• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Which model Quick Shifter

2andblue

COG Executive Director
I think a Quickshifter would be a fun accessory. Seems there are generally two types: Ignition or Fuel cut. I can see the benefit of both.

Any long term users?

A few examples below - any thoughts?

Ignition Cut
Healtech - RPM Programmable Activation, maintenance mode
Annitori Pro 2 - Flexibility

Fuel Cut
ShiftFX

I've only heard of ignition cut myself. I would think if you only cut fuel and not spark whatever fuel residue left in there would ignite if there still was spark. Just a thought..

2and blue, are you a racer, or is this just a toy?
The ignition cut used to be the only thing available for carbureted bikes. I can see where either would work on injected bikes as any unburnt fuel would burn quickly, but may take just an instant to burn. But that instant, may offer a smoother shift.

Ride safe, Ted

2and blue, are you a racer, or is this just a toy?
That all depends on who you ask? :eek:

I am not a racer - it is just a toy. We always ride 2-up and enjoy spirited riding, I could see the enhancement smoothing out High RPM shifts namely 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th and occasionally 4th to 5th.

Anyone who is curious - High RPM shifts beyond the 2nd to 3rd shift are done on a ‘closed course’ 😇 .

I have educated myself a little on the various reasonable options and come down to a handful of examples as shown above. There are even a few that cut both fuel and spark but are more costly and complicated. My biggest concerns are:
  1. Can any damage result from disrupting the coils over the long haul
  2. Gearbox damage potential
  3. Shift lever or shift lever bearing damage from firmer use of lever
  4. If ignition cut is chosen will unburnt fuel for the ~ 100 milliseconds result in excessive backfiring, fuel getting passed the rings to the crankcase oil or fouling of plugs. - Converter is long gone so that is not an issue.
  5. Disturbing the exquisite tuning done by my tuner - suppose a call to them is in order.
Any thoughts or experience around the above - I’m wide open for feedback.

The reason I asked is, the quick shift {momentary spark/fuel kill} is primarily listed as "done at WOT".
As this system is programable, I wonder if you could use it on the road at partial throttle?
ie; Does the system know your throttle position?

Ride safe, Ted

These systems here do not have any throttle positioning capability, that I am aware of. I believe the WOT is not a necessity but is a demand for many that are seeking such a device.

Similarly though I think I would only want to use the device for the higher RPM shifts where you are getting on it and want the fun of an instant shift - most other times just use the clutch.

Spoke with tuner - they are recommending the Annitori model, I will call them and find out if their unit can be programmed with minimum RPM before engagement - like the Healtech.

Tuner noted a small amount of fuel collection is possible and a harmless pop may occur. The larger concern is the timing, make certain there is ample spark cutout time to allow for shift without extra pressure where a shift fork could be bent or other damage to the transmission.

Toys, toys, toys ! :devilish:

I looked into these several years ago and just decided to not use one.

I just "pre-load" the shifter and with a slight roll-off & roll-on of the throttle, the up-shift is performed. Yes, it does take practice to do this smoothly.

On a side note, my shift linkage is setup in the Moto GP pattern (1 Up, 2-6 Down) which allows for going to a higher gear as I'm exiting and accelerating out of a tight left corner.

Pope:
Did you decide against for a specific mechanical concern / reason?

The clutchless shifting you describe above how long have you been doing this? Also how many miles a year are you riding?

Thank You for the feedback.

I looked into these several years ago and just decided to not use one.

I just "pre-load" the shifter and with a slight roll-off & roll-on of the throttle, the up-shift is performed. Yes, it does take practice to do this smoothly.

On a side note, my shift linkage is setup in the Moto GP pattern (1 Up, 2-6 Down) which allows for going to a higher gear as I'm exiting and accelerating out of a tight left corner.
I agree. The same clutchless shifting technique works for either up or down shifting. Riders have been doing this for years. It made me wonder why the big deal for quick shifters.

How did you change your shift linkage like that? More than once, I've been caught with my toe scraping the pavement because I left it on the shift linkage for upshifting coming out of the corner. It was a bad habit that I had to break.

Chris

I agree. The same clutchless shifting technique works for either up or down shifting. Riders have been doing this for years. It made me wonder why the big deal for quick shifters.

Speaking for myself - I wanted to find a solution that supported clutch-less shifting that was least likely to damage the machine, be repetitive and was fun to use.

I have tried the aforementioned process, it works, however we only ride 2-up and any jerkiness at all is not received well. I really don’t have the opportunity to learn without having some roughness, like you all did when you first started to learn the amount / speed of roll off needed.

I have used a Healtech on 2 different bikes, they are flat out amazing. On both, mine was set up for up and downshift and never had an issue. It doesn't require full throttle, I set the lower threshold @3500rpm and never used it on the 1-2 shift. The most appealing part was using it during normal riding, it helps smooth everything out. The healtech has an app that you set all the parameters on and is easily changed for experimentation, you just pull over and change the parameters, close the app and try them out. The best part is, if you seel your bike, just remove it and you can use it on your next bike.

Speaking for myself - I wanted to find a solution that supported clutch-less shifting that was least likely to damage the machine, be repetitive and was fun to use.

I've up shifted mine clutchless for the last 200,000 - 225,000 miles. I don't preload it, just give a bump up as you would using the clutch. It's smooth as silk shifting like this.

So now at 241,000 miles if the transmission goes out, is it just worn out or boke because of clutchless shifting?

@2andblue - There wasn't an "Mechanical Reason", it's just that For Me, I don't feel the need for it. As for how long I've been shifting like this.... over 6 years. I haven't ridden much these past 2 years due to personal family reasons, but a normal riding year I'd clock 10-15K miles.
Lastly....... From your comments about the needing to be smooth, a Quick Shifter would most likely be your best option.

@Daboo - To change from Standard Shifter Pattern to Moto GP, just remove the bolt that retains the Shifter Leaver to the Transmission Input Shaft, slide the Leaver off, Clock it 180 Deg's, slide it back on, reinstall the retaining bolt and adjust the Shifter Turnbuckle to locate the Shifter to your liking.
*** Make sure that when you're clocking the Shift Leaver that it's 180 Deg's (or as close as possible), because a little more or less can cause less than smooth shifting.***

Also, for anyone who does the Moto GP Shifter Setup, ride with it for a minimum of 2 tanks of fuel before you give up on it. It takes time to get your Mussel Memory to accept the change and it does feel Un-Natural for a while.

I have used a Healtech on 2 different bikes, they are flat out amazing. On both, mine was set up for up and downshift and never had an issue. It doesn't require full throttle, I set the lower threshold @3500rpm and never used it on the 1-2 shift. The most appealing part was using it during normal riding, it helps smooth everything out. The healtech has an app that you set all the parameters on and is easily changed for experimentation, you just pull over and change the parameters, close the app and try them out. The best part is, if you seel your bike, just remove it and you can use it on your next bike.
Bmidd - To be clear at least one of the 2 different bikes was this a C-14?

Good info.. Answered a lot of my concerns.

Ride safe, Ted

Bmidd - To be clear at least one of the 2 different bikes was this a C-14?
No. 2007 FZ1 and a 2010 ZX-14.
I bought the FZ1 unit brand new and sold the Healtech after I wadded it up. I bought a used Healtech for the ZX14 and sold it with the bike, mainly because it was a last minute deal and it's a nightmare to remove all the plastic. I won't put one on the C14, just because I trade bikes so often and the next bike wil have a factory unit.

Attachments

• 20200808_125021.jpg
    20200808_125021.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Clean.jpg
    Clean.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 155