• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Webinar: Essential GPS and Basecamp Skills

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
Weekly Zoom Webinars on THU evenings 8PM - 9PM eastern beginning January 13.

We will cover what topics we can in one hour with Q&A, and continue where we leave off next session.

An email reminder is sent to registrants 2 days before each session with the Zoom link. Can’t find the email? Check your email spam folder.

I missed tonight's webinar because I signed up this morning. I will try to be on it next Thursday. It's great that you are putting this together for all of us to improve our GPS skills. :) (y)

Sorry I missed tonight's session. I totally spaced the EST when I am in PST. I will be there next week for sure. Thanks.

Weekly Zoom Webinars on THU evenings 8PM - 9PM eastern beginning January 13.

We will cover what topics we can in one hour with Q&A, and continue where we leave off next session.

An email reminder is sent to registrants 2 days before each session with the Zoom link. Can’t find the email? Check your email spam folder.
Folks at an animal hospital last night and missed the kickoff. Very interested in the schooling, enhancing what I already know which is likely just scratching the surface.

I think this was asked before, however, are the sessions recorded and posted somewhere?

Thanks all!

I too missed it, I was on a trip and trying to watch on my phone at the motel but had spotty wifi, I got in I think but when I wasn't hearing anything I left and tried one more time with the same results. I then just signed off. I have watched the recording however, and I thank you guys for recording it. Next session I'll be on my laptop at home and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for doing this guys!

I'll submit my mount photos later because I'm still refining my system.

PS. If you are still tabulating the polling data (there was a mention of it in the recording but the recording started after the actual polling) I have two motorcycle Garmin ZUMO GPS units, an XT and a 665. I also occasionally use the phone, I recommend the "Car Home Ultra" App (Android only I think) if you use your phone either on the bike or in the car. It is like a central place to keep access to all your on the road apps {WAZE, Gas Buddy, Google Maps, Bubbler GPS New, Radarbot etc.} with large buttons to go from one app to the other. It was recommended to me by Mark Wojcik and I'm still very grateful for that time he took to show it to me out in the parking lot.

Thanks for posting the recording of the first session, I just had a chance to watch it. I will see you all this Thursday.

During last night's discussion (Webinar 2) some discussion was made by Steve R. about never having something stolen from his bike and he wondered about the logic of buying a $200.00 locking mount for a $399.00 GPS. Good points on probability and consideration on where one should spend their money for the most return on their dollar. I have no problem with any of his thoughts on that, however I thought I'd post some other considerations here so as not to clutter the airwaves during the Webinar.

I have locking (admittedly overpriced) Touratech mounts on both of my GPS units and it is nice to leave the GPS powered up and ready to go when one stops for lunch (out of bike sight) or a bathroom break at a busy fueling station. I also leave them on the bike overnight at the motel, although they are out of sight under a cover. In daily use or even a short weekend ride to eat, just slipping the gps unit into a jacket pocket when leaving the bike makes sense to me. However, on a two or three week trip (or for me even a 5 day trip) my cases are already packed full and there is other stuff I need to secure such as the radar detector and tank bag. I slip the radar detector into a pocket, my cell phone in another and I have to put a small cable lock through the zipper rings of my tank bag just to keep a grab and go thief from taking it. Not having to secure the GPS is just one less thing I have to do before going in and losing sight of the bike.
It's not just the value of the GPS at stake should it go missing, it's almost the whole value of the trip. To me it's all the roads that I had planned to travel on. If the gps is gone I've lost all the routes I've made which were the largest reason for the trip and dictated what towns I would stay in etc. Yes I could just fall back on my Butler map and make a cheat sheet every night of the next day's roads, but then not only is my evening relaxation time filled up with more work but all the time I spent at home making routes and loading them into the GPS is wasted as well. Normally I like to to let the GPS handle the navigation so I can enjoy the ride and the views, however if the GPS is gone and I have to concentrate more on my cheat sheet and navigation then the whole flavor of the trip is changed. To me, any security measures one uses on a trip is like travel insurance that you only have to pay for once but you get the benefit of on every trip.
What I'm trying to say here, is that I think in addition to the $ value of the device or apparel one is trying to protect, you should consider what the other consequences are if it goes missing. You and your multi-day traveling friends all stop at a locally famous BBQ joint for lunch on a sunny Saturday afternoon, most of you throw your helmet on a foot peg or mirror and drape your armored jackets over the handle bars and go in to eat. While you are inside a pick up truck comes by and the passenger jumps out grabs the best looking jackets and helmets and tosses them into the back of the truck and takes off, all in about 10-20 seconds. The six of you come out 30 minutes later and three of you don't have jackets or helmets anymore, still 200+ miles to go and it's starting to look like rain in your intended direction of travel. A Harley rider comes out and offers you his back up sweat stained do-rag. Suddenly the guy that brought his Hi-Vis gear in and put it on the seat next to him, and the always slow guy that took time to run a cable lock through his jacket sleeve and helmet on the bike don't seem so silly. Sorry, can you tell I was raised in Chicago and had stuff stolen from me as a kid?

