• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Which should I buy? Michelin PR 4 GT or Angel GT tires?

shredran

Hi all, it's that time again. I bought a set of PR 4 GT tires and have ridden 12,000 miles on both of them thus far; front definitely has life left, but rear needs replacing immediately. Considering the Angel GT tire this time around just to see how it performs. Have any of you experienced both of these options ? Let me know! All i care about is handling and overall life. I ride to work daily, 15 miles each way (all highway) and do many 100-200 rides per year, of which have about 1/4 highway and 3/4 mountain style roads, some twisties and some straightaways, etc. i like in the bay area, CA. Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!

Shredran said:
Hi all, it's that time again. I bought a set of PR 4 GT tires and have ridden 12,000 miles on both of them thus far; front definitely has life left, but rear needs replacing immediately. Considering the Angel GT tire this time around just to see how it performs. Have any of you experienced both of these options ? Let me know! All i care about is handling and overall life. I ride to work daily, 15 miles each way (all highway) and do many 100-200 rides per year, of which have about 1/4 highway and 3/4 mountain style roads, some twisties and some straightaways, etc. i like in the bay area, CA. Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!

I've used and like both; performance-wise and longevity! Lately, I've found the Angel GT's (A=Spec) cheaper, so that has been the deciding factor for me.

On a dry road I would say the Angel GT's are your best bet.  If your the type of rider that finds yourself riding on wet roads ar caught in rain you should go with the Michelin PR 4 GT...I don't think there is any better tire for wet roads.

What if I only replace back tire with Angel GT but decide to keep the PR4 on the front until it reaches end of life? Some ppl always swap both; I’m looking to save $$ in this case though so i may have to do the front at a later time

I would agree with the wet weather aspect. I ride in all sorts of weather and this spring/summer we have had plenty of rain with several trips to Michigan, Chicago and Southeast Ohio on a pair of Angels. jwh spooned them on late last summer and I broke them in on Southeast Ohio roads. Felt pretty good and I added an Indiana to Chatham VA trip followed by a Muncie to Barrington IL jaunt. Performed well but were always a bit skittery in the rain compared to the PR3 and PR4s I had used. Better than the Dunlops i had on the 08 and way better than the stockers in all respects. Hard riding tire too. Good feedback but let you know when the expansion cracks were there. .

I put them on with 34K on the bike and just went out and looked sitting at 46K now. 12K is less than I have got on any of the PR2, 3 or 4s.

Living in IN we have a lot of straight, flat roads. When the tire stops turning in and feels squared off on turns I start looking. Pre ride this weekend over to the IN Ride to Eat I noted that they were "squarer" than when I left Chicago last Saturday AM. Today I went out for lunch and saw a bare spot about 2 inches long on the center of the tire. Was not there when I left this AM so I was not happy. Leaving for San Antonio in the AM so she will have to wait till I get back for a set of new PR4s with a 55 on the rear.

For my money, anyweather security and predictability I will stay with the PR4s....I have a feeling that will be a long term relationship even to the point if I have to make a choice I will go back to the PR3 that served me well before I go out on any more experiments.

Tried the Angels but going back to the PR4. 

Shredran said:
What if I only replace back tire with Angel GT but decide to keep the PR4 on the front until it reaches end of life? Some ppl always swap both; I’m looking to save $$ in this case though so i may have to do the front at a later time

That's a question only you can answer.

Manufacturers and those interested in the utmost of safety will tell you to never mix and match.

However, if you think you can handle how each tire will work differently than intended, go for it.

How are so many getting 10-12k miles on a set of tires? PR4s last me a maximum of 4k, I'd love to see 6k. Do you have nice custom suspension or running super high inflation pressure? What's the secret?

I am not sure how they do it either.  I get about 6k max.  I always claimed it was because they resurface most back roads here and across the south with chip seal method which is noting more than chipped glass stuck to the road with tar.  On a 90 degree day and a 40 mph side wind you can eat a tire up in 1000 miles.  I try to ride when it is cooler than that but the roads are what they are here. 

HeavyRotation said:
How are so many getting 10-12k miles on a set of tires? PR4s last me a maximum of 4k, I'd love to see 6k. Do you have nice custom suspension or running super high inflation pressure? What's the secret?

