• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Volthttps://www.allelectronics.com/index.php?page=seek&id%5Bm%5D=pattern&idmeter

DC Concours said:
does this stay plugged in to your battery at all times.

unless you run it on a relay, pretty much...

never had much use for one, but...
if you go that route, maybe you would want to "mod" it, find a plastic 'bubble' like container that crews/nuts/washers, etc., comes in from the wall rack display, fill it up with silicone sealer, or epoxy, and press the unit into it to seal everything up and make the back waterproof... because it clearly isn't as it stands.. and twist the red and yellow wires together and run it directly to the battery THRU a switched relay, actuated by a switched circuit on the bike (key on/key off), or just wire it to the switched circuit itself..(but then you would see voltage drops/changes caused by turn signals, lights,engine rev's, etc. maybe..)

I have seen batteries come with a small built in digital volt meters on them now. But there is no real use of those anyway. Never have I checked volts in a battery. If a battery is a few years old and won't recharge I just get a new one.

DC Concours said:
I have seen batteries come with a small built in digital volt meters on them now. But there is no real use of those anyway. Never have I checked volts in a battery. If a battery is a few years old and won't recharge I just get a new one.

another idea...
you could run it right to the battery, but also just wire in a waterproof "momentary" DPST push button switch, right next to the display... and waterproof the connections on it also... now that would be the right idea... as 99.9999% of it's life it really just can sit there 'Until asked"... I hate having a red glaring extra light to constantly pull my attention from looking at the road... and I'm sure if it wa "on" all the time, it would make any normal person "OCD" for a month.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

hey $4...  :great: :great:

Yes it's not prefect. But with a bit of effort it can be made to work.
I like volt meters because it allows me to watch the alternator and
rectifier work. It's easy to see if the battery and it's cables are working
the way I want them to.

MAN OF BLUES said:
another idea...
you could run it right to the battery, but also just wire in a waterproof "momentary" DPST push button switch, right next to the display... and waterproof the connections on it also... now that would be the right idea... as 99.9999% of it's life it really just can sit there 'Until asked"... I hate having a red glaring extra light to constantly pull my attention from looking at the road... and I'm sure if it wa "on" all the time, it would make any normal person "OCD" for a month.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

hey $4...  :great: :great:

I like that Idea. I got one of these, in white, and like it: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-Motorcycle-Digital-LED-Display-Voltage-Volt-Gauge-Voltmeter-Panel-Meter-AS/292883292132?hash=item4431345fe4:m:m0z_uOxJ_sWgWLCgvktNnlw

Having the momentary switch would be nice, so it's not always on, just press the button to see the voltage. I guess the only issue is you wouldn't see a voltage drop if there was a problem until you noticed something else and pushed the button - with it always on, you'd likely see a drop while riding and realize there was a problem.

I currently have the red wire going to the ignition box under the seat going to a relay, which then switches on power from the (always on) powered accessory lead on that same batch of wiring, running up to the dash (with a split for a cigarette lighter plug under the left pocket for the USB power for the GPS, and one split for a future USB charging plug), and to the display. It does seem to read a little lower voltage, though, than I get at the battery. Maybe if I took power directly from the battery (instead of the accessory wire) to the relay it would have less voltage drop?

I have use a ,BlueFire Waterproof 5V/2.1A Dual USB Charger Socket Motorcycle handle bar clamping item.
It has a blue voltmeter and lite on/off switch. Got it off "Amazon.com" for $19.99
It seem to be working well and serving my needs on my KLR.
Sorry I can't provide an more description.

RWulf said:
I have use a ,BlueFire Waterproof 5V/2.1A Dual USB Charger Socket Motorcycle handle bar clamping item.
It has a blue voltmeter and lite on/off switch. Got it off "Amazon.com" for $19.99
It seem to be working well and serving my needs on my KLR.
Sorry I can't provide an more description.
This?
https://www.amazon.com/BlueFire-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Cigarette/dp/B075D8C565
611Jx-ISFzL._SL1500_.jpg