• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tires Tires Tires

silvermc12

Big Wheel
I apologize.  This has to be an "always" topic, but I need tire help.  Just got my 2006 Concours.

What is the recommendation for a matching set of 120/70/18 Fr and 150/80/16 Rr?  Just looking to replace standard manufacture sizes.  Are the Dunlop 700/701 my only choice?

I don't ride aggressively.  Probably 5,000 miles a year.

I've asked a few shops, even Kawasaki dealers and they really haven't been much help.

Thanks
Shawn

You may do what many have done and go with the 110/80-18 front and the standard 150/80-16 rear. I ran Avon AM-26's in those sizes on my 02 for many years before I did the 17" wheel conversion front and rear.

there's no real need to have matching tires with your riding style, unless it's just an anal retentive personality quirk that things have to match. I have matched manufactuer tires(Michilen) but front is a radial road pilot 4 gt, rear is bias Commander.handles smooth as silk, with no quirks,

My 2001 came (used) with matching Bridgestone Exedra Max tires. They were fine for me. I don’t push it that hard.  Not sure how many miles they had.
Currently running a rear Shinko 777 and front Continental road attack 110-80-18. After a little squirrliness during break in, I like the combo.

m in sc said:
+1 on the am26's.

I keep telling folks these ain't your daddy's bias ply tires, they ride and handle like a dream. The weird thing is these have been available for years and very few even knew about them. And if you doubt my comments about how well they handle ask Daytona Mike or anyone else who ever followed my C-10 thru the twisties.

In another discussion, a member posted that he got over 24,000 miles on a set of Dunlop E-4's {radials}..
I never got anywhere near that many miles on any tire!

Ride safe, Ted

Jim Snyder said:
You may do what many have done and with the 110/80-18 front and the standard 150/80-16 rear. I ran Avon AM-26's in those sizes on my 02 for many years before I did the 17" wheel conversion front and rear.

:beerchug: That is the correct tire size for the front.. Agreed.  110/80-18 front  (the 120/70 will be pinched on the 3 inch front rim.. the 120 is made for a wider rim 3.5 to 4.0 - which we do not have) The 110/80 is the correct sized tire for our 3 inch wide rim
I think the Avon 3D is about the best tire option out there right now for the rear as there is not a lot left to choose from.

Plus one on the AM-26s and the 110/80 front tire size. I just put a set on my 2006. Was running a Bridgestone BT45 rear and a T30 front. I was a little apprehensive about going to a bias front after having a radial. I wanted to try a matched set of tires, and it's really working nicely so far. Thanks to Jim Snyder and others in this forum for singing their praises!

My "new-to-me" `99 has Bridgestones with about 2K miles left in them -- how do the AM26s wear... (as compared to whatever).  I have no sense of Connie tire wear -- my last two heavy bikes usually got 24-26K on the fronts and about half that on the back (usually Metz 880s), but I gather that won't happen on a Connie (???)

Anyway I'll need tires shortly... thanks

-- Larry

dcstrng said:
My "new-to-me" `99 has Bridgestones with about 2K miles left in them -- how do the AM26s wear... (as compared to whatever).  I have no sense of Connie tire wear -- my last two heavy bikes usually got 24-26K on the fronts and about half that on the back (usually Metz 880s), but I gather that won't happen on a Connie (???)

-- Larry
The wear all depends on road surface. In Texas an average motorcycle tire lasts me about 5 to 6 thousand miles. The same tire in the northeast can last 8 to 10 thousand miles.  It never made sense to me that the states with the most ice and snow seem to have smooth road surfaces. Texas's famous tar and chip surface is like a horseshoeing rasp.

Riding style effects the tire wear too.
After all, everyone knows that TeXanS get less miles bekuz, we are the fastest riders....  :sign0137:
                      Particularly TeXanS that also ride in ArKanSaS
                                                      O:)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Let the FLAME's begin...  :sign0151:

Jim Snyder said:
dcstrng said:

-- Larry
The wear all depends on road surface. In Texas an average motorcycle tire lasts me about 5 to 6 thousand miles. The same tire in the northeast can last 8 to 10 thousand miles.  It never made sense to me that the states with the most ice and snow seem to have smooth road surfaces. Texas's famous tar and chip surface is like a horseshoeing rasp.

"states with the most ice and snow seem to have smooth road surfaces."

UNTIL

The frost heaves take over. Slows a body down, hence the better tire life.  :motonoises:

Jim Snyder said:
dcstrng said:

-- Larry

I wish I could get 8K miles out of a tire..I've averaged 5k for many years, both here and down in Va.;  here in Ohio, when the roads get "salted", they also use sand.. and that in effect "cuts" the rough surface.. but our roads are smoother in general, because they are quality Ashphalt Blacktop...with lots of oily snot in it.. smooth and creamy, but dangerous when wet... and they aren't made with "crushed seashell's" like the roads down south and along the coast....

connie_rider said:
Riding style effects the tire wear too.
After all, everyone knows that TeXanS get less miles bekuz, we are the fastest riders....  :sign0137:
                      Particularly TeXanS that also ride in ArKanSaS
                                                      O:)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Let the FLAME's begin...  :sign0151:

I will have to agree with Ted, we do shred some rubber when we go to Arkansas !!!  :motonoises:

Jim Snyder said:
The wear all depends on road surface. In Texas an average motorcycle tire lasts me about 5 to 6 thousand miles. The same tire in the northeast can last 8 to 10 thousand miles. 

Yikes; I may have to take a second job to afford tires... I recall reading some time ago where a guy used Metz 880 (not 888) for a long CCC run, and everyone cautioned him it would be like riding on ice, but he wanted the longer wear -- 880's will run nearly forever if twist gently and don't get aggressive with the brakes.

I have to agree with Jim Snyder on the Avon AM26 Roadrider tire. Liter-sized bikes like the C10 work great wearing V-rated bias ply tires. I just made a 13 day run from Redding, CA, to Fairbanks, AK, on a set of Roadriders. I encountered road conditions from the very good to the all f**ked up, sometimes with little or no warning, with rain regularly. The Roadriders were confidence-inspiring under all conditions. The only times I ever got that eebie-jeebie feeling was going over those metal-decked bridges where the bars don’t line up, especially the ones with the little hop every 40 feet on unaligned bars. No loss of control, just a feeling. I challenge any tire to do metal bridge decks(usually wet) comfortably. After roughly 7000 miles, the rear center sipes are almost gone, but the front tire looks ready for another 7000. The 110/80-18 front seems to have a little quicker response than the 120, but the only time you really notice is when you forget to put your foot down at a stop light while having the bars turned. Love these tires and will continue to use them.

Thanks Rastus,
  It's ironic that this tire has been around for so long and few knew it existed. It's always been available in stock sizes and the handling is amazing. I ran the AM-26's all the way to the edge of the tread on many Arkansas twisty trips and they always performed flawlessly. It's like I said a dozen times, the AM-26's ain't your daddy's bias ply tires.

I didn’t have much doubt about trying the Avon’s after you recommended them Jim, as I had previously used v-rated bias ply tires exclusively on my Z1-R back in the 80’s and 90’s, with good success, and I rode that bike way faster and harder in the corners than I ride my C10.

Well I ordered the garden variety Dunlop 700/701 combination... wasn't really clear on what to order with the Avons (or others), and since Connie tires apparently wear out in a couple of weekends, I figure I had an extra month or so to get educated -- and by then may have deciphered the code on tires.

dcstrng said:
Well I ordered the garden variety Dunlop 700/701 combination... wasn't really clear on what to order with the Avons (or others), and since Connie tires apparently wear out in a couple of weekends, I figure I had an extra month or so to get educated -- and by then may have deciphered the code on tires.
Always come to the forum first before buying tires, that's why we are here. You will not like the 700/701's.

