• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Used ECU for flash

KiloXray

This is probably mostly a question for Steve, but would be happy to hear other's thoughts as well.

I'm very interested and likely to do an MRP flash on my 2017 C14. That said, I don't really want much if any down time on the bike as I ride almost every day.

Is it possible (or advisable/inadvisable) to buy another used ECU online somewhere, so that I can maybe run the used one while my original is off to Shoodabeen for a week or so?

If so, are there pros/cons to doing so? Any dangers? And where in the heck do I get one?

Cheers,
Rob

For one thing, Steve can have your ECU back in a few days. For another, the ECU you buy would have to be programmed for the bike. The FOBs, TPMS and I'm sure more. You don't just drop one in.

gsun said:
For one thing, Steve can have your ECU back in a few days. For another, the ECU you buy would have to be programmed for the bike. The FOBs, TPMS and I'm sure more. You don't just drop one in.

I understand his turnaround is only a couple of days, but I live on the opposite corner of the country from him (WA state) so, the mail is going to take at least 2 or 3 days each way. That puts me off the bike for a little over a week most likely. I can deal with it if I have to, but I was looking for alternatives.

I was not aware that the key fobs and TPMS are linked into the ECU as well.

Wait till it snows!

If you are in WA, will you be going to the National in Vancouver?

gsun said:
Wait till it snows!

Indeed. Snow will slow me down, lol.

Edit: Just realized that the Nat ride is a M-F, so I might be able to make it. Would be pretty cool!

As Gregg noted, you would have to have the replacement matched to your bike, from the service at a dealer with a KDS3 system, this alone would take a bit of time, and you have to worry they know what they are doing.. and pay them.
Then, when yours comes back, I believe it would need to be "re-initiated" to be recognized again (again, via KDS3), and another trip to them.. even tho the "i.d. code" for it is already stored, it needs to be picked again.

Just wait till it snows, as suggested... even from Washington to Fla and back, it's only a week...  I'm in Ohio, and mine was only a couple days... It's sent thru Priority mail....and insured.
:motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

MAN OF BLUES said:
As Gregg noted, you would have to have the replacement matched to your bike, from the service at a dealer with a KDS3 system, this alone would take a bit of time, and you have to worry they know what they are doing.. and pay them.
Then, when yours comes back, I believe it would need to be "re-initiated" to be recognized again (again, via KDS3), and another trip to them.. even tho the "i.d. code" for it is already stored, it needs to be picked again.

Just wait till it snows, as suggested... even from Washington to Fla and back, it's only a week...  I'm in Ohio, and mine was only a couple days... It's sent thru Priority mail....and insured.
:motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Well, its settled. I'm not looking to deal with that much pain in the ass in order to not lose the bike for a week. Thanks for the heads up, guys.

wise choice... seriously.

it's a painless procedure, when undertaken, and is worth the time spent, to just remove/ send/receive, re-install..

Rob said:
gsun said:
Wait till it snows!

Indeed. Snow will slow me down, lol.

Edit: Just realized that the Nat ride is a M-F, so I might be able to make it. Would be pretty cool!

Rob, we hope to see you there.
And just soo you won't feel left out;
  When you arrive, come ride with us...

Ride safe, Ted
PS: Just to help ya out,  I thought I'd help you understand the COG customs.  >:D
      ie; It's customary for the new guy to buy the first round of beer. <sly grin>
            But don't worry, there will only be about 30 or so folks riding with our group... :great:

I know this is an old thread.. but.. and Steve can attest to this.. you don't need a KDS3 to register modules.. it's the only *approved* method,. but I bought a spare FI ECU from ebay, registered it to my bike using my $450 OBDStar iScan, and shipped my original FI ECU to Steve.. I was able to continue riding the entire time I waited on my original ECU. Side note: this unit does require internet access to update and register modules.