• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What rear trunk

Mine came with a Givi rear trunk when I bought it.  Seems like a nice unit, no complaints thus far. 

I added a Givi 52L to my C-10 several years ago and moved it to my C-14. I bought it because it'll hold two full face helmets with gloves or one helmet with my mesh riding jacket doubled up.

I used Phil's rack on the C-14 because it's aluminum and not plastic. Another reason for the Givi is that it was the only box that the factory site lists an optional passenger backrest. The box is thick plastic and fairly heavy and pricey. But I'm going on 5-6 years with it now and it stays on the bike. It'll hold a backpack with all my work junk (computer, notebooks, power cords, etc). It's easy to open and the only problem I've had with it is the plastic headed keys are not very durable and are expensive to replace.

After 5-6 years, the handl that "pops up" when the key is turned is now "popping up" without the key. It has double locks, so not a problem, just annoying. I'm thinking about putting a spoiler on it so it looks like it's doing something beside standing up. :nananana:

What size are you interested in?
Have you looked on the Forum Emporium?

When you decide, I suggest a removable trunk set up.

There are hundreds of trunks available that will fit the C-10.
    Many of those trunks are used in COG.
Like Ron, I also have the Givi 52 on my C-10.
Givi's are probably the most popular in the club. Also one of the more expensive.
Probably the second most used is the one that Murph offers. (also less expensive)

Ride safe, Ted

Mines a Milwaukee router case I pulled out of the dumpster when I worked in a shop. My bike came with a Givi mount base, but no Givi, so any case can be easily mounted instead, but no quick release.

Givi 46L... a tough old bird - LOL
It was on my C10 when I crashed last September and is now on my C14, using the Givi mount with additional brackets for more strength - what a pain to install!.
Trunk looks a little worse for the wear, but still fully functional. The one on Amazon is a knock-off of the model I have.
Bought it used about 5 years ago, painted it to match the bags on the C10, and painted it again recently.

Jorge said:

It was on my C10 when I crashed last September

Bought it used about 5 years ago, painted it to match the bags on the C10, and painted it again recently.

Hello Jorge,

Wondering how you chose to paint up your trunk?

I too have a Givi 46L that needs a little TLC.  i happened to scratch mine when it slipped out of my hands going into the hotel at the 2015 Nationals.

Now there are scratches in the silver border I'd like to refinish.  Any ideas on the best matching silver paint for a Givi trunk?  Anyone can chime in too.

Looking forward to your comments.
Matt

Givi is definitely the best....but they are also the best of a bad industry.

My Givi Maxia is far more sturdy than this SHAD that the new concours has on it.....however when I broke the  key off in the cylinder years ago, it was a PITA to find a replacement cylinder. Finally after like 2 weeks of calls, searches, and emails, I found a vendor that had a replacement for like 14 bucks. I even called Italy.

I've been using the Besam daily to and from work, as well as a 1600 mile two day trip last week. It's been good. It's cheaper than the rest, and long term that may bite me, but I like it so far.
-Jake

Givi is the best out there that I have seem...a bit pricey but very well built...plus they make a C10 specific mounting plate..

odie said:
Givi is the best out there that I have seem...a bit pricey but very well built...plus they make a C10 specific mounting plate..

They used to make a C10 specific mounting plate but not anymore. What is available is limited to dealer stock. Revzilla has one in their clear-out area.

When I bought my bike the seller threw in a Bestem T-Box. Seems okay considering the price. I have a Givi box on my KLR and I would say that the build of the Givi is definitely better - but at twice the price of the Bestem. I think the Bestem will be adequate. It has a LED light strip in it but I found they weren’t that bright and didn’t bother hooking them up.

I have a Givi that the SO didn't like the pad that it has on it. I saw a cheapo top box that has a crescent shaped backrest with elbow resting area, the SO loves it was <$90. Cheaply made (molded upper and lower box plastic hinge components, cheap vinyl backrest material)  including luggage rack. Had to use a cutting board type material to make a rack for attachment.
Has worked for 3 seasons so far.
Pics found of a bike with a look-a-like case on it.

PS, there is a C10 Givi mounting plate that has been posted recently in the C10 Emporium

Attachments

• Top Case 1.jpg
    Top Case 1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Top Case 2.jpg
    Top Case 2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 129
On various C10's I've had JCW, Givi and Shad.

They had differences in price and quality but for me, each one worked as well as the others from a functionality standpoint.

I have an extra JCW (large size) with keys and mounting plate on the shelf in the garage I would part with.

I have the Shad 46.  Cheaply made and not worth what I paid.  I have to tweak the lid to close it and the white reflector on the right side started waving to me in the wind.  Had to glue it back down.

ManWorkingHere said:
Jorge said:

It was on my C10 when I crashed last September

Hello Jorge,

Wondering how you chose to paint up your trunk?

I too have a Givi 46L that needs a little TLC.  i happened to scratch mine when it slipped out of my hands going into the hotel at the 2015 Nationals.

Now there are scratches in the silver border I'd like to refinish.  Any ideas on the best matching silver paint for a Givi trunk?  Anyone can chime in too.

Looking forward to your comments.
Matt

Only took me a little while to get back to this project.  :)

Turns out that I used Rust-o-leum Universal Silver touch up paint to fix up my trunk.  $13 bottle from AutoZone.

When you look at the Attachments, you can see what happens when you drop your trunk (missing your foot) in the parking lot of a COG National hotel.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9566.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9566.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 109
  • thumbnail_IMG_9567.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9567.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 117
  • thumbnail_IMG_9587.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9587.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 109
  • thumbnail_IMG_9588.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9588.jpg