• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire wear history different brands

LSGiant

Below is some tire wear history. I am 230 lbs and some of this is two up. Handling of these brands was acceptable to me. This is just information do with it as you please. Everyone is different.

For the cost it looks like I should go back to the Roadsmart 3. 
The Bridgestone that was removed should have been taken off a 1000 miles earlier as it was showing metal cords
I currently have a new PR5  on the rear and a Bridgestone T31 on the front.

Front mileage         Rear mileage
12,395 Michelin PR4 10,268 Michelin PR4
12,356 Michelin PR4 8,612 Michelin PR4
13,349 Michelin PR4 9,257 Michelin PR4
7,945 Roadsmart 3 * 9,000 Michelin PR4
12,078 Roadsmart 3 9,539 Michelin PR4
                        3,916 Roadsmart 3 **
                        8,085 Roadsmart 3
                        7,066 Bridgestone T31

* Removed early for trip about 10% left
** Removed early for trip about 50% left

Good info and reference! I have a similar table tracking my own tires and mileage. Out of curiosity and for others, are you using stock suspension, or aftermarket stuff?

LSG,
Fantastic miles on the PR4 GT's. The PO of my bike claimed to get 10,000 miles out of PR2's, so your miles are highly believable.  My tire wear history is as follows. My tires tend to wear out fairly even front to back, average miles are as follows:

Brand/Model      # of Sets        Front          Rear                                Notes   
Michelin PR4(non GT)1            5600          5600  Plenty of tread left, tire got wavy, and squirmy
Avon Spirit                2            4500          5250  Front got choppy, rear center good, sides gone
Michelin PR2            3              5250          5250  Front bald all around, rear bald all around
Dunlop RS II            1              6200          xxxx    Front bald all around, but handled good. Did not try rear

My riding is a combination  50/50 typical highway and twisties. My preference right now is a RS II front/PR2 rear. I have Racetech valving up front/revalved OEM rear shock

ZG KIM

Your chart is what I am seeing. Those guys who get high miles, they don't know how good the've got it made!
Nick
2014 C-14

ZG KIM.

Thats about what I get also. Just realized that doing 500 miles a day on trips and having to replace my tires at about 5000 miles means I rode 10 days total on a set and about 100 hours of seat time.

I have no idea how someone gets such fantastic mileage out of their tires? I mean, twice what I get? The roads in WA/OR/CA are quite abrasive.

I currently have 3200 miles on my Road Smart 2's. Leaving Friday for Oregon and about 1500 miles for the 3 days total. I suspect mine will be worn out. I never run them till they are bald, just to the wear marks and a bit more.

Stock suspension, pretty loaded with gear. I weight 145 pounds. Steve's flash also.

I just swapped out a PR4 for a PR4GT.
The old PR4 had just under 10k miles on it and was bald in the centre but had 5mm of tread at the deepest point.
During the lifetime of that tyre I mostly commuted on fast straight roads with some twisties thrown in so the wear pattern is consistent with that.
If you are one of those people who mostly rides twisties, then your tyre is not going to last much over 5k as the side rubber is way softer (and grippier) than the centre rubber. If you want the grip, don't expect long lasting tyres.
Now I have the GT on the rear but I have no idea what to expect as I no longer commute by motorcycle since my crash in June 2017.
Even before COVID I worked from home 2-3 days per week and commuted by car 2-3 days.
I guess we will see.  :motonoises: :great:

The back tire I replaced was a Pirelli Angel GT with 24,750 miles on it

The Above from Turbo Joe

Jeez what kind of roads does this guy ride on?  Teflon?

Nick
2014 C-14

ghostrider990 said:
Nickrides said:

There is NO WAY....... :-\

I got 19,655 on my rear Pirelli Angel GT tire ... not quite near Nickrides. I only occasionally gun it and rarely do a hard stop. It's a blast when I do get ON IT, but it's not everyday. Thus, the reason for my high mileage on the tire.

