• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

To part of not to part

canman

Hello All,
I'm a newbie to this forums but I am a long time Kaw owner/fan from ZRXOA.
  I recently picked up a low mile 2016 C14 from a salvage auction and I am either going to find a high mile bike from someone looking to trade in and swap the driveline or part this bike out to get my money back. I intended to repair this bike originally but i didn't know the frame was also damaged until I pulled all the fairings. I always wanted a Connie but never had the money when the opportunities came up so I am hoping to low buck it with some effort if possible.
From what I have read it looks like I need a 2010 or newer bike to be compatible. Is this correct or will an 08,09 also work?

What are the specifics of the frame damage? I have ridden many a mile on bikes with "totaled" frames from an insurance adjuster for merely cosmetic or repairable damage. That's just me. I was on the ZRXOA for a while, had a 2003 1200 that I bought totaled with a bent frame. Made a straightening jig and got it back to within 1 degree...as good or better than factory spec of 2 degrees. Put 1000 miles on it then sold it to a friend.

So I think 08 and 09 are different enough in many respects to not cross directly over, a minor change in 2015 but you should be compatible up to current. Send pics!!

I'll put up some pics tomorrow when I have good light but the frame looks pretty bad and the whole front end is toast. In my state it would have to have it inspected too make it legal again so there would have to be no visible evidence of frame damage or tampering. It looks like the clean titled 08/09 models with about 50k miles are selling for fairly low (under 4k) prices so I was hoping that would be the way to go. Would my engine be compatible with that generation or is that one of the changes you are referring to?I
I still have that 03 ZRX and love it but it's no touring rig like I hope this Connie will be for me some day..

Welcome and good luck with your project.  I've just recently gone the other direction.  Been on the 14 since 2012.  5 months ago I went to South Dakota to pick up a pristine example of a ZRX.  It was beautiful. On my first ride after getting home a dog attacked me.  The subsequent wreck kept me out of work for 4 months.  I'm just now getting back in the swing of things and have already replaced the ZRX although with one that was not in nearly so good a condition.  I think you will find the folks on this site are an amazing resource.  Anyway again welcome. 

I'm having trouble posting pics here because I don't know how to resize on my new.phone.but the frame is cra lex on both sides.to the point that I wouldn't feel safe riding it.even if.it was.repaired. I am going to continue looking for an inexpensive
High mile bike with a clean title undamaged frame before parting of i can't.
Sorry to hear about that run in with the mad dog. i love pooches but he would have been a speed bump if it were me or him...
Thanks for the welcomes and I look forward to using your experienced others with this model and maybe I can help you make your ZRX better if you wish.

That's the good side.
It has the original tires and the rear tire has almost no wear so I bet it has really low miles. I've yet to be able to confirm however because it didn't come with a transponder. I got it to semi power up by disconnect it the gray connector and manually pushing the ignition switch solenoid shut but the screen doesn't power up. Only the neutral and oil light come on. No fuel pump noise either. Is there a fuel cutoff reset i need to hit post accident?

I did pull in the clutch lever too btw. Will a passive fob help? I brought the salvage title to my Kaw dealer and was told since I only have the main stove knob key i would need to buy a new ECU, active fob and have it reprogrammed at their shop. Is there another option to check the miles and condition of motor? Any help would be appreciated.

My opinion. I think if you’re patient you could part what you have and have enough to pick up a rideable used 08 or 09.

Thanks for the reply and I think you're right. If it wasn't for the KIpass system i would have been tempted to use at least use the motor in a reverse trike. My current touring bike 09 BMW 800 st isn't the greatest for long highway trips so I will eventually upgrade at some point. I'm just going to give it another week or two to see if someone near NJ considering trading in a high mile 10up Connie would rather trade for a lighter low mile (20k)bike or sell for a reasonable price to someone besides a dealer.

If you dont have a Fob, you will need a new Kipass set up as well, i would return the bike and get your money back fast!

The 08 and 08 have different bodywork then the 2010 and newer years. So the attachment points for the fairing bits arent compatible.