• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Went a different route

AwesomeDad

Talked to a fellow riders and some tire reps and due to timing and stock put a set of Metzler 888 on. Fits my style of riding and should provide a little more mileage.

JJ

Attachments

• 98366731-3B1C-43F0-AE3B-F97140F2EEF5.jpeg
    98366731-3B1C-43F0-AE3B-F97140F2EEF5.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 155
  • ABE5AC72-60D3-4808-99FA-75765868A9F7.jpeg
    ABE5AC72-60D3-4808-99FA-75765868A9F7.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 174
I've thought about these, too. I'll look forward to your "ongoing" and "end" reports. Good luck.
Ron

AwesomeDad said:
Talked to a fellow riders and some tire reps and due to timing and stock put a set of Metzler 888 on...

Will also like to follow your experince with these... I put on RS3s, due to the fact I'm very new to the C14, but as conseravtive as the RS3s are -- they still seem to have more capabilities than I'm likely to use -- thought about something like the 888's as i had very good experiance with 880s in my cruiser/touring days (used to get about 16K-20K out of rears on Nomad and HD-Ultra), but being too new to the Connie world of perfromance I decided to wait...

Please do post your experiance...

dcstrng said:
I put on RS3s, due to the fact I'm very new to the C14, but as conseravtive as the RS3s are -- they still seem to have more capabilities than I'm likely to use

What do you mean by conservative?
I have them now and like em. Ordered another set from STG, waiting on shipment.

Christopher said:
[]

What do you mean by conservative?
I have them now and like em. Ordered another set from STG, waiting on shipment.

Compared to some of the track-day gumballs I read about -- from what a read and saw on YouTube (perhaps in error, but...) the RS3 was at the T end of the ST discussions -- which is why I picked `em, but not sure...

Good luck with the tire, I hope it works out for you.

That's the only tire I ever had on my C10 that scared the sh!t out of me.

They are VERY slippery in the rain.

I almost went down with these on my c10. It was raining and a car pulled out in front of me. Sliding sideways down the road. Scary. It was also when I decided my next bike would have ABS.

Egodriver71 said:

That's the only tire I ever had on my C10 that scared the s*** out of me.

Ahhh the EBWT 888s  EBWT= Eval Bike Wrecking Tire. Saw that term in the 90s or earlier.

I fully understand wanting to get great mileage out of these high price shoes but you are trading safety for frugality.  Something all us COGers struggle with.  SO if you can stop 25 feet sooner on a sticky tire and stick to a corner you come into to hot just a little better is your life worth the $20-40 bucks you saved?  I assume you use no gear too?  No helmet, no jacket, never replace brake pads... :)

My opinion, Thanks for listening.

AwesomeDad said:
Talked to a fellow riders and some tire reps and due to timing and stock put a set of Metzler 888 on. Fits my style of riding and should provide a little more mileage.

JJ
smithr1 said:
Ahhh the EBWT 888s  EBWT= Eval Bike Wrecking Tire. Saw that term in the 90s or earlier.

I fully understand wanting to get great mileage out of these high price shoes but you are trading safety for frugality.  Something all us COGers struggle with.  SO if you can stop 25 feet sooner on a sticky tire and stick to a corner you come into to hot just a little better is your life worth the $20-40 bucks you saved?  I assume you use no gear too?  No helmet, no jacket, never replace brake pads... :)

Seriously Bob? No where in his post did he mention being cheap frugal or trying to save money. Was only looking for better mileage. He even questioned other riders & reps about them. I never new these tires were like that & obviously he didn't either. Ron even says he's been looking at them.

I'm sorry, but you're a AAD & this post was completely uncalled for.

smithr1 said:

Just Cliff said:
Seriously Bob? No where in his post did he mention being cheap frugal or trying to save money. Was only looking for better mileage. He even questioned other riders & reps about them. I never new these tires were like that & obviously he didn't either. Ron even says he's been looking at them.

I'm sorry, but you're a AAD & this post was completely uncalled for.
Gotta love the Internet, rather than try and defend or engage the keyboard warriors, I will simply offer this.
As with all the hot button topics (tires, windshields, oils, seats etc...) It always seems to derail quickly.
Ive been riding over thirty years almost every type of bike except an Adventure bike. I’ve tried a lot of tires under numerous conditions. As with everyone else here I eventually find what works for me and stick with it. There was nothing frugal about my decision there’s several other brands I could have went with that a set would have cost just what my rear tire alone cost. I had intended to try the Road 5 GT’S but they were on back order and I didn’t have the time to wait for them. But that’s the beauty of tires if I don’t like these I can switch them out. And there has been quite a few threads started here and elsewhere on the quest for the “perfect” tire. And for those of you wanting updates I’ll try to accommodate as for the rest you  ride your way and I’ll ride mine...

JJ

Wow, I stand by my post and am just warning the OP of the very real difference in tires and how they relate to safety.  I did not berate him like you all just did me.  After all, I did not make up the phrase and I did say "my opinion"...  I care for Dad maybe more then those that did not warn of the danger of high mileage tires on any bike.  Lost two friends slipping out in corners on them so...

