• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Transmission whine

mjsrmiller9825

Hi; New member with a problem I've been eager to ask. Picked up a 2009 C14 last September and love it. It has 32,000 miles and I took it to a small shop this spring for a valve adjust. Engine fine after valve adjust but oddly upon leaving shop I noticed a distinct sort of pulsing whine in second gear. I am pretty tuned in to machines and had not noticed it before. I called the mechanic and took it back for him to ride and he said, "yes it sure does" pretty much as I expected. It did not whine prior to my leaving it at the shop. Rear fluid is fine. I changed out the expensive synthetic oil he had installed just to see and it is the same with 10-40. I am not wanting to ride much till I find out if it could be harmful. Any of you folks ever experience this. Thanks and I will figure out how to conjure up archives to avoid asking too many questions.

Surprised no input on trans. whine. If I made it sound like I am hating on the guy that did the valve adjust that is not the case. It may very well be coincidental. Just would like to know if this noise could result in a meltdown out on the road. My life experience with automotive shops over the course of my life has been that if I can't fix it and take it to someone, they don't fix it and charge me at which point I take it home and fix it myself. I will really try to find info in the archives in the future. Thanks

I would not be too upset no one has replied yet. After all most are out on the weekends.

The Whine...Kawasaki uses straight cut transmission gears. My 1975 900 wines. At highway speeds, it is music to my ears. My 09 wines. Not as loud as the 900 but still there. Nothing to worry about.

My 09 also has a whine in #2 gear. It has 62,230 miles on it. It's been pretty reliable for the most part. I had a final drive leak in 2013 which was repaired by extended warranty.

Probably the big thing if it is an ABS bike, is change the rear brake fluid regularly. I do mine every spring but hadn't got to it yet. :(

Last edited:
When you changed out the oil the shop had put in, did you notice any metal bits on the drain plug and/or on the bottom of the pan you drained the oil? Also, if by rear fluid you mean the final drive fluid, do you mean just the level or the condition as well? It's recommended to change it every 12k miles but many people will tell you to do it with each oil change.

Thanks for reply. It never did it till I got it out of shop after valve adjust. Obviously not related but the only other thing was oil change. Will get it figured out eventually.

KretonsLC; Did not notice any shavings in drained oil or filter when I dumped. Yes I meant final drive. Newer lube and full. If the noise had been there since I got it I would be oblivious I'm sure. I'm going to look at a newer one this week and if it suits me I will sell the 2009. I am not ok with selling somebody a machine that is about ready to self destruct so I will at least point it out. Thanks for your input.

I'm pretty accustomed to the whine of the motor, in fact that's one of the sexiest things about the Kawa drive trains. I hear it most in the lower gears, but much less now that I've got the BW slip-on installed. I can still catch it if I'm not winding it up to 8k+ RPM, because once I get past 5k RPM +/- the exhaust note dominates just about everything.

MJ I agree with Tex I love the Kawasaki motor sound...

However, if there is a sudden change in volume or sound after the valve adjustment I wonder what has changed?

If you rev the engine in neutral can you hear the ‘whine’? Same thing about acceleration or engine braking any noticeable difference in tone(s)?

Any difference in the sound the engine makes exactly at startup?

Mine definitely has a slight whine at times but its not tranny related I don't think. Its mostly when lower speed like 20 -25 mph up hill in like second gear with steady throttle. Its hard to hear when at hiway speeds but I think its normal and consistant. Never been a problem for me and it has 71,000 miles with no troubles.

Hard to say without hearing it in person but I'm with you , a sudden whine like that is certainly not normal .

Concur. Is it possible to record it while riding? Even if you just start the voice memo app and then put your phone in a front shirt pocket while you ride until you hear it a few times? Would be best if you had how to get the instrument cluster in frame while recording the ride. That way we can spot the RPM range where the normal timing chain and head noise pitches up like a turbo. Maybe a buddy has a go-pro you can borrow for a half hour?

Mine definitely has a slight whine at times but its not tranny related I don't think. Its mostly when lower speed like 20 -25 mph up hill in like second gear with steady throttle. Its hard to hear when at hiway speeds but I think its normal and consistant. Never been a problem for me and it has 71,000 miles with no troubles.
Concur. Is it possible to record it while riding? Even if you just start the voice memo app and then put your phone in a front shirt pocket while you ride until you hear it a few times? Would be best if you had how to get the instrument cluster in frame while recording the ride. That way we can spot the RPM range where the normal timing chain and head noise pitches up like a turbo. Maybe a buddy has a go-pro you can borrow for a half hour?
dirtwiz; Thanks. Sounds similar, only hear it at slow steady speeds in second.

Will try to record it tomorrow as it looks like rain is going to stop.

MJ I agree with Tex I love the Kawasaki motor sound...

However, if there is a sudden change in volume or sound after the valve adjustment I wonder what has changed?

If you rev the engine in neutral can you hear the ‘whine’? Same thing about acceleration or engine braking any noticeable difference in tone(s)?

Any difference in the sound the engine makes exactly at startup?
Motor sounds sweet. No whine when revving in neutral. No unusual sound at start up. Am going to ride a bit tomorrow and I appreciate all the info from you folks.

I appreciate all of your input but messed up on my responses. Will try and record sound tomorrow and get it on here for evaluation. Thank you Will figure out manuvering on site shortly.

Will look forward to the video / audio.

Since no noise at neutral rpm rev I am assuming not a vacuum leak or improperly installed chain tensioner.