Jim Snyder said:
You will not like the 700/701's.

Well, I can always frame `em and hang them on the wall in the shop -- I wandered about the forum, but what I couldn't seem to figure out was going to the 110 from v. 120, and then what...  In any case, I'm not a fan of Dunlop (in any fashion), but then I don't ride hard enough to push the tires much either, so I could probably take the ones off a Schwinn and get by...

I would'nt worry about it. You'll be just fine with the type of riding you do, and the 110-120 thing is nothing to waste time worrying about. Both sizes are in use on hundreds of bikes with no noticeable differences, its only one or two guys that think its a big deal, its only a tire width difference of a little more than 1/4 inch.Try not to fixate on having matching tires and you'll find many many choices out there.

An update on the mileage on Avon AM26’s. My 110/80 front currently has about 14,000 miles on it, and has worn evenly, and appears ready for thousands of miles more. The 150/80 rear that was put on at the same time, was changed out after about 8500 miles, which included a run to Alaska and back on some bad roads. I don’t burn my rear tire on launch, although I do accelerate hard sometimes. The current rear, with around 5500 on it, appears to have a couple thousand miles more.

Rastus said:
An update on the mileage on Avon AM26’s. My 110/80 front currently has about 14,000 miles on it, and has worn evenly, and appears ready for thousands of miles more. The 150/80 rear that was put on at the same time, was changed out after about 8500 miles, which included a run to Alaska and back on some bad roads. I don’t burn my rear tire on launch, although I do accelerate hard sometimes. The current rear, with around 5500 on it, appears to have a couple thousand miles more.
That is awesome mileage. It still baffles me that more folks have not tried these tires. They have been available in C-10 sizes for years. I ran several sets when I had my 02 Silverbullet and they were great tires with tons of grip.

As to mileage on the Avon AM26 Roadrider tires, after 14,000 miles, my 110/80-18 front looks good and appears to have thousands more miles. The 150/80-16 rear lasted about 8500 miles till almost bald, and the second rear appears 2/3 worn out after around 5500 miles. The AM26 Roadrider tires have great grip, even under adverse weather and road conditions(think Alaska). Will continue to run these tires on my C10 as long as they make them.

I've never had a set of Avons, but common sense would dictate that if its going 18000 miles its not really a grippy tire, for your level of riding it might be really grippy,but compared to a real grippy tire that wears out in 3000mi its probably as grippy as a chunk of granite.Those factory racer dudes would pay loads of money for a tire compound that was capable of doing what your claiming.

am26's are grippy, some of the AHRMA guys run them on the track bikes actually. (usually they run the AM22's as well). they have a deep pattern. I run them on my smaller bikes, and i ride them very aggressively. they are sticky, make no doubt.  But if oyu are relatively gentle on them, they do last quite long.

I get about 4-4.5k out of a rear on the rd's, thats it. maybe 7 on the front.  I bought a set for the concours, they work way better than expected on such a pig of a bike.

Daytona_Mike said:
Jim Snyder said:
You may do what many have done and with the 110/80-18 front and the standard 150/80-16 rear. I ran Avon AM-26's in those sizes on my 02 for many years before I did the 17" wheel conversion front and rear.

:beerchug: That is the correct tire size for the front.. Agreed.  110/80-18 front  (the 120/70 will be pinched on the 3 inch front rim.. the 120 is made for a wider rim 3.5 to 4.0 - which we do not have) The 110/80 is the correct sized tire for our 3 inch wide rim
I think the Avon 3D is about the best tire option out there right now for the rear as there is not a lot left to choose from.

Why do you say that the 110/ 80 is the correct size tire for the front when Kawasaki says it should be 120/70?

Thanks

Its just another opinion, either size will work just fine and both have been used for many years will great reviews, don't get hung up with one opposing view, now if fifty people tell you something you might want to investigate their advice.

