• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trunk Lock Setup

rwantinn6038

Hi, my very first inquiry. I think this might be an interesting one. Or not. I searched but to no avail.

My '20 Concours 14 was just delivered before Christmas, and happy as hell about it, even here in Michigan in the winter. STILL excited.

They ordered the trunk for me, which arrived just before they were to deliver the bike. I told them to just go ahead and send everything over, I'm pretty handy, I could take care of it. At least I thought I could.

The lock cylinder needs to be commissioned, as it were. I have lots of little pieces in color coded bags and tiny springs. I assume they are to be fitted with the key in. Has anyone done this? There are no instructions, of course. I'm sure the dealer would be happy to do it but they are not close and I wouldn't mind taking a stab at it myself.

Any guidance or insight beyond appreciated. Thanks (in advance)!

IMG_6187.jpgIMG_6189.jpg

Maybe this:
Okay, I feel like a bit of an idiot now, but that is nothing new. This is excellent - now that I see how it works I should be able to figure it out. Hopefully the colored bags are for different keys, otherwise it might make it more interesting.

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

Welcome to COG and congrats on the 20’ - beautiful machines are they not...?!

Let us know how you turn out on the locking mechanism.

Welcome to COG and congrats on the 20’ - beautiful machines are they not...?!

Let us know how you turn out on the locking mechanism.
Thanks! Seems like a great group, both here and on social media. I'll play with the lock tomorrow, that video helped a ton.

And yes, beautiful, and madly in love with the thing. I'll use this as an opportunity to post a few pics:

IMG_6105(Edited).jpgIMG_6125.jpg

Congrats and welcome to the forum. I took delivery of my 09 Dec 08. Brought it home via trailer in between snow storms. (had mountain passes to cross over.)

I broke the bike in with 35 degree outside temps when roads were dry. Just change the oil and add gas as you eat the miles up. Advice: keep the active FOB in a deep or zipped pocket. I wear mine around my neck on a lanyard obtained at a rally.

Still own the 09, and haven't seen enough on the gen 2's to make me think of new. Besides the 09 has been very reliable.

When it warms up a bit be sure to check the calendar and find a COG event to attend. This is where you will find the real COG. Never met a Cogger I didn't like although I have to admit a couple have caused a raised eye brow or two. But all are great people and will bend over backwards to lend a hand.

Thanks guys. Certainly seems like a great group already.

I have had probably some 40 bikes or so. Only a couple have ever been brand new, as I have always been content to find something used and sort it to my liking (love working on bikes, it is therapy). Maybe it has just been this crap year, the holiday, or something else, but I just had a What The Hell Moment and took the plunge. And I am really glad I did.

Thanks again.

Just a follow-up, I am on various forums for different bikes and try not to be the guy that gets his answer and disappears, only have someone search this a year later and wonder how it went.

The color-coded bags are the different sizes - you just work your way through until it is flush with the key inserted, the video was a big help here in understanding how it worked. Just finished, all good.

Furthermore, and I should have done this sooner, Googling the part number and instructions revealed that Kawasaki actually published a PDF of the procedure, which of course was not provided to me. That's also a help on positioning and locking the stopper tumbler when installing in the trunk itself.

Again, many thanks. Glad this is out of the way.
132830171_10225012960731951_1438175170049494_n.jpg