• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What have you done to your _______(insert other bike here) today?

Bud said:
In the past few days, I replaced the springs, caps and rollers in the starter clutch of the 1983 GL650 Silverwing.  I reinstalled the rotor/starter clutch back on the crankshaft.  Replaced the cam seal, mechanical water pump seal and shift shaft seal in the rear cover.  Installed new rear cover gasket and rear cover on the engine.  Checked for proper operation of the shifting mechanism after reassembly.  This project isn't exactly speeding along, but I'm making progress.  It won't be too long and I"ll be putting the engine back in the frame.
Cool. I have a pretty full winter planned with other stuff but am contemplating a project bike. I turned down a Water Buffalo a while back before I knew I was going to retire a year early. Bumming now cuz I used to have one.

I picked up the Versys from the shop yesterday with the new brake disc on it. Nice. Today's plan is major tune up, spark plugs, new coolant and brake fluid. We'll see how far I get. Probably depends if I have to or want to re-shim.

retro exhaust on the softail

22050991_10211266371109684_2132031168089372443_o.jpg

New rubber on the tourer

22255175_10211315384654992_409941711638086148_o.jpg

77 in October here in Iowa is a nice treat so I got a good ride in this morning on the FZ10 before breaking out the Connie for a 2 UP ride with the Girlfriend.  Now the fun of cleaning the bugs off that beast.  Lots of nooks and crannies on the FZ10.  :rotflmao:

I did tear into the versys for the tune up, valves have not moved since last time 20k miles ago, All at maximum. I did by a Powerball ticket. :beerchug:

Did come upon a show stopper item, the pull cable on the throttle bodies is frazzled way thin. Hopefully Partzilla has 'em(ordered a spare) and gets 'em here soon as I plan a Friday departure for RTB. I do have the KLR for back up and it is ready to go.

Very excited!! New Woodcraft Rearsets arrive tomorrow for the FZ10!!! First set sold are mine!! Only been waiting on these since March!!!  :beerchug:

Woodcraft Reasets installed on the FZ10!!! They look killer and having the pegs farther back and up now is amazing!!! Top quality gear from Woodcraft Technologies!  :great:

Stoltec Moto is a great place to get these and other great products for the FZ10!!!  :great:  :beerchug:

dropped 1/2 lb of un-sprung weight on my project bike. (titanium hardware/laser cut 6061-t6 bracket).  converting all hardware on bike to Ti as well. :) this was doen by 1 of 2 lasers in the country of this type. that bracket too about 2 mins from material loading to in hand. there was a de-burring by hand and a pass w a da sander for finish.

goal is 7-9 lbs additional from where i am now. 

Attachments

• rdbracket-monospine-installed.jpg
    rdbracket-monospine-installed.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 127
Finally got the engine, complete with cooling system, back in my 1983 Honda GL650 Silverwing Interstate!  I started to replace one of the fork seals and broke a retaining ring that is not the easiest to find in stock.  :-[ I found one in Newburgh, so I took my GS1100GK for a little ride today.  It was a beautiful day to ride so it wasn't so bad breaking that retaining ring after all.  :motonoises: :)

Attachments

• 1983 GL650I Engine in frame.jpg
    1983 GL650I Engine in frame.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 126
m in sc said:
dropped 1/2 lb of un-sprung weight on my project bike. (titanium hardware/laser cut 6061-t6 bracket).  converting all hardware on bike to Ti as well. :) this was doen by 1 of 2 lasers in the country of this type. that bracket too about 2 mins from material loading to in hand. there was a de-burring by hand and a pass w a da sander for finish.

goal is 7-9 lbs additional from where i am now.
Pretty slick there Mark!

picked this up from deland, fla. winter project. 72 t-500.

should be ready by early spring.

(so, i transported it and took a short vacation with the girlfriend.)

