• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Volcano Ride is Aug 11

Wow, this is the 15th year of the event and you haven't done it yet?  :-[
Whaddayawaitingfor!  :mad:
Done it? Do it this year, this route will never, never be same-ol.  >:D

Russ said:
and I've got to work that weekend....  dang...

Any time I think my job lacks intellectual challenges, statements like this make me appreciate working banker's hours.  I think I'll go for a ride that weekend. :motonoises:

As usual this is a 'ride your own pace ride'  ;)
We have a map with turns identified. This way we don't have to stop at turns for everybody or wonder if they went their own way.
During brekie we talk about stops including fuel and lunch in Bingen on the gorge.
I am heading off Thurs the 2nd for an 8 day adv ride returning the 10th. Getting back in the saddle the next day for this ride. I will suffer but somebody has to do it.  :great:

I'm a tentative yes at this point. I have duty the day prior so I have to finagle some details and drive like the wind to get there that early.

Partrick,

Pulling for you to make it!  :character0029:

Patrick said:
I'm a tentative yes at this point. I have duty the day prior so I have to finagle some details and drive like the wind to get there that early.

Just don't follow the retired submariner's example and try too hard on US 12.  He got written invitations to the state fundraiser.

The restaurant is in 'downtown' Randle WA.
The middle section of  FR 23 back to Randle has 13 miles of gravel road, not recommended on a street bike.
We do take FR23 north from Trout Lake and it segues onto FR 90, then FR 25 back to Randle. At that point entering 90 the re enginneered road has a right turn to stay on FR23 so their should be no confusion, don't take the right turn.
I did the whole FR23 a few weeks ago on the KLR and their was plenty of loose gravel sections. 10 yrs ago it was 16 mi gravel and did it on the Connie as was not sure of the length, won't do that again.

Patrick said:

Close Patrick.
Not 141 but east from lunch in Bingen, toward Lyle, then north on 142, the lower Klickitat. Up on top then left toward Glendale along the upper Klickitat Canyon which is a spectacular twisty route. To Trout Lake where the Berry Cafe is.

Damn this ride sounds good and I've been meaning to do it but the 3hr trip to the meetup at 5am is really holding me back... I'll have to ponder this one a bit longer.  :-\

I'm not gonna make it. I recently had to give my gas money to Murphs to fix a right footpeg bracket that had a hairline fracture. It didn't like the jostling of a long dirt road and came apart.

Have a great ride, hopefully next year!

No excuses!  Just wish you all could make it.
I just got off the KLR two hrs ago after 9 days (camped 8 nights) 3300 mi    :motonoises:  up to Harrison Lake, Hyder AK, Dease Lake/Telegraph Creek (Cassiar hwy all paved now) , Watson Lake Yukon and looping back over hwy 97.
See ya  tomorry  at 8 for brekie  :coffee2:  in Randle!  Clutch out @ 9 AM.

It was a small crowd, but this year that seems to be the norm.  We made it up to Windy Ridge, then back down to FS 25 and beyond.  We had a good ride, ate a great lunch in Bingen, had some more good riding, then ended the day with a slow crawl into Randle.  Who's coming next year?

We had a great ride with cooler temps riding to Randle and up to Windy ridge at the north Mt St Helens viewpoint. The road is demanding in the twists/turns and elevation changes. It heated up quickly after and by the time we were in the Columbia Gorge after descending on the Wind River road it was hot in Bingen,  good lunch as usual  at Los Reyes restaurant in Bingen.
  Blistering temps riding up the Klickitat hwy 142 after lunch then cooling off a bit after rising up to the plateau and cooling off more riding near Mt Adams and over the Pacific Crest Trail crossing.

Bob and Jennie at Windy Ridge Mt St Helens
2377792930033639341S500x500Q85.jpg

2928652000033639341S500x500Q85.jpg

Ash and lahar (mudflows) fields background
2233886380033639341S500x500Q85.jpg

Man with his girl and dog out in the '71 VW van, my memories of '65 camper VW van in the '70's
2867535020033639341S500x500Q85.jpg

Charlie Gary NWAD
2404440260033639341S500x500Q85.jpg

View from south at McClelland Viewpoint, Bob, Jenny, Terry, Charlie
2348565280033639341S500x500Q85.jpg

Lunch in Bingen WA, WA hwy14
2234559550033639341S500x500Q85.jpg

Rest stop in Trout Lake WA at old Berry Cafe
2410244410033639341S500x500Q85.jpg

This photo display isn't complete without one of the guy who put the whole thing together.

Dan Paulsen, AAD Extraordinaire.  :pDT_Armataz_01_37:

DSC07714.jpg