Wantabeach, {as I understand it} the 120 size is a bit too wide for the OEM Rim.
The tire that came with the bike was actually an undersized 120.

The 110 is the correct size for the rim, and the different tire profile helps with turn in... (Slightly better handling}

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Wantabeach, {as I understand it} the 120 size is a bit too wide for the OEM Rim.
The tire that came with the bike was actually an undersized 120.

The 110 is the correct size for the rim, and the different tire profile helps with turn in... (Slightly better handling}

Ride safe, Ted

the 110/80 was the specified tire for pre '94 models, but changed....

'94 and up models specified the 120/70 tire... as that was when the rim, front brakes, and subsequently the bearings, changed.
it should be noted on the under seat sticker on the model year in question..

interesting dimensional differences that changed during the "new front setup" were minimal, but noted.
Length remained the same
Trail remained the same
Overall weight went from 265kg to 270kg
front tire curb weight went from 142kg to 144kg
rear curb weight went from 160kg to 163kg

Now we know, thats gotta be the correct reason as my 2004 C-10 A-19 manual designates only the use of 120/70 tire with no mention about anything under or oversized.

What hasn’t been mentioned is the bespoke Dunlop 701 front tire
supplied as OE measures only 111MM and while labeled 120/70
is designed to fit a 3” rim.
To me, this makes the 110/80 size wholly appropriate.

Many of us ran the 110/80 front tire for years with no issues. And the Dunlop 700/701 OEM tires were the worst.

I have been very happy with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT on the front and Michelin Commander II on the rear.

With that said, I recently got a nail in the Commander II and a local dealer has a Dunlop Elite 4 bias ply 150/80-16 on sale for $140. Does anyone have experience with the Dunlop Elite 4? Thanks in advance!

Paxton
Springfield, MO

The nail caused a leak and I put a screw coated with marine bellows adhesive in it to stop the leak. It's got less than half tread left anyway, and the front is nearly new, so yes I'm going to replace it.

It's fascinating to read a Connie thread on tires by people who generally don't live or ride in the PNW, as tire preferences out here revolve so heavily around wet traction. When I used to ride the Seattle Bainbridge Island ferry every day, you get a massive number of motorcycles headed on and off each boat during commute hours. If it's a sport touring bike of any persuasion, they are almost certain to have PR4 GT's. I rode those for a set or two and liked them fine. Get 5-8. I'm currently using the Metzeler Sport Tec 01, and am very pleased. Unlike the siping on the front tire of the PR4, the Metzeler wears more uniformly and seems to hold grip smoother in the corners.

It's all about wet weather traction around these parts. And we generally replace our tires more frequently as you need all the depth in those rain grooves you can get.

Silver: Why do your tires have to be matching? You can mix and match all you want. Bias in front and radial in rear. Yes, you can. And you can go back to regular oil in an engine after using synthetic. Yes. Forget the folklore from the common man. Try different tires. No tire is perfect. There is however a worst tire: The Metzeler ME880. It's downright dangerous. If you like skating on wet roads this would be the tire. I can spin the back tire on a wet road without even downshifting from 6th gear at 80mph. No joke. And the front tire is a 130 width. Heck even a 120 is too wide. I recommend a 110 width. I've dabble with 100 width and found no real difference between 110 and 100. I'm not sure which model I liked the most but it was definitely a Shinko. They also make a rear that was amazingly grippy and long lasting. I think the model was 777 or something like that. Again, no best tire. But I can tell you what to avoid if you want to survive  on a wet road.

An update on the Avon AM-26s. This summer, I put over 22,000 miles on my 03 C-10, on AM-26s. I rode in 34 states and 4 Canadian provinces, on all types of road surfaces. I got over 21,000 miles out of my front tire before it was worn to the wear bars. I got between 7500 and 8500 miles out of the rears. I don’t believe you can find a better tire for the C-10. It’s hard to find a matched set in most brands, but the Avon’s in 110/80-18 and 150/60-16 definitely work, and the price is very reasonable.