BTW I was thinking of the 880s and I apologize for that.  I have less knowledge of the 888s. Sorry.

I have no experience on the 888s, but I did go through 2 sets of the ME880s on my C10. The ME880 was a bias ply tire originally "intended" for heavy-weight cruisers/tourers (Honda Goldwing GL1500, et.al.).

IMO, the C10 didn't weigh enough to get the 880s warm enough to "stick."  This was especially true during cool, rainy rides. Also, even on hot days, the handling was pretty severely compromised; took a lot of effort to roll in to a turn and to roll back upright.  I did get phenomenal mileage out of them (25K+) but decided  (after sliding through a 4-way stop at the bottom of a wet downhill) that it wasn't worth the trade off.

Presumably, Metzler addressed the lack of traction. Best of luck with them.

Ranger Jim said:
I have no experience on the 888s, but I did go through 2 sets of the ME880s on my C10. The ME880 was a bias ply tire originally "intended" for heavy-weight cruisers/tourers (Honda Goldwing GL1500, et.al.).

IMO, the C10 didn't weigh enough to get the 880s warm enough to "stick."  This was especially true during cool, rainy rides. Also, even on hot days, the handling was pretty severely compromised; took a lot of effort to roll in to a turn and to roll back upright.  I did get phenomenal mileage out of them (25K+) but decided  (after sliding through a 4-way stop at the bottom of a wet downhill) that it wasn't worth the trade off.

Presumably, Metzler addressed the lack of traction. Best of luck with them.
I read close to 100 reviews from the last 4 years not one mentioned issues in wet conditions, now the bulk of the reviews were from cruisers and heavy tour but there were a few sport tourers. And the only negatives weren’t bike related but either arrived defective or age related. So we shall see..:

JJ

well this thread went interestingly... The 880 was my go-to tire for about 140-150K miles on two bikes (as v. Dunlop and Stones).  I don't know squate about the 888 except that even Metz referes to it as a iterative improvement on the 880... With 880s, I did indeed get good mileage on heavy cruisers over both short trips (one tank of gas) or long-haul (one-day, half the continent jumps, etc., etc...) as well as cold (below freezing -- but no sleet) and 90-100 degree summer stop and go... dragged floorboards many times, but that of corse is not comperable to what my C14 is capabale of doing with a good rider (probably not me...)

Obviously the 880 does not have the speed rating of the more usual ST tires, nor does it have the knee-dragging road-holding -- but it did just fine in the rain, many times... much of the time on the bikes I commuted because that's how I got to work for much of 5 yaesr, except for actual snow-days -- ridinig in the rain as one usually does, the 880 did just fine (no ABS, no traction control, no other techno-gizmos... just care...).  No I didn't ride in the rain on purpose, but I saw my share...

To the extent that the 888 is an improvement on the 880, I'd thought it was a viable option for those who stay well on the T-side of the ST ridiing --  But I just didn't know the C14 well enough... If my RS3 rears go 10K miles with my easy riding style, I'll be happy -- if they wear out in a few thousand like some riders have noted; I'll be looking for an alternative...

smithr1 said:
Wow, I stand by my post and am just warning the OP of the very real difference in tires and how they relate to safety.  I did not berate him like you all just did me.  After all, I did not make up the phrase and I did say "my opinion"...  I care for Dad maybe more then those that did not warn of the danger of high mileage tires on any bike.  Lost two friends slipping out in corners on them so...

BTW I was thinking of the 880s and I apologize for that.  I have less knowledge of the 888s. Sorry.
Bob,
I think could be wrong the last part of your post was meant as humor but taken literally. If it was not humor then yeah probably a little harsh but I’m a big boy no worries...

JJ

dcstrng said:
well this thread went interestingly... The 880 was my go-to tire for about 140-150K miles on two bikes (as v. Dunlop and Stones).  I don't know squate about the 888 except that even Metz referes to it as a iterative improvement on the 880... With 880s, I did indeed get good mileage on heavy cruisers over both short trips (one tank of gas) or long-haul (one-day, half the continent jumps, etc., etc...) as well as cold (below freezing -- but no sleet) and 90-100 degree summer stop and go... dragged floorboards many times, but that of corse is not comperable to what my C14 is capabale of doing with a good rider (probably not me...)

Obviously the 880 does not have the speed rating of the more usual ST tires, nor does it have the knee-dragging road-holding -- but it did just fine in the rain, many times... much of the time on the bikes I commuted because that's how I got to work for much of 5 yaesr, except for actual snow-days -- ridinig in the rain as one usually does, the 880 did just fine (no ABS, no traction control, no other techno-gizmos... just care...).  No I didn't ride in the rain on purpose, but I saw my share...

To the extent that the 888 is an improvement on the 880, I'd thought it was a viable option for those who stay well on the T-side of the ST ridiing --  But I just didn't know the C14 well enough... If my RS3 rears go 10K miles with my easy riding style, I'll be happy -- if they wear out in a few thousand like some riders have noted; I'll be looking for an alternative...
You sir sound exactly like my riding style and situation. I will never come close to the ability of the bike. I got the knee dragging parts scrapping out of my system years ago. Now it’s me and my bride enjoying the ride..

