• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

West of Chicago Riding Anyone?

hayzes

Tricycle
Is there anybody within 120 mile radius of me that would like to set something up? Maybe we can get a monthly thing going for 2011. I'm about a hour and a half West of Chicago. If your interested at all, please post and I'll look into stuff we could do as a group.

It appears this is going to prove more difficult than it's worth. Do we somewhere else that's more actively used for communications? Maybe I can look down through a members list and find people that way?

The best way to find others in your area may be the mailed out member book if you have it already. Second I would look up your area director and get the Assistant area director for your specific area.

I have found that there is a bigger presence off the boards than on it but you are held to e-mail communication and the way you posted is good but as people look through the headings you may have had better luck posting "West of Chicago looking for riders" I did a similar thing looking for riders in the DFW area. You may have luck looking for a Chicago riders forum. I have found a few friends on our "Two Wheeled Texans" site. Some are Concours riders that didn't know about the COG site till I turned them on to it.
Don't give up after one post. If the weather has been good up there, as it has here, they may be out riding and won't post till the work week starts again.

I'll give that a go and try changing the thread title. I'm not giving up after a few posts, I'm just looking at new strategies. I'm new so I'm just learning how the group operates and the best way I know how to learn is to ask. Thanks for the reply. 

Your Welcome!
I was new back in October so I know what you are going through! I was really excited and our area is a pretty quiet on the boards as far as activities go. My assistant area director for the Dallas area doesn't do the forum (5 posts last time I checked) but he has been active e-mail wise and making all the outings that came out. It was lost on me though and I was pretty put off by no response for months by anyone here. I have made it a point to contact when someone new shows up, and if they are in my area I try to push a meet and greet. If you can get one to go and meet, you can post it on the boards through your director to the callendar or just put it on the board as a post.

Good luck! I hope you find many new frinds here!

Hi Hayzes,
Sorry I hadn't checked the forum sooner. I live west of Morrison, but I did buy my bike at Gieson's! Definitely have to get together this season, I just have to remember to buy a sticker for my plate. I think it is kind of quiet in this area for COG riders, but I don't mind heading north to catch some curvier roads to ride anyway.

Dean Burkholder

burk58 said:
Hi Hayzes,
Sorry I hadn't checked the forum sooner. I live west of Morrison, but I did buy my bike at Gieson's! Definitely have to get together this season, I just have to remember to buy a sticker for my plate. I think it is kind of quiet in this area for COG riders, but I don't mind heading north to catch some curvier roads to ride anyway.

Dean Burkholder

Very cool. Did you just buy your C14? I was just in there last week and they had two 2011's in there. One black and one silver. I bought my 09' in there last year as I really liked the red. We'll have to chat it up sometime and do some riding once the season starts.

I bought a 2008, on Jan. 1, 2008. I haven't looked back since!  :))    I did just get the extended warranty through Gieson's and I take in my internet purchased tires for  tire changes. Very pleased with the Dealership. I agree, we'll have to do some rides.

gPink said:
Hayzes, If you decide to ride south look for me in Carbondale.

Will do. Carbondale is around 6 hours from me so not sure if I'll be in that area. Can you keep me posted on any interesting events they may hold this year? Then I could make a weekend out of it and we could meet up. I have never been there myself.

It's not what you ride, but the fact that you ride.

On the whole however, few real rides have been posted on most of the local chicago boards this season.  I've tried places like meetup.com, but most rides there are too local for my taste.

My ideal ride is usually no less than 300+ miles, all day, relatively technical, involving as minimal interstate as possible, and ideally in the southern direction :)  Of course, not all of this criteria can be met, so most local trips are west and north.  I don't much care for WI any more as I've ridden there way too many times.    I have a real nice 2 and 3 day loop that covers southern IN, KY, and WV (on the 3 day version).  The trip on the slab is hell to get down there, but well worth it and is much better than anything in WI, but in terms of road quality and technical skill level.

If you're up for it, i'm leaving on a 4 day trip on tuesday (7/26) to head east and south (in, oh, MD, WV, KY, etc..).  Contact me privately for details.

Hello Hayzes,

I live in the western Chicago burbs. I'd be happy to meet up and ride with you. There some good riding along the mississipi river and in southern il. Send me an email: uvarider82@gmail.com