• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

TPMS battery replacement

tharper79411953

Anyone out there have any experience with TPMS battery replacement on their C14? My bike is coming up on 4 years old now and starting to get a fairly long delayed reaction for the TPMS data on the display. I'm not sure if anyone has experience replacing the batteries themselves or if that is even possible. Also, has anyone had a dealership do it and how bad was the damage to your wallet?

I've replaced the batteries on 6 TPMS that came from the 1st gen C14's, very easy to do. I've never done one on the newer units though and heard the batteries are potted in epoxy. Fred Harmon has experience with them and can put new batteries in them for you at a fraction of the cost, and trouble, of what you pay for new ones at a dealership.

Theres several threads on the forum for how to change the batts. Even one that uses c clamps with the tires still on the bike..ive done it and it works ... buy the batt with the tabs already soldered onto the battery... or get ahold of fred..

I would contact Fred Harmon and see what he says. He replaced my old style TPS batteries with a quick turn around. PM me and I will give you his phone #. Fred is the one who sellls the C14 maint. videos and I belive this is under Angleride or something like that. I also believe he has done the new style with the potted batteries but not 100% sure on that.

Thank you everyone for your input. I looked up the Fred Harmon maintenance video's after seeing these thread's and was thinking about investing in them. I wasn't even aware there was a guy out there producing maintenance how-to video's for the Concours 14. What's the general consensus on them? Are they worth the investment? Looks like he covers a lot of different area's on the bike.

Comments I've read have generally been pretty good. If I was able to do more to my 09 I would probably have to get a set of Fred's video's. Oil/filter and changing the air filter is as about it for me these days.

I asked my wife to get me a set of Fred's videos for Christmas, 2017 I think. Bottom line: buy them. Maybe more info than most owners will need, but I'm so glad it's there. The vids and the service manual have been more valuable to me than I could ever describe. BTW, it's angelridevideos.com. Angel, not Angle.

I plan on sending my '12 front TPMS to Fred for a battery replacement soon. I need new tires, and figure while I have it at the shop for the install I'll ask them if they'll remove my TPMS, send it to Fred and reinstall it with the tires when Fred sends it back. It's so low that today while riding in 75 degree weather, the low battery warning came on whenever I slowed down for a bit. I think I've milked about all the juice I can out of it.

Also, regarding Fred's videos - yes, if you plan on doing much of anything beyond oil changes I highly recommend you order a set. I find the shop manual almost worthless for many repairs, and the photos are really lame. I got Fred's vids used from someone here and they have paid for themselves many times over. Fred's approach assumes you have little to no motorcycle mechanical experience, so he's very thorough and detailed in stepping you through things. And if you're a visual guy like me you'll really appreciate the good quality video which shows everything he's doing as he's describing the work.

I plan on sending my '12 front TPMS to Fred for a battery replacement soon. I need new tires, and figure while I have it at the shop for the install I'll ask them if they'll remove my TPMS, send it to Fred and reinstall it with the tires when Fred sends it back. It's so low that today while riding in 75 degree weather, the low battery warning came on whenever I slowed down for a bit. I think I've milked about all the juice I can out of it.

Also, regarding Fred's videos - yes, if you plan on doing much of anything beyond oil changes I highly recommend you order a set. I find the shop manual almost worthless for many repairs, and the photos are really lame. I got Fred's vids used from someone here and they have paid for themselves many times over. Fred's approach assumes you have little to no motorcycle mechanical experience, so he's very thorough and detailed in stepping you through things. And if you're a visual guy like me you'll really appreciate the good quality video which shows everything he's doing as he's describing the work.
Thanks a bunch for the suggestions. I just ordered a set of the dvd's. Can't wait to get them. I love to do my own stuff and always enjoy any kind of video's or previous experiences to study before tackling a big maintenance job. An upcoming valve adjustment this winter will be a good test for my Fred videos.