72-t500-start_2_zps82zceewk.jpg

72-t500-start_10_zpsyew3jcfl.jpg

72-t500-start_6_zpsoqu9wlof.jpg

72-t500-start_5_zpswleznrxr.jpg

who remembers the 'horse shoe' headlights?

72-t500-start_4_zpst4hsqmmu.jpg

Let the 2 stroke resurrection party begin! :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:

It's starting to look like a motorcycle.

Attachments

• 1983 GL650I Forks Back On.jpg
    1983 GL650I Forks Back On.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 127
I had a mini bike when my neighbor took me for  a ride on his T 500.

Lots of conversations with the other kids trying to decide of the t 500 was faster than our local roller coaster, or not.

The thing I remember most is the smell.  He always ran the castor bean based oil and it smelled like a bakery.

SteveJ. said:
stevewfl said:
retro exhaust on the softail

22050991_10211266371109684_2132031168089372443_o.jpg

New rubber on the tourer

22255175_10211315384654992_409941711638086148_o.jpg

You bring that Softail over to the Last Blast?

Don't the exhaust tips drag on wheelies? :motonoises: ;D

fit new tank to chromoly framed rd, and also picked up a 1500 original mile mile 70 yamaha HS1 (thats a 90cc twin.)  got the 90 running in about an hour.

proj-tank-final_2_zps5uh3rbwa.jpg

HS1:

IMG-20171209-00849_zpsdlidespx.jpg

IMG-20171209-00851_zpszucmf60y.jpg

IMG-20171210-00861_zpszc0yupni.jpg

IMG-20171210-00860_zpsp1t8ktbr.jpg
  :)

Mark, where are you finding this stuff?  Might I ask what you paid for the HS1?  A 90cc twin......too cool!

Bud said:
Mark, where are you finding this stuff?  Might I ask what you paid for the HS1?  A 90cc twin......too cool!

hi bud, 2 strokes are just my thing... have been for 20+ years.  they sort of just 'come up', i hear about them, spot them in distant fields, etc.  im very involved in the vintage bike hobby, and networking is where 99% of it happens, i never LOOK for a project per say. ( i havent looked for anything on craigslist in 5+ years). people call, email, text, etc 'hey i found (this) here, interested? or i pass it along to the 'group', and vice versa. ive probably passed along 5 or 6 kawasaki triples leads this year alone. its like anything, really. and i help my friends get their vintage stuff running, etc.  same thing with old fords, i own a few and know them and hear about them a LOT, especially falcons/galaxies/fairlanes. also, im not in it to profit from it.

that hs1 was stupid cheap, i paid 200 for it, was the owners requested price. im not going to haggle when its reasonable. the t-500 was 800, same thing. but i had to go to fla to get it. thats the other thing, i dont try to beat them up on price if its fair, ever. even if i could save 100 bucks by going all 'american pickers' on them, which i think is in poor taste when the asking price reasonable. and when i sell them, i expect the same. i just sold my 89 dt50 yesterday for 200 more than i paid for it when i found it in 2015, held over in a dealership new since 1989. ( i did have to put soem work into it). it went to a good friend of mine in alabama, and while he was here we talked about 2 H1's and an 84 RZ350 he had leads on, which i don't want either but will pass them on to people i know who are interested. im sure the same thing goes on with early c10's, etc.

I decided to take a short ride on the 91 VFR750, around a 100miles yesterday.

Attachments

• 91 vfr.jpg
    91 vfr.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 124
Well this don't score high on the technically difficult to install scale, but after only 30 miles I think my hind quarters will be far more happy 500 miles into a good days ride.

This is the outcome of a '50% off up to $300.00' certificate from the 2017 National that came into my hands with a little bit of old fashioned "knee-go-she-eight-in". Thanks Andrew......

Attachments

• New_Seat.jpg
    New_Seat.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 128
degree of difficulty for farkle install does not necessarily correlate to amount of improvement in motorbike. You did great if after 30 miles the enjoyment level went up. Here's to many more miles  :great:

Took advantage of the short heatwave we're having.  It was 58 here today, so I got the front brakes bled on the Silverwing today.  I used the reverse method today for the first time.  It's easier that pumping on the brake lever for sure!

Yesterday was the first day above 32* after 2 weeks below freezing. Started her up. Bit of an argument but she ran after a bit of encouragement. Still can't leave the garage though......

Another mid 50's day in January!  Took my GS1100GK for a 40 mile ride just to keep her limbered up.  Got ole Suzi juiced up on some tcw3 for another round of winter hibernation.  Is it spring yet?

Attachments

• GK in yard 1.JPG
    GK in yard 1.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 115
Bud said:
Another mid 50's day in January!  Took my GS1100GK for a 40 mile ride just to keep her limbered up.  Got ole Suzi juiced up on some tcw3 for another round of winter hibernation.  Is it spring yet?

Juice the Suzi day indeed Bud, like Spring in January!  :49:

That GS is looking clean!  :great:

You guys must go through a lot of "StaBil". I remember one year it was like this I burned up a whole bottle of the stuff.  :motonoises:

Eh, it'll be spring soon enough, so I'll wait.  :great:

Almost blew up the Honda trying to jump start it. Didn't want to take out the battery to access the positive terminal so I tried a Rube Goldberg option. Didn't work out for me.  :-[  Fried a battery tender but got her going. Ice was gone from drive, access road is in mud season; so I said "What the heck" and took her for a ride. Some parts of the ride were in refrigerator mode as the snow alongside the asphalt was melting but not creating a run off. Instead; great banks of fog or condensation hung in the air and it felt like the temp dropped 15* as I rode through. But first ride of 2018! :motonoises:

Put a battery in the GL650 SilverWing today and fired it up for the first time since having the engine out to repair the starter clutch and rebuild the water pump.  There was NO slippage of the starter clutch and after a couple of smacks on the coolant pipe, no leaks from the cooling system.  :beerchug: I haven't gotten any new mufflers yet, so the neighbors had no problem hearing it run!  :motonoises: :motonoises: Now I have to figure out why it's idling too fast.

Finished up the Therm O Bob install a coupla days ago on the itty bitty six fiddy Versys. And just bought a Madstad for it. Scored a used one for $125 shipped.  :great:

NOW I can update this since I have another bike... I ordered highway pegs for the 2008 Wing. They're coming Friday.

ron203 said:
NOW I can update this since I have another bike... I ordered highway pegs for the 2008 Wing. They're coming Friday.

Is that your bike or Mrs203's?  :rotflmao: :nananana: :beerchug: :beerchug:

:-X

Happy Wife, Happy Life. (So long as she continues to let me live indoors I don't care.) ;)  She's taking some students out of town over spring break (London), so I plan a shakedown ride (or three).

It's part of what my co-worker calls "Retirement Prep & Practice." One more piece in the long range plan.

The Wing will be the long distance hauler that takes us places,while the C-14 goes with us in the toy hauler, TO places and also serves as the "day in the mountains with the boys" ride. 

Both combined < the cost of a new Wing.  I wasn't really looking for a Wing at this moment, but had toyed with the idea of getting one next year. Then I stumbled across this one at a good price. I think there's going to be a temporary slump in prices as the 2018's hit the market but that it'll rebound as the weather warms up, so I grabbed it.

I've got a little farkling to do in the next year or so.

ron203 said:
:-X

Happy Wife, Happy Life. (So long as she continues to let me live indoors I don't care.) ;)  She's taking some students out of town over spring break (London), so I plan a shakedown ride (or three).

It's part of what my co-worker calls "Retirement Prep & Practice." One more piece in the long range plan.

The Wing will be the long distance hauler that takes us places,while the C-14 goes with us in the toy hauler, TO places and also serves as the "day in the mountains with the boys" ride. 

