• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

VBR4 (Very Boring Rally 4)

motocommuter

Any of you heard what dates in August 2018?

I'm assuming you MN/WI COG'ers will be at the Ski lift you were at in 2013.

I'm planning on making the trip from GA, only 1,200+ miles to camp for a couple days.

They're probably enjoying riding and ignoring their calendar the same as we are....  :))

I'll be at the ski lift again. I wonder who has the left over "tape".

This is a most excellent rally.

VBR4 is still in the planning stages. Talked to an Aerostich employee at the Mpls IMS and was told it will not be at Spirit Mountain. He said Aerostich was the first group to hold a big summertime event at Spirit Mountain and now it's become so popular that the prices skyrocketed. All the people at the ski area who had worked with Areostich are gone. The new ones are harder to work with and don't care that Aerostich helped start the summertime events trend. The place is owned by the city of Duluth, so go figure.

They are working a on new location, possibly at a large park on Lake Superior in the City of Superior, WI. 

Sounds like it will around the same time period as VBR3 - sometime in August. Keep watching their web site for announcements.

Cookie said:
VBR4 is still in the planning stages. Talked to an Aerostich employee at the Mpls IMS and was told it will not be at Spirit Mountain. He said Aerostich was the first group to hold a big summertime event at Spirit Mountain and now it's become so popular that the prices skyrocketed. All the people at the ski area who had worked with Areostich are gone. The new ones are harder to work with and don't care that Aerostich helped start the summertime events trend. The place is owned by the city of Duluth, so go figure.

They are working a on new location, possibly at a large park on Lake Superior in the City of Superior, WI. 

Sounds like it will around the same time period as VBR3 - sometime in August. Keep watching their web site for announcements.

Heya Jim. Thanks for the update. Hope things are well for you and yours.

Cookie said:

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Let us know if you hear a date. I'm on their email notification as well. Last time it was the 3rd weekend in August, that's what I'm planning on right now. Still have to work and schedule time off unlike some of our membership.  :)

I plan on being at VBR4. I'll be joining the retirement world of Steve J in late March or early April, so I will have the time to attend. If I can't make it to Duluth, I should sell all my bikes. That's no reality, so I guess I better there.

I'll be the guy with the COG group at an Aerostich Rally on my FJR wearing Klim gear. I hope they let me in. Someone has to cause trouble.

We will pass on information on dates and location once things are set up.   

Cookie said:
I plan on being at VBR4. I'll be joining the retirement world of Steve J in late March or early April, so I will have the time to attend. If I can't make it to Duluth, I should sell all my bikes. That's no reality, so I guess I better there.

I'll be the guy with the COG group at an Aerostich Rally on my FJR wearing Klim gear. I hope they let me in. Someone has to cause trouble.

We will pass on information on dates and location once things are set up. 
Congrats on the big R. April Fools Day will mark two years for me. It seemed an appropriate day to sign off from the "real" world. And retirement still does not suck.

Off to work on the new generator for the Roadtrek.

ttfn.  :beerchug:

Hay SteveJ give me a PM rwulf@chartermi.net about

your Roadtrek generator. I also have a Roadtrek with

question with my generator.

Thanks

I was reading on another forum they are considering having this at a different location due to cost at Spirit Mountain.

OK, we are now in February, I am trying to make plans for this summer, would love to go to this and make it part of my normal week in MN fishing, I need them to finalize the dates, location etc, I'll bet COG already has most of our 2019 Rally set up!  Come on Aerostich!

Yeah, it's a little frustrating they can't at least provide a date. They did the same last time, don't think the dates came but a few months before.

I'm with ya. I have to earmark the calendar since I moved everything outa the way for the spring events...and most of that is landing in August and September.

Alas, the woes of the riding calendar.

That would be a weekend that could work. Meander back over the top of Superior, stop in Ottawa to visit Canadian ant Mrs Steve, wonder down through PA and WV winding up at the RWTW, then on to the Spider Rally followed by the Arkansas Rally.

A fun six-seven weeks.