So valid points (?) or just my personal hangupso_O , you have my thoughts on secure mounting of a GPS unit and why I spent money on over priced Touratech mounts and locking ram ball mounts.

Anyway back to GPS stuff.

Last edited:
During last night's discussion (Webinar 2) some discussion was made by Steve R. about never having something stolen from his bike and he wondered about the logic of buying a $200.00 locking mount for a $399.00 GPS. Good points on probability and consideration on where one should spend their money for the most return on their dollar. I have no problem with any of his thoughts on that, however I thought I'd post some other considerations here so as not to clutter the airwaves during the Webinar.

I have locking (admittedly overpriced) Touratech mounts on both of my GPS units and it is nice to leave the GPS powered up and ready to go when one stops for lunch (out of bike sight) or a bathroom break at a busy fueling station. I also leave them on the bike overnight at the motel, although they are out of sight under a cover. In daily use or even a short weekend ride to eat, just slipping the gps unit into a jacket pocket when leaving the bike makes sense to me. However, on a two or three week trip (or for me even a 5 day trip) my cases are already packed full and there is other stuff I need to secure such as the radar detector and tank bag. I slip the radar detector into a pocket, my cell phone in another and I have to put a small cable lock through the zipper rings of my tank bag just to keep a grab and go thief from taking it. Not having to secure the GPS is just one less thing I have to do before going in and losing sight of the bike.
It's not just the value of the GPS at stake should it go missing, it's almost the whole value of the trip. To me it's all the roads that I had planned to travel on. If the gps is gone I've lost all the routes I've made which were the largest reason for the trip and dictated what towns I would stay in etc. Yes I could just fall back on my Butler map and make a cheat sheet every night of the next day's roads, but then not only is my evening relaxation time filled up with more work but all the time I spent at home making routes and loading them into the GPS is wasted as well. Normally I like to to let the GPS handle the navigation so I can enjoy the ride and the views, however if the GPS is gone and I have to concentrate more on my cheat sheet and navigation then the whole flavor of the trip is changed. To me, any security measures one uses on a trip is like travel insurance that you only have to pay for once but you get the benefit of on every trip.
What I'm trying to say here, is that I think in addition to the $ value of the device or apparel one is trying to protect, you should consider what the other consequences are if it goes missing. You and your multi-day traveling friends all stop at a locally famous BBQ joint for lunch on a sunny Saturday afternoon, most of you throw your helmet on a foot peg or mirror and drape your armored jackets over the handle bars and go in to eat. While you are inside a pick up truck comes by and the passenger jumps out grabs the best looking jackets and helmets and tosses them into the back of the truck and takes off, all in about 10-20 seconds. The six of you come out 30 minutes later and three of you don't have jackets or helmets anymore, still 200+ miles to go and it's starting to look like rain in your intended direction of travel. A Harley rider comes out and offers you his back up sweat stained do-rag. Suddenly the guy that brought his Hi-Vis gear in and put it on the seat next to him, and the always slow guy that took time to run a cable lock through his jacket sleeve and helmet on the bike don't seem so silly. Sorry, can you tell I was raised in Chicago and had stuff stolen from me as a kid?

So valid points (?) or just my personal hangupso_O , you have my thoughts on secure mounting of a GPS unit and why I spent money on over priced Touratech mounts and locking ram ball mounts.

Anyway back to GPS stuff.
I am so looking forward to this series and echo your thoughts on the TT mounts.