Both combined < the cost of a new Wing.  I wasn't really looking for a Wing at this moment, but had toyed with the idea of getting one next year. Then I stumbled across this one at a good price. I think there's going to be a temporary slump in prices as the 2018's hit the market but that it'll rebound as the weather warms up, so I grabbed it.

I've got a little farkling to do in the next year or so.

Awesome.

Retirement prepping is very important. Stay diligent.

I'm paying VERY close attention to the pro's such as SteveJ.  ;)

I'm a great copycat...

many many cans of brake cleaner and scrubbing, all new seals, and the t500 bottom is ready for the new top end. (72 suzuki titan)
note the hammer marks on piston to left. thanks PO.  :-[  after frame and swingarm back from powdercoater, should be a pretty quick reassmebly. deadline: deals gap 2 stroke meet april 29-may 5th. 

Attachments

• t500-motor-cleanup_5.jpg
    t500-motor-cleanup_5.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 112
m in sc,

Keep reporting the build!
I had a first year (In USA) 68 in 70 bought from brother and a '70 in 99-2004

today rejetted the 1970 hs1 and modded the clutch as it was slipping (and installed a new one). the porting and chambers caused the stocker to give up the ghost. lol.  i did bring the parts home on the c10 as i rode it to work today.  :D

My first bike was a Honda Super 90. (68/69ish)
My buddy rode a Yamaha Twin Jet 100.
It would whip mine ...

Is the HS-1 that I'm remembering the Twin Jet?
Looks a little different.

Ride safe, Ted

Update: Just did a search and see that the Twin Jet was a YL-1. (Different bike)

T500 is.. almost.. done... lol.

(off to the powdercoaters!)

7 weeks till it needs to be done.

Attachments

• framed.jpg
    framed.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 116
frames back. shes a roller. Motor bolted in.... 3 weeks to go before i need it road ready... (72 t500)  :motonoises:

Attachments

• 20180402_085436.jpg
    20180402_085436.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 20180402_085523.jpg
    20180402_085523.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 20180402_085542.jpg
    20180402_085542.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 121
Cleaned the Wing and installed a charging plug in its left fairing pocket for a Garmin, along with a Battery tender pigtail on the bat'tre with an adapter for heated gear. Removed the armrests from the "Queen's Chair", and put on new Dunlop E-4's. Amazing how good new tires feel. Now, I just need somewhere to go. (I did do a one hour lunch ride today. 72 degrees and sunny!)

Next up a dual USB charger in the trunk and heated grips, along with a voltmeter and possibly a 2" taller windshield.

ron203 said:
Cleaned the Wing and installed a charging plug in its left fairing pocket for a Garmin, along with a Battery tender pigtail on the bat'tre with an adapter for heated gear. Removed the armrests from the "Queen's Chair", and put on new Dunlop E-4's. Amazing how good new tires feel. Now, I just need somewhere to go. (I did do a one hour lunch ride today. 72 degrees and sunny!)

Next up a dual USB charger in the trunk and heated grips, along with a voltmeter and possibly a 2" taller windshield.

I got me onna these for the six fiddy:

battery-monitor-information.jpg

http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php

Ships from UK. I bought the eclipse 8, about $25 shipped. Nice clean install, looks like a factory install.

Finished up the Super Tenere valve clearance inspection, plug regap, Arrow header install, TB synch, ecu reflash, clutch fluid flush, oil change, final drive fluid, coolant change, throttle cable lube, barkbuster install, new set of Mitas E07's, TPMS install, and started packing. It was a busy weekend in the shop.

And yes, the valve inspection is VERY invasive.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.JPG
    IMG_3282.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 121
worncog said:
Finished up the Super Tenere valve clearance inspection, plug regap, Arrow header install, TB synch, ecu reflash, clutch fluid flush, oil change, final drive fluid, coolant change, throttle cable lube, barkbuster install, new set of Mitas E07's, TPMS install, and started packing. It was a busy weekend in the shop.

