• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tuning Upgrades

adam5782

Hi Everyone,
I have been reading that the C14 engine is the same as the ZX14 with ECU Tuning, 40mm injectors, and gearing changes. Has anyone tried to plug a ZX1400 ECU in to try and unlock some of the sleeping horsies?

Adam, The zx14 ecu is not compatible with the ZG series. The engines do have some commonality but are not the same and the two bikes have different technologies that prevent ecu swapping between the two.. If you want to unlock sleeping ponies your best choice is to get yours flashed. There are two very good popular vendors for ECU flashing. You will be happy with either one.

Last edited:
I am new to the C14 (20+ years on a Triumph). There seems to be a lot of sensitivity about posting topics about flashing so I won't give any details. I just sent my ECU off to get flashed. The difference was pretty dramatic. The biggest first impression was how much smoother the engine feels. Too bad kawasaki didn't deliver the Concours like that from the factory. Definitely money well spent.

The conversation literally ended after this post. The c-14 uses kipass (a security system) and the zx14 doesn't. The ECU's can never mix.

That said, the question belies a common misconception... that the tuning creates all the power. Not so. The hard parts create the opportunity to create power. The tuning pulls it all together, like seasoning in a great stew. Without the seasoning, all the ingredients are there but the stew is bland and unimpressive. Good seasoning makes all the flavors work together and bring out the best flavor in the stew. This is a very appropriate analogy when it comes to tuning.

Steve

Riding motorcycles was my motivation for hitting the gym. I'd like to ride as long as possible. I am 55.5 and doing weight training and cardio several times a week has done wonders for my motorcycling stamina. I've been riding since I was ~20 and hope to be riding for another 20 years.

Yeah, I have some high school friends that did everything right and have lots of money, and they will never get to spend it, because of health problems.
I use to get down on myself for my racing years, spending too much $, well now I look back, and it doesn't bother me, you never know If you have tomorrow, a healthy tomorrow and because I've bought a few pieces of real estate 20 some years ago I have enough.

Facing challenges, like most of us at this point in life are. I hope you're doing better. Gotta wonder why they call it "the golden years" ... it should be called "the rust years".

Steve
One thing we all have in common. Rust never sleeps. Welcome back Steve!

What's the typical turnaround on an ecu flash from Steve or Ivan?

Typically same day turnaround upon receipt. The remainder of the time is shipping. If shorter time is important, ship there overnight and request overnight or 2-day return shipment.

The conversation literally ended after this post. The c-14 uses kipass (a security system) and the zx14 doesn't. The ECU's can never mix.

That said, the question belies a common misconception... that the tuning creates all the power. Not so. The hard parts create the opportunity to create power. The tuning pulls it all together, like seasoning in a great stew. Without the seasoning, all the ingredients are there but the stew is bland and unimpressive. Good seasoning makes all the flavors work together and bring out the best flavor in the stew. This is a very appropriate analogy when it comes to tuning.

Steve
Great to hear from you Steve. Rust in the right light and at the right stages can appear sort of gold, however I have always thought that phrase likened the golden watch or something given at retirement. Hope your property is clearing up well.

Yesterday I sent my ECU to get reflashed. It's about a 260-mile ride since I have an account at FEDX I went there, 1.2 LBs, $27.60, I said no way, USPS in the small box they provide, $10.60.
Shipping prices have gone crazy.

Yesterday I sent my ECU to get reflashed. It's about a 260-mile ride since I have an account at FEDX I went there, 1.2 LBs, $27.60, I said no way, USPS in the small box they provide, $10.60.
Shipping prices have gone crazy.
Yes it has. Forever stamps just went up too.

Has anyone noticed that the OP hasn't been back on the forum since he posted this thread? Claims to be from the UK, but refers to the "concours 1400 ABS" ; "c14" ; and "zx14".
Seems odd to me.

Well, he's misinformed. The bore and stroke pre-2012 were the same. That's about it, forged higher compression pistons, VVT, that's why I used old ZX14 headers with the small tubes not to lose the low end; I learned from my racing days that peak HP is not as important as most people think because not much time is spent there,
I had a friend that always won Pro Gas outboard drag racing, he sent his block back to the original engine builder because the Nikasil cylinder coating started flaking off
unbeknownst to him the porting was changed, so he was no longer dominant because he lost acceleration, He was livid when he found out what they did, The builders reply was it makes more HP on the Dyno, he said i'm not racing a Dyno.

Last edited:
I came to the same conclusions after a bit more research. Thanks for the responses. I have been looking at options for tuning. I found a system here in the UK that allows you to flash your own and they provide a subscription to new images so you can flash your bike based on the ride you plan on having. I'll send a link but would love to get your feedback.

@cuda; I am also hungry.

Edit:

Last edited:
Adam, you can buy the Woolich equipment and develop a program that works for you.
But, you'd be better off to send your ECU in and have it flashed by someone that already has a proper program that works for your bike.
ie; Less work for a Flash that does what you want.

If you want more, read thru the various discussions in the Forum and you'll find information to change some of the hard parts.
Adding some of them "will allow the engine to produce more power".
But the Connie is not a ZX. It's heavier and meant to do what it does.
Some have pushed the Connie to the ZX++ power range and broke things.
If you want ZX power, I'd suggest you get a ZX.

Steve is in this discussion and can answer some of your questions here, but (because he is an Industry vendor) isn't allowed to advertise on this discussion. I suggest you send him a PM and discuss your plans.

