• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What are the chances?

I was out riding in north central Co. once in about 2006.  When I got back to home base I heard that a cyclist was killed by lightning not that far from where I was.  I saw the rain and went another way.  In the report they said that in the last 2 years 3 riders had been hit.  It is not all that uncommon so consider not being the rod if you are out in it.

I had no idea a biker had ever been hit before. If out, definitely don't want to be the lone spot it (the lightning) navigates too. Yikes!

My wife and I were doing the TwoUp Challenge  in Missouri at  the National rally a couple of years ago and almost got hit when we stopped at a boat ramp to read a clue. It hit the river right in front of  us. Scared the crap out of  us. Not fun.

Stay off the road during electrical storms.  Period.  Contrary to popular belief, your tires do not isolate you from the road.  So, if you're out there when lightning is flashing all round you - and we've all done it - be aware that you are in effect 'grounded' and that you and your motorcycle are a perfect conduit should there be a strike.  People in cars are protected from this kind of thing because they are sitting in a steel cage, not because they are riding on four rubber tires.