The six fiddy Versys looks quite similar when checking the valves. It actually goes rather quickly though, considering the amount of stuff in the way. Do you have to pull the throttle bodies?

I see you're going to Cliff's, somewhere else before hand? Pretty sure I'm stopping in NOLA for a coupla three days on the way. I gotta kill some brain cells with an ex boss lady, it's on my "list". She lives near the Abita brewery. She's Coonass, this oughtta be good.

See ya at Cliff's.  :beerchug:

SteveJ. said:
ron203 said:

Ships from UK. I bought the eclipse 8, about $25 shipped. Nice clean install, looks like a factory install.

:great:
like it!

ron203 said:
SteveJ. said:
ron203 said:

:great:
like it!

Iff'n you or anyone else wants an installed pic, PM me your shoe phone number and I'll text you a pic. Posting from my Google account to here is a real PIA.

SteveJ. said:
worncog said:

The six fiddy Versys looks quite similar when checking the valves. It actually goes rather quickly though, considering the amount of stuff in the way. Do you have to pull the throttle bodies?

I see you're going to Cliff's, somewhere else before hand? Pretty sure I'm stopping in NOLA for a coupla three days on the way. I gotta kill some brain cells with an ex boss lady, it's on my "list". She lives near the Abita brewery. She's Coonass, this oughtta be good.

Oh yes, the throttle bodies come out...and then that hidden pea sized clump of dirt falls in. Both sides.

I might have to shift my schedule. Bike and I are ready to roll, but my required taskings may push me back a week. Ugh. That means I miss Cliff's rally.

I need to retire.

worncog said:
SteveJ. said:
worncog said:

Oh yes, the throttle bodies come out...and then that hidden pea sized clump of dirt falls in. Both sides.

I might have to shift my schedule. Bike and I are ready to roll, but my required taskings may push me back a week. Ugh. That means I miss Cliff's rally.

I need to retire.
Yes you do. Tick tock, the clock never stops.

I am saved from the pleasure of removing the Throttle bodies on the Vs but it is tight getting the cover in and out.

I set the valves at max at about 11k miles. Virtually no movement at 34k. Awesome. Of course I ride like a little old lady.  :rotflmao: :motonoises: :motonoises: :beerchug:

Ok so I added 3 Ram mounts to the H2 SX. I also added a small XScreen to the top of the windshield. With no full larger screens made for this yet I'm hoping to keep the morning cool wind off me. Not to mention keeping rain out of my face.

Attachments

• IMG_0987a.jpg
    IMG_0987a.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 138
t500 lives. https://youtu.be/9oq8Bt-GtyI

down to cosmetics. 3d printed sidecover and tank emblems.

tank (to be printed) and sidecover. (sidecover was printed clear, black was painted on back, silver on ft.)

Attachments

• t500-tank-logo-image.JPG
    t500-tank-logo-image.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Resized_20180415_165936.jpg
    Resized_20180415_165936.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 113
Took the SilverWing out for a little test ride in the country yesterday!  It only had the H-box that connects the headers on without mufflers.  Pretty loud, but overall a good first ride.  I'm pretty impressed with the Prolink rear suspension that Honda put on this bike.  Very comfortable smooth ride! :motonoises: :motonoises:

Honda ST1300. Removed rear tire/wheel to take it in and have the tire shop fix the slow leak it's had ever since they mounted it last spring. Very small piece of a rubber tire "nipple" was trapped between tire and rim. So that's done.
Replaced the twin Siameesed bearings in the bevel drive. I've had them since last spring also when I noticed during the tire change one wasn't turning very smooth.
Intended to replace the rear brake pads also, as they are getting way worn down. Figured I would give the local dealership some business as they have been close on price for some misc snowmobile and bike maintainence stuff. OEM pads supposedly interchange with Goldwings. After some searching and cross referencing part numbers they came up with a couple different composition options. After some several wasted minutes of trying to fit the rotor into the caliper with fully compressed pistons it was obvious the pads were incorrectly too thick. Back to the dealer and the only other set was the same way. Turns out fronts and back pads are the "same" except the front rotors are thinner and fitted with thicker pads. Aftermarket suppliers make them all thin enough to fit front/back, but OEM are front or back specific. Ended up putting the old ones (original Nissin branded) back in until I order a set. Was a bit frustrating.

