• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

TPMS Sensors

tharper79411953

I was just wondering if it's possible to replace TPMS sensor batteries at home on a 2017 C14? Mine are starting to get slow to respond and I have a DIY tire change coming this winter and it would be a good time to address them. I wondered if you have to buy new sensors in order to replace batteries?

I was just wondering if it's possible to replace TPMS sensor batteries at home on a 2017 C14? Mine are starting to get slow to respond and I have a DIY tire change coming this winter and it would be a good time to address them. I wondered if you have to buy new sensors in order to replace batteries?
There is info here . May have to dig a little. Possible and worth a try but be prepared to get news ones if you fail.

There is info here . May have to dig a little. Possible and worth a try but be prepared to get news ones if you fail.
Ok. Thank you. I'll do some research. I knew you could do the "Harmon" method on the older ones, but didn't know if it was even possible on the newer models, like the 2017.

If anybody has one or two of the new style that are dead, I'd like to have them for dissection. I'll pay shipping.

Thanks for the input and great idea. That's certainly much more affordable than replacing the sensors. I love the bike and wouldn't want to trade it for anything else, but the TPMS battery issue is definitely a dumb idea on Kawasaki's part. A lot of people keep these bikes for a long time due to the reliability, but it sucks to have to replace these sensors every 4-5 years.

Hmmm, as opposed to not having them at all?

With the exception of a blow out, id rather have them and have them telling me im losing pressure before ive lost too much air and find.myself in a REALLY bad situation

I wish i had them on my 98 c10 when a bolt that had been lodged in my rear tire decided to depart the tire . If i had had tpms im certain i would have noticed a 5psi decrease which would have alerted me to a problem with my tire, and wouldnt have had an 'oh snap' experience!! Lol

tharper79411953,

If you want to invest in the original sensors you can find them on ebay occasionally for $75-$150 each. Since I purchased my 2012 I have ridden 90K+ miles on it and it is nowhere near done. I always replaced my TPMS batteries (thanks to this website) every tire change (less that $2 per tire) instead of using the warranty for replacement.

Know that if you buy new sensors you will need to have them programmed to your ECU. The dealer will charge you their shop rate. If you live near someone on this site with a KDS system you may get a better rate. Once programmed to your bike just replace the batteries every tire change.

Yes, it is actually still covered under the extended warranty. The issue is that they haven't failed yet. I just did a tire change and figured since the bike was 5 years old it would be a good time to change the batteries. I assume that it can't be too much longer before they start giving me fits considering I now have about 19,000 miles on it. I do however have the newer style with the hex fitting that are hard to change. Don't get me wrong, I love having the tpms, I just wish Kawasaki would have made it more maintenance friendly for the DIY'er.

Yes, it is actually still covered under the extended warranty. The issue is that they haven't failed yet. I just did a tire change and figured since the bike was 5 years old it would be a good time to change the batteries. I assume that it can't be too much longer before they start giving me fits considering I now have about 19,000 miles on it. I do however have the newer style with the hex fitting that are hard to change. Don't get me wrong, I love having the tpms, I just wish Kawasaki would have made it more maintenance friendly for the DIY'er.
I have a 16 and they are doing the same
Slow functioning , mine will probably last three more yearsnuntil the extended warrenty is over 😂😂

I've done a couple. It's possible, but not very easy, and there is a very real risk you'll break the circuit board in the process of removing the battery. They also use a totally different battery that is hard to source.

Does not the battery internal resistance go to infinity?
If so, why not just solder in a new battery and leave the circuit board alone?

When a cell phone battery goes dead, you can plug in an external battery and keep using the phone.
I plan on trying that when my sensors bite the big one.

If you have the old-style TPMS sensors, keep them and swap out the batteries even if you are covered under warranty. If the Kawi dealer replaces them you will get the new style. Then when your warranty is up you will either be without TPMS or will be paying for them yourself.

The olds ones are super easy to change out the batteries and you can do it as many times as you need to over the life of the bike.

Does not the battery internal resistance go to infinity?
If so, why not just solder in a new battery and leave the circuit board alone?

When a cell phone battery goes dead, you can plug in an external battery and keep using the phone.
I plan on trying that when my sensors bite the big one.
No, the internal resistance goes to 0. So the problem with paralleling a new battery is that the new one will try to charge the old one and these are NON-rechargeable lithium batteries. At best this will discharge your new battery. At worst it will cause a "meltdown" of the entire module. Most likely is that things will be damaged and it will not work.