My first Garmin 665 I got just before Johnson City and my buddy won a mount he gave to me. That was heaven not having to take it on and off. WHen my wife bought me the new XT I did not have a second thought about springing for the mount. I don't have much of a problem putting money into the ride to make it how I want it as I ride almost every day. The convenience and security of locking it down once you have the wiring in place and not having to worry about it is really worth it to me.

I agree, no GPS means spoiled trip. I carry a back up Zumo. And I have needed it twice. Not because of theft. They fell off and got run over.😢

Will there be a powerpoint posted for session 2 and future sessions? I can't do the video with my metered internet access.:cry:

Will there be a powerpoint posted for session 2 and future sessions? I can't do the video with my metered internet access.:cry:

Sorry... There was no dedicated powerpoint for this session... Images were screen shared and there was discussion. This is the planned format for most sessions.

I agree, no GPS means spoiled trip. I carry a back up Zumo. And I have needed it twice. Not because of theft. They fell off and got run over.😢
Not sure I can get it off without a key on the Touratech. THe XT mount sent with the unit is not known for being very secure out of the box.. I think I sent mine back in for the improved version. I got tired of the little rubber things to ensure that it stayed in place and attached to the bike. Current set up is easy to see and yet low enough to not be in the way of anything. Added the TPX and heads up remote flasher above the instrument cluster when I upgraded from the 660 to the XT. Never needed the sound because that light in the middle is really hard to miss.77.jpg

My cockpit is quite similar with TPX and heads up remote flasher , phone holder and a Zumo 390 instead of the XT. I dread upgrading to an XT since I have the 390 mounts installed on 4 bikes.

I'm looking forward to ...and yes dreading a bit...the BaseCamp portion of this course. Other than a simple point to point route used for auto travel I have yet to make a motorcycle type route totally in BaseCamp. I have deleted many more unintentional waypoints than I have made intentional ones. Once I have the cursor set to routing, I end up with waypoints all over the place usually in the middle of farm and ranch fields. I'm just terrible at it.
However I am able currently to make routes by cheating. I make the routes in Google Maps and then transfer them to GPS Visualizer where they are converted to a .gpx file that I import into BaseCamp. It's quick and dirty but works fairly well. It does require obtaining an API key from Google but it wasn't that hard to get and so far it's cost me nothing. I think once I've used it 1000 times I'll get charged $2.00 but to be honest reading through Google's legal googly goop is almost as bad for me as trying to make a decent route all in BaseCamp. The .gpx files thus transferred show up as tracks in BaseCamp but it is easy to convert those to routes. Renaming is usually warranted as GPS Visualizer makes the file names long strings of numbers which will have no bearing on the route itself that I can determine. Occasionally there will be an error because of slight mapping differences but I can usually fix that by relocating a routing point a few yards one way or another. Sometimes Google is more up to date on road conditions than Garmin's maps are, so BaseCamp will reroute to a different road because it thinks the road that I selected isn't paved but Google knows it has been paved and has even sent a photo vehicle down it to prove it. I then have to get creative and change the profile to dirt bikes just so I can use the road in my route.

I made most of the routes (with Butch Youngblood's valued assistance) this way for the 2018 COG National, I hope that at least one of those routes can be torn apart by the two Steves in the course to show me how it could have been made better totally in BaseCamp. The work is sufficiently past that I will not be sensitive to valued criticism. It would be great if I can actually make a decent route totally in BaseCamp after this course, and then maybe I'll never have to pay Google that $2.00 :D.

Greatly enjoying the course so far, Thanks Steve(s)! (y)

We are looking forward to improving your efforts Marty. You took the first leap and at least tried and had some success. You are not the first to find an alternative to Basecamp.
I get the sense that Steve Peck knows a lot about routing and Basecamp. Maybe we should have three Steve’s running these sessions?

The next session will cover Garmin express, updating the device firmware and maps. From there we will dig into downloading, installing and updating Basecamp and get into the file management and creation of routes. Along the way will will explain how best to follow the routes and common mistakes.

How does Garmin explore compare to base camp?
I am not an Explore expert. Presently it seems Explore is mainly for adventure GPS devices. It does not create routes that follow roads. It can be used to sync waypoint data between XT and cloud.

