• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What have you done to your _______(insert other bike here) today?

Well what ain't perty gets covered up! :nananana: :nananana: ;D

Attachments

• 20200513_123058_HDR.jpg
    20200513_123058_HDR.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 142
Back to the CL..........

'Bout time to cross the Rubicon. Have some machine work to do for a (non-COG) fella out in WA State, and once done with that, going to slip the cylinders down over the pistons and start piecing this thing back together. We’ll see how far we go beyond that as the day (and my disposition) progresses.

IMG_6018-XL.jpg

IMG_6015-XL.jpg

connie_rider said:
Good luck.
  {I know about your disposition}  :truce:

Ride safe, Ted

Nah, you really don't.

The piece I am working on is tough - really tough - much more so than the suspension links I did for you. Didn't get to the CL, but may hit that up today before I get back in front of the machine tools. I have three other pieces (in quantities of 10 each) I need to make for a local, and the last bit of material for those came in yesterday.

fit some factory engine guards to the '14 CB1100. Luckily they bolt to the frame, are small and luckily effective from reports of crashes with them. So, nothing exciting, thats for sure. 

Ooorah!

Cut 11 blanks to replicate the piece at the bottom of the pix. Final sizing and finishing is next. Will need to cut blanks for the two pieces on the left, followed by final sizing and finishing on them as well. These are for vintage bikes and they are no longer available anywhere.

Img_6032-XL.jpg

After I finished the above machine work for the day, moved on to dropping the cylinder back on the top of the crankcase. Little lube on the bottom taper and bore of each sleeve, some Kroil around the periphery of the clamps for the rings, and the cylinder dropped into place with ease and no drama. Replacing the head is next, but that will happen on another day.

Img_6024-XL.jpg

Img_6027-XL.jpg

Img_6028-XL.jpg

Another little project - making a spanner nut for an older Honda CB/CM 400:

Making "worms." Sorry for the lousy vid. Hand held with greasy hands and too close:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-Repair/Spanner-Socket/i-6WMwTfk/0/513bc705/640/MVI_6038-640.mp4

Img_6040-XL.jpg

Img_6042-XL.jpg

Took the madstad windshield off my 05 and put it on my son's 87.  Took the rifle off the 87 and put it on my 05.

Installed a shim under a sloppy fitting top case and took the Honda out for 2 hours. Forgot about the top case when I didn't hear it bouncing anymore on its carrier Fun time!

connieklr said:
Another little project - making a spanner nut for an older Honda CB/CM 400:

Making "worms." Sorry for the lousy vid. Hand held with greasy hands and too close:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-Repair/Spanner-Socket/i-6WMwTfk/0/513bc705/640/MVI_6038-640.mp4

Img_6040-XL.jpg

Img_6042-XL.jpg

The end result - Honda CM/CB Clutch Spanner Nut Socket:

IMG_6049-XL.jpg

Img_6061-XL.jpg

Img_6057-XL.jpg

IMG_6063-XL.jpg

After taking a break by getting involved with the machine work, and with too many irons in the fire, decided to take care of some easy stuff by shifting gears again from turning metal, to turning wrenches; back to the CL. Had all the parts from the crankcase and on up, so time to just get it put back together. No drama and no issues that I’m aware of, so things went back together fairly quickly. Do need to get back to making some small parts for some vintage bikes for a fella, and will try to get the engine stuffed back in the frame tomorrow.

Img_6064-XL.jpg

IMG_6076-XL.jpg

Well after seeing that complete engine back together, tomorrow never came so might as well take care of the "brutal" stuff now. As mentioned, I had too many irons in the fire at one time, so going to take care of the easiest one first and the CL going again.

IMG_6079-XL.jpg

IMG_6078-XL.jpg

Well, Sunday...rode the ZombieStomper TW-200 on a rough trail ride with some really experienced KTM riders. Douglas Creek area off Palisades WA. Rocky, rough, 20 water crossings some deep. I am sore but survived and have some great memories.

Attachments

• trail ktms.JPG
    trail ktms.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 142
  • trio_1.JPG
    trio_1.JPG
    340.2 KB · Views: 164
  • trio_2.JPG
    trio_2.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 135
connieklr said:
After taking a break by getting involved with the machine work, and with too many irons in the fire, decided to take care of some easy stuff by shifting gears again from turning metal, to turning wrenches; back to the CL. Had all the parts from the crankcase and on up, so time to just get it put back together. No drama and no issues that I’m aware of, so things went back together fairly quickly. Do need to get back to making some small parts for some vintage bikes for a fella, and will try to get the engine stuffed back in the frame tomorrow.

Img_6064-XL.jpg

IMG_6076-XL.jpg

Well after seeing that complete engine back together, tomorrow never came so might as well take care of the "brutal" stuff now. As mentioned, I had too many irons in the fire at one time, so going to take care of the easiest one first and the CL going again.

IMG_6079-XL.jpg

IMG_6078-XL.jpg

We've moved on from the above. Pipes installed as were the shields, and all the other necessary stuff to finally get it running today on an auxiliary fuel source. No apparent oil leaks thus far, but had a ****ens of a time with the carbs wanting to puke fuel out of their overflows. Finally got things tamed down, and the leaking has stopped for the moment. The carbs were a disaster when I first got the bike from sitting with our lovely fuel in them, which included replacing one of the floats (a hole), and both of the float valves. We've gone through them several times correcting this and that, so nothing surprises me at present. Frustrating, but what can you do when dealing with a relic/survivor?

Also found that one of the rear fender mounting grommets and support spacers was missing. Found the grommets (NOS) on-line, and I will turn a new spacer tomorrow myself. Once that is done, we'll schlep it off the property when my wife isn't looking and take for a spin down the road.

IMG_6086-XL.jpg

IMG_6085-XL.jpg

ZXtasy said:
Well, Sunday...rode the ZombieStomper TW-200 on a rough trail ride with some really experienced KTM riders. Douglas Creek area off Palisades WA. Rocky, rough, 20 water crossings some deep. I am sore but survived and have some great memories.

:great: :great:

from the last time the sun was out.

to dads, store, and a few country back roads. 109 miles solo, zero issues. like a top.  I miss the sun.  :motonoises:

20200523_174512.jpg

20200513_193606.jpg

20200523_194624.jpg

Beautiful machine! Hows the lower back after 100 miles? Old enough now that a cruiser reminds me of back issues with every bump....

thanks. It was fine, really good actually, im approaching 50, so i get it. way better than cruisers with the 'flying starfish" positon, forward controls. they tend to shoot a bump straight up your spine.  :eek: the 500 is comfy to me.  :great:

m in sc said:
from the last time the sun was out.

to dads, store, and a few country back roads. 109 miles solo, zero issues. like a top.  I miss the sun.  :motonoises:

20200523_174512.jpg

20200513_193606.jpg

20200523_194624.jpg

Love that color M!  :great:

thanks! painted it myself.

everything on that bike was done by me including the crank. Only 3 things i didn't do myself was (actually) bore the cyls, sent that out, and apply the powdercoat to the frame., and mount the tires to the rims.

tank, fresh paint.

20180416_180643-rotated.jpg

i even modelled and drafted the tank emblems(3d printed) , which is actually the logo design they used in the 60s, but never on a 500 tank.

20180420_173954-rotated.jpg

Rolled out my 73 T500 from it's winter parking slot.
Was planning on a ride but...
Need the battery charged.
Maybe ride tomorrow.

Took my '05 FJR ABS to a friend's shop last Saturday for a valve clearance check. 63,500 miles and all intakes and exhausts are still in spec. No shim changes needed. We changed plugs, and coolant and I rode it home. Changed oil and rear drive gear lube yesterday. All it needs is a washing and it can go up for sale. I must say, I like that bike. I love my '14 FJR ES, but this one seems a bit more spirited. It could be that it's 40 pounds lighted than the newer one.

I hate to say it, but I'm not riding enough to keep four machines happy. Next up, pull out the '01 Connie (Bluto) and put it back together. That bike brings back a lot of great memories.

After spending about a month working on the C14, started showing some love to the KLR.  It's a 2008 that I purchased in 2017 with less than 500 miles.  Previous owner tried to de-badge it but gouged the plastics pretty bad.  Decided to repaint it while doing some other maintenance.  Learning to paint has been slow going but I'm getting there and at the end of the day, it's a KLR!  I upgraded the doohickey and installed a torsion spring (factory spring had zero tension with less than 7k miles on the clock), fixed the deep hole problem with the spacer from Eagle Mike and installed a thermo-bob coolant bypass.  The fluids are all refilled.  I'm doing various maintenance tasks as I wait for dry times.  Next up is the brake fluid.  I also installed LED headlights and dashboard lights (same bulb as the C14 city lights so I had a bunch left) and I'm waiting for my rally dash and oil bango bolts from RMATV.  I'm enjoying working on the bikes...don't know why I waited so long to dig in.  I'm past the point of no return on the paint so I'm just going to have to figure it out and get it done as best I can..

