• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

TPMS, I know another TPMS thread.

2113steve5139

I've done some searching but haven't found a definitive answer to this question. I have a new to me 2012 that is ready for new tires and batteries in the TPMS units. I don't care if I have the tire pressures on the dash or not. I have never had a bike with them before. Is there any way to disable the display so the warnings don't show up on the dash? I'm old school and don't mind checking my tire pressures with a tire gauge. Thanks.

IIRC It can be done but doesn't remember the setting after you shut the bike down. Fred Harmon can replace the batteries. TPMS saved my butt once. Replace the batteries. HTH

When the batteries are completely dead it will no longer show warning only dash's when flipped to pressure. You can also put standard valve stems in if you don't want the sensors.

I thought like you at one time, but once you're having a flat while riding a heads up warning is nice.

IIRC It can be done but doesn't remember the setting after you shut the bike down. Fred Harmon can replace the batteries. TPMS saved my butt once. Replace the batteries. HTH
The Tire pressure sensors saved me a couple of times. 1st time I picked up a rather large screw in the rear tire. I was able to get air and make it home. 2nd time I was in in the middle of no place in Montana. Ture pressure went to 36 psi and alerted me just as I came across a bill board that said there was a Harley dealer 2 miles down the road. They gave me air and directions to a metric dealer. I had picked up a thin copper wire. Too small to plug. I got a new tire and continued my trip home.

Fred Harmon replaced my batteries. In my mind the only thing worth monitoring while riding is tire pressure. And yes I check my tire pressure with a gauge before riding if the bike has been sitting for awhile.

But to each his own.

Prior to this bike I had never had tire pressure sensors. On a ride I noticed tire pressure very slowly decreasing for 30-60 min..... not to much, but more than I had seen prior. Before riding out of the last town I pulled over and closely checked the tires. I found I had run over a CO2 cartridge that was fully in the tire save for a pencil eraser sized portion of it. I couldn't feel or hear it and would have ridden into incredible and remote curves to find out how long the tire could hold out. Instead I turned around and made it to a town that had a spare tire and easily had us on the road again.

I can't say enough for TPMS. Saved my ride and who knows what else.

If you remove the monitors from the tires when you change your tires and replace them with regular valve stems the tire pressure display will have dashes on it. It won't blink at you anymore either.

If you do decide to replace with a regular valve stem, be sure to mark which is front and back. Just in case at some point you decide to have the batteries replaced.

TPMS saved me at least 5 times on my 2012 and then my 2015 C14. I have an aftermarket set on my H2 SX SE now and wouldn't think of riding without it. If it were my C14 I would replace the batteries and stick with the stock TPMS. It's built into the bike and idiot proof.

Like the OP, I never had TPMS on a bike until I got my 2012 a few years ago. Yes, the display issue with a dying battery is annoying, but in my 20+ k miles of riding my Connie, it's alerted me to a puncture while riding twice. At least the battery dies slowly - mine took nearly two years of gradually requiring warmer temperatures to work before it got annoying enough to replace. This allowed me to time it with a tire change so I could send it off to Fred Harmon for a battery replacement while waiting for the tires I ordered to arrive. As many here know, Fred turns them around quickly and for a reasonable price.

Every ride I check my pressure probably at least every 30 minutes. For me it's a safety must since without it I might not detect a drop in pressure that could adversely affect the bike's handling until it's too late.

Last edited:
When I added the Versys, the first thing I missed was the TPMS. I solved that easily by buying the CUREUD TPMS system. The sensors screw onto the valve stem and the CR1225 batteries last 2 years and are easy to change since they are external. The display has a handle bar mount, is in color, has a flashing/audible pressure alarm, and also shows tire temperatures. It’s auto on/off by sensing vibration, and charges twice a year with a USB cable so no need to wire it. it warned me of a rear flat within 3500 miles, so glad I added it. I think this is the newest version, and it displays in PSI as one of the options. Amazon sells them too.

4bikes, thanks for this tip. My rear tpms was mangled at a shop a few years back so I ended up taking both out and never replaced them. This looks like the perfect alternative.

