• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trail Braking Video

connie_rider

While playing around on YouTube I came across a good video on Trail Braking.
Thought others would like to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPE67XqGsV4

NOTE: I used to think Trail Braking was application of the rear brake in/thru a turn.
            Go ahead and own up to it. I know there are others.

Anyway, some time ago I learned of my error and tried to learn more.
              {At the Jennings Track Day, Doug taught us the proper way to Trail Brake}...
              There, I practiced it, and now I use it on the road {when I'm playing}.
                  Works well and I use it more and more.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Ride safe, Ted

Subscribed to this channel, I like how he explains techniques he makes it easy to put into practice when you throw your leg over your bike.

Some good points there especially "The tire can hold a lot of force, but not suddenly" And that is especially true for a heavy bike like the Concours. Even if you aren't pushing anywhere near the limits, grabbing a handful of hard braking will bring you down fast. Practice smooth before fast! And if your brakes are just grabby and you can't get smooth, throw them away and get new ones.

Although, I think in the beginning of the video, that crash was due to target fixation. I think if the rider had consciously made the effort to focus on the road instead of looking at the shoulder and the pole, there a good chance he could have stayed on the road. I did the same thing many years ago, now if I enter a corner too fast, I force my self to stay focused on where I want to go, even if the bike drifts a little, keep your eyes on the goal.

Nice video!
Although it is different from trail braking I've learnt driving SCCA, doing what is explained in the video has saved my bacon a few times.

Cheers...

Ted, this is 1 of the things I told Doug I learned at Jennings. I had been doing it, I just didn't know what it was or even it was the correct way.

Now I know!

Cliff  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
Ted, this is 1 of the things I told Doug I learned at Jennings. I had been doing it, I just didn't know what it was or even it was the correct way.

Now I know!

Cliff  :beerchug:

:iagree: :beerchug: :beerchug: Same thing  for me Cliff  @ Jennings.  I like backwards day there more than normal forward days. Fun Tack!!

I'm a bit late to the game here, but this is good stuff.  If you haven't seen it you should! :motonoises:

Came across another Trail Braking Video.
We've all rode with a group and tried to not to be the one that showed a brake light.  :truce:
{admission} I'm always the one that touched the brake and sed to myself.
      "Self"  %&^&%$%$, "why did you do that"?  :-[
            I've just assumed they were better/braver than I.. {many are}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM0UCLKY4R4

This video, shows "why" to Trail Brake, not "how to".
It also makes you realize why it is ok to be the one that shows a brake light.
  ie; Trail braking is safer on the road...

See ya on the road;  :motonoises:
    Ride safe, Ted 

He’s got some great content on that channel.  Best video explanation I’ve come across.  Sport Riding Techniques has been the best book for me.