• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wheel Weights

danmcdermott

I use the stick on wheel weights when balancing after installing a new tire. Often I find they fall off even with a well prepared application. Lately I have not used wheel weights and do not feel a difference. Recently I have tried looking for the clamp style wheel weights and have not been able to find a source.

Does anyone here use the clamp style wheel weights and if so where do you find them. Also, does anyone just not balance their wheels?

Thanks for your advice!

I have never lost a stick on one if I scrub the area with alcohol. For track wheels they get the extra layer of duct tape in corresponding color. For bigger touring bikes or ones not likely to spent much time over 120, you may get away with not balancing the rear...newer tires are better right from the factory, but I would always want my front dialed in. Not sure about Dyna Beeds, i hate changing tires with them in it as they always spill some and are a hazard on the floor.

I unfortunately never lost a weight off a rim when I used a shop for tire changes. 1st time I changed the c-14's tires found 10 weights on each tire. Spread in 3 locations on the rim. Only use 3 when I change them. I have clamp type weights on a Honda. Only needed 1 0f 3 on each tire. I know they're balanced cause my mileage is beyond anything I achieved before I started mounting my tires. The C-14 rims do not seem compatible for clamp type weights.

never lost a stick on weight, and still have the kaw C14 clip ons from original, I do my own tires, use a heat gun, and scrape off the stick on ones, clean and mark that spot (just for giggles) and when I apply new weights, I use 2 layers of the 3M foam backed trim tape, after cleaning the weights with gumout also.. they stay on for me..

I find the new tires, at least the Mich's, are very precise, and require very little fiddling, but I balance every tire, and never think about them until I replace them.. never have any issues.

years back, I used slime in tube tires, never ever wanted to play the "beads" game.. even when I didn't have TPS sensor rims.. never wanted "gooooo" in my rims either.. a stick on works great, all I can say.

I been using the Motion Pro stick on weights with good luck ... I do clean the area very very well first.  I almost think .. almost.. that the newer Michelins are fine  with out balancing and I try too hard to make em perfect. MOB why 2 layers of trim tape? just wondering

I reuse my stick ons using 3m tape. I also used to seal the edge with a bit of silicone. Never lost any with or without the silicone. Test them  good too  :)
Wayne

Last year's rear tire wasn't balanced, for reason I don't recall, and I never noticed the difference (occasional speeds to 120).
Front tire off-balance would be different...

strum said:
I been using the Motion Pro stick on weights with good luck ... I do clean the area very very well first.  I almost think .. almost.. that the newer Michelins are fine  with out balancing and I try too hard to make em perfect. MOB why 2 layers of trim tape? just wondering

force of habit, the tape on the ancient lead weights was always pretty thick, and didn't need it, but the "modern" steel/non-lead" weights seem to have pretty thin cheasy tape, so I got in the habit of using the added tape to make the junction "thicker", and as the adhesives stick so well to each other, they tend to hold on for a long time; also, the new weights being so hard, don't conform to the curved rim lip very well... the added tape allows a good filling bond.

It also makes it easier to remove a weight if desired, using a razor blade, by cutting the foam, and then I can use a heat gun and a plastic scraper to remove the remnants..

I have clamp on weights on the center line of the wheel in ONE location. Way too many of them but I didn't do them and I didn't pay for it either. The C10 wheel is not made for them to be balanced well which explains extra weight but they do work well. IMHO  glamp on weights are for pussies who don't take the time to install stickies right.

gorilla snot: https://www.cbperformance.com/v/vspfiles/photos/3902-2.jpg?v-cache=1561625834

Too many weights are usually signs of not being well balanced. One weight and if it calls for another either add or reduce the mass of the 1 weight.  Moving the tire on the rim can reduce the need for large amounts of weights. 

I ran a tire store (chain) and we used 3M gorrilla snot (It was yellow) around the weight when weights were unable to be seen, clear silicon if they were. We bought the better weights from Myers Tire Supply and used the snot as a signature.