I'll second what most here have said, replace the batteries and keep the sensors...however if you are determined to go without them.....After they are removed (or batteries are dead or removed) not only will the display just show dashes, but if you remove the bikes main battery connection overnight (or perhaps {untested} just remove the fuse to the ECU) the display will no longer even show the tire pressure section at all. It's as if that part of the screen menu was never there. It'll stay that way until it detects a TPMS signal from a registered TPMS.

For $30 more and 3 or 4 days Harmon can fix your originals! He just did mine and their good as new! Good guy to deal with!

For a two wheel motor Bicycle? agree with Fisher....get in touch with Fred Harmon. Reasonable cost and quick turnaround.

here we go

Attachments

• IMG_20210419_165145_382.jpg
    IMG_20210419_165145_382.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20210419_165149_220.jpg
    IMG_20210419_165149_220.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20210419_165153_674.jpg
    IMG_20210419_165153_674.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 152
That's not what I found in your link. But that appears to work. (y)

However I bet your dash won't light up and flash red lights when your tire pressure gets to 36 psi. That is where mine lets me know something is up if I'm not paying attention.

I've done some searching but haven't found a definitive answer to this question. I have a new to me 2012 that is ready for new tires and batteries in the TPMS units. I don't care if I have the tire pressures on the dash or not. I have never had a bike with them before. Is there any way to disable the display so the warnings don't show up on the dash? I'm old school and don't mind checking my tire pressures with a tire gauge. Thanks.

Howdy Steve. I've been told by people in-the-know that anyone handy with a soldering gun can replace the batteries in a jiffy without stressing.

That's not what I found in your link. But that appears to work. (y)

However I bet your dash won't light up and flash red lights when your tire pressure gets to 36 psi. That is where mine lets me know something is up if I'm not paying attention.
alarm goes off at 49 on the high and 26 on the low.
red light indicator will flash.

Attachments

• PXL_20210420_100327579.jpg
    PXL_20210420_100327579.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
you still got to get inside the tire
💰💰💰

but ya still got get em the tire. that could be $50-80 at a shop. el cheapo tpms i did $35/your done.

http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16850.msg206925#msg206925

..it also looks like a hassle to add or remove air, "Now where is that special wrench I need?" etc. etc.

It's nice to know there are options, but it doesn't appear that one system is better than the other for everybody.
If you ride a lot, then you'll be replacing tires several time a year anyway with full access to the internal TPMS, if you
don't ride that much then the external TPMS might be a better option.

you really don't need the special wrench or the jam nut. I agree that could be a hassle because I like to check my air before I go on a ride. they say the manual that you don't need the jam nut. really up to the operator. I might screw it on without the jam nut and see how it feels

I see the pros and cons of each rider. but if can find something that is cheap, it works and save me some cash I'm doing it.

Whats your time worth and are you handy? If u havent checked out what marty posted, take a look see...

I used the clamp method for accessing my tpms sensors. Started with rear tire and took about 45 minutes to get the bead broke and unit out. Knowing the process, the front was easier at 30 minutes. Getting to the batteries was pretty easy and the replacements cost me $10.. soldering in the new ones wasnt difficult at all...

So,.what im saying is if u can remove your tires and take them to a dealer, your handy enough to do this procedure...

Soooo, to jump in on this subject, I was retaught the value of the TPMS system today while riding up around the Sam Houston National Forest. Somewhere along the way I had picked up a small nail in my rear tire but didn't know it right away. At first I started noticing that rolling into some sweepers the rear end seemed a bit squishy, but I chalked it up to the road surface. After about a half hour of that I became less convinced that my original theory was correct.

Having my dash monitoring MPG as a way of keeping my mind on driving smoothly, it dawned on me that I should click over to TPMS. Right away I noticed that rear tire pressure was down to 37, which got my heart racing a little bit. I didn't know how long I'd been bleeding air or what the rate of decline was, so at our next stop I pulled out the trusty GPS to get an address for the nearest tire shop to get a squirt of air. While stopped we found the nail, dead center on the wear line.

So the rest of the afternoon I was eagle-eying the TPMS. Thankfully after putting in 5 lbs I was running at 42 and it did not decrease until we pitted for gas. Just stopping for a few minutes let the tire cool down enough that the temp dropped 1 pound, and as soon as we got back on the road it went right back up to 42 lbs and stayed there until I pulled into my garage at home. Whew!

