• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What is Adequate Trailer Size

2andblue

COG Executive Director
Looking at an enclosed trailer right now. Could really help extend our reach I.e. both can drive the cage hauling the bike to/from a cross country riding destination.

I have found a well maintained used trailer at what I think is a great price, question is: what is an adequate size for loading the C14? Trailer inside dimensions (FT) are 5.5H X 5.0W X 8.0L. Door opening is the full inside dimension.

3,500# Torsion axle, Venting, 4 floor corner mount D-Ring, Cargo Lights, Rear Ramp Door and side access 32” wide door. Seems typical motorcycle trailer traits.

With top box on Front Tire to End of box looks to be about 4 inches to spare.

Thank You for inputs.

A trailer with a ride in ramp is SO much easier.

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

My experience after owning a number of trailers is that bigger is better. I usually haul two bikes so a 7x16 is just right.

2andblue, it sounds like your looking at a trailer similar to this?

I considered that size and eventually opted not to purchase one.
It will haul the bike, but loading will be a bit difficult.
If you intend to camp in it, adequate, but also a bit difficult for 2.

Ride safe, Ted
Yes Ted similar in size only difference is rear door doubles as a drive-on ramp.

Ted I see Silverweasel has a 7x16, what size trailer do you use? I doubt I’ll be hauling two bikes anytime in near future.

The trailer your looking at will do what you want for 1 bike and is easier to tow and will use less gas to tow.
Just a bit more difficult to load etc...

In the end, I didn't buy an enclosed trailer. My Buddy bought one that we use when we travel/camp.
I do have a non enclosed trailer for other trips. {ie; better gas mileage}
His trailer is 7 x 12 and works perfectly but I think that is a minimum size to haul 2 Connie sized bikes.
To get the 2 bikes in, we stager/overlap them with #1 left/front, and #2 right rear.
Doing it this way is a bit difficult to get to the bikes to secure them, so we use turnbuckles instead of straps.

We just returned from the Horseshoe Mountain Rally. I'll ask Jim to post some photo's.
Justa-thought; Going to the Rally we got into a braking situation. Let's just say it was "CCC-close". o_O😵
Brakes are definitely in that trailers future!

Ride safe, Ted

Thank You for the inputs.

Ted / others for stabilizing and locking your bike in what chock do you use?

The trailer your looking at will do what you want for 1 bike and is easier to tow and will use less gas to tow.
Just a bit more difficult to load etc...

In the end, I didn't buy an enclosed trailer. My Buddy bought one that we use when we travel/camp.
I do have a non enclosed trailer for other trips. {ie; better gas mileage}
His trailer is 7 x 12 and works perfectly but I think that is a minimum size to haul 2 Connie sized bikes.
To get the 2 bikes in, we stager/overlap them with #1 left/front, and #2 right rear.
Doing it this way is a bit difficult to get to the bikes to secure them, so we use turnbuckles instead of straps.

We just returned from the Horseshoe Mountain Rally. I'll ask Jim to post some photo's.
Justa-thought; Going to the Rally we got into a braking situation. Let's just say it was "CCC-close". o_O😵
Brakes are definitely in that trailers future!

Ride safe, Ted
+1 on 6 X 7 X 12 Two C14's and tools, generator & compressor. No room for camping unless the bikes are out.
Not much better mileage than our 8 X 24 with racecar in it.

My experience with trailers, I've got 2 , is that a little too big is better than a little too small.
And having a nice ramp to ride or roll into is a must.
Fully enclosed is much more $$ but well worth it if you can afford it.
Nick
2014 C-14

My trailer is a 6' X 12'. It is the minimum size for two bikes. I added new flooring and insulated the walls and ceiling. Installed wheel chocks and turnbuckle tiedown (thanks to Ted). Added a 120 volt plug setup and lights. Added an RV window in the door and an RV door latch. It works really well for camping. Two cots fit comfortably with room for clothes bags fans and an electric heater.

Attachments

• 20201025_133824.jpg
    20201025_133824.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20201025_133946.jpg
    20201025_133946.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 20201025_135135.jpg
    20201025_135135.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 20201020_111236.jpg
    20201020_111236.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 20201020_111201.jpg
    20201020_111201.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 128
Thank You for your post Jim. I have decided for even one motorcycle the 5x8 was just too tight and have passed on the sale.

