• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What year C14 should I get?

crbusse9870

I’m always behind the times riding older motorcycles. I plan on switching to a C14 from my C10 in the next few months. I have bought certain motorcycles where a certain year made improvements on things and I don’t want to have a learning curve with this new (new to me) c14 purchase.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly. Thank you.

Changes initiated in 2015:
  1. Believe there was a new seat
Then definitely:
  1. An adjustable vent on the windscreen
  2. New exhaust heat shield
  3. New low-friction steering stem seal
  4. K-ACT ABS has been revised
  5. First gear ratio is slightly lower
  6. Rear suspension preload capacity increased

If the 2015 is out of the price range you should go for a 2010 or newer. Starting with 2010, the fairing around the shins and general leg area was changed so it didn't roast your legs like the previous years.

My 2014 had a adjustable vent in the windscreen, maybe it was a late 2014?
Look for a Black one, there the fastest and most trouble free !!
Nick
2014 C-14

The '15 mods get a person's attention. The lower first gear ratio interests me. Is 1st too tall to the point of issues on the earlier models? My Honda ST has a tall 1st but then again it's only a 5 speed. Also, from a little parts catalogue research it looks like a '15 windshield will bolt on to an '08?

My opinion will most likely not be agreeable with everyone else, but I'll give it anyway. Every year I expect to have to replace mine because of the mileage & often wonder which I'll buy. I've ridden all years up to 16 & owned a 13 along with my 08 for a brief time. I've found all those small changes made over the years barely noticeable & nothing that would sway me to any one year. I sold the 13 & keep the 08 even though it had a 125,000 or so on it if that says anything, even though I could have kept either or both. I have never noticed a issue with the heat that everyone talks about & never noticed any difference in it when riding later models. I spent a hour on a 15 model & hated the windshield, way to big not mention noisy compared to my small MRA shield.

The gen 1's are by far the best looking & the red 09 is tops IMO. Red 09 is what I have always wanted as a replacement, but will most likely end up with a 16 or newer simply due to age & I like the 16 & 18 colors.

My .02 for what it's worth!

Last edited:
My opinion will most likely not be agreeable with everyone else, but I'll give it anyway. Every year I expect to have to replace mine because of the mileage & often wonder which I'll buy. I've ridden all years up to 16 & owned a 13 along with my 08 for a brief time. I've found all those small changes made over the years barely noticeable & nothing that would sway me to any one year. I sold the 13 & keep the 08 if that says anything, even though I could have kept either or both. I have never noticed a issue with the heat that everyone talks about & never noticed any difference in it when riding later models. I spent a hour on a 15 model & hated the windshield, way to big not mention noisy compared to my small MRA shield.

The gen 1's are by far the best looking & the red 09 is tops IMO. Red 09 is want I have always wanted as a replacement, but will most likely end up with a 16 or newer simply due to age & I like the 16 & 18 colors.

I agree! But I do think our Silver Neutron is the best and fastest color Cliff!

Cliff said:

The gen 1's are by far the best looking & the red 09 is tops IMO. Red 09 is want I have always wanted as a replacement, but will most likely end up with a 16 or newer simply due to age & I like the 16 & 18 colors.

I could not agree more and I am happy with my 1st Gen red 09 and agree the better looking. I complained about the bikes heat one time. The NW and SW had a joint rally. It was hot and if there was a line of trees with shade the temp gauge would move down a notch. The heat was on the legs and not the feet since I wear insolated boots. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer.

Yes the windscreen will bolt on. But thats just for the windscreen. The vent assembly is seperate from the screen and a pretty penny iirc. U'd be better off watching for a used one to come up for sale.

I’m always behind the times riding older motorcycles. I plan on switching to a C14 from my C10 in the next few months. I have bought certain motorcycles where a certain year made improvements on things and I don’t want to have a learning curve with this new (new to me) c14 purchase.