I even get to visit grandkids as a bonus.

MotoCommuter said:
In 2013 it was the weekend before Labor Day, probably be the same this time around.

It was the weekend before the 2013 National. I left the VBR & rode over to Idaho for the National.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Copy of vbr3 schedule:

Thursday Schedule (8/22/13)
Noon Registration opens at Noon
Friday Schedule (8/23/13)
9am-9pm Registration Open
9-6pm NATC Trials
9-4pm Retail Space Open
9:00-10:00 Dellan Johnson (Aerostich Riding Gear Maintenance & Repair) Fireside Room
9:30-11:00 David Hough(Confessions of a Motorcycle Journalist) Seminar Area
10:00-11:30 Corinne Jutz ( ) Fireside Room
11:30-1:00 Paul Mondor (The Iceman) Seminar Area
11:30-1:00 Rand Rasmussen - Autographed copies of his I94 Reader in the vendor area
1:00-2:30 Greg Frazier (Sun Chasing: Five Times Around the World) Seminar Area
1:00-2:30 Slat Grills - product demo of portable grilling system outside grounds
2:30-4:30 Andy Goldfine (30 Years of History & Development) Seminar Area
5:00-7:00 Open Mic Poetry Reading - Poetry Stage at the Front of the Chalet
9:30-10:30 John Branyan (Comedian) Seminar Area
6:00-11:00 Andrew Austin & Guest (music in the Moosehead Saloon)
Saturday Schedule (8/24/13)
9am-9pm Registration Open
9-6pm NATC Trials
9-4pm Retail Space Open
9:00-10:30 Paul Pelland - (Having MS is Like Riding a Russian URAL in the Iron Butt Rally)
10-4pm Eli Bissonett - Strolling Violinist
10:30-1:00 Eric w/Wolfman (Proper Packing Procedures) Seminar Area
10:30-1:00 Slat Grills - product demo of protable grilling system outside grounds
1:00-2:30 John Ryan (Long Distance Riding) Seminar Area
12:00-2:00 Award Judging (MC'd from Main Stage)
2:00-3:30 Bob Higdon - (unknown topic) Seminar Area
3:00-4:00 "Greg Frazier & Richard Livermore - (Longest, most difficult, and most perilous motorcycle journey ever attempted (1912-1913)"
4:00-5:30 VIP Meet & Greet in the Moosehead Saloon
5:00-7:00 BBQ Dinner - in front of the chalet
6:30-8:00 Rally Awards & Main Door Prizes
9:00-10:30 Honeycutters - Main Stage
9:30-1:00 Campfire & S'Mores - on grounds in front of main stage
Sunday Schedule (8/25/13)
9-6pm NATC Trials Competition
9-Noon Retail Space Open
6:30-9:30am Farewell Brunch - Mountain Top Grill
8am Non-Denominational Service - located on stage in front of the chalet
An Aerostich C

worncog said:
Do you have some details Steve?  :eek:

None as far as the event but heard it will be around Superior, WI instead of Spirit Mountain in Duluth. Spirit Mountain apparently got a bit greedy. Too bad, nice venue.

I posted on their FB site if they could at least tell us the dates and they responded with August 17-19, 2018.
In previous years you could show up on Thursday.

I'm out. This was posted on the VBR4 website:

The Party's Over?! Not entirely, join us to celebrate 35 years of Aerostich with the VBR4 - Friday August 17th thru Sunday August 19th. We threw a pretty nice party for the VBR’s 2 and 3, but we will not be doing that type of event again this time. This year the anniversary event will be small and simple, with activities taking place only at the Aerostich factory building. (Our previous venue jacked up the rental fees, so yeah, we're cheaping out this year…). No camping, no lecture halls, no trials event, etc. We'd still love to have you visit us for some more low-key good-times, both planned and impromptu. You’ll still get a pin and a t-shirt and some other swag if you show up. Factory tours, presentations, seminars, in-store only specials, self-guided riding tours, as well as a few prizes, awards, games, great food and more.

Hhmmm...A simple WTF is fitting.

