• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Vintage Roadracing in South Carolina for St. Pat's Weekend 2023

Uncle Vern

Venue is Carolina Motorsports Park near Camden, SC.
https://carolinamotorsportspark.com/

I am riding to this track on Saturday to cheer for a neighbor's daughter and her fiancé, who campaign an HD 45 and a BMW sidecar racer with this organization, the AHRMA
https://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/event/ahrma-american-historic-racing-motorcycle-association/

Wristbands are $20/30/35 for 1-3 days. Tent camping free.

I have never been, although my neighbor rents an RV spot every year. I thought I would check out the vibe and see if there is enough interest here to make it a COG event for 2024. It's about 2 1/2 hrs from me but I could host if I take a couple days off work. There are concessions on-site, but if members want to pool their cash we could provide food or even rent a trackside RV spot. All depends on interest.

I plan to ride up Saturday, weather permitting, and maybe camp overnite. Anybody else?

This was a whole lot of fun! I was delayed by rain Saturday AM, but made it to the track in time to set up my tent and cot before dark, then make a quick run into nearby Kershaw for Bojangles chicken and a cold six-pack. Temps in the 50s and windy, so leaving the cooler at home proved wise. I was glad for the heavier sleeping bag and wool blanket I brought, as I later found it dropped to 28F overnite.

I was camped next to the fence between turns 2-3, across the road from the concession stand, so after watching some of the morning practice, I wandered over and had a nice breakfast sandwich. The owner, Mario, was up late tending BBQ on an outdoor cooker, but I missed my chance to try that. Rats!

I had fun wandering around looking at all the eye candy on display. I am trying out a new camera and will try to post some photos later. I also checked out various turns for viewing and found them all pretty good. Next year I will bring binoculars and a tripod for the camera. I found my friends and watched both of the races they were in. I bought a T-shirt and chatted with some of the racers while taking pictures.

Now, the paddock is to one side of the track and there are lots of woods on the property, so some turns aren't visible to spectators. Restroom facilities were clean and well-supplied, but very limited. Two restroom buildings -- one had two showers in it. No port-o-johns anywhere. If I was going to host a rally here, I might want to look into renting a private port-o, as I have seen clubs do at big car shows and such. If an attending member had a camper, that might make things easier. Or I might be able to borrow or rent one.

Fires are allowed, but only if contained and off the ground. There are groceries, beer and fast food in Kershaw. Nicer restaurants and hotels are 15 miles away in Camden. There is also a fun nearby road, SC 97, that runs down the near side of Lake Wateree between Camden and Great Falls.

So I will put up pics when I can. I am going back next year, probably taking Friday off work. If we can get six members interested, I will look into the price of creature comforts.

This is a test. If it works, it will show my friends Steve and Morgan on their BMW sidecar racer.

DSCN6109.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, that worked! Look for more photos from the races soon. I also have photos and more details of my state park adventures for those following that thread.

A these-days-rare Triton; a Triumph engine in a Norton Featherbed frame, widely thought of as the best racing frame of its day (which unfortunately came and went with the Beatles)

1680738592424.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice pictures,
I’d like to attend this, but I’m in Ohio.
You do have me thinking about going to AMA Vintage Days again this year…at Mid Ohio Race course, Lexington Ohio. It’s huge, and kinda crazy.
They race everything. Road, motocross, hair scrambles, trials, pit bikes.

I’d like to attend this, but I’m in Ohio.
You do have me thinking about going to AMA Vintage Days again this year…at Mid Ohio Race course, Lexington Ohio. It’s huge, and kinda crazy.
They race everything. Road, motocross, hair scrambles, trials, pit bikes.

We have ABSOLUTELY NO BARRIERS AT THE SC STATE LINE stopping our northern brethren and sistren from visiting or even (shudder) moving to the best state in the USA. I'm talking about Southern-style Spring (windy, 25-65 degrees, no snow) 2024.

I already have it on my 2024 calendar; I'm just trying to see if COGdom is interested in a camping/watch racing weekend...

Last edited:
SERIOUS GO KARTS were also on hand to practice at the CMP top-notch paved, lighted serpentine facility. Yes, there is a cylinder on either side of the driver. No, I have no idea how it works. The other Karts only had one...1680745776683.jpeg

Most of those motors are Italian built. The "open" motors are 135cc rotory valve, methanol burning, 15000rpm monsters. Close to 40 hp. The twin you show could be 100cc, you can't really tell by looking. I still have one, just freshly rebuilt in 1987! It's a cheater at 150cc with twin 34mm Mikuni pumper carbs. The smell of alcohol and 2 cycle oil is unforgettable.

Thanks for all the pictures, that's good stuff.