The following information below was copied/pasted from the 2015 Concours brochure. It describes the new changes starting in 2015.
* Revised first gear ratio is shorter to take better advantage of the massive torque to make starting from a
standstill easier, more difficult to stall at ultra-low speeds and just easier to control in first-gear, low speed
situations.
* New exhaust heat guard offers increased protection for the rider’s leg/foot and is better integrated with the
muffler cover, while new 300-cell exhaust catalyzers reduce emissions.
* Revised fuel injection mapping matches transmission and catalyzer changes.
* New low-friction steering stem bearing seal makes steering lighter and smoother.
* Revised K-ACT ABS settings for the linked effect when the rear brake is applied helps eliminate the linked feel
on the front brake for more natural feeling during low-speed maneuvers. Bosch’s latest control unit is also
smaller and has more precise control.
* New smoked brake and clutch master cylinders enhance appearance.
* Adjustable vent added to windscreen that reduces the negative pressure effect in the rider cockpit for
smoother airflow and reduced helmet buffeting at higher speeds. The vent has two open positions and can be
fully closed to suit weather conditions.
* Revised seat is narrower at front with a flatter seat area so that riders can more easily reach to the ground
with their feet and provides more comfort. The rear area is longer and flatter so the passenger can more
easily adjust position, is less likely to slide forward and is more comfortable. Double stitched seams
enhance the appearance and a slip-resistant cover increases comfort.
* Accessory Touring Seat ramps up the comfort level with 10mm low-rebound urethane layer for increased
cushioning and improved long-distance comfort, an even longer and flatter passenger area, and an
exclusive cover material that resists heat gain in the sun.
* Passenger footpegs are now rubber padded for increased comfort.

Shameless plug but I’ve got a 2017 in the classified that’s been a great bike get it while you can.

Last edited:

I have a 2015 and I love it. I had an 02 C10 and the difference was delicious.

Try to find a 1903 Concours., looks exactly like a 2015...very rare, prove that the C-14 is fast enough to induce time travel. The did not sell well back then.

Of course Gen 1 bike are the fastest since they don't have the speed limiter. 😬I still like my 2009 since it doesn't have linked brakes.

Of course Gen 1 bike are the fastest since they don't have the speed limiter. 😬I still like my 2009 since it doesn't have linked brakes.
After tuning the brakes down I like the linked brakes.

Speed limiter - schimiter... ECU tune, a prerequisite on this machine, and the speed limiter is gone - checked mine: it’s gone.. 🤪

After tuning the brakes down I like the linked brakes.

Speed limiter - schimiter... ECU tune, a prerequisite on this machine, and the speed limiter is gone - checked mine: it’s gone.. 🤪

I don't care for linked brakes on any bike called, "sport". In fact, in advertising the Gen 1, Kawasaki themselves touted the fact their brakes were no linked, saying it was better for sport riding. I wish I could still find the promo, but at the moment I cannot. Enough to say, for me, I prefer non-linked brakes. In fact, my preference is non-ABS brakes, which is why I bought the leftover 2009 instead of the ABS equipped 2010 the dealer had in stock, and i have been very happy with my decision. These are all personal preferences though, and I fully understand others like linked brakes, and ABS.

As for the speed limiter, yeah, that was tongue in cheek. It really doesn't matter to me, and the ECU flash can get rid of it.

The subject here resonates with me as I'm shopping for my first Concours. I agree with C14 on the linked brakes, and although I understand why the sport tourers tend to feature it; at speed on the highway it's comfortable. I've ridden so long, braking is almost second nature. My current ride, a Honda ST1300, has linked brakes that work quite well and has amazing composure at low speed maneuvers especially for a bike of it's weight. I'll miss that but after 10k miles of touring last year I feel I'd like something a little more spirited hence the Connie.

KZ 750 and C-10 in my history of riding around the country previous to C-14 I found the linked brakes -at factory full response setting- a little wonky. As noted after dialing back the sensitivity- no worries: geometry / everything fully stable everywhere no matter when I need to use the brakes. Don’t let this be your factor for not getting a C-14.

KZ 750 and C-10 in my history of riding around the country previous to C-14 I found the linked brakes -at factory full response setting- a little wonky. As noted after dialing back the sensitivity- no worries: geometry / everything fully stable everywhere no matter when I need to use the brakes. Don’t let this be your factor for not getting a C-14.
I agree. I would tend towards the newest generation since more of the bugs have been worked out of the system. Or...a Gen1 with no linked brakes, but if buying newer, I would go with one of the current gen models. All of them are great bikes.

I'm so F'n tired of hearing about the linked brakes, I don't know what all the crying is about? had the bike 9 years now maybe someday I'll become aware:devilish: bla bla bla

I think in cases of touring, the linked brakes discussion is a bit overblown. In technical twisties, too much front brake applied when leaned over can effect the situation in a negative way. I use the rear brake often is regulating speed when leaned over, but in my experience, knowing your bike is so very important. I tend to like using my own system of regulating front and rear pressure so I've concentrated my search to '08, '09 or '15+. That said, any system can be learned.