I changed the rear tire on the Honda. 1st time tire change. Took an hour to actually change the tire . I think with a little more technique  that can be cut dramatically. But I used to spend an hour just driving back and forth to repair shop with the tires to be changed. Then sat around waiting; which could have been another hour or more. Bead seated at 22 PSI. Not at all dissatisfied.

Attachments

• balanced.jpg
    balanced.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 109
  • mounted.jpg
    mounted.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 116
  • bad tire off.jpg
    bad tire off.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 115
  • ready for dismount.jpg
    ready for dismount.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 120
Rode my 1970 CL350 about 75 miles tonight. Discovered a new problem to fix, if I drive at close to 70 mph for several miles the velocity of the intake air will over come the "notch" holding the choke open and suck my choke closed, which of course then makes the motor run bad.  Ah, another problem to fix. 

Attachments

• 20180517_181107 (2).jpg
    20180517_181107 (2).jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 129
m in sc said:
t500 lives. https://youtu.be/9oq8Bt-GtyI

down to cosmetics. 3d printed sidecover and tank emblems.

tank (to be printed) and sidecover. (sidecover was printed clear, black was painted on back, silver on ft.)

A T500 was my first bike...!  Brings back memories... :motonoises:

VisionDonNebr said:
Rode my 1970 CL350 about 75 miles tonight. Discovered a new problem to fix, if I drive at close to 70 mph for several miles the velocity of the intake air will over come the "notch" holding the choke open and suck my choke closed, which of course then makes the motor run bad.  Ah, another problem to fix.
mine used to do that! had one when i was 21.. drove me nuts (as i used it to commute on it back then).  had forgotten about that.
deeper groove on the shaft cam helped via a file

A T500 was my first bike...!  Brings back memories... :motonoises:

did a week at deals gap with it and my RD just a week or so ago for the 2 stroke meet. It did great.

DSCI0372_zpsjilxk9nr.jpg

This is in the other bike section because it's my son's C10.  This is a project that has been going on for too long.  Both of us have worked on this.  It has been off the road for a few years for upgrade work.  It has :ZX9 forks, brakes and front wheel.  Tapered roller steering head bearings.  1 inch bars that taper to 7/8 inch at the grips with pro taper risers.  Spiegler front brake lines and clutch line.  Barnett custom length throttle cables.  A meanstreak rear wheel.  A Corbin seat for the moment.  Madstad windshield off of my 05, while it's down for a fairing replacement.  The headlight was damaged when he got it so it was replaced with a good one that also had the protector installed.  I repaired 2 broken tabs on the upper fairing and fixed a broken tab on one of the turn signals.  It has not one, but two cup holders in holes the previous owner cut for speakers.  The oil and filter have been changed.  The final drive oil has been changed.  The coolant has been changed as well as a good scrubbing of the coolant recovery tank.  The valves have been adjusted as well as a new valve cover gasket.  The tires are Pirelli Angel GT's.  The fuel in the tank was dumped and replaced with fresh gas.  The petcock was also replaced with a brand new one. 

My first comment is that the wheel, tire and fork upgrades have transformed the feel of the bike completely.  It handles a lot better than before and deals with bumps better.  I'm amazed that the carbs managed to take that much sitting and come back to life running great!  I attribute that to running 2 stroke mix from a test tank from time to time.  First start, it fired right up with the enricher.  After a bit of running and coaxing, the high speed jets cleared and it runs like a top!  I really feel like we were lucky to have dodged the "plugged up carbs" bullet.