GPS Webinar Session 5 recording has been posted: https://concours.org/Library/LibM/#162

@fartymarty suggested I post up a homework assignment, so here it goes.

GPS Webinar Homework 1
  1. Review and know the definitions of Waypoints, Vias/shaping pounts, and Routes, as presented
  2. Practice using the Basecamp Library
    • Create one or more List Folders - see how they can nest in a hiearchy. Rename one folder = Homework
    • Create one or more Lists within the folders. Inside the Homework folder create a List named Homework1
  3. Practice Importing a provided GPX file
    • Download the Homework1.zip file from this post, and extract the GPX file
    • Use File -> Import command to import the .GPX file into the Homework1 List (the file contains only a few waypoints)
    • Create/add a Waypoint for your home using the Wapoint tool (as demonstrated)
    • Create a route using 2 or more waypoints in the List using the Create Route using Selected Waypoints function from the right click menu
  4. Practice Exporting a GPX
    • Use File -> Export... to export the list you have been working with to a GPX file named Homework1Share.gpx
    • Create a ZIP file that contains the Homework1Share.gpx file

Attachments

• Homework1.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 127
Sorry I missed session 5.
I do not have a GPS yet, will basecamp alone be enough to do the homework assignment without the enhanced maps that the GPS hooked up would provide?

Sorry I missed session 5.
I do not have a GPS yet, will basecamp alone be enough to do the homework assignment without the enhanced maps that the GPS hooked up would provide?

Ummmm... yes and no. You can do the mechanics of the tasks, but the route created will not calculate.

Thanks for the homework Steve. I'm posting mine here not to be graded (If you had to grade all our homework, we'd never get anymore. ;) ),
but rather to bring up a question for the next session. I made the route, then I duplicated it and then inverted the duplicated copy. There are some small differences in the routes after duplication...no doubt due to some slight mileage or time differences in the reverse direction. Easy enough to take care of in BaseCamp by either adding some waypoints or by using the rubberbanding tool to force it into an exact reversal.....but...

(Q) Is there an easy way to reverse or invert a route right in the GPS unit without having to add any points and yet have it adhere to the original route as much as possible?

I noticed that the route you used as a demo during the last session did the same thing...that is when you inverted/reversed it, it actually selected a slightly different route. I was sort of just expecting a switch in arrow directions.

Attachments

• Homework1Share.zip
    622.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Thanks for the homework Steve. I'm posting mine here not to be graded (If you had to grade all our homework, we'd never get anymore. ;) ),
but rather to bring up a question for the next session. I made the route, then I duplicated it and then inverted the duplicated copy. There are some small differences in the routes after duplication...no doubt due to some slight mileage or time differences in the reverse direction. Easy enough to take care of in BaseCamp by either adding some waypoints or by using the rubberbanding tool to force it into an exact reversal.....but...

(Q) Is there an easy way to reverse or invert a route right in the GPS unit without having to add any points and yet have it adhere to the original route as much as possible?

I noticed that the route you used as a demo during the last session did the same thing...that is when you inverted/reversed it, it actually selected a slightly different route. I was sort of just expecting a switch in arrow directions.

@fartymarty - Thanks for not making me grade them 🤪

I have not found a way to invert a route on the XT or 660. Only in Basecamp. When trip planning, I always create and download routes in both directions.

What you found with Basecamp routing differences when inverting can happen. The route preferences that are set and the time or distance of the route come into play. The solution is to use more shaping points to force a route to follow the intended path.

One way streets through towns would lead to reverse routes not being the same. I’m mostly kidding, but there could be road changes when reversing a route. We can experiment and see what happens with different routes to see if the mileage and elapsed time changes.

We are still dealing with that good question about…if backing up Basecamp and then restoring on a Mac is possible. Our minds are blown by that that question.

I did some research on Garmin Forums. Backing up Basecamp on a PC and restoring to a Mac is not possible. While the backup is just a ZIP file, you can technically open the Zip and you could manually put all the files in the correct places. However some of the files reference each other via file paths, and the paths in these files wouldn't be correct.

It is possible to Just export your "Collection" to a .gpx file and then import it on the Mac. The file format is common between the two.

Please don't forget that the GPX format only contains waypoints, routes and tracks. So, if you have BirdsEye, Geotagged Photos, Custom Maps etc or if you have created lists in BaseCamp, these won't carry over.

