• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Valencia Results!

Hogboy

Street Cruiser
Figured a new thread would let us concentrate a bit better on a truly insane race.

- Bautista (my man!) seems to turn into Dovi on turn one and takes out what seemed to be 50% of the field - just happy no-one was hurt
- at first I thought Dovi was the culprit but the replay shows him lifting the rear under braking, turning into a Dovi-up-the-inside, and then pinballing the factory Dook team as well as somebody else
- suddenly, the backmarkers have a shot at getting top 5 finishes with the 1st turn crash plus the non-start of Lorenzo and our poor Marco
- contrary to my earlier criticism, Hayes actually hangs in at the back and finishes ahead of a few guys (wet riding a factor methinks)
- GREAT battle for 2nd after Stoner flat leaves (Spies, Dovi and Pedrosa)
- then things settle in until a crazy last few laps - Stoner slows markedly after a bit of wet
- Spies suddenly leaves Dovi and Pedrosa behind (figure it was more wet determination than  bike) and passes Stoner with 3 to go
- turns out Stoner is lame duck and gets Spies by a hair at the line

Cant't wait for next year and 1000cc bikes!

Wow, what a race for Spies and Yamaha.  I can only see more good things in this guy's future, and I think he'll take to the 1000's like a duck to water.

Could only see the 5 min clip on Speedtv.com as I'm stuck in a hotel for work again this weekend, with just the standard channels.  :(  Article on their website (http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/motogp-stoner-over-spies-by-0015) seems to pin the blame for the turn 1 crash on Dovi's hard charge into the corner, interesting.  Amazingly bad luck for Ducati, what are the odds of one crash taking out all their bikes???  :-[

Glad to hear Hayes represent, especially in such a crazy race.  Looking forward to seeing him when I get home and fire up the dvr.

Was surprised to see Stoner gun it at the end; a lesser competitor (think Lorenzo) would've settled for second given the track conditions and already having the championship locked up.  Gotta respect that, but I'm looking for Ben to blacken his eye a few times next year.  :sign0151:

The initial impression was that Dovi went nuts at the start, came up the inside from about 9th to, say 4th, and took everybody out because he was way too hot.

When you look at the replay, however, it seems he pulled a classic holeshot, was clearly ahead of Bautista going into the corner and Bautista turned into him after over-braking.

Loved to see Dovi beat Pedrosa as he "lost" his Honda ride to Pedrosa for next year.  He also pipped him the the yearly standings as well.

marco-simoncelli-slide.jpg

I only caught the last 10 minutes or so. But I could not believe Stoner caught Spies at the end. It's like that Honda had turbo boost once they came off the last turn. Like it had an extra 30 mph. Unbelievable!

I think Honda hit one into the seats with that new dual clutch setup this year.  When I was at Indy for the races I sat at the last turn into the front straight and it was obvious how much quicker the Hondas were to come up to speed from a 2nd (maybe 1st?) gear turn.  I have to believe that through all the gear changes in a race, even the smallest improvement in shift times has to add up to seconds overall- and the Honda factory riders plainly took advantage of this in dominating most, if not all, the podiums.

The first turn crash took out one Suzuki and 3 Ducati's. In order was Bautista, Rossi, DePuniet and
Hayden on the outside. The sad part is that DePuniet started from 4th and was the fastest most
consistent Ducati in the field. Rossi & Hayden would have been up near the front with the weather
conditions which favored them & the Duc's.

Looking forward to Tuesday & Wednesday testing to see the overall field (hope the CRT teams are
present) and see how things shake out for the first group test of the 1000's.  :motonoises:

I saw a tape delay of the last few laps of MotoGP, then saw the start of the tape delay of Moto2.  Saw a wickedly abrupt highside in the Moto2 race.  Looked like the race leader at the time, whoever it was had the back end step out on a lefthander, then it snapped back and just SLAMMED him into the pavement.  Last I saw of him he was face down in the gravel, slowly flexing the fingers of his right hand to see if they still worked. 

Troidus,

That was the other Gresini rider, Yuki Takahashi, who was leading the race and then highsided.
His team mate Pirro went on to win the race for Gresini and dedicate it to Marco Simoncelli.

What shocked me is I never saw another word about that crash.  He looked in bad shape you would think they would have at least let us know how he was doing.

smithr-scad said:
What shocked me is I never saw another word about that crash.  He looked in bad shape you would think they would have at least let us know how he was doing.

Those Brits (commentators), don't you know- stiff upper lip and all, hip, hip!  On with the race...  ::)