• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What tires for the 2021 season?

texas.devops902

Eager Upshifter in SW Houston
Found an interesting article on the RS4’s - yeah that’s not happening for this guy.

Looking at the tire’s profile pic @ 10,245 miles in this article there are sprues that appear to be 2 inches from edge of tire..

Never turn and riding on cotton-balls?

The comments below the article are interesting too. A dude mentioned rebound and others mentioned tire pressures and suspension setups based on tire wear. I think there's a bit more to making these skins last long than constantly riding the twisties to keep things round. Some of us don't have that many options to do that, with miles of mostly long straight stretches out to the horizon in every direction. Our other option is stop-and-go from traffic light to traffic light.

The tires are sorta like fuel and oil. We ride what we ride wherever we can and replace as needed. Maybe here in Houston we can pull together a kitty to buy a tire changing machine we can all make use of? And anyone COGgers coming through town can stop in to get a quick change? THAT would be a value-added for being a member. Having a place we can bring/ship our tires so we can utilize our COG equipment? Hmm...LOL

1623371540846.png

Last edited:

Bud

In a perfect world, it's a great idea. Maybe one member buys the equipment and others commit to having that member swap tires like cycle gear at a substantially discounted rate in comparison to average market rates for that service. It could be discounted further after the equipment was paid for if so desired by the owner. In any case if it's cheaper than shops, members would bring their business.

Daboo

Staff member
Found an interesting article on the RS4’s - yeah that’s not happening for this guy.

Looking at the tire’s profile pic @ 10,245 miles in this article there are sprues that appear to be 2 inches from edge of tire..

Never turn and riding on cotton-balls?
I'm not seeing anything negative in that article you linked to. I'm also not sure what a "sprues" is.

I've used the Dunlop RS3's two or three times. I wouldn't have done so if they were lousy tires. I went to the Dunlop RS4 on the last tire change. The only "issue" I've encountered with them is they seem to be stiffer than the Continental RoadAttack 3s I had on last. That may be just my imagination. I don't see that as a disadvantage, but a plus, for owners of the Concours. My bike is 200 lbs lighter than either of the Concours models, and that will make a difference.

At 5000 miles on the tires, they still look pretty good.
1623689607243.png
1623689654139.png

The pic of the rear tire isn't centered, and can give you the impression that the wear is uneven from right to left. It's not. The wear is even across the tire.

I rode back from Eastern Washington last night in what they call here a "Pineapple Express". Pouring drenching rain with standing water on the freeway. No issues at all.

I don't have a problem recommending them to anyone, and it was a hard choice to make between the RS3, RS4 and RA3. They are all good.

Chris

2andblue

I'm not seeing anything negative in that article you linked to. I'm also not sure what a "sprues" is.

I've used the Dunlop RS3's two or three times. I wouldn't have done so if they were lousy tires. I went to the Dunlop RS4 on the last tire change. The only "issue" I've encountered with them is they seem to be stiffer than the Continental RoadAttack 3s I had on last. That may be just my imagination. I don't see that as a disadvantage, but a plus, for owners of the Concours. My bike is 200 lbs lighter than either of the Concours models, and that will make a difference.

At 5000 miles on the tires, they still look pretty good.
View attachment 29577View attachment 29578

The pic of the rear tire isn't centered, and can give you the impression that the wear is uneven from right to left. It's not. The wear is even across the tire.

I rode back from Eastern Washington last night in what they call here a "Pineapple Express". Pouring drenching rain with standing water on the freeway. No issues at all.

I don't have a problem recommending them to anyone, and it was a hard choice to make between the RS3, RS4 and RA3. They are all good.

Chris
Think my comments were misperceived. I often think everyone is in my head... lol

No issues with the tire - they’re great... The article though, OMG, not everyone should expect over 10K mileage, article shows someone with vastly different riding / use than many. The outside 1-1/2 to 2 inches were never touched... how do I know?.. see below explanation:

Sprues, also known as flashing or tits are those little knobs on the tire. Half of any day riding in any twisties should scrub all those off. So when someone is doing an article and has the sprues remaining (after more than 10K miles) for a significant portion of the tire, a flag goes up that the miles ridden do not represent anything near what I would expect the average C-14 rider.

Seeing further above I wrote up a 4 day weekend in the mountains on the RS3’s: ponded roads:!no problem, twisties: stick great, ride: feels good, edge to edge: an overall stronger tire for my needs than anything I’ve had to date.

Daboo

Staff member
Now I have to check my tires for sprouts!

How embarrassing that would be!!

Chris

Fred H.

Administrator
So I'll just put in my 2 cents here.

I've had many different Dunlop tires on various bikes I've owned over the years, and I had so many incidents with them in the rain that I'll never put another Dunlop on any bike I own again. They are great in the dry and give high mileage, but Dunlop simply does not put enough silica in the compounds they use, and this leads to very poor grip in the rain. I've had one friend that totaled a bike on Dunlops in the rain going straight and level on a slick road. I've had every Dunlop I used break the back tire loose and step out on me in the wet. If you are on a smooth road surface in the rain, watch out if you're riding on Dunlops.

For my money, you'd be better off with ANY other brand tire if you ride in the wet.

Last edited:

heastill9818

I just shopped for rear tire... CYCLEGEAR has the best price for me around here +$25 m/b. The M/ RP4GT is less expensive than the D/ RS2 and the P/ GT2....go figure....putting on the RP4GT

2andblue

So I'll just put in my 2 cents here.

I've had many different Dunlop tires on various bikes I've owned over the years, and I had so many incidents with them in the rain that I'll never put another Dunlop on any bike I own again. They are great in the dry and give high mileage, but Dunlop simply does not put enough silica in the compounds they use, and this leads to very poor grip in the rain. I've had one friend that totaled a bike on Dunlops in the rain going straight and level on a slick road. I've had every Dunlop I used break the back tire loose and step out on me in the wet. If you are on a smooth road surface in the rain, watch out if you're riding on Dunlops.

For my money, you'd be better off with ANY other brand tire if you ride in the wet.
I spun a cold (less than 2 miles) rear RS3 Friday on a wet surface. No problem on other tires ever, even when cold and suddenly loose tire, caught my extra attention. After heated up (pressure rose couple PSI) no braking loose with same factors.

So with Dunlop RS3 the past ~3,500 miles for me ponded roads no problem (less in way of acceleration factors), braking great on wet or ponded but able to activate traction control on wet roads accelerating heavily on a fairly cold tire - after heated up no issue.