Can you please advise what version of basecamp you are using? I have 4.8.12 on a MAC and do not have the option to open a route and the window appears with the various options.
Thank You

I use the latest Windows version of Basecamp and never used the Mac version. I’ve heard there are some minor differences the way some things are done in the Mac version. Ask the question in the next session.

Thank you Steve - I was able to confirm that the Windows and MAC versions of BaseCamp are different - I will call Garmin on Monday to ask about the tools that Windows has and MAC does not and their workaround. BTW the sessions have been great - thank you for doing this!

Thank you Steve - I was able to confirm that the Windows and MAC versions of BaseCamp are different - I will call Garmin on Monday to ask about the tools that Windows has and MAC does not and their workaround. BTW the sessions have been great - thank you for doing this!

I suggest reviewing the online Basecamp manual before contacting Garmin. You may save yourself some time.
As of today, users can find both Mac and Windows version manuals at this web page:

So much good info in your zoom program. Spent some time cleaning up my duplicate waypoints and doing the home work. When I first went to ZIP my homework file, I didn't have that option listed. I only had the option to Bluetooth. I went out of it and did some other things, then tried again and several options came up. Success. I am using a several year old upgraded win 7 laptop that is now running win10. I have had that happen doing other things on it, so I am sure it is the computer. The Steve's are giving very good directions, but my/our equipment sometimes act differently. I have 1 nuvi unit that will get me off on a exit and right back on the same road. It is the only one of several I have used in that area that does it. All of them have the same maps and routing installed. The exit runs next to the main road for about 1/4 mile. I would have to put a shaping on the main road it stay on it. Or just wait and let it figure it out when I stay on the road.

I have both a zumo 595 and a 496, so I tried sharing a route between them with Bluetooth. It was a simple 2 point route and took less than 10 seconds. The hardest part might be selecting what device you want to share with if several are in range with the Bluetooth turned on. They are ID by the device no. not name.

I have 1 nuvi unit that will get me off on a exit and right back on the same road.
If I had a quarter for every time I've done that while following my GPS blindly. :rolleyes:...Well, I could buy you a new computer and an Zumo XT.
My being mad at myself for doing it did make for some great acceleration on those entrance ramps though because I took out my anger on the throttle. 😡🏍️

I have not been able to attend like I wanted
I really appreciate this / the recordings.
Thanks guys
Bob

Greetings.
Attached is a subset of the short brief I presented this evening on the 3D printed Garmin XT Release Button Secure Cover my son-in-law and I developed.
As noted in the brief, we're offering these to COG members at pretty much cost. We estimate the cost to be about $10-15 including shipping and the hardware to mount and lock the device. This device will not prevent a determined thief, but it does offer a fair level of security for daytime meals breaks, head calls, etc.
I can't guarantee a delivery schedule, but if you think you might be interested, send me an email at Pelican72@comcast.net or HBaleyJM@ comcast.net. Once I see what the interest level is, I'll try and narrow down the cost, let everyone know, and then take specific orders.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Attachments

• Garmin XT Mount Release Cover(1)..pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
  • Garmin XT Mount Release Cover(2)..pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
  • Garmin XT Mount Release Cover(3)..pdf
    523.3 KB · Views: 107
Here is a list of useful links. It's amazing how much you can learn by spending some time reading through the links and tutorials. Look for the training video links, since that's an easier way for some to learn. I'll try to update this list as more topics are covered.

Garmin Basecamp User Manual for PC’s
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/basecamppc/EN-US/BaseCamp_Help_-_PC_EN-US.pdf

Garmin Basecamp User Manual for Mac’s
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/basecampmac/EN-US/BaseCamp_Help_-_Mac_EN-US.pdf

Garmin XT Owners Manual
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...-E9535D86014B/EN-US/zumo_XT_OM_Help_EN-US.pdf

Garmin 595LM Owners Manual
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...305-4087-4705-B783-FF6AB49E318A-homepage.html

Learn Basecamp (good on-line tutorial from New England Riders)
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/

Master list of GPS tutorials (Credit New England Riders)
https://www.newenglandriders.org/category/gps/

Library of New England rides (Credit New England Riders)
https://www.newenglandriders.org/ner-gpx-files-content/

