• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Touring Seat or Seth Laam

hosspower

Bicycle
So I am in line to have a Seth Laam seat built next month. However I have been reading reviews of the Kawasaki Touring seat that seem very favorable. All the reviews were a bit old and of course you can't get heat.
Anyone have experience with both seats and willing to share some thoughts?
TIA
Rob

The touring seat is the stock seat on the 2015-up bikes. I've been on it but not for any time at all. I have been on my stock '12 saddle (horrible) a low gel kawasaki seat (what's generally on my bike) and a Seth Laam I use when on rides longer than 300 miles.  The Laam is a very nice seat, IMO. Steve

I rode on my 2016 oem seat for several thousand miles
That seat was sent to LAAM as the core for his seat build
In the interim, I purchased a Sargent World Sport performance
When I received the LAAM seat, I sold the Sargent seat
so...
The Sargent seat, to me, wasn't as comfortable as the oem seat
I slid forward on the Sargent more than the oem and the Sargent was very firm
Both Sargent and oem seats had near identical butt-pan locations

The 2016 oem is nice improvement compared to my 2008 oem seat
It rivals the Sargent, imo
My 2016 oem seat wasn't as comfortable as the LAAM

The LAAM seat was built to my spec with a 1"rise and a 1-1/2" set-back on the butt-pan and, of course, the wings as sculpted by LAAM
The LAAM solved my knee issues as well as eliminating the slide-forward tendency
I like the LAAM, it was a bit firm at first, as some may attest but the LAAM foam broke-in

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
The touring seat is the stock seat on the 2015-up bikes. I've been on it but not for any time at all. I have been on my stock '12 saddle (horrible) a low gel kawasaki seat (what's generally on my bike) and a Seth Laam I use when on rides longer than 300 miles.  The Laam is a very nice seat, IMO. Steve

It is not very often that I disagree with Steve----but the Kawasaki Touring seat is not the same as the seat on the 2015 bikes. I have the Touring Seat,  the shape and materials are slightly different. ( I was just at the dealership 3 days ago getting an air filter and some rear diff oil for my spring maintenance--and saw a nice 2017 sitting on the floor for comparison.) Sorry Steve--- :beerchug:
As far as the Touring Seat comfort goes----it is 1000% better than the stock seat. I used to get "hot spots" on my upper thighs after a few hours with the stock one. I do not get any with the Touring Seat. Also, the padding is much more supportive all around---you can feel the difference immediately.
I have gone from Canada to Georgia and back on the Touring Seat with no issues----I would not have been able to do so with the stock seat. I hope this helps.

I have had the Sargent, the Corbin, and the Kawasaki Touring seat. Out of all of them the Kawasaki Touring seat is the most comfortable for me.

I love Sargent seats. I had one on my RC51 and the C14. The RC15 seat was great. The seat for the C14 was okay, but not quite firm enough for me. Initially is was great, then after about 16,000 miles or so, I felt it had degraded too much.  I used this seat for many 800+ mile days. I ride the bike a lot from Pittsburgh to Iowa, in one shot. One way is usually between 750-820, depending on the route and where I stop in Iowa first. I also did Miami to Pittsburgh in less than 24 hours on the Sargent. a little over 1,100 miles that day.

The Corbin, for me, was horrific. I told them when I ordered it I am not a large overweight person with a big a**, so I did not need the huge dished area, and didn't want to sit so far back. I wanted the seating position to be as the stock position. They of course said they would make me the seat the way I wanted, and then proceeded to ship me their normal seat, which was dished too much, and placed me too far back. I love firm seats. What I really hated about the Corbin, was the pronounced hump. Without a lot of fat to raise me up off the hump, parts I would rather not get numb, got numb, at least that then took away the horrific pain. The Corbin was a good platform for an Airhawk though. I put another 13,000 miles on the Corbin, and finally got them to agree to rework the seat. I really just wanted the hump cut out. They didn't want to do that, and instead said they would build the seat up to remove the large dished area. They did that for only the cost of shipping. The result was a better shaped seat, but the hump still caused pain, since they didn't reshape the foam before adding softer foam to the top. I ended up reshaping the foam myself. I put another 5-6,000 mile on the reworked seat, but it still was more comfortable with the Airhawk, and still put be farther back than I wanted. With the Corbin, I did many 800+ days, many with my wife onboard. She liked the way the passenger seat was shaped on the Corbin.

I found someone selling a new, in the box Kawasaki Touring seat, and bought it. It puts me in position I like best, and is very comfortable. I have run a few 900 mile days with it and many 700+ days. It seems more comfortable to me, without the Airhawk. I do not slide on the seat, and the position has helped ease any sore muscles I would get in my shoulder with the other seats. The foam gives, but is firm and doesn't seem to change on long days. It give me support, and cushion at the same time. I love the seat and have since sold the Sargent, good seat though it is. My wife misses sitting up high like the Corbin was, but she finds it is comfortable, and she is protected from the wind a bit more. I wish I had this seat a long time ago. It should be standard equipment on the C14.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I ordered a touring seat  from the local dealer who assured me there would be no issue to return the seat if it isn't up to my expectations. It was a bit more money than ordering online but no shipping to deal with if I don't like it.