Last edited:
It was my good fortune to pick up a 2010 model that had $5300 in up grades plus a trailer Only 31K on it and in really nice condition. It was local to me and I found it on E Bay. It has the Hili bars, Corbin seats, and the Cee Baily windshield. It has the slip on and some other nice extras. I don't mind the linked braking because it does seem very well balanced. In fact, one day I did get to close to a pickup truck and he jammed on the brakes at about 30 mph. I really thought I was about to eat it as I did get within about 6 ft of his bumper. I hit the brakes hard ! Hard enough to lock them up... or so I thought... and the ABS must have kicked in though I didn't notice it producing a sensation like cars do that activate ABS.

For me the most exquisite working piece on this particular Connie is the clutch. I have never had a better silky smooth clutch on a motorcycle than this one in my life. On a number of occasions when I have forgotten to downshift to 1st gear and ended up taking off in second... its like... oh well... I am moving now... might as well just keep on going because shifting down to 1st isn't really necessary now. :oops: :LOL:

It is my first Connie so I am a new rider on these. I have owned about 15 bikes and I still have my Gen 1 05 Busa. I did have a Valkyrie for a while in 2012 and liked it for what it was with 2 exceptions... it was a gas hog and I couldn't lean it over far enough without dragging steel.

Personally speaking... though I haven't really ridden some of the other flagship sport tourers like the 6 cylinder BMW or the FJR 1300 and the Honda ST 1300.... ( I have ridden a few Goldwings but its not really in the same class ) all I can say about the Connie is that I am amazed... the power, the handling and the braking are top notch in my less experienced big sport touring motorcycle class experience. I actually prefer it over my Busa in the canyons... however... the tires might be the issue. Next time the Busa gets a new back tire I am going to put one of those Michelin GT5s like I have on the Connie. I blew the tire budget a little bit with the Michelin's front and rear on the Connie... but, now I am glad I did.

I'm so F'n tired of hearing about the linked brakes, I don't know what all the crying is about? had the bike 9 years now maybe someday I'll become aware:devilish: bla bla bla

Good for you. No one is crying about it. I'm glad you like them, many people do, some don't. That is the way life is. In a thread asking about the different models, it is all in informing people what is available from the different years, so they can make a decision based on their personal preferences.

I guess you have not been here for 9 years of linked break threads. Subscriber, I only use front brake one finger till last few feet what I'm I missing?

I guess you have not been here for 9 years of linked break threads. Subscriber, I only use front brake one finger till last few feet what I'm I missing?
That is a fact.. I am a new guy here... I am also big on using the front brake only... been riding that way for years...

I just checked my rear pads after replacing the fronts... still plenty of pad life back there... new pads on the shelf will not likely be put to use for another 15 or 20,000 miles but will check occasionally just to make sure.

The front pads were toast... lucky I caught them when I did... the good news is their was no difference in effectiveness as it relates to lever pressure. Just an all around good braking system imho.

I have. I have been here since 2010. For the purpose of this thread though, it isn't whining about linked brakes. It is offering information of what is available on the different model years so the OP can decide what they want based on their preferences. I stand by what I said. If they really don't want linked brakes, Gen 1. If that doesn't matter, get one of the newest ones since the linked brakes are much better than the first iteration of them. If you aren't really riding hard on twisty roads a lot, any of them are fantastic bikes, linked brakes or not.

I don't even know if my brakes are linked... will look at the owners manual and see what it says... what year did they begin linking the brakes? Mine is a 2010.

Back to original topic
I would wait and be patient and the right one will come along at a great price.
Thats how I've bought all 3 of my bikes, it seemed, that they all came to me.
The market is full of low priced, low mile, well cared for machines.
Just have to keep looking and the right one will come along, when it does jump on it.
Just my opinion but anything after say 2012-13 looks good to me; not too old.
Nick
2014 C-14

Last edited:
Back to original topic
I would wait and be patient and the right one will come along at a great price.
Thats how I've bought all 3 of my bikes, it seemed, that they all came to me.
The market is full of low priced, low mile well cared for machines.
Just have to keep looking and the right one will come along, when it does jump on it.
Just my opinion but anything after say 2012-13 looks good to me; not too old.
Nick
2014 C-14

Yep, there are plenty of them out there. The prices aren't bad either, even the new ones. As soon as Spring hits you will see a lot more for sale.

I learned to be patient. I went to look at a low mileage Connie at the local dealer and saw that it had been down at some point; instead of waiting for something better, I bought my Honda ST which was sitting next to it. It's a fine bike and I learned that I really enjoy touring but I should have waited and spent a little more; bought what I really wanted. This passion of ours is well worth it.

Pretty sure in 2010 only the ABS models had linked brakes. 2011+ they all did as they did away with non ABS models.
Mine has K-ACT ABS... and KTRC...
I just read a bit out of the owners manual and it says the front brake lever activates all three calipers at the same time. I was under the impression that the rear brake would activate the rear caliper and one front caliper only. I believe Honda use to design their linked systems that way years ago.

Since I bought this one... "I thought"... the front brake lever was only activating only one front caliper. "I thought"... the rear brake was activating one front caliper and the rear brake because "I thought"... they were linked to operate as a linked system by the rear brake peddle action.... like Honda did years ago.

The good news is the brakes work real good... even when I didn't know how they were designed to work together.

Now... next time I will pull in the clutch at low speed and see what level of pressure it takes to lock the rear brake. I didn't think I could do that when I thought the brakes were linked from the rear brake pedal. . The ABS should kick in when I attempt to do that... right?

On my 2015 I don't really notice the linked brakes which were modified that year. Although it didn't start out that way, I have become a BIG fan of ABS over the years. Last Summer some buttwipe in a pickup pulled right out of his driveway on a busy main 2-lane highway and then saw me and stopped in the middle of the road. I was doing about 55+mph and fortunately my pillion was readjusting herself and was holding on to the rear seat grab bars at the time and didn't slide forward into me. The ABS worked exactly like it was supposed to and I literally stopped about a foot from his front fender... I shouted "WTF is wrong with you" and he said "I didn't see you". That is understandable since he apparently had his head up his arse!

On my 2015 I don't really notice the linked brakes which were modified that year. Although it didn't start out that way, I have become a BIG fan of ABS over the years. Last Summer some buttwipe in a pickup pulled right out of his driveway on a busy main 2-lane highway and then saw me and stopped in the middle of the road. I was doing about 55+mph and fortunately my pillion was readjusting herself and was holding on to the rear seat grab bars at the time and didn't slide forward into me. The ABS worked exactly like it was supposed to and I literally stopped about a foot from his front fender... I shouted "WTF is wrong with you" and he said "I didn't see you". That is understandable since he apparently had his head up his arse!
Been there before where some looks directly through you, its an unmistakable look on the face of the other driver (likely in a rush trying to best a line of cages behind you/us). I’ve only had the ABS, to my knowledge, save our bacon once but when it did ( it did so well ) and that’s what matters!

It is an interesting phenomenon with all the high-vis we wear but one you cannot ignore or will be short lived in riding a motorcycle.

Side note on visibility: Headlight modulators certainly increase the chance of being seen but let me tell you I hate them, find them distracting and could easily see the intended audience getting confused / overwhelmed and the cause of missing something else.

Ive had a headlight modulator on both my c10 and c14 for ever... was the first 'safety' farkle i had to get. Had far to many close calls with folks not seeing me. Since that time, 21 years, i can count on 1 hand the number of times someone pulled out on me.

The only things i have had happen are folks pulling over for me thinking im a motorcop..Lol

But when i ride in a group, if im not #1 or #2 in the stick i turn it off..

I don't think it's that important what year you get. If color is important to you pick the year with the color you like best.

MOST people will modify their bike to fit them and make it more comfortable for them. JMO.

My opinion will most likely not be agreeable with everyone else, but I'll give it anyway. Every year I expect to have to replace mine because of the mileage & often wonder which I'll buy. I've ridden all years up to 16 & owned a 13 along with my 08 for a brief time. I've found all those small changes made over the years barely noticeable & nothing that would sway me to any one year. I sold the 13 & keep the 08 even though it had a 125,000 or so on it if that says anything, even though I could have kept either or both. I have never noticed a issue with the heat that everyone talks about & never noticed any difference in it when riding later models. I spent a hour on a 15 model & hated the windshield, way to big not mention noisy compared to my small MRA shield.

The gen 1's are by far the best looking & the red 09 is tops IMO. Red 09 is what I have always wanted as a replacement, but will most likely end up with a 16 or newer simply due to age & I like the 16 & 18 colors.

i had heat issue till i got ecu flashed. i switched to evans waterless coolant also. i even took over the heat louver off on my 08