GPS comparison
https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/zumoseriescomparison.html

GPS Basics (Credit New England Riders)
https://www.newenglandriders.org/gps-basics/

Selecting a GPS
https://drivingfast.net/best-motorcycle-sat-navs/

Last edited:
Greetings.
Attached is a subset of the short brief I presented this evening on the 3D printed Garmin XT Release Button Secure Cover my son-in-law and I developed.
As noted in the brief, we're offering these to COG members at pretty much cost. We estimate the cost to be about $10-15 including shipping and the hardware to mount and lock the device. This device will not prevent a determined thief, but it does offer a fair level of security for daytime meals breaks, head calls, etc.
I can't guarantee a delivery schedule, but if you think you might be interested, send me an email at Pelican72@comcast.net or HBaleyJM@ comcast.net. Once I see what the interest level is, I'll try and narrow down the cost, let everyone know, and then take specific orders.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Very nice of you all to do this! 👍

Make it easier on yourselves!

First of all, charge more, $25 or $29.99 (or more) is not out of line compared to what is in the marketplace now. Don't bother with the hardware...just list what it is and perhaps one or two recommended sources and part numbers for the correct size screws and washers and lock, and then let the users work it out themselves. This could go well or it could turn into a big headache for you two, so make sure you make it as easy on you both as you can.....it's much more important that this resource is available to us in the future (that someone can get one of these three years from now) than a few dollars saved right now. There are gonna be some that need it "right now" make it clear that you are not making more than one or two trips a month to the post office, and that this is a service gratis and not a business. Make sure that they know exactly what this does, and if they don't have a locking ram mount that all a potential thief needs is a pair of cutters for the cable and the ability to turn the thumb screw on the ram mount.
Be prepared for: "I never got mine."; "Mine arrived cracked."; "How do I mount it sideways?"; "Mine doesn't work."; "I'm not a member can I still get one if I pay 25cents more?"; "My TomTom doesn't fit.". :rolleyes: (I really hope none of this happens. 🤞)

It may sound like I'm trying to discourage you, I'm not. I just want you to be prepared so you don't throw in the towel a few months from now.

Best wishes and THANKS! 🖖

Sage advice Marty! It’s not a business but charge enough to make it worthwhile. I commend the effort to help others! It’s a very nice solution.

The latest seminar recording has been posted to the club website. This was #8. Find the videos by starting here: https://concours.org/Library/LibM/#162

Bruce Gilman shared with us that his contact at The GPS Store stated that the XT should be on sale next week.

Next session Mark W will share some tools to find good roads and present how he used MyRouteApp

If time, we will demonstrate 2 methods to create tank bag route sheets from Garmin Basecamp route.

I will be very interested in if changing the points to not announce on my route last night allows it to be run a a single route instead of breaking it into two different trips. I don't know if you tried to do that after I logged off at 9:00 pm. Having the GPS unit break it into two trips can be very bad if that happens at a point where there are many turns in the trip. You might not have time to start part 2 of the trip before you miss a turn. Ask me how I know? If you teach me how to not have that happen, mark that up as the 7th or 8th thing I have learned. At least one new skill a week so far.

Some additional background on that trip. I used the click on a point in sequence method of creating a route, not the start point, end point and rubber band method of planning. I think that is why they were all via points and not shaping points. I also had started and ended it at the hotel but then my file was too big to attach to a post in our old forum software. I didn't know how to zip the file at that time. Now I do, thanks to these seminars. I used a point in the loop route that was a town with easy access to Williamsport as my start and stop to make the file smaller.

I will be very interested in if changing the points to not announce on my route last night allows it to be run a a single route instead of breaking it into two different trips. I don't know if you tried to do that after I logged off at 9:00 pm....

We did edit the route properties to change announcement. Except for the start, end, and test waypoint for sharp curve, all others were set to not announce. The route was recalculated and when transferred to the GPS it was one single route.

During the session Kevin mentioned 29 points being the maximum, but he emailed later after looking it up and said he misinterpreted.
Below is context from his is is from the manual. While confusing and contradictory to other manuals, in the text Kevin pulled from his Nav6 "Via Point" is an alternate name for Waypoint. Based on this, the max number of waypoint is 29. Waypoints announce. Shaping points are what is generated when we "rubber-band" the route using the insert tool in Basecamp and it drops the small black dots. There can be up to 125 shaping points between waypoints. Shaping points should be set to not announce.

