• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Traxxion Front Springs

pilotct

Bicycle
For those of you running traxxion springs upfront what spring rate do you use? I had mine rebuilt by Traxxion and they used 1.2 kg springs - when I sent the forks to them last year I weighed 265 but since then I’ve lost 45 pounds and I’m at 220.  The ride is a bit harsh up front and I’m wondering if 45 lbs could make a difference?  Should I go with a lighter spring?  I am a street/commuter rider and one-up only.

My paper work shows a spring rate of 1.15. I'm 175 lbs fully dressed with a pocket full of change! I mostly ride loaded, 2 up or both. I assume you've made adjustments & softened things up a bit?

Cliff  :beerchug:

If you’ve lost weight  you would need less preload to get the proper sag numbers. Here’s some basic info on spring rates:

When selecting a spring rate remember that a firm spring rate will not make a bike ride “Stiff”. In fact a firmer rate with less pre load gives a plusher ride than a softer rate with more preload. Spring rates and preload will determine the range of stroke that the bike uses. Soft rates allow the chassis to ride deeper into the suspension travel and therefore into the stiffer part of the stroke. (Leverage ratio curve for the geeks). If you are on the fringe of the spring rate range, don’t be afraid to select the firmer rate.

Having said that, you may have moved two spring rates and may actually be in need of a respring. Call and talk to Traxxion, they’ll help you determine where you’re at.

Just Cliff said:
My paper work shows a spring rate of 1.15. I'm 175 lbs fully dressed with a pocket full of change! I mostly ride loaded, 2 up or both. I assume you've made adjustments & softened things up a bit?

Cliff  :beerchug:

Thanks Cliff.  I will experiment a bit but had things softened up to begin with.

Staylo said:
If you’ve lost weight  you would need less preload to get the proper sag numbers. Here’s some basic info on spring rates:

When selecting a spring rate remember that a firm spring rate will not make a bike ride “Stiff”. In fact a firmer rate with less pre load gives a plusher ride than a softer rate with more preload. Spring rates and preload will determine the range of stroke that the bike uses. Soft rates allow the chassis to ride deeper into the suspension travel and therefore into the stiffer part of the stroke. (Leverage ratio curve for the geeks). If you are on the fringe of the spring rate range, don’t be afraid to select the firmer rate.

Having said that, you may have moved two spring rates and may actually be in need of a respring. Call and talk to Traxxion, they’ll help you determine where you’re at.

Thanks Staylo - good advice

Doc said:
For those of you running traxxion springs upfront what spring rate do you use? I had mine rebuilt by Traxxion and they used 1.2 kg springs - when I sent the forks to them last year I weighed 265 but since then I’ve lost 45 pounds and I’m at 220.  The ride is a bit harsh up front and I’m wondering if 45 lbs could make a difference?  Should I go with a lighter spring?  I am a street/commuter rider and one-up only.

No. Ease off the compression damping.. better yet, do nothing til you learn what to do. Watch Dave moss videos on YouTube til you sound like him. Then try n do it.

Doc said:
Call and Speak to Dan in Service, you might be able to just change the oil and the level of the oil!

Agree. Springs hold the bike up and set sag. Oil and valving control damping and rebound. Traxxion has the answer.

Well this post has come up before my posting!

I have to sell a set of Traxxion Dynamics AK20 kit, and a Penske rear shock.

I would need your forks in trade, and the shock would be a Purchase,
$1500 TYD
I paid almost $2200 and they only have 3000 miles on them.
I will also pay for a re-spring set up for your weight!

Before watching the video's Doug posted, I watched "Suspension" and watched Chapter 1, Reality Check and several chapters that do basic explanations of the components. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywkzj1x4YE8&list=PLe3ArNVOqr7vmicGVlmOd9bgjiP1xJNB_

I've now started watching the one Doug posted.  (now paused as I was in brain overload) {It's 1 hr-48 min. long...}
  https://youtu.be/f3xdM8E_q-I
It's all really interesting, and I think' I'm learning quite a bit.
I recommend these as Max does a good job of explaining things.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Before watching the video's Doug posted, I watched "Suspension" and watched Chapter 1, Reality Check and several chapters that do basic explanations of the components. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywkzj1x4YE8&list=PLe3ArNVOqr7vmicGVlmOd9bgjiP1xJNB_

I've now started watching the one Doug posted.  (now paused as I was in brain overload) {It's 1 hr-48 min. long...}
  https://youtu.be/f3xdM8E_q-I
It's all really interesting, and I think' I'm learning quite a bit.
I recommend these as Max does a good job of explaining things.

Ride safe, Ted

TY!!

After watching the video's, I decided to experiment with what I learned.
Set sag and damping on my original but modifed C-10 front/rear suspension.
{also} Currently installing Race Tech Emulator {copies}.

Pretty slow progress because of the holidays, but finally completed.

Ride safe, Ted

JDSCO said:
Yes, Traxxion did give a COG discount, FEB2018

THanks, but that was a cryptic answer.

Assume the discount CODE was FEB2018, but how much was it, and is it still valid?

I was truly asking (not very succinctly) if they are a participating vendor, and give a perpetual discount to COG members??

gr

I purchased the entire suspension package in FEB2018
Listed is the COG discount, 2 places on invoice
Of course, you could always call Dan

I'm just being helpful

You're a smart-ass, Nate!

Attachments

• TRAXXION.jpg
    TRAXXION.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 124
JDSCO said:
You're a smart-a**, Nate!

Oh, I've NEVER heard THAT before....  :nananana:

I Do appreciate you posting that, and confirming the discount, however.
Looks like a solid 10%, and I'm down for that!

Traxxion's been closed over the holidays, hence - no call.  ::)

I'll give Dan a "jingle" after the holidays, and see what's to be done with this wonky-a**, 5 year old suspension of mine!

gr

I spoke to Dan, and he's easily convinced me to relinquish a substantial amount of Quatloos and let Traxxion do their magic on my Forks!

Question for all of you:

Do the Fork "feet" come off the lower fork tubes without removing the internals??
Of course I mean the lower stanchion with brake caliper mounts, and axle guides. 

I'm 95% certain they don't, but just want to be sure, as shipping would be Much easier if they did.

Thanks,
gr

connie_rider said:
How did it work out?

Ride safe, Ted

So, far - everything good, until I have to pay my CC bill this month!!!  :-[

To answer my own question: NO - the fork "feet" do not have to come off the bottom of the forks for shipping.

I have the forks reinstalled - and awaiting some warmer weather to get the rear Penske mounted.  No ride yet.  :'(
Had alot of little projects running concurrently on the bike, and one sometimes can't precede another.

Can''t say enough about Traxxion (Dan) and their excellent customer service and quick turn-around!  I shipped the forks to them and paid to have a pro setup an install the Ak20's in my forks.  Money well spent.  :great:
Only took a week for them to do the work.  ROCKSTAR! :whoo:

I did receive the forks back, better packed then I sent them, but one of the plastic thumb adjusters was broken in transit.  Emailed Dan, and without question, he mailed me a brand new set of Billet Adj. knobs.
GREAT c/s!

At $25 a pair, i'd say just go ahead and buy them if you're even thinking you MIGHT break your plastic knobs off....because you will - it's just a matter of time!

I'll post impression of the suspension once I get her back together, and a few (hundred) miles on her.  ;D

gr

For your weight, RaceTech recommends a 1.35 Kg/mm rate spring,  which is unavailable.  The stiffest they have is 1.2 Kg/mm.

So, I would say you are doing as best you can with the springs you have.  Maybe you could go a little less on the damping .....

They also recommend 5W fork oil.