I have a two week class that ends on that Friday, so chances of me making it were slim but possible. Guess I'll go to Maine instead...

MotoCommuter said:
I'm out. This was posted on the VBR4 website:

The Party's Over?! Not entirely, join us to celebrate 35 years of Aerostich with the VBR4 - Friday August 17th thru Sunday August 19th. We threw a pretty nice party for the VBR’s 2 and 3, but we will not be doing that type of event again this time. This year the anniversary event will be small and simple, with activities taking place only at the Aerostich factory building. (Our previous venue jacked up the rental fees, so yeah, we're cheaping out this year…). No camping, no lecture halls, no trials event, etc. We'd still love to have you visit us for some more low-key good-times, both planned and impromptu. You’ll still get a pin and a t-shirt and some other swag if you show up. Factory tours, presentations, seminars, in-store only specials, self-guided riding tours, as well as a few prizes, awards, games, great food and more.

I'm out too!

Cliff  :beerchug:

This does simplify summer travel plans. Not in a good way.  :'(

I'm glad I was able to attend VBR3. I had a really great time at a well run rally and got to hang around some pretty cool folks.

And I was even protected by the "police presence". Think tape.

This is disappointing. I think blaming the ski resort is kind of lame. Just raise the price to meet the cost. I agree it does simplify summer plans.

Jeff Kerkow said:
This is disappointing. I think blaming the ski resort is kind of lame. Just raise the price to meet the cost. I agree it does simplify summer plans.
Agreed on lame, just hike up the fee. It was a cool event

Too bad about VBR4. I knew the Spirit Mountain ski area site was out for this year. The ski area is run by the City of Duluth, so dealing with the political machine in Duluth can be difficult. All of the people from the ski area that helped make the last two VBRs happen are gone, leaving a new crop of unelected public officials in charge. No locality to the groups like Aerostich that helped develop the summer business. Sounds like things didn't pan out with the city of Superior park location.

I like Tom's idea on a Castle Danger anniversary. I've been to the new facility in Two Harbors a few time. A lot bigger than the original shack in downtown Castle Danger. A number of tables so you can enjoy the products made on site. There's also take out available. The new facility is down by the harbor, in the downtown part of the city. Very scenic.

Not sure about camping in the area, but there must be places available.

downtown Castle Danger
    :D    You mean the garage in the middle of the campground...

I'm in for a weekend reunion up the N Shore to Aerostich, Two Harbors, Camp 61,  maybe ride in to Ely and take the long way home?  ;)

Rasmith said:
Or you can join us in the Black Hills July 9. :)
I wanted to do this, great area. The timing will not work for me, at least at this point in time. I will likely be around Mt. Shasta or thereabouts then.

Tundra Tom said:
Maybe get a group ride together? North Central and any others that want to join and go Camping...or Hotel (Camp 61) up the North Shore on Saturday after the event.
http://campsixtyone.com/map.html

I have not been to Castle Danger Brewery.....Bakery... since they moved into Two Harbors.
https://www.castledangerbrewery.com/

They are having a Anniversary Party that weekend.
https://www.castledangerbrewery.com/event/anniversary-weekend-18/

I was counting on the VBR as well but this sounds like a great idea.  I'm in!

Well... lets make a weekend of it.
Ride starts at Perkins Stillwater Saturday morning August 18th.2050 W Frontage Rd, Stillwater, MN 55082
It's a 3 hour ride to Aerostich via the Wisconsin side. You can drone the freeway back home Sunday. ;)
Kickstands up at 8:30 AM sharp.
We can accommodate Coggers tenting from afar on Friday night being 45 min. North of Stillwater. Contact me for directions. Pontoon rides included, bring your swimsuit!