I guess that I am writing this too late, but I would put my money into a Laam seat. I have many 1000+ mile days in the saddle and this was possible because of the custom fit saddle. Seth is great to work with and understands comfort issues.

Sailor_chic said:
I guess that I am writing this too late, but I would put my money into a Laam seat. I have many 1000+ mile days in the saddle and this was possible because of the custom fit saddle. Seth is great to work with and understands comfort issues.

Hi,
      ++1! >:D

Attachments

• tumblr_p2r21hcryT1v1gz89o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p2r21hcryT1v1gz89o1_1280.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 307
Sailor_chic said:

Did your seat improve/break in after riding it awhile? Mine is a little uncomfy but I plan on riding a while before asking for an Adjustment! Used the pegs yesterday for first time  Was nice to stretch out!

My LAAM was initially "uncomfy" as well. I was surprised.

It definitely did improve/break-in.

I've had mine 1 year this month.

FTB530 said:
Sailor_chic said:

Did your seat improve/break in after riding it awhile? Mine is a little uncomfy but I plan on riding a while before asking for an Adjustment! Used the pegs yesterday for first time  Was nice to stretch out!

I guess mine broke in after a little bit. This seat I have now wasnt my first custom seat, so I knew what I wanted when I ordered it.

Glad that you liked your highway pegs  :beerchug:

I loved my Laam. I like my Baldwin....a lot....but I loved my Laam. Probably should have bought the bike back post crash just for the Laam.

what is the height of the LAAM vs. the stock?

Been looking at Sargent seat but reading this makes me wonder... I like the idea of the Sargent making it lower. My riding is at the most 2-3 hours at one shot

Wolverine said:

Been looking at Sargent seat but reading this makes me wonder... I like the idea of the Sargent making it lower. My riding is at the most 2-3 hours at one shot

Height is the same 

Throttle 8 said:
Steve in Sunny Fla said:

It is not very often that I disagree with Steve----but the Kawasaki Touring seat is not the same as the seat on the 2015 bikes. I have the Touring Seat,  the shape and materials are slightly different. ( I was just at the dealership 3 days ago getting an air filter and some rear diff oil for my spring maintenance--and saw a nice 2017 sitting on the floor for comparison.) Sorry Steve--- :beerchug:
As far as the Touring Seat comfort goes----it is 1000% better than the stock seat. I used to get "hot spots" on my upper thighs after a few hours with the stock one. I do not get any with the Touring Seat. Also, the padding is much more supportive all around---you can feel the difference immediately.
I have gone from Canada to Georgia and back on the Touring Seat with no issues----I would not have been able to do so with the stock seat. I hope this helps.
i'm afraid steve is mistaken, i have a 2016 and i purchased the kaw touring seat, it's much different than my stock seat, not to mention a welcome improvement... :sorry:

I have had both and here are my observations:

First, the touring seat is completely different than the stock seat. The touring seat is also considerable more comfortable than the stock seat. I find I do not feel like I am sliding forward on the touring seat.

Between the Laam and the touring seat, I liked the touring seat better. Both are big improvements over stock.

Now that Baldwin is back in biz, that would be where I would go next.   

I just bought one and I have one complain about the Kaw touring seat. I'm not sure if mine is defective or if this is the way they come from Kawasaki.

In both of the seating areas it seems that the outside cover doesn't stick to the pad (or whatever is directly under the cover). It's like they needed to spray some stickum on the pad(s) before the installation of the cover and this wasn't done. So if you press your hand down on the cover there's a pocket of air that gets forced out on both the driver's and the passenger's seating area. It's not a big deal but it just doesn't seem right and with this pocket or air I'm concerned that the seat could rip more easily. Once you sit on it the air pocket goes away of course.

You guys that have this seat, is yours like that?

I could take some pics if you don't get what I'm asking? 

The one I tried had the same thing. It was like the cover was pulled tight above the foam. I wondered if it would go away with time in the seat. I didn't keep mine long enough to find out.

Conrad said:
I just bought one and I have one complain about the Kaw touring seat. I'm not sure if mine is defective or if this is the way they come from Kawasaki.

In both of the seating areas it seems that the outside cover doesn't stick to the pad (or whatever is directly under the cover). It's like they needed to spray some stickum on the pad(s) before the installation of the cover and this wasn't done. So if you press your hand down on the cover there's a pocket of air that gets forced out on both the driver's and the passenger's seating area. It's not a big deal but it just doesn't seem right and with this pocket or air I'm concerned that the seat could rip more easily. Once you sit on it the air pocket goes away of course.

You guys that have this seat, is yours like that?

I could take some pics if you don't get what I'm asking?

I also answered on a different post of yours regarding this, but here is another positive. With the cover not attached, and with an air pocket between it and the foam, it will transfer less heat to the foam itself when it is sitting in the sun.

Thanks for the replies on the touring seat gentlemen. I just wanted to see if mine was like the rest of them.