Douglas-The biggest reason to run the same brand and model of tire is the tread compound. Different brands/ models have different stickiness/ handling characteristics. I’ve found that radials on the back of my C-10 don’t last. I have run a radial on the front and bias ply on the back, but did not like the feel in fast corners. After running Avon bias ply Roadriders all summer(22,000+ miles), I have found the best tire for my bike, bar none.

Rastus said:
An update on the Avon AM-26s. This summer, I put over 22,000 miles on my 03 C-10, on AM-26s. I rode in 34 states and 4 Canadian provinces, on all types of road surfaces. I got over 21,000 miles out of my front tire before it was worn to the wear bars. I got between 7500 and 8500 miles out of the rears. I don’t believe you can find a better tire for the C-10. It’s hard to find a matched set in most brands, but the Avon’s in 110/80-18 and 150/60-16 definitely work, and the price is very reasonable.
Like I've been telling folks for the last few years, the AM-26's are an awesome tire that's been available in C-10 sizes for years.
And I think you meant to say 150/80-16 instead of 150/60.

I tried a set of the AM-26's on my c10.  I only got about 3300 miles on the rear and it was down to the cords.  :mad:  I  will say a little over a third of those miles were on the Arkansas twisties.  :motonoises:.  I  replaced it with a Shinko 777 because I was told riders were getting between 7 to 10k miles on them.  In the meantime I bought a c14 so I can't comment much on the 777.
If I  was to keep the c10,  I would probably stick with the xm3D because I got 5k out of the rear and really liked the way they handled.
Just my  .02

Ride safe

I’ve been using Shinko 777 rears on my C-10 for years.
I consistently get 2 seasons / 12K miles from each one.
While those are mostly highway commuting miles
I wouldn’t say I baby them. Central PA doesn’t have
very many straight roads.

I have to agree with Jim Snyder on the Avon AM26 Roadrider tire. Liter-sized bikes like the C10 work great wearing V-rated bias ply tires. I just made a 13 day run from Redding, CA, to Fairbanks, AK, on a set of Roadriders. I encountered road conditions from the very good to the all f**ked up, sometimes with little or no warning, with rain regularly. The Roadriders were confidence-inspiring under all conditions. The only times I ever got that eebie-jeebie feeling was going over those metal-decked bridges where the bars don’t line up, especially the ones with the little hop every 40 feet on unaligned bars. No loss of control, just a feeling. I challenge any tire to do metal bridge decks(usually wet) comfortably. After roughly 7000 miles, the rear center sipes are almost gone, but the front tire looks ready for another 7000. The 110/80-18 front seems to have a little quicker response than the 120, but the only time you really notice is when you forget to put your foot down at a stop light while having the bars turned. Love these tires and will continue to use them.
It appears Avon is out of stock of these fronts and doesn't carry the rears any more.. Oh heck! The only choice right now is Bridgestone Battlecruisers @ F$181 and R$203. In Canada where I live they're 1/3 more expensive.

Last edited:
Can you mail order? If so, what would the (Canadian) price be on Metzler Roadtec M8?
I went to the 110/80-ZR18 (Radial) in the M8 and really like it on my C-10.

Many use a radial on the front and a Bias ply on the rear with good results. Reports are that it helps do away with wobble.

Being me; I opted to be different.
I wanted a stiffer/lower profile (Radial) rear tire, so (instead of the 150/80-16) I installed a 180/60R-16 on the rear.
NOTE: A 180/60R-16 is not recommended to install on the narrow C-10 rear rim.
It can be done but squeezing the 180 onto the rim changes the tires profile.
(Which is exactly what I wanted). <sneaky grin>
ie; The altered profile makes the turn in "quick" / fun on the twisties.

Another Note; Unfortunately Metzler does not make a Z8 tire in the 180/60R-16 size so I had to purchase a Shinko SE-890 to get the size/tread combination I wanted in a Radial.

I like the combination!

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited: