• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What bike to buy for 50 year old birthday?

zg

T minus about 3 months from me turning 50 years old, man times goes fast!  :eek:

I'm considering picking up another toy for my 50th birthday present, something more fun than logical, I've started trolling around and am finding some bikes that intrigue me...

Let me know if you have or have had any of these or if you have any other suggestions, I'm just in data collection phase now which is always fun, would like to hear COG's input...

2017 or newer Suzuki gsxr1000
2017 or newer Honda cbr1000rr
2017 or newer Kawasaki ninja 1000
2019 or newer Kawasaki ninja H2 SX SE

A brand new leftover model from a prior year would be first choice, that way still new but heavily discounted.

My target price point is $10k-$15k, please help me find a fun bday present, links, pics, video's, please chime in, thanks!

:beerchug: :popcorn:

dude.... go full retro... back 50 years to the beginning... in a new format...
perfect price, and fully ballson fun...

73ed11b0-0fc5-417e-9446-1202567ada3a.jpg

the new/old 900.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZbike.
:)) :)) :great: :great: :motonoises: :motonoises:

I'm partial to the '19, I like the all green model... (I think next year they will do the real ELR color scheme... with the blue/white/green...) racing tradition edition... ( I talked with a rep, and he kinda revealed that..)
5ulih4nd.djp.jpg

having my '78 KZ1000 LTD in my garage, I still want one of these, because i think they do rock now.. and the specs are great.. not to mention price...which is very modest...

https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2020-Z900RS-CAFE?cm_re=MPP-_-PRODUCTTRIMLIST-_-VEHICLEDETAILS

even an older new one (many still on dealer floors... is the Nekid Bike... I say, go Nekid...)

https://media.kawasaki.com/contentstorage/693c95bc-644c-48a2-8ac7-f1d3170c8efb_H264_1080.mp4

hey, affordable, and can be sold easily...

luv that bike.. can't let it go.

Attachments

• dirt dawg collectionY.jpg
    dirt dawg collectionY.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 120
  • dirtdawg 1.jpg
    dirtdawg 1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 124
gsun said:
How about a Zero for something completely different?

Interesting, hadn't heard of those G, one on CL not too far from me, in reading the ad sounds impressive, welcome to the future!

https://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/d/eugene-2020-zero-motorcycles-sr-premium/7040648756.html

MAN OF BLUES said:
dude.... go full retro... back 50 years to the beginning... in a new format...
perfect price, and fully ballson fun...

5ulih4nd.djp.jpg

:great: :great:

friend of mine has a Yamaha XSR-900, Hes in his 50's and rides it, a LOT. its very quick and handles great. Test ride one, you might be surprised, its very snotty in 'a' mode, but the other 2 modes make it manageable for normal riding. His 'big' bike is a triumph 1050 GT sprint and this , he says, fills that same niche i think you are looking to fill.

Yamaha's 3 cylinder cross plane 850 c.c. engine never disappoints.  I have it in my FZ09 and it also powers the XSR 900 , the Tracer 900 (which is a stellar, comfy sport touring bike )and the 3 wheel Nikken. Stock bars are much higher than your short list bikes. I have clip on's via Woodcraft adapter plate. There are many low mileage bikes modded to your taste to choose from at low prices on their forum.
    This is a bike that makes a perfect 2nd bike. I imagine people buy these then feel they have to move up to larger faster bikes.

I always wanted a Triumph Street Triple. In your case, you might look at the Speed Triple. Small, upright riding position, light, lots of power.

I'd probably spring for a KTM Super Duke. GT or R.

Actually, tbh, assuming you are keeping the Connie, I'd get a KTM Duke 390 or 790. Something small and just tons of smiles per mile. Just something for shorter spirited rides. Comfortable but super capable and a little bit swanky.

wayne-o said:
Yamaha's 3 cylinder cross plane 850 c.c. engine never disappoints.  I have it in my FZ09 and it also powers the XSR 900 , the Tracer 900 (which is a stellar, comfy sport touring bike )and the 3 wheel Nikken. Stock bars are much higher than your short list bikes. I have clip on's via Woodcraft adapter plate. There are many low mileage bikes modded to your taste to choose from at low prices on their forum.
    This is a bike that makes a perfect 2nd bike. I imagine people buy these then feel they have to move up to larger faster bikes.

If I were to go naked the XSR900 would indeed be on the list, I like the 2020 color scheme, tank resembles the old RZ350 tank colors.  :great:

Bro, none of those are dirt bikes, at 50 you need a Husky 501, or something like a pristine 1990 CR500. You can ride street bikes when you're too old and sick to have actual fun. Go set your hair on fire.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Too bad you live on the other end of the USA... this is sitting at my local dealership.... and you get the full warranty, and can extend it...

https://www.loudermilks.net/inventory/2018-kawasaki-versys-1000-lt-ashtabula-oh-44004-2577248i

;)

This new old stock bike is like half off it's original price now...
https://www.loudermilks.net/inventory/2018-kawasaki-z900-abs-ashtabula-oh-44004-2331884i

man, I'm tempted even... I need a lighter bike....

I'll ride it out there to you... you just pay da' man...

heh.

I have a grom. also has an LT250R quadracer motor in it.  :motonoises:

(and BTW, same ergos as a KTM390 duke, seat height/peg/bar position, i'm not kidding, owned one of those as well)

78843149_3036931379668568_6442731632997695488_o.jpg

... but i wouldn't recommend it if you like to ride sedately.  >:D

still think you should try out of of the yama triples or one of the triumph triples. neither disappoints.

ZG said:
Old Man on a Connie said:
Gumby said:
Just Cliff said:
Old Man on a Connie said:
Pussey. Get a grom.

At least he'd be able to reach the ground!  :rotflmao:
I don't care who you are, that right there is funny!  :D :D
Now i'm paying the price for commenting on a ZG thread. Good one Cliff.

;D  I miss you 3 biches...  :beerchug:
Give me a hug in Vancouver 2020. Bring your chop sticks dahmit.

Ok as I continue with my research my list appears to be shrinking, my top 2 at the moment are these beauties.  >:D

Both are local to me and are new leftovers.

Which would you choose and why?  :popcorn:

2019 Kawasaki H2 SX SE Plus

https://www.powermotorsports.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=8282323&p=1&vc=sport&s=Price&d=D&vt=motorcycle%20%2F%20scooter&fr=xNewInventory#gallerySlider

2018 Honda CBR1000RR SP

https://www.motosporthillsboro.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=8278853&p=1&make=honda&vc=super%20sport&s=Year&d=D&year=2018&fr=xNewInventory

Neither will disappoint, both will endanger your driving record. I saw a review on the Honda measured up against other super bikes at a track. The other bikes had bigger numbers; torque, horsepower. I can't remember which bikes were in the review but all had more electronics the rider could program for conditions and preferences. The Honda not so much. Seemed the bike did its suspension changes from being ridden, using the inputs of speed, road surface lean angle and all the other good stuff. The Honda, despite lower horsepower posted some of the better lap times. The  reviewers at the end said their preferred ride was the Double R SP. Hope this helps.

Found the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJFszDt8ouo

From your list...H2 SX SE Plus, it just checks all my boxes. also a joy to look at even parked.

Diz said:
Neither will disappoint, both will endanger your driving record. I saw a review on the Honda measured up against other super bikes at a track. The other bikes had bigger numbers; torque, horsepower. I can't remember which bikes were in the review but all had more electronics the rider could program for conditions and preferences. The Honda not so much. Seemed the bike did its suspension changes from being ridden, using the inputs of speed, road surface lean angle and all the other good stuff. The Honda, despite lower horsepower posted some of the better lap times. The  reviewers at the end said their preferred ride was the Double R SP. Hope this helps.

Found the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJFszDt8ouo

Hi DZ, correct of all the liter bike lineup the CBR has the lowest hp in comparison, all are right around 200 hp, the CBR is ~185 hp, although my local shop did a full Akra exhaust and mapping to put down 200+ hp on one. I've been watching a bunch of these video's as well, it seems even though lowest on hp folks choose it over the others due to the suspension and lighter weight. The CBR is the smallest and least weight of the bunch.

Tundra said:
From your list...H2 SX SE Plus, it just checks all my boxes. also a joy to look at even parked.

The H2 is a cool bike indeed TD, tell me more about the boxes it's checking for you...  :popcorn:

It checks a lot of boxes for me too, even so much that if I go with the H2 I probably wouldn't need my VFR for that space.  It's also about 4 grand more than the CBR, 5 grand more assuming I add the matching side cases, so then in my head a start to debate the H2 vs the CBR & VFR combo pack, approx same total $, I still really love my VFR for the space so tough call.

The big difference is size and weight, the H2 is ~160 lbs heavier than the CBR, which is a lot, the CBR is almost 600 size, which I know is fun to throw around. Proabably my biggest concern with the H2 is long term how will it do mechanically and how hard or easy will it be to get parts for in say 10 years from now? And the CBR, well it's a Honda, they seem to always run like a clock with easy access to parts and techs to work on them.

Decisions decisions...  :??:

ZG said:
how hard or easy will it be to get parts for in say 10 years from now?
You can't even keep a bike the same color for more than a year.

When was the last time you kept a bike for 10 years?  :017:

Gumby said:
ZG said:

:truce:

Which ever bike I go with, I intend to keep for the duration, adding to the long term 401J collection  ;D

I didn't know you could get an H2 in that price range?

I'd suggest an R1, a used Ducati Sport Classic (beautiful bikes) or maybe an older dry clutch Monster.  There isn't a whole lot new that excites me.  Retro stuff is neat but I think I'd grow tired of it quickly.

Except the Triumph stuff.  Rode a Triumph Bobber this summer.  The shifter felt carved from billet.  Rode a CB1000 back to back and the CB was lacking.  Triumph had character and then some.

A couple more videos for your viewing pleasure...  :popcorncouple:

https://youtu.be/2NtIGiFP_6o

https://youtu.be/1WJrGp_-Alg

I'm starting to lean towards the CBR, it's my wife's first choice of the litter, so that helps make everything easier.  :)

i had a sport classic for about 7 years, great bike, but uncomfortable after a while unless you go with higher clipons. and im short, so... but never a reliability issue and an absolute hoot to ride.
th H2 seems liek the best value for the $, that's how i would go.

[/quote]
[/quote]

:rotflmao:

With that in mind, Fireblade's panels look easier to change

ZG said:
Gumby said:
ZG said:

:truce:

Which ever bike I go with, I intend to keep for the duration, adding to the long term 401J collection  ;D
Yah ok J, we'll see how that works out  :popcorn: based on your track record I got to go with Tom on this one
The H-2 seems like the way go all the amenities of the C-14 minus shaft drive but plus cruise control and about another 40 hp.

H2 SX SE Plus top speed, hope this is the autobahn  :eek:  :motonoises:

https://youtu.be/_wZoH8d_hLw

Here a non SE, H-2 SX. https://m39t6.app.goo.gl/AZ36b

ZG said:
H2 SX SE Plus top speed, hope this is the autobahn  :eek:  :motonoises:

https://youtu.be/_wZoH8d_hLw

Sign said St. Petersburg was ahead-Russia? seemed stable at 180MPH Think the blinking yellow instrument light will distract you? Lane splitting at 120MPH Legal in the Northwest?

Diz said:
Maybe you should get 2 bikes Gumby and you would look pretty rad climbing toward Mt. Lemon...........
:017:

Jay, I think Diz is saying you should buy two bikes one to keep down in AZ and one for your garage. :great:

Gumby said:
Diz said:
Maybe you should get 2 bikes Gumby and you would look pretty rad climbing toward Mt. Lemon...........
:017:

Jay, I think Diz is saying you should buy two bikes one to keep down in AZ and one for your garage. :great:

;D  :great:

Well the search is over, I pulled the trigger on the CBR1000RR SP today!  :) >:D  :happybirthday3:

Gumby said:
Nice bike, but I think it needs a new color scheme. :))

You need to get one of these, Scott bought 4 of them, he has at least 2 more he'll sell.

Check out the dash, the TFT display is amazing.  8)

he's gonna get bored, and sell it.. it already has a ll the $$$ farkles delivered on it..  :)) :))

hey, ride safe and enjoy Jay.... I jealous ... well, not really, just poor...  ;)

Beautiful! Happy Birthday! What made the SP your choice? Many miles with smiles and stay safe  :great:

love the heritage colors. well done, shes a beauty . that frame is all business!!!  :great: :motonoises:

Thanks guys, I'm stoked!  :great:

Both are awesome bikes, but I think in the end the deciding factor was the H2SXSE+ only comes with a one year warranty and you can't even buy extensions from Kawi, factory supercharger is really cool but only a couple years old, anything going bad a couple years in could be expensive and painful, so odd that Kawi doesn't offer extensions, I think this is the first I've heard of a manufacture doing that?

Thx guys!

Yep DZ, that make 3 Ho's in the stable now, they make great bikes!

PNW weather is not playing nice this week with snow and rain, I couldn't wait anymore so her first ride was in the truck. Once home though was able to get her out for a quick rip, have to break it in so nothing crazy, but she felt great all around. Now home and bonding with her new stable mates.

Looks like the Hondas are raging war on the Gixer.LOL

Super jealous, what an amazing garage.  I'm still looking to add a Suzuki exactly like yours next to my Goldwing... which i also bought after following your reviews on that :))

Great looking bike(s)!! Congratulations on a very nice CBR 1000!!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

GrantE said:
Looks like the Hondas are raging war on the Gixer.LOL

;D

Old school n new school, the Gixxer's feeling out #'d but's got more boxes of dress's n shoes so basically owns the garage  :))

sininja said:
Super jealous, what an amazing garage.  I'm still looking to add a Suzuki exactly like yours next to my Goldwing... which i also bought after following your reviews on that :))

Thx, happy to help brother!  :great:

m in sc said:
love the heritage colors. well done, shes a beauty . that frame is all business!!!  :great: :motonoises:

Thx M, agreed on the heritage colors, one of my favorite bikes I never owned is the VF1000R, they still to this day are something that catches my eye and I troll for. This color scheme reminds me a lot of that, it just called to me, old school look with all new tech.  ;D

MAN OF BLUES said:
he's gonna get bored, and sell it.. it already has a ll the $$$ farkles delivered on it..  :)) :))

hey, ride safe and enjoy Jay.... I jealous ... well, not really, just poor...  ;)

:)) :)) :))

:truce:  It does comes with lots of goodies Rich but I think a couple refinements are still possible.  >:D

Full Akra Ti exhaust, custom stacks, & ecu flash maybe...  :eek: :motonoises:

Beautiful bike, can't wait to take'r for a spin.

I'm getting a pool for my 50th so my back yard does not look like this after it rains. :great:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM7LUncRRra0ZxI81M6G2DmmrlR_GIURC-q2gQF

I double every positive comment ZG! Amazing! Maybe there should be an emoji for : "we are not worthy" Thanks  :great:

My local shop offers pickup and delivery service, weather in the PNW lately is what you'd expect for this time of year, so they came and took 2 bikes and a bunch of boxes...

What could be getting done... ??  ;D  >:D

gsun said:
Knowing you, they will come out with different colours. :great:

For the SP... some custom design 3D printer air intakes "stacks" = more power  :great: :great:

ZG said:
For the SP... some custom design 3D printer air intakes "stacks" = more power  :great: :great:

did you do a fuel test on that plastic yet?  Just tossin it your way Jay.. would hate to find a "goo bomb".. I have a pal that made some butterflies, that seemed to be very high quality, from a mod drawing I gave him... (he previously pulled his, and can't find any now...) he 'tested' them quickly, and installed them, rode them, and 1 or 2 weeks later had "issues"... the goobered down to jellow, and glued the bottom fly's shut... not sure of his "material choices", but the material was a clinical grade plastic, that should have endured strong chemicals,high temps / autoclave-able,  as he used stuff for medical implant applications..
:-\ :truce: :truce:

MAN OF BLUES said:
ZG said:

did you do a fuel test on that plastic yet?  Just tossin it your way Jay.. would hate to find a "goo bomb".. I have a pal that made some butterflies, that seemed to be very high quality, from a mod drawing I gave him... (he previously pulled his, and can't find any now...) he 'tested' them quickly, and installed them, rode them, and 1 or 2 weeks later had "issues"... the goobered down to jellow, and glued the bottom fly's shut... not sure of his "material choices", but the material was a clinical grade plastic, that should have endured strong chemicals,high temps / autoclave-able,  as he used stuff for medical implant applications..
:-\ :truce: :truce:

Hey Rich, no worries, thanks for watching out for me, the final stacks are made with ONYX (?), per google Onyx is a fusion of engineering nylon and chopped carbon fibers, supposed to be really strong.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8cZVlXHpsN/

Have not seen red Onyx yet, I use it weekly in my Markforged machine and it is black, but this gives me ideas.

Thanks guys, it was a great day!

My girls asked if I'd rather have brownies, cake, or cookies..... I said yes please.  ;D

50 candles oh my, fire hazard!!  :eek:

Happy 1/2 Century Jay.  You're holding up well, so whatever you're doing, keep doing it.  Can't really say the same for myself.  Lost my hair about 30 years ago.  I've got more wrinkles than smooth skin.  Eyesight is going fast.  Oh well, it's better than the alternative.

A belated Happy Birthday! 

Gettin' close to the Harley years....  or will you become a GS man?  ;D

ZG said:
wayne-o said:

If I were to go naked the XSR900 would indeed be on the list, I like the 2020 color scheme, tank resembles the old RZ350 tank colors.  :great:

yeah right! like you're really going to leave it the same color! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

smooth_operator said:
yeah right! like you're really going to leave it the same color! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D

Mcfly said:
A belated Happy Birthday! 

Gettin' close to the Harley years....  or will you become a GS man?  ;D

Thx man, I've never had the Harley call to me, I think I'll just coast into into the comfy Goldwing years...  :bedtime2: :great: