• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

TPMS Not on Read Out

dbarb3

After many years of ownership first warranty experience at dealer. Have bike towed under warranty for ignition switch replacement and while they have it replace TPMS. Well after waiting 7 weeks for the ignition switch I go to dealer to pick up bike. Head home and both TPMS readouts show ---- . So I expect that they were not matched in KDS. Too far home and too late to turn around. Make an appointment to come in and wait while they do a quick fix on the computer. Well 3 hours later no fix. They say monitors show up on KDS but for some unknown reason they are not showing up on read out.

They want me to bring it back and leave it so they can get technical support on line at Kawa. Any one else had this happen?

I expect that they were not matched in KDS. Probably correct. They didn't enter the number correctly. New sensors must have zeros added at the start of the ID number to make up 8 digits. Or the new sensors could have dead batteries. It's an operator error, not the bike's.

What was wrong with the ignition switch that it needed replacement?

I believe it does that if forced - some sort of safety/security thing.

Regarding TPMS, ask if they entered/see an 8 digit ID code.

My bike is currently at the dealer with a similar issue. From sensor reads --- intermittently. They couldn't duplicate it as it only happens here and there. They have a call into Kawi tech support as well. Rear display has always been fine...

A sign of weak batteries.

It really isn't a sign of weak batteries as much as dead batteries. Weak batteries will continually give the low battery warning on the dash, for a very, very long time. I am in the process of letting my rear sensor die, and a year later, it is still giving me the warning, and hijacking the dash. It took two a good year or so for my front to finally give up the ghost and give the -- on the display.

The most likely scenario is what others have stated, the sensors weren't programmed properly. At the very least, the dealer didn't check their work and ensure they actually worked properly before leaving the shop. If they worked at all after they programmed them, they would not immediately go to dashes if the batteries were weak, it would display the warning first, or at least would have done so for them.

It really isn't a sign of weak batteries as much as dead batteries. Weak batteries will continually give the low battery warning on the dash, for a very, very long time. I am in the process of letting my rear sensor die, and a year later, it is still giving me the warning, and hijacking the dash. It took two a good year or so for my front to finally give up the ghost and give the -- on the display.

Actually having gone through a couple sets of deadbattries, it seems they all do it a little different. I had the OEM front come one a little slow for a few says then wothout warning die with --- on the dash. I've also had a OEM rear hang on, long after the front died giving a dash light low battery warning then ok and read after the tire warmed up.

I've had them working good like the OP then after awhile on a ride they would go away with no real warning. Frustrating.

I like the system. Nothing like a big red warning light in the middle of BFE telling you your rear tire pressure is low.

If the sensors read like the OP describes, to me it is not an installation issue. It is a sensor issue. And the weak link in the sensor is ????

I have 11 YO old style sensors. When they start acting up a trip to Fred Harmon for battery replacement fixes them right up.

So Kawasaki got back to them said it takes up to 12 miles for the TPMS to read. I was ok... I specifically said it worked but was intermittent. Several miles on, several off... Also, they said a low battery could maybe cause it. That's it... I was told I can pick up the bike! Ugh... The dealer test rode it for 5 miles and couldn't duplicate it either. Next time and for several times after I'm gunna take a date/time stamp photo of the cluster to show them. Kinda frustrating but I understand, if they can't duplicate it they just don't want to toss a part in it. I'm a former auto dealer tech/forman and have been thru this before.

Simple....the dealer doesn't want to buy you new sensors. The batteries are dying a slow painful death. The tire pressure readings should come up in a couple of blocks after you get underway. At least mine do.

I had a rear sensor that started taking so long to come on at one point I figured the battery was flat dead. Made a gas stop with some other Connies. I even told smeone it finally died. Got back undrway. About 10 miles later I look down and wouldn't you know it the darn thing was reading.

TPS is the only thing I monitor. All the rest while nice isn't all that important to me.

Simple....the dealer doesn't want to buy you new sensors. The batteries are dying a slow painful death. The tire pressure readings should come up in a couple of blocks after you get underway. At least mine do.

I had a rear sensor that started taking so long to come on at one point I figured the battery was flat dead. Made a gas stop with some other Connies. I even told smeone it finally died. Got back undrway. About 10 miles later I look down and wouldn't you know it the darn thing was reading.

TPS is the only thing I monitor. All the rest while nice isn't all that important to me.

I agree sir. Like I said I'm gunna start taking date/time stamp photos working and inop to prove it to them. I rather now wait til it sets fault for low voltage but it appears I might have to.

I agree sir. Like I said I'm gunna start taking date/time stamp photos working and inop to prove it to them. I rather now wait til it sets fault for low voltage but it appears I might have to.

That is what I did to get mine replaced under warranty. Mine would show the low battery warning until it warmed up. I took a picture of the screen and showed to to the service manager, who okayed the replacement. I did that at least four times. I finally got tired of the poorly designed system and let the front die. I am waiting on the rear to die.

I wanted to have them replace it under warranty but they didn't. Probably because they couldn't duplicate the issue. Kawasaki was nice enough to remind me I have the KPP til 2023 and it would be covered if and when it went bad til then. I was like yea, I know I have it, I bought it for these known issues lol

Ignition switch, when you turned the key it would continue to spin all the way around.
My understanding of this system is the 'stove knob key' has a shear pin inside and it's designed to shear off if the key is forced to turn if the ignition is not unlocked first. If they repaired it under warranty it doesn't matter in the end but if it was on your dime that's another story...

What did they tell you about this?

Didnt question the ignition replacement but I didnt force anything. I pressed key down like a thousand times before and when I turned it there was no resistance at all or no click either. Thank God it was under warranty, tow truck came and got it no charge.