• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Top Case questions

DanZX14

Tricycle
I just bought a C-14 2017 and I plan on buying a top case for it in a near future.
I like the look of the KQR 47 from Kawasaki but was disappointed that it's rated for up to 5kg maximum.
So I looked at the Givi top case with a MonoKey system as they are rated for up to 10kg.

I will probably go with one of those: V47NN Tech, E52 or Maxia 4 V56 Tech.

Do anyone knows if at least one of these support flasher and brake light separately or its brake only or?

From what I read the Kawasaki optional rack is not compatible with MonoKey right?
So for a better and sturdier rack that is compatible with MonoKey, what are you recommending?
I also read somewhere that there is at least one rack that may be installed in a way that it gives more room for the passenger but don't remember which?  Anyone can comment this?

And finally, can someone explain the required parts?
I mean, I need a rack, mounting kit?? (not oncluded with the rack?) and of course the top case :)

Oh and is there any top case beside the Kawasaki that can use the bike's key to open / lock the top case ?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences

I bought and like the Phil's Rack.
I highly recommend it...
Well made, and he sells mounts for Monolock or Monokey.
NOTE: He currently has 1 Monolock mount in stock...

If you buy any type trunk, it can be attached to his Rack.
  Givi sells a Mount with their trunks.
  Kawasaki sells a universal mount for their earlier OEM/Monolock Trunks.
  Kawasaki sells a rack/mount for their current OEM/Monokey Trunks. (Will fit a E-52)

Having said all of that I recommend you contact Phillip and discuss details with him.

There is currently another discussion going on about the Monokey/Monolock installations.
I'll attach it here. Pay particular interest to posts 4 5 6...
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/does-anyone-have-a-kawasaki-kqr-47l-top-case-mounted-on-an-after-market-rack/msg632516/#msg632516

Lastly, go to the top of the Forum and do a search for Trunks Racks etc..
  Lots of discussions have happened in the past.

I wouldn't worry to much about the rating on the trunks.
Whatever you can fit in them will be ok as long as you don't get crazy..
Most that camp/travel exceed the kg rating regularly.
  In the case of the stock Kawasaki rack and rails, they are the weak link, not the trunk itself...

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I bought and like the Phil's Rack.
I highly recommend it...
Well made, and he sells mounts for Monolock or Monokey.
NOTE: He currently has 1 Monokey mount in stock...

If you buy any type trunk, it can be attached to his Rack.
Givi sells a Mount with their trunks.
Kawasaki sells a universal mount for their earlier OEM/Monolock Trunks.

Having said all of that I recommend you contact Phillip and discuss details with him.

There is currently another discussion going on about the Monokey/Monolock installations.
I'll attach it here. Pat particular interest to posts 4 5 6...
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/does-anyone-have-a-kawasaki-kqr-47l-top-case-mounted-on-an-after-market-rack/msg632516/#msg632516

Lastly, go to the top of the Forum and do a search for Trunks Racks etc..
  Lots of discussions have happened in the past.

I wouldn't worry to much about the rating on the trunks.
Whatever you can fit in them will be ok as long as you don't get crazy..
Most that camp/travel exceed the kg rating regularly.
  In the case of the stock Kawasaki rack and rails, they are the weak link, not the trunk itself...

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, I think the thread mentions Phil has one monolock in stock.  :)

I agree I sed Monokey, meant Monolock.    :-[
The 1; That's why I told him to Pay particular interest to posts 4 5 6...

Thanx, Ted

I just installed a brake kit on my V47 tech which is mounted on my Ducati. I did a lot of research and never saw anything about brake and signal light kits. I have a Maxi 55 on my Concours, I made my own rack out of 1/4" aluminum plate but it was a lot of work, Phill's rack is a lot easier and quality at a reasonable price. As someone said the Kawi limitation is due to the flimsy plastic oem rack. I have many thousands of miles with my Maxia loaded with 18 pounds of stuff.

Ok, hate to bring an old thread back but I feel like the more I read and search the more confused I’m getting. Maybe someone can clarify something for me.