1646402964519.png

Learning how to change multiple points at one time was definitely worth the price of admission. This whole series is well done,
thanks to the two Steve(s) and the recordings, COG will have a valuable resource of information for as long as BaseCamp is viable.

As mentioned in this thread last week... Zumo XT is on sale now at Garmin store or your favorite Garmin GPS provider.

1646749264856.png

FYI

Looking online (no, I have no experience with this seller, so it's buyer's risk) I was able to find a price as low as $335.81
Too good to be true?...sorry I dunno. 😟:unsure:

Website is ChromeBurner.com, sale price is $373.12....then I found a discount code of "CB10YEARS" which applied to the cart
brought the total with free shipping and no sales tax. down to $335.81. This appears to me to be a Dutch company and I guess
the product ships from there? via Fedex....I have no idea if the product ships with North America maps...something to check on for sure.
EDIT: OK, it says comes loaded with Full Europe Maps ....I guess an Emily Litella "NEVERMIND" is due here. Sorry.

I thought about removing this post entirely, then I thought it might help others check out the fine print as they shop. I'll admit if I didn't already
have a Zumo XT I might have jumped on this and found out about the Europe map when it got here. I'm not sure how much of a problem that might have been to reload North American maps onto it. If I recall correctly Steve S. said he thought it was a bad idea.
edit: knew somebody that had map loading problems and returned it.

Perhaps if someone has had any experience with this company, if they would sound off here?

Last edited:
FYI

Looking online (no, I have no experience with this seller, so it's buyer's risk) I was able to find a price as low as $335.81
Too good to be true?...sorry I dunno. 😟:unsure:

Website is ChromeBurner.com, sale price is $373.12....then I found a discount code of "CB10YEARS" which applied to the cart
brought the total with free shipping and no sales tax. down to $335.81. This appears to me to be a Dutch company and I guess
the product ships from there? via Fedex....I have no idea if the product ships with North America maps...something to check on for sure.
EDIT: OK, it says comes loaded with Full Europe Maps ....I guess an Emily Litella "NEVERMIND" is due here. Sorry.

IIRC - I thougth I mentioned an anecdote early on in the sessions where another member I know well purchased from this vendor last year becasue of the cheap price. They found out the hard way about the Europe maps, which cannot be updated to NorthAmerica and returned the unit.

There are other vendors., not just GPS vendors that seel Garmin products. I got mine from an outfitting vendor who also offered a $50 discount for first time customers. Cha-ching. It is worth the effort exploring different sellers.

Thanks for showing us around the MyRouteApp Mark!. Here is a link to MyRouteApp web site. They are sharing routes from registered users with others for free. You need to scroll down in this blog a bit to get to the English version. You can still use it for free with their standard maps.

Gents - Regrettably I was unable to join live a single session; I have received the email link with the attached audio and video of the 10 sessions.

I have seen and heard lots of good chatter regarding the sessions and want to THANK YOU for your effort in sharing your experiences and knowledge of these mainstay tools (ZUMO, Basecamp, more)!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Thanks Wayne. I know you would have contributed from your experiences. I really appreciated the contributions from the attendees and learned a lot.

Hopefully everyone that attended the training fell in love with Basecamp or picked their routing tool of choice and is having some success.

Posting this information from MyRouteApp.

A good route planner can create segments. This is often complicated and difficult to use, and this is why you don’t use it. We have now completely reinvented it so that it does work properly. When you use our brand-new Mobile app in combination with the improved online route planner, you can go full throttle into the summer!

:rolleyes:Hopefully everyone that attended the training fell in love with Basecamp or ...

Well, I like it much better than I did before, and I'm now able to plan a route entirely on BaseCamp which I didn't do previously
unless it was a simple point to point. Prior to the COG Webinars I always used two other steps before importing my results into BaseCamp.
However "love" may still be too strong a word to use, regardless, any affection that I now have for BaseCamp is due to the two Steves and the COG Webinars they hosted for us. (y) How much I actually learned may be revealed after the blow back I get about my routes at this years National.:rolleyes: