• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Towing

alex9078

I bought a motorcycle lift for towing my Connie cross-country. The front wheel is off the ground while the rear wheel rolls on the road. Any comments? I posted a photo on FB

Well ya! You do realize that the rear wheel turning will turn the drive shaft.
I believe there is a bearing inside the drive unit on the side of the engine
that will not be getting lubrication. I am sure you will get more comments.

If the front wheel is raised more weight will be placed on the back wheel - aside from lubrication issues the rear tire will wear will be accelerated. Back with the stock Dunlop tires I remember getting about 4,000 miles tire life, so a cross country trip could place substantial wear on the rear tire. A trailer would be more practical.

As was mentioned, the issue without engine running is insufficient lubrication to the transmission bits.

Am thinking out loud hear in public!
Yeah could embarrassing.

Besides above notes:

The motorcycle lift capacity, the hitch weight capacity, the rear tire and axle bearings capacity in this combination might well be exceeded defacto.

If all above limits combined are workable. Is there not a way to remove a drive gear in rear wheel to isolate propeller shaft from the rotation?

May be dumb question as I have never disassembled unit with that intent.

Also besides tire wear are axle bearings up to a single axle load?

Lots of questions to answer regarding safety. C10 is a heavy bike!

Is there not a way to remove a drive gear in rear wheel to isolate propeller shaft from the rotation?
You can remove the drive gear out of the rear wheel as it is a wear part and meant to be replaced as needed.

It would seem to be an inconvenient process as one would need to R&R the rear wheel 4 times if you towed the bike somewhere to ride it, then towed it back home - not withstanding any other concerns already mentioned.

You can remove the drive gear out of the rear wheel as it is a wear part and meant to be replaced as needed.

It would seem to be an inconvenient process as one would need to R&R the rear wheel 4 times if you towed the bike somewhere to ride it, then towed it back home - not withstanding any other concerns already mentioned.
Would not do it to ride.
But might do it if transferred cross country or some such once.
That then carrying the rest of belongings in the tow vehicle.
Been a long time since I was that young or that light of heart and
carefree of mind.

I think I'll put it on the back of my Avalanche and drive cross country. I'll use it in and around Tucson to and from shop and helping COG owners if they need a tow.