• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trying to get reviews posted

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
Gentlemen, I have contacted 2 moderators by pm and asked for  specific recent reviews currently posted in my IM area to be moved to the new review area. I have not received confirmation that these emails have been received, and therefore I don't know if said reviews are currently in moderation status or not, awaiting approval. Please advise status. Thank you.

ETA - this post is directed to moderators only - can someone please advise if my pm's are being received?

Steve

Instead of PM'ing moderators, click on Report to Moderator and state what you want moved. This puts in front of more people to review and take action.

Thanks,

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Gumby said:
Instead of PM'ing moderators, click on Report to Moderator and state what you want moved. This puts in front of more people to review and take action.

Thanks,

10-4, thanks - Steve

Reviews have been moved, the first post in a thread cannot be split off so folks need to post their review in the review section going forward.

This is not an easy process, so if you want reviews in the review area, advise the posters they should place it there first.

Back to my job.....

Thank you KV5E. Understand the only reason I posted this is because there had been no communication and I didn't know if the pm's were ever recieived. I'll do as Gumby suggested going forward. Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Thank you KV5E. Understand the only reason I posted this is because there had been no communication and I didn't know if the pm's were ever recieived. I'll do as Gumby suggested going forward. Steve

We're not moving future reviews from any IM section. If you want a review in the review section, then vet the person to put them there.

This is the way it will be operated going forth from now after discussion within the BoD and Mods.

The rules for the review section contain this;
If you have already posted a review that remains elsewhere, please do not double post or repeat by writing another review of the same product.

If a review by any author already exists elsewhere it remains where it is.  The IM section was never supposed to have reviews, but but how to make this section work has eluded us for months.  Now that the review  section is open, unless complete threads are dismembered and many many comments deleted, we csnnot move them.  Thus, as the rule states, the post "REMAINS ELSEWHERE."  The review section is for us to post ALL reviews going forward.  Existing reviews and their associated comments remain where posted.

Rev Ryder said:
If a review by any author already exists elsewhere it remains where it is.  The IM section was never supposed to have reviews, but but how to make this section work has eluded us for months.  Now that the review  section is open, unless complete threads are dismembered and many many comments deleted, we csnnot move them.  Thus, as the rule states, the post "REMAINS ELSEWHERE."  The review section is for us to post ALL reviews going forward.  Existing reviews and their associated comments remain where posted.

I notice that some of my competitors reviews have been moved to the review section AFTER the date of the above post, and placed in the review area. I think fairness would dictate that action for all reviews, regardless of what product they are for. Maybe a link to the reviews is the best way to handle it, as there are many and it's not my intent to create work for our staff. However, if an area is going to be marked "reviews" for potential customers to research products, putting ALL of one members reviews and not doing likewise for all other members doesn't give the prospective customer a true read on doing business with a vendor, based on the reviews that are not being represented.
thanks, Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Rev Ryder said:

I notice that some of my competitors reviews have been moved to the review section AFTER the date of the above post, and placed in the review area. I think fairness would dictate that action for all reviews, regardless of what product they are for. Maybe a link to the reviews is the best way to handle it, as there are many and it's not my intent to create work for our staff. However, if an area is going to be marked "reviews" for potential customers to research products, putting ALL of one members reviews and not doing likewise for all other members doesn't give the prospective customer a true read on doing business with a vendor, based on the reviews that are not being represented.
thanks, Steve

Sorry Steve, but you are wrong.  That rule was posted when the review section was originally opened.  Fairness dictated that the one review that was moved was a COMPARATIVE review for which there was no other legal place of residence.  It was originally posted in Ivan's section which violated policy.  It was then moved to the C-14 section, but there too it violated policy. So the post was removed from public view until the review section tested out as functional and then it was inserted there. 

The REVIEW section was designed and intended to house ONLY reviews.  Not threads.  There is no responding to any review possible.  They are to be standalone as the opinions of the author with no possibility for nay saying , personal attacks, and dog-piling.  They have to be approved by a moderator to assure civility of tone, not for content.  You were the first person I told about the plan for a review section last December immediately following the BoD meeting that approved it.  It was intended to be initiated at the same time as the changes to the IM section.  You thought it an outstanding improvement (and it is).  However, the logistics of making it happen eluded us and it actually proved to be impossible and so reviews have been permitted in the IM sections where they became, for the most part, threads containing multiple posts.  However, a more recent discovery of some Simple Machines functions re-opened the door to the possibility of the Review Section being made possible again which it ultimately was made to work "pretty much" as originally intended.  At that point the section was opened and as quickly as was possible, the comparative review was moved there.

Given time, that section will fill out with reviews of many products and services.  But as has long been a policy, dual postings are not permitted.  When someone posted a review or commentary to an IM section, it has almost universally been appended with comments from others.  Since the review section is for single posts only and because the original posters of those comments deserve to have their posts not be removed or removed from context, those threads will remain as and where posted. THAT is the only FAIR way to deal with the current situation and be fair to all the posters, not only the IMs.  Nothing is removed or lost.  The past six to seven months of those posts that have been made in the IM sections should remain.  In another six months and beyond as the content of each section grows, they will become a smaller part of the IM's section  but they are still positive testimony of each IM's work and product.  THIS really is the only fair way to address the issue.