• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Waukon Iowa Camp/Ride - May 14-16th

Cobber

Cobber
It seems fitting on the first day of spring to announce the "First" organized COG camp/ride event in Iowa for years -maybe ever I don't know!
When - May 14-16th, Where - Waukon, Iowa - City Park Campground - Waukon is located in the NE part of the state - if you are so inclined you can easily touch 4 states of riding from here. Since this is first time for the event think "Gathering on the Green" type of event...
Further details can be found on COG calendar event page https://concours.org/event-4092048

Scott,
Not necessarily registered, but I have a spot(thanks). Looking forward to getting the bag and tent out. We need to ride up to Hokah, MN to see the biggest water fall I know of in the area. Maybe stop in Trempeleau, WI to see "The House with the Rock"
There are a lot of nice roads in the Tri-State area. Looking forward to what will be a excellent event.

Last edited:
I'm in Scott. Thanks for doing this one for us. I'm looking forward to getting the season off to a great beginning. OK folks time to get registered.

I'm in too Scott. Thanks for organizing this.

Yes, it has been a while since we've done this in IA. Just an FYI, there was a similar event in 2014 in Elkader (hosted by yours truly) and another many years prior in the Yellow River Forest.

I'm in too Scott. Thanks for organizing this.

Yes, it has been a while since we've done this in IA. Just an FYI, there was a similar event in 2014 in Elkader (hosted by yours truly) and another many years prior in the Yellow River Forest.
There it is - Mr. Roland keeping me honest. -thank you. I did have a question mark there but "I" should have remembered the Elkader event - I attended it LOL - must be getting old timers disease. Thanks for signing up.

I'm in. I have a new tent arriving Thursday, and this sounds like a perfect way to see if it works.

This is a great area to ride. So many options in the tri state area to enjoy. Thanks for setting this up, Scott.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

I'm in. I have a new tent arriving Thursday, and this sounds like a perfect way to see if it works.

This is a great area to ride. So many options in the tri state area to enjoy. Thanks for setting this up, Scott.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Glad you got in Jim, seems to be a little sporadic on whether the system lets you register right away or makes ya work for it. Not sure what the hiccup is tho.

It took two days to register. Everything locked up on the payment screen during the first attempts.. Tried three times and quit. Went in the next day and everything worked on the first try. I am now officially in.

I used to stay summers in Waukon, WA with my grandparents, Pop. 12, two of those dogs, back in the early 70's...less today. Your ride sounds fun.

Gittin' down to the wire. If your thinking but not sure throw out a post so we can sway your thoughts!

Gittin' down to the wire. If your thinking but not sure throw out a post so we can sway your thoughts!
Ha,ha. If been thinking...when I lived in Nebraska there really wasn't any rallies near by but now that I moved to the Ozarks there are a couple of new rallies in Iowa and Wisconsin that would have been around 400 miles but now north of 600+ miles.
I've been tossing this one around for awhile. I have a trip planned to see the grandkids the week before so it would be a quick turnaround.
Scott did a great job last year putting this together as a trial run. And by looking at the registration, it is a great group of guys to hangout with this year, soo there's my thoughts.
I'll probably be signing up in the next couple of days after taking care of some business around home.
Either way if anyone else is on the fence, this is a good rally with a great group of guys!

Ride focused and be safe
Dale

I guess that's what I get for not paying attention- I had no idea this was going on! Strange coincidence, however, that I'm booked to camp with my sister and hers on Friday night at Great River Bluffs State Park, about an hour north. Stranger yet, Saturday I had planned a trip down the Mississippi then east into Kentucky as a 4 or 5 day shakedown for my big trip this year, which will be a month or so camping off the bike.
I'd love to join you guys Saturday evening if I could (I like lasagna), but as all this is still kind of iffy (my dad's health), so I'm hesitant to register. If I show up, I already know I have a place to pitch the tent.
Hope to see you guys the 15th.
Cafefill