I like what you did Jim and have me thinking more on same lines..

Adequate? You want luxury. :) This worked for us for over 10k miles. No hot bearings and my gas mileage hardly changed.

I shove it in my van now. It stays cleaner in there for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 126
Adequate? You want luxury. :) This worked for us for over 10k miles. No hot bearings and my gas mileage hardly changed.

I shove it in my van now. It stays cleaner in there for sure.
You are correct - can go open air trailer for fraction price and fuel savings for sure.

Would like to avoid any possible damages from debris if possible. It is true I have hauled a boat for 10’sK miles without any issues and that was open air (except a cover).

Did you have any sort of deflectors to avoid rock chips, etc.? Or just live with the damage?

An enclosed trailer is so handy. I have a 6'x12' single axle.
Plenty of tie-down room for a C14 with bags-on
I haul my Husq 501 sometimes and it's like a BB-in-a-boxcar
The trailer also doubles as a garage/storage when not in use

I also have a 6x12 v nose, that im planning on using as bike hauler and camper (thanks to jim snyder) lol.. my only issue on my trailer, and i hate to admit it, i didnt pay attention to the height when i placed my order. You guessed it, the height at the rear ramp opening is only 55 inches. I have to remove my screen and trunk to get it in...pia....

My trailer will do double duty as my rolling remodeling transport, i plan on building modular shelving using yhe E track system...

I also have a 6x12 v nose, that im planning on using as bike hauler and camper (thanks to jim snyder) lol.. my only issue on my trailer, and i hate to admit it, i didnt pay attention to the height when i placed my order. You guessed it, the height at the rear ramp opening is only 55 inches. I have to remove my screen and trunk to get it in...pia....

My trailer will do double duty as my rolling remodeling transport, i plan on building modular shelving using yhe E track system...
Will they trade it for a taller one?

This is the great kind of feedback I was hoping to see. Go taller than 55” opening!

Shorter height probably does save some fuel $.

I like the comments of storage doubling when not in use as well. Camper doubling also a value creator.

.......trailer is 3 years old now jim. Im only planning on using the trailer to haul the bike and sleep in it. Couple ez ups for a covered entertaining (adult beverage area) and cooking area.

I orginally purchased it to help facilitate our move from bolingbrook illinois down to guyton georgia. I made 4 trips down hauling my tools and garage 'stuff'. We had gotten rid of most of our big furniture and the rest of the household stuff went into the u haul pods.

You are correct - can go open air trailer for fraction price and fuel savings for sure.

Would like to avoid any possible damages from debris if possible. It is true I have hauled a boat for 10’sK miles without any issues and that was open air (except a cover).

Did you have any sort of deflectors to avoid rock chips, etc.? Or just live with the damage?
I never had any damage, it was nestled behind the CRV well. The bike only got dirty from indirect spray from the CRV and the open trailer tires. Most trailers in a bag like this have fenders now but mine was really old. I paid $145 and sold it for close to that.

Just found a picture of the Trailer I was looking at.
I assume you can understand what initially got my attention?

Ride safe, Ted

Attachments

• 20150613_071820.jpg
    20150613_071820.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 106
Nice Ted!

Trailer(s) I have been looking at online were all fraudulent scams :mad:!

I will continue my search though and education shared / gained here very helpful!

Look around town at the various places that sell trailers. The prices will vary a lot, and many are almost identical.
Used trailers can be your friend, or your worst nightmare..

On the flip side of size. I think there is a too big option..
I have a 8 x 18 {home-made} car hauler.
I use it to haul a Model T Ford and so it is tall {to allow the car to be hauled with top up} and we built it so it's strong/heavy.
I've considered using it for hauling 4-5 bikes and people to an event.
Bad idea..
1} Not enough room in truck to haul 4-5 people on a camp/ride event.
1b} Would need a second vehicle for people & junk.
2} 4-5 bikes are 2x heavier than the Model T.
2b} So, gas mileage is awful...
3} After a week, we would probably all hate one another.

Ride safe, Ted

Close, but no frijole.
Mebbe I needed to mention that I'm from TeXaS..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: What do you think that handle was for? Possibly a door up front?

The handle is for leverage in positioning / moving trailer around - note the roller tongue jack.