• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What's the value of a 2007 1250 Suzuki Bandit with a seized engine?

Bud

My cousin has a 1250 bandit with under 40,000 miles and it's seized up. Givi bags and trunk. It's at a shop in Reno Nevada. It's a nice garage kept bike. Givi bags give it a BIG booty.

That's not far off from my number. Told my cousin he would be selling a pig in a poke. They don't bring anything.

Too bad it's so far away. Looks like used engines are relatively cheap on ebay and I expect that would be a one weekend day job to swap.

I'd really like more input on this question guys. Don't worry about hurt feelings. Tell me what you think. This is a nice garage kept bike with full givi luggage. It's even Ted's favorite color!

There's a red one with the side cases on Cycle Trader for $4500. Been listed for a week. 44 views, 1 saved. That's with a national audience and a turnkey bike. If the current engine could be rebuilt, then maybe the value wouldn't be hurt much, if any. Could be expensive to do if it really did seize hard. IIRC, all of these have plated bores so not a simple bore, hone and new pistons. Looks like used cylinders and pistons out there in ebayland. Likely paying someone else to do anything other than machine work would make a rebuild uneconomical unless you get lucky.

Swapping a used engine might be done for a grand or so with your own labor but that doesn't appear to be an option in this case. Once again, paying someone else would get expensive fast, assuming you could find a willing mechanic. The end result would be hard to sell except at a sharp discount so even if it's great afterward its still maybe a 3k or less result with different engine and frame #s. I'm rather tolerant of that sort of thing, so I might even be optimistic here.

Net result, before the covid-induced market weirdness, I'd think that was a $500 bike and I'd expect it would be bought by a parts seller to part out. Not sure what it might bring with the current pricing madness. You'd have to find someone who wants a Bandit, has the ability and willingness to fix it, and close enough so that transportation costs don't kill the deal.

That's my thoughts... probably wrong but hope to provoke further discussion/wags.

$100.00 for a 2007 Suzuki 1250 Bandit. I have a 2007 Bandit and blown engine or not it is worth a hell of a lot more than $100.00.
The gas tank alone in good condition is worth $350.00

Bud / I will buy the GIVI luggage and all the brackets that go with it for $300.00 and pay for ship also. I just want the 2 side bags.

Dean 251-661-6282 call me