Now I'm going to need to find a reasonably priced bike mechanic in my neck of the woods who can take off the rear wheel and plug the tire that only has 1,750 miles on it. Parenthetically, some folks I met said that there are places where somebody purposefully puts nails out on the road because SOME bikers are obnoxious about downshifting, engine breaking and/or revving their open exhaust motors right in front of properties close enough to the road that the noise is irritating. Sounded to me like there are dark hearts living in our midst.

The TPMS monitor was fundamental in making sure I was able to relax (somewhat) on the way back instead of being preoccupied by the known unknown of continued tire reliability/safety. AB

Soooo, to jump in on this subject, I was retaught the value of the TPMS system today while riding up around the Sam Houston National Forest. Somewhere along the way I had picked up a small nail in my rear tire but didn't know it right away. At first I started noticing that rolling into some sweepers the rear end seemed a bit squishy, but I chalked it up to the road surface. After about a half hour of that I became less convinced that my original theory was correct.

Having my dash monitoring MPG as a way of keeping my mind on driving smoothly, it dawned on me that I should click over to TPMS. Right away I noticed that rear tire pressure was down to 37, which got my heart racing a little bit. I didn't know how long I'd been bleeding air or what the rate of decline was, so at our next stop I pulled out the trusty GPS to get an address for the nearest tire shop to get a squirt of air. While stopped we found the nail, dead center on the wear line.

So the rest of the afternoon I was eagle-eying the TPMS. Thankfully after putting in 5 lbs I was running at 42 and it did not decrease until we pitted for gas. Just stopping for a few minutes let the tire cool down enough that the temp dropped 1 pound, and as soon as we got back on the road it went right back up to 42 lbs and stayed there until I pulled into my garage at home. Whew!

Now I'm going to need to find a reasonably priced bike mechanic in my neck of the woods who can take off the rear wheel and plug the tire that only has 1,750 miles on it. Parenthetically, some folks I met said that there are places where somebody purposefully puts nails out on the road because SOME bikers are obnoxious about downshifting, engine breaking and/or revving their open exhaust motors right in front of properties close enough to the road that the noise is irritating. Sounded to me like there are dark hearts living in our midst.

The TPMS monitor was fundamental in making sure I was able to relax (somewhat) on the way back instead of being preoccupied by the known unknown of continued tire reliability/safety. AB
Wait you're close to Ted, I volunteer him to be your trusted mechanic. Lol.
I know of many that have plugged the tire and road it until tire needed replaced.
Pulling the rear wheel off yourself will save you some money. Whatever you decide, I hope you are up and running soon.

Texas
Tread drift light on
This would be a perfect time for you to learn how to plug your own tire on your bike.
YouTube it- its easy
Don't have to take the wheel off.
Just make sure you rasp a big enough hole.
Nick
2014 C-14
Thread drift light off

Texas
Tread drift light on
This would be a perfect time for you to learn how to plug your own tire on your bike.
YouTube it- its easy
Nick
2014 C-14
Thread drift light off

Right on Nick, thanks for the tip. I went to three shops today and NOBODY would touch the topic of putting a plug or patch on the tire. Liability.

In fact one older dude, a former Suzuki GS1000 drag racer who these days has a nice speed shop, told me that under no circumstances would anyone around Houston put a plug in a tire that's mounted to a bike capable of speeds upwards of 180mph. I mentioned, a bit tongue in cheek, that I don't have Steve's Shoodaben flash yet. My comment was met with a bit of a blank stare, to which I said "Meh, no sweat mano I've got this."

He gave me a knuckle bump and a knowing smirk as he turned and walked away.

Texas
Tread drift light on
YouTube it- its easy
Nick
2014 C-14
Thread drift light off
Yep, plugging it w/ tire mounted is easy, peasy, quick.

A plug kit + mini compressor and practice will save you from a alot of pain.
Last fall on a Utah tour my partner got a flat on his BMW GS1200, at dusk. I pulled out my kit and jumped on it and we were rolling into Green River Ut for a nice room and dinner in 15 minutes. Guess who bought dinner and drinks that night?
Nick
2014 C-14