• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Whens the next SW regional rally?

In the four years I've been a COG member, there has never been much. I have organized two rides, and a total of three COG members have show up. I think there may be a BBQ campout each year, but I don't think its been posted here much.

Start one!

Old Man on a Connie for Nevada AAD!

~/~      (There's no s*** disturber icon on this board so I have to go old school.)

;D

Good enough to ride to here:

...via Death Valley... :motonoises:

Attachments

• crowbar-small.jpg
    crowbar-small.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 93
Seriously, next year I was thinking of organizing the First Annual Death Valley 4th of July Bake Off.  Ride around DV and take pictures at Badwater with a thermometer reading 125 degrees.  :great:  We need a counterpoint to all those pictures of Connies in the snow.

We can barbecue at my place in Pahrump at the end of the day.

I can host one in Berkeley almost any time of the year.  Fall is nice; but ready for anything (except Christmas).

Anyone interested?

Bruce

The real issue is that the SW area is so large that it's tough to get from one end to the other in a day.  Makes it tough to have a single rally easily accessible to all.  We would have to rotate it around like the national to be fair.

We used to hold a rally at Mammoth every year or two. Day ride from NorCal, SoCal, Nevada and even western Utah, but still a long truck from Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. See the problem?

I'll be seeing Linda at the BBQ ride in October so I'll talk to her about it then. She used to be the host for the Mammoth rally.

An alternative would to do something in the Panguitch or St. George, Utah area. But that's a long truck for just about everyone.

As for DV in July.... let us know where to send the remains.  :rotflmao:

I thought only hookers lived in Pahrump.  :)

BTDT Cman and too much dry heat for me. Plays hell with my sensitive complexion. :)) Been to the crowbar. Nice chunk of road. Gimme a shout next time you saddle up. All are good suggestions. From Vegas everythings a day away at least. Really like Cedar City UT. Like the idea of a rolling rally too. Don't really care as long as we have something. AD listenin?

JPavlis_CA said:
We used to hold a rally at Mammoth every year or two. Day ride from NorCal, SoCal, Nevada and even western Utah, but still a long truck from Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. See the problem?

I'll be seeing Linda at the BBQ ride in October so I'll talk to her about it then. She used to be the host for the Mammoth rally.

An alternative would to do something in the Panguitch or St. George, Utah area. But that's a long truck for just about everyone.

As for DV in July.... let us know where to send the remains.  :rotflmao:

I thought only hookers lived in Pahrump.  :)

The Northeast area is only large because it includes the Hudson Bay Company's territory.  ;D

But yeah, I was thinking the size was partly a barrier to a rally because no matter what it's too far for some people, so maybe rotating it would fix that.  Maybe that's not the main reason.

I recuse myself from the selection process because Vegas is near the center of mass of the population and I don't want it to sound like I am too self serving.

However I would like to hold the Bake Off next year.  Ride, Roast, Eat, Sleep, Repeat.  You should visit and perform your own in depth study to discover what percentage of the Pahrump population earns their living in that manner.  ;D

Maybe a DV wildflower ride next March, since it appears we are having a rainy start to the fall.  More hospitable temps then.

CaffeineMan said:
The Northeast area is only large because it includes the Hudson Bay Company's territory.  ;D

Hey now  ;D  You guys have the riding weather... should have the most activities on the schedule.
A wise old Coggers once said... plan it and they will come.  It may take several events and some consistent periodic meet n greets to get build a stronger participation.

Don't recuse yourself, step up and host a rally! There's some decent riding southeast of Vegas.

There's usually a DV ride in February. Used to be a bunch of COdGers that would go, but now it's everybody from Connie's to Feejers to 'Stroms. I'll touch base with George Jercich at the BBQ ride to see when it's happening this year.

And I ain't going anywhere near DV in mid-summer. Did that once, NEVER again. Not until I get a reefer unit for the bike and me.  ;D

Count me in for your March ride Cman.
S :s_hi: T (I think this is that icon you were looking for) :)

From mos to of us here in AZ, Vegas is a single day ride.  I just figured it was central, lots of options for sleeping, and there is some great rides around the lake to the north on a little stretch of 2-lane that is beautiful.  I don't live there, but it would be fun.

Maybe there should be a "Rocky Mountain Region"...you'd all be welcome to visit...and it would cut down on the three-day rides to get from one corner to the other of the SW Region...

Oops!  Was that out loud...? ::)

CRocker said:
Maybe there should be a "Rocky Mountain Region"...you'd all be welcome to visit...and it would cut down on the three-day rides to get from one corner to the other of the SW Region...

Did I just hear a volunteer, Brad?  ;D

CRocker said:

Would there be a fee involved for visiting MC heaven? That last one was kinda pricey  :) Maybe a So west and a Mid so west? Kinda sowest kinda midwest? Connienental divide region?

JPavlis_CA said:
CRocker said:

Did I just hear a volunteer, Brad?  ;D

Uhh...mebbe...(I guess that was out loud...)

Old Man on a Connie said:
CRocker said:

Would there be a fee involved for visiting MC heaven? That last one was kinda pricey  :) Maybe a So west and a Mid so west? Kinda sowest kinda midwest? Connienental divide region?

I suspect that your "fee" was totally right wrist induced... :rotflmao:

Durango, CO is a great place for a rally - good jumping off point for great riding. But then, there's lots of places like that.

The general center of the region is Page, AZ. Now I can live with that, the east end of Glen Canyon is jaw dropping amazing. But I'm not familiar enough with the area to put on a rally there. Best time of year, lodging, riding opportunities....
anybody willing to step up, I'll support. As an AAD for 5 years, host of several rally's including the first leg of the 2000 National Rolling Rally in Brian Head, UT, I have a wee bit of experience. I can provide guidance, but putting it on.... I don't know if I want to devote that much time, and it does take time, lots of it.

A bunch go from the San Fernando Valley to Tonopah on the first full weekend of January. Great time to see Death Valley!
About something sooner, I am going on a grand ride October 6-7 from Acton to Yosemite to Santa Maria. sponsored by the SC-MA. Hope I am not the only Connie going.
http://www.sc-ma.com/grand_tour.html

There are some excellent riding possibilities here in the southwest region. I think that we ought to do more, perhaps having mini rallys in your areas that you know and are close to. Then there would be choices. I especially love southern Utah and if there is some interest I would be willing to put together a rally/ride together with some help.

Late September is the best time-its cooling off and the fall colors are coming out.
Southern Utah has every thing from red rock desert to high mountain passes (although not as high as Colorado).
Two or three day event. (its a ways to get there so might as well enjoy it)

In my 1 year with this fine group of folks I've had the opportunity to ride with Postrucks, DGold and CRocker on this thread. Came close with Cman but he was convalescing and riding a chinese dirt bike.  :)) looking forward to riding with and meeting the rest of you. Looks like lot's of volunteers. Need to get the regional leadership group involved. Jim, I'll volunteer with you for a 3 day in UT. Bet we could suck in Mike B and Brad too. JP, you and Steve seem like old hands compared to us. How do we do this? Jim, I need your help with some pics for the 2013 national. May get them in the concourier? I'll PM you.

FYI - there are rally and ride hosting guideline documents in the in the member library Ride & Rally How To section.  These may help get you going and answer some questions.

Mark - southwest Utah is great just about anytime of year for a rally, except winter. Summer is nice, but getting there can be real miserable. Too late to plan for something this year, but late spring to early fall would be good.

There's a nice resort in Brian Head, UT that is the perfect jumping off point to hold a rally. Brian Head is just south of Parowan. Might be able to use my contacts to get some sort of discount/package deal.

As for Concourier pics, email editor@cog-online.org for details.

Steve, Thanks. I've searched and searched and cannot find this mystery library. Can you send a link. It sounds helpful. JP, Thank you sir. I'm working with the 2013 rally committee and that's why we went on the rally recon ride. Jim was a regular shutterbug and Collin was asking for pics for his promo article. Thank you both for your help. I really enjoy this club. Need to get this Sowest together. :beerchug:

Steve, Thanks. I've searched and searched and cannot find this mystery library. Can you send a link. It sounds helpful. JP, Thank you sir. I'm working with the 2013 rally committee and that's why we went on the rally recon ride. Jim was a regular shutterbug and Collin was asking for pics for his promo article. Thank you both for your help. I really enjoy this club. Need to get this Sowest together. :beerchug:

Give a man a link and provide data for a day... teach a man to find a link and provide data for life.

1) Go to the source of all COG info... the main web pages at: www.cog-online.org
2) Select Member Area from the top menu (login if prompted)
3) Select Member Links -> Library
4) Select the library section (in this case, Ride & Rally How To)
5) Happy reading

S Smith said:

Give a man a link and provide data for a day... teach a man to find a link and provide data for life.

1) Go to the source of all COG info... the main web pages at: www.cog-online.org
2) Select Member Area from the top menu (login if prompted)
3) Select Member Links -> Library
4) Select the library section (in this case, Ride & Rally How To)
5) Happy reading
I like a challenge. Gettin' ready to go fishin'. :great:

"Give a man a link and provide data for a day... teach a man to find a link and provide data for life."

A fav of mine: Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire - and he 'll be warm the rest of his life!