• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

TPMS Low Battery Message

Sport rider

Iron Butt
Ok, so it was the first really chilly morning of the season that I rode the bike to work.  it was about 35.  My TPMS battery warning was going off.  After a few miles of riding, it started working and my tire pressures were fine.

is this "normal" on cold mornings, or should I be looking to change it very soon?

It's probably getting low.  Batteries make less voltage when cold so this is a preview of coming attractions.  But you might have many months left in it.  Hard to say.  I'd not worry about it until the low battery indicator comes on when the temperatures are warm...

I have a 2008.  Mine have been doing that for at least 4 years whenever it is below 50F or so.  One of these next tire changes I'll probably change the battery, but not in a big hurry.

Same here 2012, 12400 miles & it's done it since new. I wouldn't worry about it. Been riding 40 years without tpms...
Mark in CT

My 2008 was doing that, so last tire change, I changed batteries. A couple mornings riding to work in the 30's and now they don't do that any more.

My 09 showed a low rear TPMS battery on a cold morning a couple of years ago. Hasn't been back since and is working fine. I think what I'm going  to do is wait until the TPMS flat lines. Then I'll send them to Fred for new batteries.

It's been reported the newest generation of TPMS sensors have potted  batteries and so far I don't believe anyone has figured out to get around this yet. This means to me even though there might be some warranty left on the old sensors it would make more since to replace the batteries on the  old ones rather than getting the new sensors at this time.  I'm not totally sure when this last sensor changed occurred at what year. I'm sure some one will chime in with this info.    Tim 

My 2010 did it this year at the Grand Canyon early morning after a cold night.  Parked it in the Sun and it resolved itself.  Good tip on the batteries  :great:.

TimR said:
My 09 showed a low rear TPMS battery on a cold morning a couple of years ago. Hasn't been back since and is working fine. I think what I'm going  to do is wait until the TPMS flat lines. Then I'll send them to Fred for new batteries.

It's been reported the newest generation of TPMS sensors have potted  batteries and so far I don't believe anyone has figured out to get around this yet. This means to me even though there might be some warranty left on the old sensors it would make more since to replace the batteries on the  old ones rather than getting the new sensors at this time.  I'm not totally sure when this last sensor changed occurred at what year. I'm sure some one will chime in with this info.    Tim

Can't say for sure they flatline... if you have GTPP just have them cover it... done deal...

I'd at least ask the dealer about a replacement.  Mine did that on my '12 only a few months into ownership.  Seems to me like I recall hearing that Kaw offered an extended warranty on the tpms so you could conceivably get a new one under warranty.  Then again, I could be completely wrong. :))

I get this same message every time the temp dips below 42ish...it goes away after the tire warms-up a bit for me...it is INCREDIBLY annoying though!!!!  I dont know why they felt the need to make the dash go Ape$hit over a low sensor battery when a gentle reminder is all that is needed.

Slingblade said:
I get this same message every time the temp dips below 42ish...it goes away after the tire warms-up a bit for me...it is INCREDIBLY annoying though!!!!  I dont know why they felt the need to make the dash go Ape$hit over a low sensor battery when a gentle reminder is all that is needed.

Well, that's true of the low fuel warning too.  a simple red dash light indicator would have been more than enough.  :truce:

Thanks everyone for the input....I think I'll just monitor the situation.  :great:

Sport Rider said:
Slingblade said:

Well, that's true of the low fuel warning too.  a simple red dash light indicator would have been more than enough.  :truce:

Thanks everyone for the input....I think I'll just monitor the situation.  :great:

Just in case y'all didn't know, a simple push and hold of the top button along with a push and release of the bottom button will light up a red warning light, and return the display function to normal when your TPMS battery is low. Also, BDF offers a simple plug in device which restores the range function and eliminates that annoying "LOW FUEL" flashing message. I highly recommend it.

Thanks CW.  that is most helpful since I did not get an owners manual with my bike when I bought it!  :great:

...and this morning at 44, I did not get the message.  it may have been a combination of cold plus sitting for a few days too.

Damn

Mine  (09) did that for 1st time this Sunday it was 40...then stopped as tire warmed up...rear tire

what does it cost to replace battery???

Is it covered  under the warranty???