Trying to ID anything different than before clearance adjustment:
Are you riding harder / different RPM?
Tires same?
All fluids are the same viscosity and brand? How many miles since adjustment? Possibly I missed this but have you changed oil after a few hundred miles post valve clearance adjustment? I would assume they used engine assembly line, you’ll want to flush that.??

Interesting..

2andblue;
Not riding differently, tires were quite low on air when I dropped off at shop so now they are at spec and I wonder if that could have eased noise? The oil change was me grasping at straws since shop put in synthetic Motul. I changed out to 15-40 to see if that was possibly the culprit. (expensive oil to have dumped). No effect. Finally got blue sky today. Will go out for a ride and try to record sound.

Well, I tried to use video to record while running in second. All I got was wind noise. For the time being I will ride and enjoy. Was just thinking that my old 1951 Ford f1 with flathead and spur gear 4 speed sounds a lot like the sound this trans makes in low gears at slow speeds. It's just so weird that I never noticed it before and am wondering if the underinflated tires were softening everything and hiding the whine. Thanks to all of you for the input and if anything changes with the bike I will post.

I think that is a good idea. I had a uncle who's 52 F1 with a flat head hat made a transmission noise as well until the muffler went bad. 4 speed on the floor. As long as the whine remains just a minor annoyance, I would not worry about it. I agree the Motul oil was not the culprit.

My experience tires can make a whine. I had a front PR4 that drove me nuts trying to figure out where the whine was coming from. It was most noticeable in OD droning down the highway. RS3's have not had the same noise issue. And tire pressure is at the recommended 42PSI. I check mine cold with a gauge.

Thank all of you. The sun returns here tomorrow and I am riding to Salem to look at, of all things, a motorcycle! Will give me some more miles to get used to it. I could kick myself for thinking about a Concours for years but never getting one till recently. I don't follow a lot if internet stuff but this site talks to me. Information overload! Meant in a good way.

I wouldn't worry about it. Theres other things to worry about if you like that stuff, like what new tires to buy, what brand oil etc etc. Someone I think maybe Tom Petty said 99% of the stuff we worry about never happens.
Just my 2 cents which isn't much I know.
Nick
2014 C-14

I remember pretty vividly the first COG rally I attended. It was interesting to hear the sound of the C-14 idle and cruise while not being on the bike. Sort of like hearing your own voice on a recording. It sounds different. I agree that the Kawasaki’s with the straight cut gears have a whine. Perhaps you are just ultra tuned into the machinery after the valve adjust?

nickrides and 4bikes. Thanks for your input. You are both right I think. Especially the part about being hyper sensitive after expensive work on bike. I took a long ride yesterday and when I am running through the gears normally it doesn't make any noise. It is at 10-15 mph just kind of slacking. Thanks All.

nickrides and 4bikes. Thanks for your input. You are both right I think. Especially the part about being hyper sensitive after expensive work on bike. I took a long ride yesterday and when I am running through the gears normally it doesn't make any noise. It is at 10-15 mph just kind of slacking. Thanks All.

Enjoy mano! You'll find that you either love that sweet sound, or you don't.
And if you don't, either convince yourself that you DO or trade it right away before you grow to hate it. LOL

I can tell you Motul is not the issue. My shifts between gears were too coarse for my liking and the transmission was a bit noisy until I started using Motul 7100 and that all changed. It is pretty quiet now and the shifts are as smooth as a baby's butt.

The shaft can also make a little noise, but most folks never hear it because their exhaust could wake the dead! Since I use an aftermarket exhaust that does not get noisy until the bike gets into the higher revs I hear most of the bike's sounds when cruising, and I agree that it sounds like music to me!

If you don't see any debris when you change your engine or shaft oil, you're in the clear. Back in the 80's I had a Yamaha FJ1100 that loved to eat up 2nd gears. It started with fine oil debris and a little noise, then the bike started coming out of 2nd gear when accelerating, and eventually would not stay in 2nd at all. I repaired it twice. It took a weekend without a a lift or stands, and no help. But eventually I decided to end the suffering and sold it. You're ok, try another type of oil.

I can tell you Motul is not the issue. My shifts between gears were too coarse for my liking and the transmission was a bit noisy until I started using Motul 7100 and that all changed. It is pretty quiet now and the shifts are as smooth as a baby's butt.

The shaft can also make a little noise, but most folks never hear it because their exhaust could wake the dead! Since I use an aftermarket exhaust that does not get noisy until the bike gets into the higher revs I hear most of the bike's sounds when cruising, and I agree that it sounds like music to me!

If you don't see any debris when you change your engine or shaft oil, you're in the clear. Back in the 80's I had a Yamaha FJ1100 that loved to eat up 2nd gears. It started with fine oil debris and a little noise, then the bike started coming out of 2nd gear when accelerating, and eventually would not stay in 2nd at all. I repaired it twice. It took a weekend without a a lift or stands, and no help. But eventually I decided to end the suffering and sold it. You're ok, try another type of oil.

Thank You Shark fuel; I have pretty well decided that I am going to ride her till she drops. The whine is pretty significant at low speed in second gear and it cycles. When running through the gears normally it is not noticeable. Since I have had valves done, ordered new tires, ecu flash, and tire pressure sensor rebuilds I think I will have to fix trans if it goes away. I hope it is not beyond my pay grade cause I think having it done at a shop would be frightening price wise.