I have a stock seat, a Laam and the Kawa Touring seat. I recently picked up the touring seat from a forum member before a trip to Colorado. For me it was a big improvement over the Laam which was a big improvement over the stock seat. I think I've finally found my seat with this touring model Kawa has. We did 2700 miles in six days and my butt didn't start to complain until we had been on the road for 7 or 8 hours and by then the rest of me was ready to get off the bike too.

Hosspower said:
So I am in line to have a Seth Laam seat built next month. However I have been reading reviews of the Kawasaki Touring seat that seem very favorable. All the reviews were a bit old and of course you can't get heat.
Anyone have experience with both seats and willing to share some thoughts?
TIA
Rob

I've had both. The touring seat works better for me.

Phil said:
I have had the Sargent, the Corbin, and the Kawasaki Touring seat. Out of all of them the Kawasaki Touring seat is the most comfortable for me.

I love Sargent seats. I had one on my RC51 and the C14. The RC15 seat was great. The seat for the C14 was okay, but not quite firm enough for me. Initially is was great, then after about 16,000 miles or so, I felt it had degraded too much.  I used this seat for many 800+ mile days. I ride the bike a lot from Pittsburgh to Iowa, in one shot. One way is usually between 750-820, depending on the route and where I stop in Iowa first. I also did Miami to Pittsburgh in less than 24 hours on the Sargent. a little over 1,100 miles that day.

The Corbin, for me, was horrific. I told them when I ordered it I am not a large overweight person with a big a**, so I did not need the huge dished area, and didn't want to sit so far back. I wanted the seating position to be as the stock position. They of course said they would make me the seat the way I wanted, and then proceeded to ship me their normal seat, which was dished too much, and placed me too far back. I love firm seats. What I really hated about the Corbin, was the pronounced hump. Without a lot of fat to raise me up off the hump, parts I would rather not get numb, got numb, at least that then took away the horrific pain. The Corbin was a good platform for an Airhawk though. I put another 13,000 miles on the Corbin, and finally got them to agree to rework the seat. I really just wanted the hump cut out. They didn't want to do that, and instead said they would build the seat up to remove the large dished area. They did that for only the cost of shipping. The result was a better shaped seat, but the hump still caused pain, since they didn't reshape the foam before adding softer foam to the top. I ended up reshaping the foam myself. I put another 5-6,000 mile on the reworked seat, but it still was more comfortable with the Airhawk, and still put be farther back than I wanted. With the Corbin, I did many 800+ days, many with my wife onboard. She liked the way the passenger seat was shaped on the Corbin.

I found someone selling a new, in the box Kawasaki Touring seat, and bought it. It puts me in position I like best, and is very comfortable. I have run a few 900 mile days with it and many 700+ days. It seems more comfortable to me, without the Airhawk. I do not slide on the seat, and the position has helped ease any sore muscles I would get in my shoulder with the other seats. The foam gives, but is firm and doesn't seem to change on long days. It give me support, and cushion at the same time. I love the seat and have since sold the Sargent, good seat though it is. My wife misses sitting up high like the Corbin was, but she finds it is comfortable, and she is protected from the wind a bit more. I wish I had this seat a long time ago. It should be standard equipment on the C14.

Why do I not know This Pittsburgh Phil  :eek: :beerchug:

Wolverine said:

Interested to see how this turned out. Laam added height to mine that feels perfect. I put the Baldwin on yesterday to ride down and back to Indy, Felt like I was sitting in a hole and knees were definitely up into the tank.

Part No. 99994-0500

Available at Partzilla, Revzilla, Amazon, Evilbay, Kawasaki. The price has gone up tremendously, I bought mine from Partzilla in January this year for $430.00 shipped. That's an increase of $120.00 in the same year, what justifies that?

Tundra said:
Part No. 99994-0500
I bought mine from Partzilla in January this year for $430.00 shipped...

Just paid $447 from them -- but I have to say, they were as quick as Amazon Prime -- ordered on a Wed afternoon and it was on my doorstep when I got home on Friday...

I'm going to drop some real money for a new seat.
Can anyone post a above and side shot of the Kawasaki Touring seat please.
You guys seem happy with it which is a good start

Nickrides said:
I went on the Kawasaki webpage and found pictures of that touring seat, looks good!
I have over 5k on my touring seat, sold the Laam seat, was going to have a RDL built but I think I wont now, can ride all day with no aches or pains from the touring seat!

FTB530 said:
Nickrides said:
I went on the Kawasaki webpage and found pictures of that touring seat, looks good!
I have over 5k on my touring seat, sold the Laam seat, was going to have a RDL built but I think I wont now, can ride all day with no aches or pains from the touring seat!

Great to hear. I too may go this route, but not until sometime in the New Year ...

Nickrides,

Call Bitchn Stichn (http://www.bsseats.com/) in Denver, 303.238.5404

Ride over and modify your seat while you wait. Welcome to stay at my place and ride the area with me when you get the bike done. Definitely cheaper and better fitting than the Touring seat. Do a search for my review on what they did on my seat.

Well worth the trip even if you if have to put up with me.    :D

Leo