I just put a rear tire when up in Spokane this summer should have done it then but was on a trip ...so mind farted it

1gopokes1 said:
Damn

Mine  (09) did that for 1st time this Sunday it was 40...then stopped as tire warmed up...rear tire

what does it cost to replace battery???

Is it covered  under the warranty???

I just put a rear tire when up in Spokane this summer should have done it then but was on a trip ...so mind farted it

Cost to replace:  A lot.
Under warranty?  If your warranty is active it should be.  The dealership told me that Kaw was offering an extended warranty on the sender but I don't recall for how long.
They know they have a problem with them and seem to be trying to make it right.
With your year of bike you may be able to replace the battery.  I remember seeing a thread on that, not very complex and there were a couple of people offering to do it for nominal cost.
With mine one of them started doing the message on a cold tire very early on.  It continued to work for quite a few months then the other wheel started it.  Not long after that the first wheel  sensor just quit working entirely.
I would at least ask a dealer what the current policy is.  If they balk call Kawasaki customer care and you'll get what should be a straight answer.  You would get the new style sensor which some thought would be hard to change batteries in so that could be a concern.  At least you would know what your choices were.

1gopokes1,
              I have an 09 and sent both of my sensors to Fred Harmon to have the batteries replaced. I believe it was around $30 - $40 he charged to do both. I believe if you have them replaced under warranty, they will put in the new style and the batteries cannot be replaced on those. Very expensive to replace the new sensors later on.

Sport Rider said:
Slingblade said:

There is a fix for the Fuel Warning and it is well worth it - search COG and you will find it!

Charby said:
1gopokes1,
              I have an 09 and sent both of my sensors to Fred Harmon to have the batteries replaced. I believe it was around $30 - $40 he charged to do both. I believe if you have them replaced under warranty, they will put in the new style and the batteries cannot be replaced on those. Very expensive to replace the new sensors later on.
Soooooo, Fred is making a profit, for advertising services on the COG forum, as the Tech Editor, to replace 2 batteries that total $6... very interesting... I suppose you bought his vids, also, to fix your bike like we past tech editors sat up nights talking someone thru the process... on our own dime, and time... ohhhhhh wtf?

Whatever happened to sharing the stuff....? For free...? :mad:

Fred contributed and showed the process for replacing the batteries. He also offers the service to replace them for those that cannot, or don't want to. I call that a win-win.

Agree with 4Bikes. Fred does not advertise on the forum. I read of others having it done by him and i contacted him to  have it done. Sent them when it was time to replace the tires and got them back in no time. Very happy with what it cost me and will do it again.

BruceS said:
Thos batteries are replaced under warranty, if it is still active.

To clarify this statement.

The batteries are not replaced by the dealer under warranty. The entire TPMS is replaced. The new units have the batteries potted, so future replacement of batteries are not possible. Future sensor replacements would be out of warranty and very expensive since the entire sensor is replaced.  The right angle valve stem adapters also do not fit.

I believe the TPMS sensors are only covered by warranty for a max of five years, but there seems to be variations depending on dealership. 

There are many good reasons to go the battery replacement route, and many posts covering the difference between the old and new sensors. I plan on going the battery change route, because of the reasons mentioned, and the fact that my two existing sensors are fairly accurate and getting the new version might change that for the worse.

Edit to add thread about old TPMS vs new
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=47459.0

Funny, I just had my TPMS changed out last week. I picked up a 2013 C14 and as soon as the temp dipped down to about -2 deg C (yes, I live in Canada and still riding!!... :eek:) I was getting the same message. I took it to the dealer (still under warranty) and was told that Kawa had changed the design of the TPMS but also changed the way it was installed. Long story short, the TPMS and new installation hardware had to be ordered. I saw the old TPMS and it really is poorly constructed, made of plastic and just really bad quality. Not sure if they made any changes to the circuitry or the sensor itself. But I do know that the outer casing is better constructed and more robust and the way the circuitry is supposed to be mounted is better.

Battery life is supposed to be roughly 1 year or so and although you are not supposed to change out the battery without changing out the whole TPMS, I know it is possible (albeit difficult).

My suggestion is before your warranty is up, change out both sensors even if they do not need changing !

-h2

Oh and I know for the low fuel indicator taking up your entire display, there is a "farkle" to kill it such that you can still see how much range you have. Maybe someone smart guy will do the same thing for the TPMS. That info is nice to have, but I don't think it is worth the cost to replace the TPMS every year or be forced to remove the rear tire and break open the TPMS to replace a battery for a display that is really not essential to have. Just my opinion.

-h2

H2 said:
Funny, I just had my TPMS changed out last week. I picked up a 2013 C14 and as soon as the temp dipped down to about -2 deg C (yes, I live in Canada and still riding!!... :eek:) I was getting the same message. I took it to the dealer (still under warranty) and was told that Kawa had changed the design of the TPMS but also changed the way it was installed. Long story short, the TPMS and new installation hardware had to be ordered. I saw the old TPMS and it really is poorly constructed, made of plastic and just really bad quality. Not sure if they made any changes to the circuitry or the sensor itself. But I do know that the outer casing is better constructed and more robust and the way the circuitry is supposed to be mounted is better.

Battery life is supposed to be roughly 1 year or so and although you are not supposed to change out the battery without changing out the whole TPMS, I know it is possible (albeit difficult).

My suggestion is before your warranty is up, change out both sensors even if they do not need changing !

-h2d

Funny, your 2013 should have had the new style potted sensors installed from the factory, and you cannot change the battery in those at all. The earlier models you could, and mine lasted 6 years, and were still intermittantly functioning when changed undr extended warrenty.
Battery life is proposedly 5 years normal life.
So I have to say both your answers are a bit wrong. Sorry.

No need to be sorry, after all, this forum is a tool to exchange ideas and help others, right?  :great: But thanks, I appreciate the gesture. :great:  I am not disputing what you are saying. This is what I was told from the dealer when I went to change out both TPMS. I assumed he knew what he was talking about since it was covered under warranty and he had nothing to gain by bullsh*tting me. Then again, maybe he didn't know any better.....which is rather disturbing !! ::) ::) ::)

-h2

H2 said:
No need to be sorry, after all, this forum is a tool to exchange ideas and help others, right?  :great: But thanks, I appreciate the gesture. :great:  I am not disputing what you are saying. This is what I was told from the dealer when I went to change out both TPMS. I assumed he knew what he was talking about since it was covered under warranty and he had nothing to gain by bullsh*tting me. Then again, maybe he didn't know any better.....which is rather disturbing !! ::) ::) ::)

-h2

No problem, I'm here as a passive assistant only, they don't pay me anymore for my services.... well, they didn't pay me when I was T/E either, but that's all good..
You said the originals looked poorly constructed on comparo, so I have to assume you saw both the old and new ones? If not, there is a clear difference... luckily when mine got swapped out, they installed the older version ones, so I can still cannabilize them to refit new bats. Your new sensors should last at least 5 years, if you can see an external nut on the valve stem of the ones they installed.. only here to assist...
Most dealer techs don't know squat, or less than squat... they don't get paid enou to care, the dealer makes the money, they get %25 or less of that flatrate service fee, and even less on warrantee work, going by the book, which ain't conducive to really caring... some techs do gain knowledge, most end up changing jobs.... or on unemployment...

You should be fine fr 5 years, still have to mention getting the new KPP PLAN, (formerly noted as GTPP) again... worth the bucks..

Thanks for the knowledge and the input, much appreciated ! Hey, 5 years? If those darn sensors and the battery hold up for that long, I will take it ! And you are right about the new plan...peace of mind, damn straight !!  :great:

-h2

i have the 2008 model concours ,  had the front sensor changed under warranty, then the rear sensor went out a bit later ....didnt bother to change it out , and after some more time it died
completely and my display came back to normal operation except it shows a dash where the tpms reading should be ....not sure i want to fix it , just check the tire with a guage before riding ....

Dave, I understand not wanting to fix the rear tire pressure sensor. How long ago was the sensor replaced? Me personally will get working sensors when the time comes. Since my OEM 09 sensors are still with me I will just have Fred change the batteries. The rear Tire Pressure sensor has alerted me 3 times now of a low tire that was going to go flat if I didn't attend to it asap. Taking on some more air allowed me to take care of the leak in a much better atmosphere than stuck on the side of the road.