• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trailer

jmilazzo

Looking to buy a trailer for general purposes to include hauling my C-14. I found one that’s 5x8 with a ramp but someone told me that it’s not big enough. The C-14 measures 7’4”. Is 8‘x5’ inside dimensions or outside dimensions?….anyone have any input here?
thx

You will need to review the trailer specs to see if they are inside or outside dimensions.
Be sure to account for the space needed to mount the wheel chock.

An 8' x 5' should be plenty big.
The only concern might be the ramp.
If it's one of those expanded metal ramps that stick up 4', your trunk bag {if you have one} might hit the ramp.

Ride safe, Ted

I loaded a C10 onto one of those with the wire mesh floor and I was alarmed by how springy it felt. I think I would put a piece of plywood down next time.

When looking at buying an enclosed trailer pay attention to the height. The sizing 5x8 generally refers to the length and width. I made the mistake of ordering and taking delivery of a 5x10 v nose. The problem was discovered when i measured the heighr of the c14 with windshield down and givi trunk/with cb antenna. I couldnt get her in without remiving the screen and taking off the trunkamd disconnecting the antenna. PIA. You definitely want a 6ft tall trailer....!!!

I just bought a new 2020 connie from a dealer in Portland OR area. I used my 4 by 8 utility trailer to haul it home ... Boise ID area. I had ample room. Used a wheel chock from Harbor Fr and a Canyon Dancer bar strap.

IMG_3690.JPG

Looking to buy a trailer for general purposes to include hauling my C-14. I found one that’s 5x8 with a ramp but someone told me that it’s not big enough. The C-14 measures 7’4”. Is 8‘x5’ inside dimensions or outside dimensions?….anyone have any input here?
thx
Plenty BIG enough if that is an inside dimension assuming we are talking about an enclosed trailer. I have trailered mine on a open trailer of that dimension with no issues other than the wheel chock needing to be up against the front rail.

The person (jmilazzo) that started this discussion has never been back. (not sure if he has seen any of the replies)
He was asking about a general purpose/utility trailer with a ramp, not an enclosed special trailer.
I agree with dragunslayer. Waders post (#7) {and picture} perfectly answers the question about minimal size needed.
Well done Wader.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I just bought a new 2020 connie from a dealer in Portland OR area. I used my 4 by 8 utility trailer to haul it home ... Boise ID area. I had ample room. Used a wheel chock from Harbor Fr and a Canyon Dancer bar strap.

View attachment 28386
Be very careful using the handlebars as an attachment point. It could get interesting if one broke. Nice bike BTW.

Be sure the ramp angle allows the bike to load without dragging(or getting stuck) on the exhaust.
Wader had a handlebar strap. Good idea for sure! My 6X12 enclosed will handle 2 Concours snuggly. ;)

Be very careful using the handlebars as an attachment point. It could get interesting if one broke. Nice bike BTW.
So when I am hauling my Concours in my Toy Hauler I actually use 7 straps ( I know its over kill ). I run two soft ties thru the frame above the riders pegs and have two pulling forward at rough 45 degrees, two that pull side to side, one that loops thru the rear wheel pulling the bike back towards the rear of the trailer. Then I have a bar harness that has two light pulling straps on the the front just as a fail safe. I would rather be safe than open the back door to find the bike laying on top of one of my other bikes.

I've hauled my C-14 and previously my C-10 all over the country, in my toy hauler using straps, because I like A/C, and found that there's a fine line between enough tension and too much. Compress the front forks a bit, but not too much. I found the bike leaning over on one occasion after a bumpy ride, because the open hooks on one side came off, so I started putting two each the front with two hooks on each side with one hook up, one down. I have considered using the screw closure D-rings but I've just not gotten around to changing them.Usually I have four (yeah overkill big time) on the front (2x2) and 1-2 on the back. The one or two on the back wheel just to keep it from bouncing sideways while the front ones actually hold the bike. I had to install additional floor rings in front so the straps don't hit the fairing. Watch for that.

I'll sometimes wrap a strap around the rear wheel and tire to keep it stable side to side and to pull backwards when I'm braking,but usually run one from the frame on each side, at an angle to the rear for stabilization because there the chance of harming the powder coating on the wheel, so be gentle. I looked at the Pit Bull system which is cool, but it didn't quite fit the floor layout of my trailer due to the way it's finished underneath. Ted was kind enough make me a spool system, but I haven't had time to install that yet. Maybe in the next few months. Just check the set up about 5 miles into your pull to be sure nothing shifted on corners or bumps and at each stop.

I had a ramp clearance problem, too, so I lift the trailer tongue with the power jack and use a wooden ramp to raise the door edge about 8', effectively flattening the approach angle. I put a strip of asphalt shingle starter up the middle for a traction strip after almost dumping my old C-10 on a wet morning. That was very exciting. LOL

Ours is a 6' x 12' by 6 ft tall. And in my best Blazing Saddles voice, "we don't use no stinkin straps".

Attachments

• 20201025_133824.jpg
    20201025_133824.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 129
If look closely at Jim's photo, you can see the turnbuckle system we use to secure the bikes.
Takes away the worry about straps slipping and the bikes getting loose. Also much easier on the suspension.

Ride safe, Ted

The person (jmilazzo) that started this discussion has never been back. (not sure if he has seen any of the replies)
He was asking about a general purpose/utility trailer with a ramp, not an enclosed special trailer.
I agree with dragunslayer. Waders post (#7) {and picture} perfectly answers the question about minimal size needed.
Well done Wader.

Ride safe, Ted
I'm back. had technical difficulties! My iPad crashed and finally got my new one. Thanks for all the info.

This is obvious but having a enclosed trailer is so nice, expensive but nice.
Your bike is covered, out of sight, safe unless someone steals your trailer.
Nick
2014 C-14

Whenever I hear "trailer", I think "bigger is better". Unless you're limited on space to store the trailer, get the biggest one you can comfortably handle with your tow vehicle, not just one big enough for the C14. Trailers are really handy... they end up getting used for so many things you didn't think of before you had it. That's been my experience anyway.

Crashcup is absolutely correct. Bought mine to help facilitate a move from just outside Chicago to savannah georgia..5 trips with the last being hauling my c14 down. Ive since gone back to work (bored at home being retired) in the remodeling/handyman biz. Added some modular shelving via e track i can remove in a few minutes for hauling a bike...

Possibly got a pic of the inside Nice17 ?

Haul multiple MC’s at once, should be plenty of room. Also doubling as a hard-side tent in remote locations +++!