• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire storage

strum

A friend come by yesterday and we were in my shop  when he noticed my new set of Pilot 4 Gts sitting on a bench he says "dont store them laying flat stacked"
I dont expect them to be there much longer but this is the first time i have ever heard such a statement. personally I dont think it matters . Just curios what you guys think

I think some people worry too much.
Keep them away from chemicals ( solvents )
and sources of ozone. ( electric motors )
and you’ll be fine at least for a couple of years.

works4me said:
I think some people worry too much.
Keep them away from chemicals ( solvents )
and sources of ozone. ( electric motors )
and you’ll be fine at least for a couple of years.

Oh...you mean the tires...yeah...either way...

strum said:
A friend come by yesterday and we were in my shop  when he noticed my new set of Pilot 4 Gts sitting on a bench he says "dont store them laying flat stacked"
I dont expect them to be there much longer but this is the first time i have ever heard such a statement. personally I dont think it matters . Just curios what you guys think

:)) :rotflmao:

I guess if I had to "create a reason" for not doing that, It would only be based on having the same airflow around the 99% of the tire carcass when its sitting vertical.. vs having the sidewall on one side in contact with some surface, which makes the tire a "big bowl"...
:)) :)) :))

Just kidding, I store tires in a double trash bag, sealed, and hanging form the wall on a peg... but I'm sure that's wrong also, as gravity will make them Egg shaped...
:)) :)) :)) :))

but at least they don't end up as "Mouse Hotels"...

I just sent 4 tires back to a place, and as i had to attache a return authorization note to them, I ended up using a roll of Syran Wrap, to wrap the tire holding the paperwork on the treaads... that worked good, maybe take it a step further and do the whole tire, like a shrink wrap rolled on...

He must be thinking that the weight of tires laying on top of each other will
cause the beads to compress. That makes it harder to seat the beads on the rim.
Tires I have gotten lately have a peace of cardboard inside holding the beads apart.
Leads me to think they are stacked laying on each other at some warehouse.