viffer_pilot said:
After spending about a month working on the C14, started showing some love to the KLR.  It's a 2008 that I purchased in 2017 with less than 500 miles.  Previous owner tried to de-badge it but gouged the plastics pretty bad.  Decided to repaint it while doing some other maintenance.  Learning to paint has been slow going but I'm getting there and at the end of the day, it's a KLR!  I upgraded the doohickey and installed a torsion spring (factory spring had zero tension with less than 7k miles on the clock), fixed the deep hole problem with the spacer from Eagle Mike and installed a thermo-bob coolant bypass.  The fluids are all refilled.  I'm doing various maintenance tasks as I wait for dry times.  Next up is the brake fluid.  I also installed LED headlights and dashboard lights (same bulb as the C14 city lights so I had a bunch left) and I'm waiting for my rally dash and oil bango bolts from RMATV.  I'm enjoying working on the bikes...don't know why I waited so long to dig in.  I'm past the point of no return on the paint so I'm just going to have to figure it out and get it done as best I can..

You may also want to upgrade the rear subframe bolts if considering using the KLR like a mule as intended.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ditto that. I did the upgrade to my 2002 shortly after I got it in '03. My drill-through upgrade came from a Chris Krok (no longer doing KLR stuff),  but I'm sure Eagle Mike and other versions are just as suitable. Chris' stuff also came with other bolts to replace, and i've just about carried the world on the back of my bike, over some pretty rough terrain, with no issues or failures.

It's a fairly low cost, worthwhile investment. Danged sight cheaper than having to get get towed out of the brush when the rear of the bike decides to take a nap.

Heading out to the GDR:
Img_2052-XL.jpg

klr is the ultimate zombie apocalypse bike, i swear. they can do no wrong.  :motonoises: :great: (except be too tall for my comfort)  :mad:

m in sc said:
klr is the ultimate zombie apocalypse bike, i swear. they can do no wrong.  :motonoises: :great: (except be too tall for my comfort)  :mad:

They have a tendency to break collar bones too when they pitch you off in the rocks.  :??:

I eventually put lowering links on mine. My inseam began to shrink as I got older, and there were too many circumstances when you go to put a foot down and there ain't nuttin' there. Not a comfy feeling when the bike is loaded to the gills.

I eventually installed a lowering rocker on the Concours, which made it a lot more manageable too.

ZXtasy said:
Nice looking trio of Doohickeyed KiLleRs!!!!

BNW GS's kiss my a**!

This was at a friends place up in Luray, VA just before we took off for a straight-thru run to Duluth on the way to Port Roosville, MT and the start of the GDR.

All three of the 'hickeys were changed out in that dark building in the rear about 7 mos. earlier. The two on the left were broken, but mine wasn't. Dave Jakeman's (now deceased) Sagebrush Engineering made ours.

The two on the left have been sold or parted out, but mine is still running strong with 54,500 on the ODO.

Installed a fancy new custom seat from Terry Adcox on my 650 Versus. No long rides yet but initial feel is awesome. Frugal pricing and a good guy to do business with. He and his wife must be doing something right, as of 3 weeks ago he was booked out to November.

Perfect colour on the insulator.  :great:
Now go thrash the crap out of it! <brrrrrrring-ding-ding-ding>  :motonoises:

nice... extremely nice.. big sweet spot in my heart for old Yammi's.. (worked for them when I was a sprout...)..
I imagine that L/C version is pretty quiet, compared to an A/C model..  ;) :)

SteveJ. said:
Installed a fancy new custom seat from Terry Adcox on my 650 Versus. No long rides yet but initial feel is awesome. Frugal pricing and a good guy to do business with. He and his wife must be doing something right, as of 3 weeks ago he was booked out to November.
Had terry do my Connie’s seat love it...

Got to do some preventative maintenance on the S1000XR.

Oil and Filter change, Brake fluid flush front and rear and a new air filter.
Got replace some of those beat up (obnoxious) push pins the hold the faring in place too.  Bonus!
Reset [Service Reminder] light and message on instrument display. (It blocks the engine temperature until it's turned off
Don't wanna know what that costs at BMW)

Total time 3.5 Hours.... 
Oil and filter change: 20 minutes
Brake bleeding: 45 minutes
Changing Air filter: 10 minutes
Buttoning up plastics: 30 minutes (a real PITA getting the Air filter cover plastics on right)

Finding the air filter I purchased 6 months ago: 1.5 hours  :-[ :-[ :-[

My cost: $77 for fluids and parts.

IMG_1042_heic-L.jpg

All I have left is Fork oil change, and that's 4k miles away. (Next service)

Test ride will have to wait...  Thunder/lightning/wind/rain conveniently showed up as I was cleaning up.  :(

Mcfly said:
Got to do some preventative maintenance on the S1000XR.

Oil and Filter change, Brake fluid flush front and rear and a new air filter.
Got replace some of those beat up (obnoxious) push pins the hold the faring in place too.  Bonus!
Reset [Service Reminder] light and message on instrument display. (It blocks the engine temperature until it's turned off
Don't wanna know what that costs at BMW)

Total time 3.5 Hours.... 
Oil and filter change: 20 minutes
Brake bleeding: 45 minutes
Changing Air filter: 10 minutes
Buttoning up plastics: 30 minutes (a real PITA getting the Air filter cover plastics on right)

Finding the air filter I purchased 6 months ago: 1.5 hours  :-[ :-[ :-[

My cost: $77 for fluids and parts.

IMG_1042_heic-L.jpg

All I have left is Fork oil change, and that's 4k miles away. (Next service)

Test ride will have to wait...  Thunder/lightning/wind/rain conveniently showed up as I was cleaning up.  :(
Cool.

Had new tires installed at an excellent indy shop in Hamilton, MT, last Monday.

repaired oil leak under waterpump on same rd as above fri/sat, had to remake water pump adapter, threads got pulled from a lowside almost 3? years ago and finally worked loose. lathed up a new drive bushing, and repainted cover, etc. new plate made from 7075-t651 series aluminum i had laying around.  Last one out of 6061 made it 16 years and survived 2 crashes.

pump is from a tz350.

simplicity

lc-pump-remount_02.jpg

curing the new clutch-cover paint on the hood of my 66 galaxie after it had dried a few hours, was like 97 degrees out. 

lc-pump-remount_04.jpg

aluminum blank off plate for old oil injection and cable.

lc-pump-remount_08.jpg

drip free in the garage. Both my 62 and the rd are 'wimbledon white'

lc-pump-remount_01.jpg

Had a 66 mustang I painted Wimbledon white and the 62 econoline truck might have been the same color.  I miss that truck.
Nice work as always!

I put new shoes on the Honda. Had a great experience with Roadsmart 111 on the Connie, 9100 miles with a lot of 2 up. It worked out that both bikes needed tires at the same time. 7000 on Pilot road 2 for the Honda and cost about $60 less per set. I really loved the wet traction I had with the 111's, even after 6000 miles. Spoiled the little girl with oil and primary drive change, grease on shifter barrel but should have done brake pads...... In a 1000 miles

Can't hardly believe 9K on RS111, have about 3K on mine and they look half worn. So anyway, decided at 45K miles and 15 years on my trusty 05 ZX-10 it was ready for fuel sock R&R. 15 bucks for 3!! So I get to do my son's 07 ZX-10. Was not too nasty, took my time and was done in an hour.

Attachments

• 20200725_110105.jpg
    20200725_110105.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 172
ZXtasy said:
Can't hardly believe 9K on RS111, have about 3K on mine and they look half worn. So anyway, decided at 45K miles and 15 years on my trusty 05 ZX-10 it was ready for fuel sock R&R. 15 bucks for 3!! So I get to do my son's 07 ZX-10. Was not too nasty, took my time and was done in an hour.

I'm sure we have different riding styles I still had 2 or 3 chicken strips on the edges of the tread  :))

Is that amount of debris considered normal for the mileage or time? Amazing engine to perform through that

Yeah, riding styles and local pavement/temperatures/moon phases...so may variables!! As far as that filter, I have seen worse with lower mileage bikes, so I think it is about average for that many miles. I am usually pretty picky about fill ups and fuel.
l

Sooo, I changed my son's fuel filter a few minutes ago and OMG, it was nasty! Now his ZX-10 is a 2007, about 24K miles, and has sat mostly for the last 3 years. Long story, it was stolen by a local (Spokanistan) Russian bike theft ring around 2015. He found it a month later after it had been abortionized, but he got it back. I spent a month helping him get it roadworthy again and we took an epic ride the breadth of Wa State on US 20 that was captured in Rider Magazine in 2017. He then embarked on 2 years of re schooling and multiple job changes as a biomedical tech, and the bike has sat...a lot.

So fast forward and he is ready to refresh the ride and get back to the roads, and his cousin and he agree to repaint the bastardized bike and new plastics. My nephew is a brilliant body and paint guy. My nephew and I conspire about a 'custom' paint job keeping my son out of the loop. We are all fans of the Coen Bros and the movie The Big Lebowski. With the fact the bike was stolen by Russians and my boy wanting a white paint job, the White Russian thing was a natural. We came up with some other subtle graphics and it is awesome I think.

Anyways since the tank was off and I had spare filter socks, we pulled his and it was a blob of gray glump! Can't believe he got any fuel pressure. It is off to Bend, OR to be re-assembled  and we hope to ride in September. Here are some pics of the skins.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20200724_184210(1).jpg
    Resized_Resized_20200724_184210(1).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 169
  • Resized_Resized_20200724_193923.jpg
    Resized_Resized_20200724_193923.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Resized_Resized_20200724_202244.jpg
    Resized_Resized_20200724_202244.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Resized_Resized_20200724_202257.jpg
    Resized_Resized_20200724_202257.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 154
Love that white! Great graphics artist!

Rte. 20 is awesome, hope your riding weather is dry for September  :great:

I pulled out my dual sport and gave it some time on the road. Part way through the ride she started stalling and had decreased power. Partway back home she stuttered a bit and came back to life. My guess is aged fuel telling me I have neglected her.

In June I went up to Shelton, WA and took the Yamaha Champions Riding School 2-day Champ Course. I was definitely one of the SLOW folk in attendance and that got me a one-to-one instructor/student ratio for most of the time. Perfect.

Going into this class I thought I was reasonably fast for a guy on an ST type bike. Very quickly I learned that I knew pretty much nothing about going fast and safe. Humbling. There were guys who were reaching 160 - 180 MPH on the long front straight (R6, MT-10, Ducati, etc.). Me? I felt a little froggy on the first afternoon and got up to 120 MPH before letting off. I also learned that riding a motorcycle can be a very athletic activity. My legs were so sore after the first day I had to skip some of the riding the next day.

One of the high points of being there was Roger Hayden was part of the staffing for the class. This is Nicky Haydens' brother and like all truly great people, he is unassuming and pleasant to everyone. He was rocking a R3 around the track.

Even though I was like 3rd from slowest in the class, I did manage to put some stress on the rear tire and am sharing a photo of my accomplishment for everyone to enjoy.

Attachments

• FJR Rear Tire.jpg
    FJR Rear Tire.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 173
Took the Beemer for a 50 mile ride. Runs good, puked a little gas out the right float bowl when I put it on reserve. Not leaking now. 45mpg. Still not used to the German way of bikes.  ;D

Even though I was like 3rd from slowest in the class, I did manage to put some stress on the rear tire and am sharing a photo of my accomplishment for everyone to enjoy.

Good for you!!
Roger H. is a sweet southern boy....

I installed a new seat.  Got an AirHawk Seat. 

Much more comfortable than the factory bench.

61956952337__2D38A6EA-305B-4FCB-9EAA-0740A16813D7-L.jpg

Integrated pump and release valve for air bladder built into seat:

IMG_1081-M.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OpoqOx5UbAk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rode the customized Bandit 1250 done for a friend, even though tabs are expired by a year. He is supposed to send them or come get it, but probably not until the snow flies. Hrrmph!

Loaned the Honda to a friend while I rode the C14. He showed me the bike can get 235 miles out of a tank of fuel. He thought he was on fumes as the needle didn't register above "E". The bike still had another .4 gallon in it. Could have easily made the next fuel station instead of the 1st one we came upon  :))

Have done a little more "stuff" to the '67 CL77, but mainly sticking this up here to try out the new forum.
  • Fixed a crack in the rear fender. It's chrome, so just tacked it in a couple of places to (hopefully) keep the crack from migrating any further.
  • Welded the broken mounting tab on the chain guard, and hit it with a coat of paint.
  • After a slow leak in the aged rear tube, replaced front and rear tires/tubes. Decided to go one size up on each. Looks more like the CL I had back in the late 60's.
  • Because of the larger front tire, added on a Topeak Panogram bicycle speedometer so I could dial in the correct tire size to get a more accurate indication of my actual speed.

IMG_6377-XL.jpg

Img_6373-XL.jpg

Img_6388-XL.jpg

Img_6389a-XL.jpg

I used one of these on the KLR when I mounted up the studded tires. The wheel (a donor from a friend) speedo drive tabs in the hub were broken, so I used the bike speedometer instead to avoid a ticket. This was back in the 2006 time frame, and actually got two of them, so the one I just mounted was brand new and still in the box. Coin cell battery was dead, but I had a replacement since one of my digital calipers uses the same size.

Anyway, enough yada yada. The new site posting seems to work well thus far, so thanks to all for making it happen.

Yesterday:
Gertrude - ZG1200 Voyager XII - replaced fuel filter, synchronized carbs, replaced spacers in front fender/fork brace.
Geraldine - VT500 Shadow - replaced regulator/rectifier. Desperately seeking one-way bearing for starter clutch.

Yesterday:
Gertrude - ZG1200 Voyager XII - replaced fuel filter, synchronized carbs, replaced spacers in front fender/fork brace.
Geraldine - VT500 Shadow - replaced regulator/rectifier. Desperately seeking one-way bearing for starter clutch.

Do you have the old one out? A lot of times the bearings used by the OEM "community" still retain the Industry, or generic numbers.

Another question - where does that bearing reside in the fiches? You have a Honda part number for it?

I chat with a few in the vintage Honda forums, and some of them may be able to help.

??

Last edited:
Figured out how to pack my gear on the XR. Everything I'll need, and a few things I probably won't. :unsure:
Just out of curiosity, I weighed things out, and came under 140 lbs max payload.

She's RWTW ready!

62059046512__4E437910-AA70-4E8F-9BE3-34D44C1C9B10-M.jpg

Do you have the old one out? A lot of times the bearings used by the OEM "community" still retain the Industry, or generic numbers.

Another question - where does that bearing reside in the fiches? You have a Honda part number for it?

I chat with a few in the vintage Honda forums, and some of them may be able to help.

??
No, I don't have the old one out yet. The fiche is for the left crankcase cover, item #5. Honda part number is 28125-ME9-013 (superceded the original 28125-ME9-003).

Thanks!

Today I went for a 100 mile ride (total both ways) to meet some friends for a ride. Didn't know they'd cancelled it because of the rain until I got to the meeting point and nobody was there. Gertrude ran wonderfully. What a difference yesterday's work made!

No, I don't have the old one out yet. The fiche is for the left crankcase cover, item #5. Honda part number is 28125-ME9-013 (superceded the original 28125-ME9-003).

Thanks!
Ridiculous question time: You sure your bike is a 500? I ask because what you are describing cannot be found in the VT500C fiches, but can be found in the VT700 fiche - in the left crankcase cover as you have described. Honda also indicates that’s where the part number you have given can be found.

???????????

Regardless of where it's found in the fiches, once you get it out so you can try to identify a generic number, or can get some decent dimensions, look HERE. Scroll through several pages where you will see some examples of what your bearing looks like. With luck, you may be able to find it there.

EDIT: Unless I'm mistaken, believe THIS is what you're looking for.

Last edited:
I haven't been a COG member since sometime in 2010 or 2011. I left after I bought my 4th bike (my 2nd new bike). I had bought my first C10 in March of '99 and rode it for 115K miles when I totaled it on the Peak to Peak Highway south of Allen's Park, CO. Three months later I bought a practically identical bike that had 15K miles and rode it for 50K before trading it for 2010 Honda NT700VA. The Connie had just gotten too heavy for me after five knee replacements. At first, I wasn't sure that I'd made a smart decision, but by the time I got home, 80 miles from the dealership, I was comfortable with the little bike.

NT and Connie 4 (2017_11_17 00_21_56 UTC) (4).jpg

I rode the NT to the 2010 COG Rally in Tomah and then on across Wisconsin to take the ferry to Michigan, and then rode in the UP and around Lake Superior. By then I had done the first-ever Iron Butt Association certificate ride ever done in the Western Hemisphere on an NT. I did my 2013 "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador," an 80-day, 21,000-mile trip, and three more SS1Ks and a Bun Burner Gold on the bike. Then two weeks ago, with 137,000 miles on the bike, I traded it for one almost exactly like it with only 22,000 miles.

still smaller pic from 1-20.jpg

Now I've traded this bike on an older NT700V (16 serial numbers lower) but the older new bike has 118,000 fewer miles.

Those are some impressive statistics! Is that a custom seat on the last one? I love my little nt700v, have been telling the GF that I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country but I''m a slacker compared to your miles I have only averaged 5000 miles a year on the Honda That's basically using it as the "errand" bike With the scenic route taken each time........

Attachments

• screen saver.jpg
    screen saver.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 156
Ridiculous question time: You sure your bike is a 500? I ask because what you are describing cannot be found in the VT500C fiches, but can be found in the VT700 fiche - in the left crankcase cover as you have described. Honda also indicates that’s where the part number you have given can be found.

???????????

Regardless of where it's found in the fiches, once you get it out so you can try to identify a generic number, or can get some decent dimensions, look HERE. Scroll through several pages where you will see some examples of what your bearing looks like. With luck, you may be able to find it there.

EDIT: Unless I'm mistaken, believe THIS is what you're looking for.
Oh Kronk, I was looking at the VT700 fiche and didn't realize it. Crap, thanks for the heads up! Ok so I guess I'll have to pull it out before I get the part. I'm reluctant to do that because the bike is outside in a parking lot, but if that's what I have to do... I'll cover the area with plastic and duct tape, or reinstall the cover duh LOL

Thanks!

Oh Kronk, I was looking at the VT700 fiche and didn't realize it. Crap, thanks for the heads up! Ok so I guess I'll have to pull it out before I get the part. I'm reluctant to do that because the bike is outside in a parking lot, but if that's what I have to do... I'll cover the area with plastic and duct tape, or reinstall the cover duh LOL

Thanks!

Poo happens, eh?

Installed brake return spring and located source of high pitched whine when exceeding 50mph on 2008 Suzuki C50 Boulevard.
The whine is coming from the speedo sensor located on front wheel. A little spray lube should quiet it down as the last time it was whining and I rode it in the rain it kept quiet for a month.

drew up and 3d printed a tailight to fit the contours of my liquid cooled rd tail section.

lc-tailight-printed_1.jpg

lc-tailight-printed_4.jpg

lc-tailight-printed_3.jpg

cleaned up, bonded and clearcoated.

lc-tailight-printed_7.jpg

designed to work with red led strip lights. will show the tuning fork logos when lit up.

Finally got and installed the NOS water pump on the 05 ZX-10. Now just waiting for winter to start/end.

Attachments

• 11_2020 water pump_1.jpg
    11_2020 water pump_1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 153
I installed NOS Suzuki mirrors on my GS1100GK. I've been looking for those mirrors for many years. I still can't believe I found some!

Attachments

• IMG_20220609_183938_900.jpg
    IMG_20220609_183938_900.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 109
On my BMW F800GT, I:
  • Washed bike.
  • Changed oil and filter.
  • Cleaned air filter with compressed air.
  • Repaired broken wire to the clutch sensor switch.
  • Replaced power wire to the Uniden radar detector.
  • Changed drive belt.
  • Pulled both wheels and brake calipers.
  • Replaced rear brake pads.
And generally sat back and admired this bike for how well it suits my needs after 86,000 miles.

Chris

Reactions: Bud
On son’s “new to him/us” 2006 V-Strom 650:
Tires, control levers, OEM kickstand (old one was shortened), 1 Schrader valve in front tire stem, turn signal bulb, oil and filter change.

Every year in June, a local Scottish association holds a festival that includes games, dancing contests, bands, drums, parades, tattoos, etc... Anyway, there is a group of us with British bikes and cars that get together and ride in and hang out enjoying the sights, great fun when 50 or more vintage Brit bikes come roaring in.

I'm getting out the '79 Bonneville and some work needs done to it, not a lot, battery, new fuel, new gasket on fuel tap, air in tires, a good wash and shining of the bare aluminum, things like that. With 100 degree heat these last few days that simply was not going to happen. The Games are June 25th, so I got some time yet.

Was two days ago, rather than today, but pulled the front wheel off my Road King, stripped the flat black paint a P.O. had sprayed on and re-painted it silver. That looks closer to the original chrome. Had Cycle Gear mount a new Dunlop American Elite. Replaced the rotors (look to be the originals with 86k) and pads. Somebody had swapped the front wheel spacers side-for-side and the wheel was offset to the left, messing everything up. With that fixed, it has a much better feel at the lever now.

Still need to address the rear brake. Handle that soon.

Fresh fuel, checked the fluids, and the Bonneville started on the second kick! It hasn't run in almost 2 years, it's a "Special" so in the quaint British logic, they made it with kick start only, but, in a fit of brilliance, they also gave it factory electronic ignition, which didn't save the company, it has proven to be an outstanding item that should have been installed much earlier if it was available. As it's been covered it was still clean, rode it about 20 miles, no problems although it did run super rough for about 5 miles and it needed half choke.

At the COG National, my Buddy Hans and Ingegerd came over from Sweden and rode my C-14.
I rode my spare bike (a 2003 C-10 ) because they were riding 2 up and needed the extra power of the C-14.

