• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Volcano Ride?

Workin on it!
Was HOPING to do the old route but the road report for FR25 north of Randle looks poor conditions.

7/1/2021: Road is open. ALERT - Drive slowly and carefully on the road, dips and potholes present. Motorcycles use extreme caution.

Last edited:
Workin on it!
Was HOPING to do the old route but the road report for FR25 north of Randle looks poor conditions.

7/1/2021: Road is open. ALERT - Drive slowly and carefully on the road, dips and potholes present. Motorcycles use extreme caution.
Every time I check out 25 it's worse than the last time I was there.

FR25 is tough to ride. It's probably the worst "paved" road I've ever ridden.
Try Utah 128 into Moab sometime. That road is so bad Tim Rieb and I rode below the 35 mph speed limit most of the way. It did make it easier to take in the amazing scenery along the Colorado River, though.

Heavy rain left sand where ever the rain water ran across the road with no rhyme or reason. Motor homes that just didn't go very fast either. With the sand one just didn't want to push it. Double yellow lines the whole time we were on it with plenty of turns you simply could not see far enough ahead to make a reasonably safe pass. Mother nature made for great scenery!!! The rafters had some nice bikini's as a bonus too. We probably lost some time on Utah 128 but it was well worth it.

Anybody know any good roads in the Mt. St. Helens area? That's a bit beyond my normal range, and aside from WA 504,505 and Tower Rd I'm coming up short. I don't have a very good history of creating ride routes other than those three roads, so I'm open to suggestions for the Volcano Ride.

Charlie,
when is the volcano ride? have you googled any paved routes? i tried. i can't tell if this loop is paved or not. anyone know?

-tdbru

Charlie,
when is the volcano ride? have you googled any paved routes? i tried. i can't tell if this loop is paved or not. anyone know?

-tdbru
Brian,
I'm shooting for August 7th. The Windy Ridge Loop involves FS 25, which used to be the route for the Volcano Ride before road conditions got too bad to ride that road. The last time I was on it, my cooler was bounced out of the bungee cords and off the back seat twice due to frost heaves. The only way to safely make that part of the journey would be at about 20 mph.

Charlie and I will arrive at the Little Crane restaurant Mon at 9AM for brekie, look at maps and preride.
Join us.

Yesterday Dan and I went out and explored some great roads, and a couple that weren't first choice for those who don't like unpaved roads. I've created an after-lunch route out of Castle Rock that takes us north and a little bit west, eventually ending up in Montesano.

Well, darn Dan - that makes two weekends in a row that I miss seeing The Blue Whale. But this time its on me - I can't make it (yes, the ride must yield to my youngest granddaughter's birthday celebration.)

Hopefully we'll ride again soon.

Andy