Ride safe, Ted

Adam, you can buy the Woolich equipment and develop a program that works for you.
But, you'd be better off to send your ECU in and have it flashed by someone that already has a proper program that works for your bike.
ie; Less work for a Flash that does what you want.

If you want more, read thru the various discussions in the Forum and you'll find information to change some of the hard parts.
Adding some of them "will allow the engine to produce more power".
But the Connie is not a ZX. It's heavier and meant to do what it does.
Some have pushed the Connie to the ZX++ power range and broke things.
If you want ZX power, I'd suggest you get a ZX.

Steve is in this discussion and can answer some of your questions here, but (because he is an Industry vendor) isn't allowed to advertise on this discussion. I suggest you send him a PM and discuss your plans.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks,
I am not really looking for ZX power just wondering what’s possible. Definitely have a lot to learn about this bike over the coming months before I jump into anything. I managed to get out for a ride yesterday (my first ride) and I am definitely not unhappy with the power it has now.

Has anyone noticed that the OP hasn't been back on the forum since he posted this thread? Claims to be from the UK, but refers to the "concours 1400 ABS" ; "c14" ; and "zx14".
Seems odd to me.
I’m still here. I also have a job and children. :)
I am from Canada originally and moved here about 7 years ago. Lived in Nevada for a few years as well. Spent some time in West Africa after leaving the US.
Have not had a bike since living in North America. I rode the ZX600e in Canada, moved to a zx900r when I moved to Nevada.
So… what exactly seems odd? :)

Thanks,
I am not really looking for ZX power just wondering what’s possible. Definitely have a lot to learn about this bike over the coming months before I jump into anything. I managed to get out for a ride yesterday (my first ride) and I am definitely not unhappy with the power it has now.
The power the ZG engine can produce is limited only by $$. Some have pushed it over 200HP, and learned the frame/drive shaft aren't designed for that much power.
Your stock engine will develop approx. 140 HP at the rear wheel. Adding a Flash, slip on (150 range), and mebbe add a header will make 160ish HP possible. From there you can add cams/throttle bodies etc if you want to go for more.
But Absolute HP is NOT where you want to go, particularly if you ride the Alp's.
What you want to do is smooth the power curve and increase low/mid range torque while increasing the Peak HP a bit.
You'll be amazed what the Connie can do with that, and a Flash alone will do it.

Hope this helps you hook up with other GTR riders in the EU.
Boomer Garratt is in the UK with you. He IS a great guy to ride with. I'll try to look him up for you.

In Belgium there is a GTR-1400 club that is led by a Buddy of mine (called Magic). I'll try to find out how to get in touch with him too if you wish?
Would be a good group to ride with. Or reach out to Gie.
Try Facebook; Kawasaki GTR1400 Expert Groep Benelux or www.facebook.com/gie.lambeir
In Germany, the GCE Club (GTRR Club of Europe) originated. Another great group to ride with and they do some interesting events. I rode with them 3 times in the Alps. Wow!!
Go here and look up the GCE events. (Their getting ready for ride in Scotland) http://eu.zggtr.org/splash.html

I (and several other Americans) participated in this event with them 2 times. Good folks.
(Watch the Event Video's)
https://sites.google.com/site/gcerally2016/home/event-presentation-video

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I’m still here. I also have a job and children. :)
I am from Canada originally and moved here about 7 years ago. Lived in Nevada for a few years as well. Spent some time in West Africa after leaving the US.
Have not had a bike since living in North America. I rode the ZX600e in Canada, moved to a zx900r when I moved to Nevada.
So… what exactly seems odd? :)
The power the ZG engine can produce is limited only by $$. Some have pushed it over 200HP, and learned the frame/drive shaft aren't designed for that much power.
Your stock engine will develop approx. 140 HP at the rear wheel. Adding a Flash, slip on (150 range), and mebbe add a header will make 160ish HP possible. From there you can add cams/throttle bodies etc if you want to go for more.
But Absolute HP is NOT where you want to go, particularly if you ride the Alp's.
What you want to do is smooth the power curve and increase low/mid range torque while increasing the Peak HP a bit.
You'll be amazed what the Connie can do with that, and a Flash alone will do it.

Hope this helps you hook up with other GTR riders in the EU.
Boomer Garratt is in the UK with you. He IS a great guy to ride with. I'll try to look him up for you.
In Belgium there is a GTR-1400 club that is led by a Buddy of mine (called Magic). I'll try to find out how to get in touch with him too if you wish?
Would be a good group to ride with.
In Germany, the GCE Club (GTRR Club of Europe) originated. Another great group to ride with and they do some interesting events. I rode with them 3 times in the Alps. Wow!!
Go here and look up the GCE events. (Their getting ready for ride in Scotland) http://eu.zggtr.org/splash.html

Ride safe, Ted
Looking to do a ride into the continent in a few months. My first big ride will be up to Edinburgh in May just commuting into London city centre and some rides around Essex in the meantime.
Bike needs a little work before May.
Despite the bike’s size it’s pretty nimble zipping around cars in city traffic.

Ted, you are correct in your analysis of the ZG ver ZX..You can make the ZG very potent with a small investment. It is not, nor ever will be a ZX14. The VVT is engineered for sport touring, moving a heavy motorcycle very well. I love my 09 Connie, it does everything well. Spanked a few unsuspecting riders...lol..Sean