• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Where is this oil coming from?

BrianG

I have an oil drip that seems to come and go. I can not find the source of it. Sometimes I will find a small puddle under the bike but can often go for many weeks without any sign of drip. There is a sign of old oil (not wet) on the bottom inch or so of the shock but I don't see any above that. Where could this be coming from?
Connie oil drip_small.jpg

Common oil drips are from the seal on the water pump and from the air box due to over filling with oil. There's always the valve cover up top. You can put dye in the oil and use a black light, I think, to make it easier to find where it is coming from.

The water pump is too low and too far forward. The airbox drains to the right of the bike. There no accumulation of oil in it.
The current drip started after an oil/filter change. Three liters came out, three liters went in. I don't think the drip is oil change related though because it seems to come and go and looks like it is originating from inside the shock boot. I may have to resort to UV dye to track it down.

There is oil inside the rear shock - perhaps its seal is leaking. I'd pull it and check there first before spending any more time chasing another leak.

Oh man. I think that removal of the rear shock is above my mechanical ability and willingness to take on.

Its not too bad really. You don't need to remove the swing arm.

Bike on Center Stand - side covers off.

Something to control level of swing arm like a small jack.

Unscrew the dampening adjuster and the air valve nuts holding them to the right side of the frame.

On the shock - remove two bolts, one on top and one on the bottom.

Might need to remove 1 more bolt connecting the dog bone linkages to the rocker to swing it out of the way, to pull shock out the bottom.

Depends. Sometimes the seal will leak if there is crud caught under it. Here is a thread with some info on cleaning the seal:

Aftermarket replacement shocks for the C10 are few and far between - and expensive. You can fit a ZZR 1200 or a C14 rear shock onto a C10 with minimal modifications - search the site for info. Those would be less expensive and used ones can be sourced. Used C10 shocks are readily available on FleaBay.

If it's not leaking, you should probably change the oil while its out - very easy and Murph has a kit for it if you want to go that route.

Also make sure to inspect and grease that shock linkage. (y)

If it's not leaking, you should probably change the oil while its out - very easy and Murph has a kit for it if you want to go that route.
I read that post about cleaning the seal. That may be worth a try once I stare at it awhile to get a vision of the shock removal process.

I don't find anything on Murph's site related to changing the oil in the shock. Am I missing it?
Are there instructions anywhere else on how to go about it?

It appears Murph does not sell the rear shock service kit anymore. I'll see if I can find the instructions that came with the one I bought a few years ago.

Thanks Bud. I had already ordered one off a 2002 through E-Bay (no idea about mileage). It just arrived. I came back here to review removal suggestions and saw your post. The one I received looks fine externally. I'll be back if it proves to be junk.

The replacement shock is installed. Aired it up to 30 psi then went for a 20 minute test ride. All seems good!

Reactions: Bud
I believe so. While it was out I did another search for a source without finding anything. There is no sign of oil at the base of the shock now (19 hours and 10 miles after install).

I haven't removed the boot off the old shock nor do I have any desire to. I intend to bleed the air out and then scrap it.

Thank you for your advice.