• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trailering shafts and spools for turnbuckles.

Brackets and such

Just made these for Ted. Turned out nice and rock solid. If you have any interest or questions. talk to Ted, connie_rider.

Attachments

• 20220718_115406[4635].jpg
    20220718_115406[4635].jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 116
Cool. Iā€™m not familiar with your company. Maybe we can do an Industry Vendor profile on you for the next Concourier?

Thanks
(I like my spools that Ted made for me)šŸ˜‰

Ron

I appreciate that but I'm not a company. Just a regular old cogger that figured I better pay up for a vendor slot before someone complained about selling those brackets and making money off the cog population. It has happened if you remember back a few years. It's also a good sticky for people to find when frantically looking to replace their broken windshield bracket. But no company or business. I don't want to grow my non business. Just looking to help out with people's projects. So thanks but no thanks on the vendor profile. No advertising of any kind. Although Rodger asked me today about being listed in the concourier vendor list and I said ok as long as it's only in the concourier or behind the membership pay wall.

The shafts and spools that he made are soooooo much nicer than the ones I built.
(His professional machining makes my Hobby Shop Machining look like I used a hatchet to make mine).

Ron, you'll see that these are smaller than the ones I gave you and note that we also removed the nut that holds the spool on.
They're way more compact than the previous spools.

Ride safe, Ted

What are these for Ted ??
This is an alternate method of tying your concours to a trailer. Uses turnbuckles instead of straps. the spools stick out from the ends of each axle and the turnbuckles go from spool to an attachment point on the trailer. He's still refining the exact placement of the rear spools. But it will be nice and rock solid.

Last edited:
This is my bike with the Turnbuckle system.
It may not look like it, but the turnbuckles are FAR more secure than straps, and the bikes suspension is not compressed.

The spools in this image have been refined (made smaller/stronger), and the revised parts are what he built.
As he mentioned, since he built the ones on post #1, I'm thinking about changing them again. (Mad Tinkerer)
If I change the design, the Rear spools will attach at the Suspension Knuckle instead of the axle.

He does beautiful work, and if you want something machined, I highly recommend that you contact him to do it for you.

If anyone is interested in the Turnbuckle ideas, here is another discussion about Turnbuckles. (I don't want to overwhelm his space).

Ride safe, TED

1660331068441.png

This is my bike with the Turnbuckle system.
It may not look like it, but the turnbuckles are FAR more secure than straps, and the bikes suspension is not compressed.

The spools in this image have been refined (made smaller/stronger), and the revised parts are what he built.
As he mentioned, since he built the ones on post #1, I'm thinking about changing them again. (Mad Tinkerer)
If I change the design, the Rear spools will attach at the Suspension Knuckle instead of the axle.

He does beautiful work, and if you want something machined, I highly recommend that you contact him to do it for you.

If anyone is interested in the Turnbuckle ideas, here is another discussion about Turnbuckles. (I don't want to overwhelm his space).

Ride safe, TED

View attachment 33556
Hello Ted: A couple of questions regarding these Turnbuckles.

Are they attached to the current axels or are they new machined axles ?
Does the turnbuckle provide more surface area, thus strengthening the axle ?
Would this reduce some of the flex on the rear swingarm that was previously discussed ?

Sean

Both of the Connie Axles are hollow.
The turnbuckle shafts are designed to loosely pass thru the holes in each axle, and add no extra strength.
Additionally; I remove the turnbuckle spools/shafts before riding.

I recently discovered that my rear spools had hit my mufflers at some point.
(I think they hit when I rode the bike without remembering to remove the rear spools). OOPs.

I'm currently working with Laker to design smaller/stronger spools that pass thru the rear axle and cannot hit my mufflers.
Also working on some {like T-Rex sales} that pass thru the knuckle joints in the swingarm.
I could buy or copy theirs but it more interesting to make some myself, (Smaller/stronger)
NOTE: My Mufflers are Area P duals.
In this photo, you can see the front spools are installed in the axle, and the rear spools are removed.
1660408034658.png

Last edited: