• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Washing my jackets ?.

FTB530

I need to wash my Klim jackets and wondering who has done it, one jacket has leather on the elbows and I’m not th8nking that will be good to toss in the washing machine! Who has done it ?

I need to wash my Klim jackets and wondering who has done it, one jacket has leather on the elbows and I’m not th8nking that will be good to toss in the washing machine! Who has done it ?
I would expect a care instructions tag is sewn somewhere inside the jacket, on a seam usually. The provides instructions should give you accurate information. Let us know what you find?

Alternatively, go to Klim’s website and find the care for guidance there.

Have always used NikWax products for motorcycle gear and hunting clothing. Many do use a washing machine.....I've used a large styro cooler for a wash tub and hung outside to dry. Also washed tents with Nikwax stuff

Have always used NikWax products for motorcycle gear and hunting clothing. Many do use a washing machine.....I've used a large styro cooler for a wash tub and hung outside to dry. Also washed tents with Nikwax
Bathtub works great for hand wash only articles. Just wash tub out completely to prevent any slips after wash and treatment.

Also with NikWax follow the instructions and wear gloves to prevent water proofing your hands - ask how I know!!

I have the same or similar Klim jacket as does my wife. The washer & dryer is fine, I use the NixWax products. It's a process of 2 wash's, 1 is a wash only & 1 is a repellent. The dryer reactivates the ability to repel water.

Mine get done 2 - 3 times a year & no issues. Klim & Areostich both recommend this method.

Attachments

• 20210405_075625.jpg
    20210405_075625.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 148
I would expect a care instructions tag is sewn somewhere inside the jacket, on a seam usually. The provides instructions should give you accurate information. Let us know what you find?

Alternatively, go to Klim’s website and find the care for guidance there.
Doesn't say anything about my concern about the leather, who would toss a leather jacket in a washing machine?

I have the same or similar Klim jacket as does my wife. The washer & dryer is fine, I use the NixWax products. It's a process of 2 wash's, 1 is a wash only & 1 is a repellent. The dryer reactivates the ability to repel water.

Mine get done 2 - 3 times a year & no issues. Klim & Areostich both recommend this method.
Well i think i am going to do it and hope for the best, i have bought the revive ex cleaner and DWR, ill give it a try!

Jacket #1 has been cleaned and looks a lot better'
I bet it will feel better too - After treatment the breathability and water repellency always make me ask myself, “why don’t I do this more often”.

Cliff I see washes / treats his gear a number of times per year 👏 I have at the least started treating gear annually.

Also - use the proper cleaner - once my gear got washed in Tide, intention was nice but quickly pores filled with dirt and first real rain jacket weighed a ton from absorbing water.... 👎

I washed a mesh jacket in the tub once and hung it out to dry. It did look better afterwards. Got rid of bug stuff.

I wash my gear a couple times a year. Take the pads out and put it in. I use a combination of laundry detergent, dishwashing soap and Oxyclean. The dishwashing soap is designed to cut grease.

One of the "secrets", is to do an extra rinse cycle. The carpet cleaner guys told me the reason the carpet turns black is because the soap isn't rinsed out of it. The remaining soap does just like it is designed to do and grabs onto the dirt. So do the same with the riding gear.

I then hang it up to dry. Once dry, I spray it with a waterproofing spray. Cost about $8.

Nikwax is good. This is just another method.

Chris

I wash my gear a couple times a year. Take the pads out and put it in. I use a combination of laundry detergent, dishwashing soap and Oxyclean. The dishwashing soap is designed to cut grease.

One of the "secrets", is to do an extra rinse cycle. The carpet cleaner guys told me the reason the carpet turns black is because the soap isn't rinsed out of it. The remaining soap does just like it is designed to do and grabs onto the dirt. So do the same with the riding gear.

I then hang it up to dry. Once dry, I spray it with a waterproofing spray. Cost about $8.

Nikwax is good. This is just another method.

Chris
One of the jackets turned out clean and i used Revivex cleaner and DWR.

A lot of people think Nikwax is the only answer. There's actually many. :)

What I wish, is that after washing the jacket, I could re-dye the hi-vis yellow portions.

Chris

A lot of people think Nikwax is the only answer. There's actually many. :)

What I wish, is that after washing the jacket, I could re-dye the hi-vis yellow portions.

Chris
I do believe the chemicals in the NikWax and other purpose made products are supposed to help protect from fading - still though after years in the sun, wind, rain, road grime, hot / cold - comes down to its a colored fabric that fades over time..

Wayne