I like to tinker and had made a lot of (poor boy) changes to the suspension.
But I'd never really got to ride it after the changes.
This Rally gave me that chance...
Woo hooo!!!

I fell in love with the old C-10 all over again!
Handling was greatly improved.
{So much improvement; that I now know I need to do something to the C-14 suspension}.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
2002 KLR:
Have one day to go before I can put fuel back into my KLR tank. Just gave it the POR15 treatment after giving a good visual about a week ago. No leaks or external bubbling in the paint, but there were a couple of areas that caused a little concern, so figured I’d take care of it while I could.

Back in 2003 several of us (all COG members) were prepping our respective KLRs (doohickey replacements) to make an assault on the Continental Divide from Port Roosville, MT to the Mexican border. The owner of one of the bikes, with a 2002 like my own noticed that he had a pin hole leak in his tank. He did a quick patch job so he could get back home that w/e, but replaced the tank with an IMS plastic one before our trip. I don’t recall what his mileage was when he noticed it, but that’s always been something I’ve been keenly aware of and have kept a close watch on. Mine has 56,200 miles on it now. Having replaced three Connie tanks (one on my ’86, am on the second one now on my ’95), it can be an expensive proposition if you don’t catch it in time.

I’ve done three POR15 treatments: CL77 Honda Scrambler, the 1993 tank currently on the Connie, and the KLR tank I’ve just finished. This last one was the easiest, and went the smoothest of all of them thus far.

I’ve still have my original ’95 tank that needs repaired, and a pristine spare in the wings. I may hit them up next if I get motivated. The Connie has over 200K on it now, and not sure if it, or I are going to outlive each other…. especially the way it’s running since the carb change. Unbelievable.

Still basically tied to the house due to my wife’s medical issues, but do have a day pass for a 400 mile ride over into WV next month. So looking forward to it.

Still haven't rebuilt the forks on my C10 so took my 2004 Road King up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Maggie valley this weekend. Re-did the clutch adjustment and primary oil level before heading up but clutch still dragging. Has 88k on the bike, no idea if it's the original clutch. Guess the plates have to come out for inspection. It was really bad when I got it, so I expect to find some warped steels. Was going to install the reduced effort pull kit so was going to be mostly there anyway.

Felt a little lean while up at 5-6k elevation and 60 degrees, so today on lunch break, I tweaked the Power Commander a bit to fatten it up across the board. Feels smoother, but time will tell. I got it as a non-runner with no ECM but the Power Commander still plugged in. I re-installed it as-is without reloading the tune which now has me a bit paranoid since I don't know what was loaded on there. A few times I thought it might be pinging a bit which naturally, I'd like to avoid. I'll just go ahead and load a tune that should be close and see what happens. Other option is to swap the exhaust from a 2007-2008 with the O2 sensor bungs and use the ThunderMax ECM I have. It uses wideband O2 sensors and has self-learning capabilities.

Next on the list will be the 16k service for my CB500X. That will be a valve adjustment, oil change and all the other little tweaks to cables, lube points etc. Probably should address that first while it's still warm and then the Connie afterward so it's ready for the winter (a C-10's weather coverage is ideal for winter, not so much at 90)

Went over the KZ, I'm headed over to a parking lot where my barber is practicing gaining some confidence to get out of the parking lot where she lives, nobody would help her, she says she needs someone to learn a few things, I figured I can use the smaller bike to show her some tips, she has a new Honda Rebel.

20220617_102551.jpg

Refilled the overflow bottle with Water-Wetter mix and checked the level in the radiator on the 2005 ZX-10 Nekkid. She was running a little warm in traffic on the last 97 degree afternoon ride home from work. Bottle was near empty but rad full. Want to take it to the Ride The Ribbon so it will be more like, Rip the Ribbon.

Attachments

• 20200429_122040.jpg
    20200429_122040.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 80
Got spare rocker plate and rocker arms assemblies for the Road King. Shimmed the side play to .004" and installed Rockouts (keeps the rocker shafts from rotating and clicking against the bolts.). No longer sounds like a jar of marbles. Lol. That out of the way I can get back to the Connie, or the CB500X, or the CL70, or maybe finally tackle the head gasket on the Ascot or work on the 260Z, or the house...

Maybe I should work on cloning myself first.

Installed a new set of Shinko tour masters on the GS1100 and changed the oil. Tried out the tire changing stand that came with my 01 C10. It does make it easier. I also made some tire mounting lubricant since I wasn't able to buy any in town. Found a thread on Bob is the oil guy site that suggested mixing coolant and car wash soap. It worked very well.