For a 1987 (same age as my son Bud) with 100,247 miles, I think it's a pretty nice bike.  My hope is that he keeps it FOREVER! 

Attachments

• 1987 C10.jpg
    1987 C10.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 139
  • 1987 C10 Dash.jpg
    1987 C10 Dash.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 128
Very nice , wouldn't even think it's a Frankenbike! It was a labor of love and that might make your wish come true.  :great:

Bud said:
This is in the other bike section because it's my son's C10.  This is a project that has been going on for too long.  Both of us have worked on this.  It has been off the road for a few years for upgrade work.  It has :ZX9 forks, brakes and front wheel.  Tapered roller steering head bearings.  1 inch bars that taper to 7/8 inch at the grips with pro taper risers.  Spiegler front brake lines and clutch line.  Barnett custom length throttle cables.  A meanstreak rear wheel.  A Corbin seat for the moment.  Madstad windshield off of my 05, while it's down for a fairing replacement.  The headlight was damaged when he got it so it was replaced with a good one that also had the protector installed.  I repaired 2 broken tabs on the upper fairing and fixed a broken tab on one of the turn signals.  It has not one, but two cup holders in holes the previous owner cut for speakers.  The oil and filter have been changed.  The final drive oil has been changed.  The coolant has been changed as well as a good scrubbing of the coolant recovery tank.  The valves have been adjusted as well as a new valve cover gasket.  The tires are Pirelli Angel GT's.  The fuel in the tank was dumped and replaced with fresh gas.  The petcock was also replaced with a brand new one. 

My first comment is that the wheel, tire and fork upgrades have transformed the feel of the bike completely.  It handles a lot better than before and deals with bumps better.  I'm amazed that the carbs managed to take that much sitting and come back to life running great!  I attribute that to running 2 stroke mix from a test tank from time to time.  First start, it fired right up with the enricher.  After a bit of running and coaxing, the high speed jets cleared and it runs like a top!  I really feel like we were lucky to have dodged the "plugged up carbs" bullet.

For a 1987 (same age as my son Bud) with 100,247 miles, I think it's a pretty nice bike.  My hope is that he keeps it FOREVER!

Really like the cupholder liners.  :great:

Don, just put a little dab of JB Weld on that choke. It won't give you any more problems!

Yer welcome!

:))

Thanks Jerry but sometimes I do need it to close..at least for a short time.  Did some filing, found a better tab on a junk 450 Honda twin carb  in my shed, some bending, hopefully problem has now gone a way (but I haven't tested it yet.) 

The Honda finally got a complete set of new shoes. Got my own tire changer cause it was such a hassle to get tires changed. No close independent shop to bring wheels with new rubber for a change. Dealer stopped matching internet prices and raised the price and the amount of time waiting for a tire change. Read where one of our members shared my frustration and bought a tire changer. I said I could do that. 1st tire took an hour to change (just the tire, getting it off and on is another story), 2nd only about 20 minutes from dismount to balancing. Technique is acquired and things go faster. But how do I tell the GF that my 2 tire changes only cost $500 each?

My Triumph Bonneville is getting new pads/rotors,calipers, master cylinder and the forks are getting a good going over to make the bike safe again. I'll be doing the small stuff later, air cleaners, fuel/oil lines, fuel taps, peg rubbers, etc...

Hmmm...crickets. I can hear the crickets.

Anyhow, I just put a Shoodaben Engineering sticker on my 650 Versys. SiSF flashed her up yesterday. I like.

The bike is also getting a new chain and sprockets and new rear tire in anticipation of the COG September Trifecta. Should be close to 4k miles. I did manage to wear out a set of tires plus an extra rear on my recent four month Roadtrek/ride about.

Hiya Sailor Rich. Here is a copy of what I posted on the Versys forum yesterday.