I guess that's what I get for not paying attention- I had no idea this was going on! Strange coincidence, however, that I'm booked to camp with my sister and hers on Friday night at Great River Bluffs State Park, about an hour north. Stranger yet, Saturday I had planned a trip down the Mississippi then east into Kentucky as a 4 or 5 day shakedown for my big trip this year, which will be a month or so camping off the bike.
I'd love to join you guys Saturday evening if I could (I like lasagna), but as all this is still kind of iffy (my dad's health), so I'm hesitant to register. If I show up, I already know I have a place to pitch the tent.
Hope to see you guys the 15th.
Cafefill
Always welcome whatever time you can make it. Family first priority with me also!

Is anyone showing up on Thursday ?
It looks like this will be a go for us. We will be bringing the RV. Look forward to seeing everyone.

Last edited:
Is anyone showing up on Thursday ?
It looks like this will be a go for us. We will be bringing the RV. Look forward to seeing everyone.
I will be arriving late afternoon Thursday, and Kim had mentioned he would be there then also, I think Dan may be arriving thursday as well.

shaping up to be a nice sized group. See ya there.

There's a chance I may arrive on Thursday afternoon. Things are still flexible for another week. No doctor appointments until the following week, so no chemo will be added for now. I'm really looking forward to this event. My brain needs a distraction, and this is the group that can provide it.

Time to ride, boys and girls. Let's do this.

Looks like a nice turnout, and fittingly so.
I plan on being there mid-afternoon Thursday, to get the "pavilion" set up. Hope some of you can get there on Thursday also. Weather is looking fairly good for this.

I'll be there Thursday afternoon to help. Should be there before 3:00 PM. Most things are packed already.

Scott, wanted to thank you and Lisa for doing a kick-azz job hosting this event. Food was tremendous, and the COG turnout out fabulous.
Thanks for the superb effort.

I'll eagerly add my thanks as well. Can you believe more than a dozen people came to IOWA for a first-time event? Plus those of us who were already IN Iowa! I'm sure no one was disappointed.

It was great to see so many of my NC Area brethren after a year in isolation.

I had never heard of, much less eaten, Dutch oven lasagna. I may have to go buy a Dutch oven.

Scott and Lisa demonstrated the true giving spirit of COG. In attendance were past and current ADs, AADs, National, regional and local rally-meisters (you know who you are.) I appreciate you all.

Jerry
COG member for 28+ years, and not going anywhere

Spectacular event. Thank you to Scott & Lisa for the marvelous food. Great to see the new and old faces.
Travel safe my friends.

As mentioned this was a very enjoyable event. A wonderfully relaxed pace, nice campground, great to ride around the tri-state area roads, good food and better company. Scott and Lisa thanks for sharing your time and energy to kick off the riding season for each of us.

Thank You all for the compliments and support. My first official time of hosting a COG event and it went off without any surprises -yay.
Enjoyed seeing all of you and the smiles and laughter at camp makes it all worthwhile.

The plus is Lisa says that wasn't so bad LOL
special thanks to the Kerkow's (nomads) backing us up on a few supplies, Dan & Kim for the "pavillion", and Gary for the incidentals supply.

Thanks again to Scott and Lisa for hosting an excellent event. This weekend was fantastic on so many levels. Great campsite, excellent and plentiful foods, great riding and the best group of folks to spend time with. It was nice to experience normal COG life again. It was something I needed to restore some mental balance. Ok, some of you will say I've never had any mental balance. I'm sure my wonderful bride will agree with that thought.

I agree with all the positive comments everyone has said. It was so nice to see everyone and feel alive again. I haven't had this much fun riding for what seems like a long time. I hope to see everyone at more events this summer.

Looking forward to next year's Iowa Camping Rally.

Fantastic event with even better hosts. Scott and Lisa put on an amazing spread and didn't even get to ride.
A huge THANK YOU to all that helped make this happen. Over 930 miles door to door. Cheers !