Road Runner said:
ghostrider990 said:
Nickrides said:

There is NO WAY....... :-\

I got 19,655 on my rear Pirelli Angel GT tire ... not quite near Nickrides. I only occasionally gun it and rarely do a hard stop. It's a blast when I do get ON IT, but it's not everyday. Thus, the reason for my high mileage on the tire.

Kinda sorta related but maybe not. The longest wearing tire on my 650 Versys was an Angel, non GT, 6500 miles. It was almost smooth, got caught up in some spirited riding with some COG folks in MN/Sconi at the end.

The bike has about 73k miles on it and it's on it's 14th rear tire. I'm thinkin' it has to do with riding styles.  :motonoises: :motonoises:

Edit to add: I forgot my manners. Thanks Jeff, for posting that up.

RS III. Yeah, I guess I gotta weigh in. Abrasive roads? Aggressive riding? Maybe. All miles solo and not heavily laden (other than my lard ass at 250) with great attention to maintaining 40/42 pressures give or take 2. Just got back from a very twisty day out of 3 days with 50% straighter stuff. Tire has just under 3500 miles and is to the wear bars in the center and at 75 to 80% through the sides. Expect another 1K or so, front looks pretty good, no cupping. These have been great cornering confidence tires with good cold and wet grip, so I find it acceptable. I can hardly fathom the riding that can get 10 or 20 K out of a rear...

I barely got 5000 out of the OEM Bridgestone Since then it has been PR4's and now RS111 A lot of 2 up and New England roads. Cupping usually starts before wear bars but always change front and rear at the same time. On my 7th set of tires with 52000 on the bike.

On my current bike, I have used Angels, PR4s, and RSIIIs. I found them all to handle decently when new. I am finding that the RS III great handling seems to last longer than the others. There is no research to back this up, just what I think. When I get new tires next year, I am going to start recording the mileage and impressions every 1000 km.
I never get much more than 10 - 11000 km (6500 miles) out of my tires. I never use the bike for commuting so it is pretty much always sport riding. I never carry a passenger and when I do get to tour, my gear and I likely just hit 220 pounds. I often think I should try to ride so my tires last longer and but by the time I shift into 2nd, that idea seems silly.

I'm getting 1k mi out a rear on street, doesn't matter what brand and I'm trying all of them, GP 211-A, Diablo SC B, Q3+ B, Power B, etc. I don't get em from Frank Kinsey or Dunlop anymore but I have other sources. Couldn't imagine getting 10k from a tire....

I'm getting 1k mi out a rear on street, doesn't matter what brand and I'm trying all of them, GP 211-A, Diablo SC B, Q3+ B, Power B, etc. I don't get em from Frank Kinsey or Dunlop anymore but I have other sources. Couldn't imagine getting 10k from a tire....

I got better mileage from rear tires on my sport bikes, even the ZX1000R that was drag raced twice a week. What pressure are you running, and how are you checking it?

I'm new here and to the GTR1400. I just threw an Angel GT rear on mid trip, still have 50% of life left on the front PR3 GT. (No I normally don't mis-match, however when I bought this bike 3 days before a 6000 km road trip, I knew I would need to order a rear to meet me mid-trip).

Every bike I've owned before now I find I tend to go through about 3 fronts for every 2 rear tires. I don't 'get on her' often, but I do tend to corner hard. At least this is the explanation I've come up with for myself.

On my last set of RS2's I got 4400 front and 5540 rear.
You guys that say you get 10 k +
I hope you know how good you got it.
At least the wheels come off and go on easily!!
Nick
2014 C-14 tire eater.

Not quite the "dark side" but I'm all set to mount Bridgestone T31 GTs (seems to be an unpopular setup)
after trying PR4 a couple of times. Cost reasons ........ can't justify PR5 $ and wanted to try something else
this time. I usually get 12K - 15K km from the rear so hoping for similar. Will post next year about wear / grip /etc.