Oh, and say howdy to Canadian Steve and Mrs. Canadian Steve iffn you run into them for me.

My '15 got flashed today.

I rode over to Steve in Sunny FL's house this morning. Both of our intent was to compare my stock bike with now over 46k miles on it to his bike with his flash in it over a varying route and nit pick on the flash. We did maybe 10-20% of the route and I told Steve that I want it. So we cut the ride short and went back to his place to do the deed. It's done.

One of the things that I requested is to mellow out the throttle response in the very low rpms to help with off road riding. This he accomplished. When on the pegs the throttle is much easier modulate. This only comes into play below 3k rpm so the mid range and higher is not affected. This is truly awesome.

Speaking of mid range, a noticeable improvement in smartly applied throttle. Where I used to get a rush around 6k or better, now that rush is not so pronounced because the bike is already making good power. Throttle response and performance is much improved in the 3k and up range. 4k actually has some umph now.

One more thing, Steve set the cooling fan to come on ten degrees cooler. Seems to work well with my Therm o Bob.

All in all, I like it. It ain't 100hp, but, oh well. The low-mid range extra punch and response is welcome and the reduced response below 3k is just plain awesome.

Gonna head up to the north GA mountains after Labor Day to really have some fun with it. Yeehaw.

My '15 650 Versys got it's brain's electrons manipulated at Shoodaben Engineering yesterday. Steve is definitely talented. This bike now runs like it should and proudly wears the Shoodaben Engineering sticker.

Today she got a new rear tire mounted up and is also getting an oil transfusion. Getting ready for a week or two up in the Smoly Mountains.

Installed Projekt D helmet locks on the rack. They should be standard equipment. $65 and about 15 minutes.

I managed to pile more stuff on top of the Super Tenere as part of the return from evacuation/Barbers/two BDR/return from Seattle cleanup. I'll eventually get to wash the desert off of it... just not sure when.

At least my wife considers it somewhat normal to have a dirt bike on the patio. That will wear off soon. :)

First oil change done (by me) on my 2014 CTX 700 today  Oil filter had me worried for a moment but using an "official Honda" oil filter socket it soon came off.  At least Honda is nice enough to sale you at a reasonable price a package with an oil filter and the socket to take the filter off with. Otherwise it was sure easier to change than my (now gone) C10 was.

No more problems with my 1970 CL350, rode it in the "Gentleman's" fund raiser on a cold (about 50 degrees)  misty sometimes light rainy Sunday in Omaha, NE.  Can't say I enjoyed the ride much on that miserable day but the old 350 ran perfect all day (did about 70 miles).  Day did not end perfect however got home, took a picture of my now very dirty classic bike that should not have to go out in the rain, in looking at the picture notice the old girl had spit out the left turn signal-fender bolt and not a bolt you can go to your local hardware store and buy.  Runs perfect all day but has to spit out this hard to replace bolt!  I did find a bolt in my pile the correct threads and length then put a piece of rubber hose where the original bolt is thick, it will work till I find an original. 

No, I couldn't skip the ride, I had pledges to fulfill.

ron203 said:
Installed heated grips on my '08 GL 1800 Goldwing.

Seems like an appropriate time of year to do that.

I thought about turning on my grips a couple of days ago.

Have fun up there.

I just rode my bike to the prison this morning as the sun was just coming up.  Lots of low hanging clouds and fog in places.  You could see the hillsides covered in the fog with just the tops of the clouds coming up.  Temp was 36.5F.  Nice with heated gear.  It was a beautiful ride.

The way back wasn't like I had thought it would be.  The Puget Sound Convergence Zone changed the actual weather to a light sprinkle.  It was supposed to be clear and dry.  Oh well...that's what we are used to here.  Temp rose to 41F.

Chris

Honda fired right up, air in tires was good; GF and I went for a ride on the first day of the year. Thermometer said 50, wind speed was in the low 20's so was a bit brisk at 55 MPH but it felt good!