• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wanted Front left Brake Caliper

Kengatorfan1

Bicycle
My front left brake was dragging so Bled it out and found out that wasn't the problem, the larger of the two pistons had half the rubber seal out of place.  Anybody know of someone parting out their bike that I could buy the assembly off of?  99 ZG1000

You can get a rebuild kit for $21.00 as long as the piston is in good shape.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=229

For sure, buying a used caliper is going to yield the same "iffy" seals. Rebuild them yourself and you'll know that everything is fresh and ready for many more miles. Also, periodic thorough cleaning will extend the lift of the new seals...

Rebuilding a caliper is pretty easy, I just did both of mine this summer. Same thing, both of them had blown out the outer seal (but I still had some braking because the inner seal was intact). You only need the rebuild kit, clean brake fluid and possibly some fine emery cloth to polish the piston.
I learned how by reading up on this, and then asking a few questions:

http://www.dansmc.com/hydraulics.htm

Perfect opportunity to buy some iffy seal 4 pots of ebay. And score up some brackets. Get some new pads to go with them. Then rebuild them when the time comes. Throw your existing 2 pots in a box in the far depths of the garage.

Future maintenance:
Clean the outer piston surface off when replacing pads.
I push the piston out slightly and use a plastic wire brush and scotch brite pad in the tight area.
Then when you push the piston back in for the thicker pads you are less likely top push dirt into the seals.
That and change fluid periodically.