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/2050+W+Frontage+Rd,+Stillwater,+MN+55082/8+S+18th+Ave+W,+Duluth,+MN+55806/@45.7734448,-94.0400074,8z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x52b2cbd7739f3b13:0xb09a0addf0192578!2m2!1d-92.8343486!2d45.0367924!3m4!1m2!1d-92.3647912!2d45.8970154!3s0x52aded4255a3ec4b:0xd7780397806e301b!1m5!1m1!1s0x52ae4d7eddc63841:0xac3de061670c8f86!2m2!1d-92.120289!2d46.769755!3e0?hl=en

Aerostich Factory first, 8 S 18th Ave W, Duluth, MN 55806. Then off to Castle Danger in Two Harbors (45 minutes) for their Anniversary event.
17 – 7th Street
Two Harbors, MN 55616
(218) 834-5800

From there its a 30 minute ride to Camp 61 in Beaver Bay via Hiway 61 or the long way through the Forest Highway 2 (15) to 11 back down to Beaver Bay - One Hour.
http://www.campsixtyone.com/

There are two State Parks prior to Beaver Bay, Split Rock and Gooseberry Falls and one past it for camping if you are so inclined, Tettegouche. Note: State Parks fill early.
Lax Lake campground and cabins, 10 min. from Beaver Bay looks nice and highly rated.
http://www.laxlakeresort.com/pb/wp_df0376c0/wp_df0376c0.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=campgrounds+near+beaver+bay+mn&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS758US758&oq=camping+near+beaver+bay&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.26734j0j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

They only have 8 rooms at  Camp 61 and a large Bunk House with two day min. stay so get your reservations in early!
Keep an eye on this thread for any additional information.
Cheers!

I contacted Camp 61 Hotel and Restaurant. They have 5 rooms available for 8/18, 3 single bed and two double bed. If you are considering staying there you should reserve a room soon. North Shore lodging fills up fast in the summertime. http://www.campsixtyone.com/

Very boring re-post: If you are considering camping at my place Frday 8/17 and/ or Sunday 8/19 please let me know ahead of time via PM. I will be also be grilling for anyone that stays. This Fishing has slowed down but the lake is always cool for swimming.
Ride starts at Perkins Stillwater Saturday morning August 18th.2050 W Frontage Rd, Stillwater, MN 55082
It's a 3 hour ride to Aerostich via the Wisconsin side. You can drone the freeway back home Sunday. ;)
Kickstands up at 8:30 AM sharp.
We can accommodate Coggers tenting from afar on Friday night being 45 min. North of Stillwater and Sunday night on the return. Contact me for directions. Pontoon rides included, bring your swimsuit!

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/2050+W+Frontage+Rd,+Stillwater,+MN+55082/8+S+18th+Ave+W,+Duluth,+MN+55806/@45.7734448,-94.0400074,8z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x52b2cbd7739f3b13:0xb09a0addf0192578!2m2!1d-92.8343486!2d45.0367924!3m4!1m2!1d-92.3647912!2d45.8970154!3s0x52aded4255a3ec4b:0xd7780397806e301b!1m5!1m1!1s0x52ae4d7eddc63841:0xac3de061670c8f86!2m2!1d-92.120289!2d46.769755!3e0?hl=en

Aerostich Factory first, 8 S 18th Ave W, Duluth, MN 55806.
Then off to Castle Danger in Two Harbors (45 minutes) for their Anniversary event.
17 – 7th Street
Two Harbors, MN 55616
(218) 834-5800

From there its a 30 minute ride to Camp 61 in Beaver Bay via Hiway 61 or the long way through the Forest Highway 2 (15) to 11 back down to Beaver Bay - One Hour.
http://www.campsixtyone.com/

There are two State Parks prior to Beaver Bay, Split Rock and Gooseberry Falls and one past it for camping if you are so inclined, Tettegouche. Note: State Parks fill early.
Lax Lake campground and cabins, 10 min. from Beaver Bay looks nice and highly rated.
http://www.laxlakeresort.com/pb/wp_df0376c0/wp_df0376c0.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=campgrounds+near+beaver+bay+mn&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS758US758&oq=camping+near+beaver+bay&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.26734j0j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

They only have 8 rooms at  Camp 61 and a large Bunk House with two day min. stay so get your reservations in early!
Keep an eye on this thread for any additional information.
Cheers!