• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What's the max Amperage?

brianc

Big Wheel
Hello, I have a few accessories added to my 2003 Connie. I've added heated grips, iPod/iPhone charger and Stereo with amplifier. I am wondering what the maximum drain in Amps that the bike can handle? I'm thinking about adding a heated vest to the mix but am concerned about having all these accessories running at once may damage something due to the draw.

Can anyone offer any advice in this regard?

Thanks in advance, Brian

28.6A@6,000rpm,14V    ~400Watts is what I found when I looked into this several years ago.  Realistically probably 300 to 350 watts at normal running.  In traffic or idling, turn off the elect gear and aux lights.

If you are going to run a bunch of electrics, think about converting over to a ZZR1200 alternator it has a larger output.  45A / 13.5V @ 8000rpm

You also might want to consider installing a volt meter.

Here's some quick comments from my experience...
I was running a GPS and two 55W halogen auxiliary lights, and at idle the alternator could not keep the voltage up. Never had any issues, but I could tell I was exceeding the alternator output. As soon as engien speed went about ~1200 RPM, alternator output exceeded loads. At idle I was slightly discharging the battery, and is something that many vehicles are designed to accommodate (bikes, cars, etc.), but if you drive in stop&go traffic, can wear you battery faster.
I switched to 35W bulbs, and the alternator was always able to handle the loads at idle.
Bottom line: Alternator can produce more than 70W, but less than 110W above what the bike needs to run with normal bulbs.
If you want to increase loads above the 70W number, consider changing headlight, front running lamps, and taillight LEDs. This could make as much as 60W, maybe a little more, available for accessories.
Jorge

The ZZR1200 alternator is the best cure for juice.  Not all that cheap, but can handle the load of big lights and electric gear all at the same time.  :great:

Running big halogen lights these days is like riding a 10+ year old bike  :eek:
You can mange big draw from lighting by going to LEDs....  that'll free up
some power for heated gear and the like.