Is there a rack or mounting plate that will let me use a Givi 47L top case with the brake light kit that is not the plastic givi ones.

From what I understand philsfarcels one is awesome but I see nothing about the light kit option, the same for advanced sport touring,  both can be setup to take the top case but I see no hole for the light kit connection. The plastic givi mount has a hole you punch out and the quick connect is in that spot.

Anyone running a givi top case with brake light and aluminum rack? If so please share what rack.

Thank you and sorry for long post.

New Connie Owner and still learning...thanks!

My rack does NOT have a cut-out for use with the socket that supports a contact when the trunk is attached. I think only the GIVI plastic racks have the space for the socket. I also don’t recommend cutting the socket hole as it would severely weaken my rack. For those who want the light kit, a simple pull-apart connector seems to do the trick.

Sometimes I’m able to get the mounting kits for MonoLOCK trunks, but it depends on the supplier. I probably sell 1,000 to 1 of the MonoKEY Vs. MonoLOCK.

I think the MonoKEY system is much better and the MonoKEY trunks are usually better quality, as the MonoLOCKs are designed for scooters.

As someone said, the C-14 grab-rails are hollow plastic and the weight limits are probably determined by Lawyers instead of Engineers. 

At one time Givi made an aluminum Monokey rack with the lighting harness punchout, I still have mine on my 08 Concours. I bought probably it 15 years or more ago and I don't think they are making them out of aluminum anymore.

I had one on my c10 and had problems with the contacts on the givi rack staying in contact with the case. 

On my c14.  G ivi maxia monokey.  Previous owner had installed the Admore brake/tail/turn signal kit.  It WAS hardwired in, but i was able to find a wp  connector so that i could take the trunk off.  Admore circuit board resides in the trunk out of the elements.

konehead said:
I had one on my c10 and had problems with the contacts on the givi rack staying in contact with the case. 

On my c14.  G ivi maxia monokey.  Previous owner had installed the Admore brake/tail/turn signal kit.  It WAS hardwired in, but i was able to find a wp  connector so that i could take the trunk off.  Admore circuit board resides in the trunk out of the elements.
My admore kit failed. I had too much free play in the topcase latch and  I think the off and on killed the circuit board. After that I bought the HUB kit at a recent Star and used some water proof quick connectors for it that worked real well. The only time I ever take my topcase off is when I get a flat rear tire. I can't get the C14 on the center stand with a flat tire and the topcase on.

Awesome, thanks all for the help. I’ve decided to forego the light kit and just go with the givi 47L and aluminum rack using the sw-motech setup. I’ll probably put some reflective tape on the top case and side bags. Great forum and appreciate the quick responses.

Just bought a used Givi Maxia 4 V56nnt from a local C14 owner who is selling his bike.

It's gonna replace the ancient NonFango 852 that currently sits on my C14.

Just ordered the E160 brake light kit for the Givi, which I'm hoping will be adequate.
If not, then I will just have to see what other options there are for high-level brake lights.  :great:

Mitsurugi78 said:
Ok, hate to bring an old thread back but I feel like the more I read and search the more confused I’m getting. Maybe someone can clarify something for me.

Is there a rack or mounting plate that will let me use a Givi 47L top case with the brake light kit that is not the plastic givi ones.

From what I understand philsfarcels one is awesome but I see nothing about the light kit option, the same for advanced sport touring,  both can be setup to take the top case but I see no hole for the light kit connection. The plastic givi mount has a hole you punch out and the quick connect is in that spot.

Anyone running a givi top case with brake light and aluminum rack? If so please share what rack.

Thank you and sorry for long post.

New Connie Owner and still learning...thanks!

I have a 2012 and use Phil’s rack, with a Givi 56 maxia and Admore light kit.  You can hookup lights to any top case that has a light kit.  Honestly, I’m disappointed with the light kit.  The LED bulbs bulbs are too tiny and the light kit isn’t very bright especially during the day time.  It has has a weird flash pattern/sequence too.  Look for any example on youtube.