JJ

Thanks for understanding AD,  I don't always write things the way I hear in my head.

BUT I still contend that no matter your/anyone's riding style that one day, when you least expect it, someone will pull out in front of you or you come into a corner to hot.  You are golden on hard tires until that day.  But when it comes and the bike does not stop 25" shorter or slips out and sends you under oncoming traffic will you be alive to wonder if saving ? $50 a year was worth it.  As I said I have lost two friends this way and almost sure they would be here today if driving the stickiest tire they had available.

I'm definitely interested in how they work for you. Since even my "sportier" rides have left considerable chicken strips, I'm heavily considering a 888 when I replace the rear.

CSGMech said:
I'm definitely interested in how they work for you. Since even my "sportier" rides have left considerable chicken strips, I'm heavily considering a 888 when I replace the rear.
I’ve only put less than 500 miles on them but initial impressions are favorable.

I ran various Metzlers for years on my 1978 R 80 BMW, they were very popular in the 80's and still are.
I never experienced anything negative about them at all, and they were long wearing.
Never had any problems in the rain or otherwise.
Nick
2014 C-14

Kzz1king said:
I almost went down with these on my c10. It was raining and a car pulled out in front of me. Sliding sideways down the road. Scary. It was also when I decided my next bike would have ABS.

Egodriver71 said:

That's the only tire I ever had on my C10 that scared the s*** out of me.

I ran me880s on a V-Strom before getting the pr4s on it, and the880s work fine in warm weather but on a light bike in cool weather the grip isn’t there in corners. Pr4s transformed that bike into an aggressive corner carver. When I bought the Connie she came with 4s mounted up and I have stayed with them. I’ll be very curious to see how the 888s do long term

******** a long one but worth the read because I'm sharing the experience of more riders than just myself ********

In the 4 years I was in Germany and on three different bikes I did not notice a great deal of difference in the wet or dry road performance from brand to brand. Some tires had better wear than others, but real world performance was very similar. And for those that don't know, in the Eifel mountain region of Germany you get 100 days of sunshine a year - if the sun breaks through the clouds for 5 minutes - you have 99 days left!  :beerchug:  Summer was about a month and not much more. Black ice happened ALL winter long due to the high moisture and frequent cold nights. What all of us learned from that experience was, it's not the tires, it is the driver/rider. The throttle and brakes are not on/off switches and you learn that or you WILL go down. The only question is when and where you go down. You control the machine properly for the conditions - or else. :??:

I rode an FJ1100, CB750, and a KZ1000 (a long term loan to me) during those years. Tires were ALWAYS an issue because we had difficulty buying them on the local economy. And it was a fact at the time that the Germans did all they could to encourage their citizens to ride bikes 100cc or smaller.  :(  The German cycle tire companies manufactured for export for the most part. So if we wanted tires, we basically needed to get them through the Base Exchange (think military Walmart) and the supply was not terribly steady. So you bought whatever brand and model they could find - when you could get it. And you needed to also be flexible on the dimensions or not ride!  :-[  This was the mid 80's with no internet or online stores to go to folks. And those round top mountain back roads, the Autobahn, and the occasional trip to Nuremberg Ring race track for a few hot laps really chewed up our rubber and I don't care what the brand was. And we often, but not always, got more Euro tires than American or Asia tires, but the performance was similar with minor differences between brands, not radical differences - it just wasn't. Continental-German, Michelin-French, Metzeler-German, and Pirelli-Italian were commonly used.

Now I know that was the 80's and this is the 2020's but the competition between tire vendors is just as ruthless now as it was then, with NO brand exponentially ahead of the other no matter what anyone says. And all that remains is a bunch of brand marketing claims and rider opinion to drive the discussion and little else.  :nananana:

Let's be serious for a second, put on our calm adult pants, grab a deep breath, and not go bat s#$t crazy over my next statement - just remain calm and think quietly about it a few minutes before clicking POST on a flaming and raging reply.............OK.............Ready?.............

Do you really believe these tire vendors do not test their products in ALL road conditions - because they do.
Do you really believe that in our lawsuit happy world a manufacturer would continue to sell a KNOWN dangerous product?
Just one look at their ridiculous safety warnings and disclaimer statements should quickly answer that question..... :eek:

And if I see one more warning not to put the parts bag on my head because it could result in death I may kill myself to spite them! :mad:  :rotflmao:

So in the end it gets down to brand loyalty and if you like one over the other that's fine - but to breathlessly defend one over the other is a little silly without hard evidence that really doesn't exist - and I am not aware of anyone here that has a tire testing lab or has done any scientific research on the subject. Last month I got into a ridiculous debate here over power tools and it quickly devolved into "my brand is the best because I think it is the best and all my friends say so too!" I think we can all do better than that - myself included!  ;)

Take care all,
Jon