• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Weather on Angeles Crest Hwy?

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
Happy New Year SWCOG!

So what times of the year is Angeles Crest ride-able?

Hi C'man! I have ridden on Angeles Crest Highway probably in every month of the year. But as you probably know, the winter can be cold even here in Southern California so I rarely ride the mountains in the winter. So if you want to be pretty sure that you can ride come in the Spring, Summer or Fall. Early spring and late fall can be trouble too. Hopefully I gave you a very clear answer!! LOL! 

Just come out and we'll ride it!!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Thanks Rusty!

An old college friend of mine from back east is shipping his bike out to Pahrump.  He has never ridden the West and I have volunteered to be the tour guide.  He is coming out in mid-late April, so your answer helps.  He's from Vermont and can handle cold, I'm just trying to avoid snow.  I'm guessing the weather will be fine in mid-April.  We are looking at 300-400 mile days.

I've never ridden that area before.  I'm thinking:

- First day is Pahrump->Death Valley->Lake Isabella->Pasadena/Glendale (closest motels to Flintridge?) - 400 miles.
- Second day is Angeles Crest, Big Bear then winding down through the mountains (38, 243, 74) to Julian - 300 miles.
Then over to AZ, as a couple of the group are from Tucson, hitting up Devils Highway before we get back to Tucson.

Depending on plans, maybe you could join us for whatever portion of that second day you wish.  That second day will probably be a Tuesday.

Should be good in mid April and I would love to ride with you and your group! We may even have a few others that would like to join you if you are ok with that. I promise great weather!!  :)

:motonoises:    :motonoises:  :great:

It could work out to hook up for a ride, since we will be starting that 2nd day at Flintridge.  There will be me and 3 others.  We'll see how the planning goes.

Any good lunch spots along the way?

The Grizzly Café in Wrightwood is where we usually hang out for lunch...along the way we will stop at Newcomb's Ranch which is biker hangout too.  We will have fun!
:)

Ooohhhh.... You mind a tag along? Sounds like some awesome rides. I have yet to do Angeles Crest, but can attest to how amazing Big Bear and Crestline are. Probably one of my favorite rides (now I'm wondering why I've only done it once...)

The Doctor said:
Ooohhhh.... You mind a tag along? Sounds like some awesome rides. I have yet to do Angeles Crest, but can attest to how amazing Big Bear and Crestline are. Probably one of my favorite rides (now I'm wondering why I've only done it once...)
Old Man on a Connie said:
Hey Share. Gimme some love.

Yea Come on out when we do this ride! You will love it!!

Ok so now SR-2 is closed because of mudslides.  How long do these things take to clean up?  A month?  More?

Hi C'man, Are you still planning on riding Angeles Crest Highway in the coming weeks? I was in Wrightwood yesterday and there is still a lot of snow in the upper elevations. There is also two current closures on the road. I think one of them you can take a detour around but the other stops you from reaching Wrightwood from La Canada/Flintridge. You can travel on Angeles Crest to Palmdale and that is a good road but the main route will be closed in two parts for some time. Talk to you again soon with any changes.

Russ

Thanks Rusty!

I've been following the closures carefully myself.  My friend and I will be coming through the week of 4/22.  Thanks for the update on Palmdale, as that's included in our route down to Pasadena on Monday 4/22.  Slides have also closed CA-243 (Palm to Pines), so we will have to go around that as well.  Oh well.

Mon 4/22:  across Death Valley, through Lake Isabella, down towards Bakersfield, cut back east on 58, then down through Palmdale and the mountains down to Pasadena.

Tue 4/23:  east on the freeway, then up into the mountains on CA-18, through Big Bear, swinging around and south on CA-38.  Then through Palm Desert and on CA-74, to CA-371, to CA-79, to CA-76, then up to Palomar.  Then back down to Julian for the night.

Next day over to Prescott.  Next day to Alpine.  Next day down Devil's Highway and back to Prescott.  Next day back home.

Good Morning! I might be able to ride with you guys on Tuesday. I could meet you somewhere in the beginning on Highway 18 or anywhere really and travel with you close to Julian and I will head home from there. Would you like some company? Looks like a great trip that you will have!! I hope you have super weather that week!

Sure, Rusty, come along!

Day 2 Route

Pasadena east to CA-18 via the 210 (alas…)
- CA-18 up into the mountains, gas in Running Springs (Valero?)
- CA-18 through Big Bear to CA-38
- South on CA-38 winding down to I-10
- I-10 West to CA-111 to Palm Springs (gas, Shell?) lunch here
- CA-111 to CA-74 south to CA-371
- CA-371 to Anza for gas (Chevron?)
- CA-371 to CA-79 to CA-76 and up to Palomar
- Palomar to Julian

https://goo.gl/maps/LDhPDV6TRLx

Where would you think to meet up?  Just the Valero?

Yeah first time riding the mountains in SoCal for me.  Unfortunate about the mudslides but it is what it is.

ETA:  route update.

https://goo.gl/maps/sbtkzK4dfcH2

Hi C'man! How was the trip with your friends? I think the weather was pretty good. Look forward to hearing all about it!