I don't know the secret, but I am definitely grateful to be getting the mileage I am. I double checked the front tire this AM; I'm close enough to need replacing that I'll just buy a set to make it easier (I also have to put back in my TPMS sensors which Fred Harmon is repairing for me). But yes, I ride mostly between speeds of 60-85mph max, I take freeways probably 50% of the time, the other remaining being a mix of surface streets (35-45mph) and then occasional big trips to and through the Sierra Nevadas, most recently doing about 700 miles to the sierras, then all through the mountains and around Lake Tahoe hugging the shoreline. it was incredible. The roads can get super hot here in the South Bay Area (San Jose), but more often than not I'm going in a straight line not turning as much as my big trips of course. It hardly EVER rains here, only in the winter months. And when it does, I don't ride in the rain. PR4s brand new were put on at 21,500miles and I now have just under 33,500. So nearly 13k miles on both front and back. Honestly I could probably get even more life but I won't risk it.

Shredran said:
HeavyRotation said:

I don't know the secret, but I am definitely grateful to be getting the mileage I am. I double checked the front tire this AM; I'm close enough to need replacing that I'll just buy a set to make it easier (I also have to put back in my TPMS sensors which Fred Harmon is repairing for me). But yes, I ride mostly between speeds of 60-85mph max, I take freeways probably 50% of the time, the other remaining being a mix of surface streets (35-45mph) and then occasional big trips to and through the Sierra Nevadas, most recently doing about 700 miles to the sierras, then all through the mountains and around Lake Tahoe hugging the shoreline. it was incredible. The roads can get super hot here in the South Bay Area (San Jose), but more often than not I'm going in a straight line not turning as much as my big trips of course. It hardly EVER rains here, only in the winter months. And when it does, I don't ride in the rain. PR4s brand new were put on at 21,500miles and I now have just under 33,500. So nearly 13k miles on both front and back. Honestly I could probably get even more life but I won't risk it.
That's outstanding. I ride mostly rural two lane and 25% unmarked single lane that's chip sealed, i commute but it's not far and i avoid interstates like the plague. I have 2k on my latest set and they're already at 50% but it's summer so I'm carrying max angle pretty frequently. Im going to try the Angels next because i traditionally like the steeper, sharper steering front carcass pirelli uses. Some of the wear has to be suspension related, I've got max preload on the shock to give me all the clearance I can get, need to look into some adjustable pegs to gain another inch or so.

HeavyRotation said:

Road surface probably has more to do with than anything.

I know I get pretty close to 15k from my Angels.

I know a lot of people in TX complain that the road surfaces there are pretty much sandpaper and neve get high mileage out of any tire.

Thanks for the answers to my question. Im sure i could do a little better than i do if I wasn't hooning so frequently, but we got really nice roads around here and no traffic or patrol so it's easy to play Street Rossi more than I should. I agree though that surface must play a large part in such a difference. Ride safe!

Egodriver71 said:
HeavyRotation said:

Road surface probably has more to do with than anything.

I know I get pretty close to 15k from my Angels.

I know a lot of people in TX complain that the road surfaces there are pretty much sandpaper and neve get high mileage out of any tire.

... and I get nearly 18K on my Angels; similar mileage. Got the same on PR4's too.

It wasn't asked but there are other options.  I just got a set of Continental Road Attack 3 I want to try and got a good deal plus a $60 rebate.  Currently running the Conti RA2 and like them a lot.

I've had the Continental Road Attack 3 tires on now for about 5000 miles.  I like them, a lot.

The top of the line motorcycle tires are all about the same now IMHO, despite the marketing folks trying to say they aren't.  Dry performance has been great for years.  Wet performance has improved significantly.  And longevity is also increasing.  The companies are all chasing the same goals.

To me, the difference comes down now to cost.  The Continental Road Attack 3 won some significant awards.  The Dunlop Road Smart III also.  Both are at the low end of the price chart, especially when you toss in the rebates.

Chris

Folks, allow me to be the latest guinea pig for you ALL. I ordered the Angel GT's ( not the 2nd gen, the first to save $). I'm going to install them tomorrow and re-insert my TPMS sensors since I fixed the batteries in them. I'll report back here on how I like them, as well as the final mileage once that time comes. So it's PR 4 versus Angel GT for me! I'll be doing a monster ride around CA next weekend; beginning in San Jose and east through sierras and into Yosemite national park. Should be a great ride to break in these new Angels. Probably close to 1k miles in  a weekend. Guy coming with me is on a Harley LOL.

Wish I could get 12-13k out of a set . The best Ive got so far is 7k on a set of P4 GTs  The rear was toast  but i may have gotten 500 -1000 more out of the front.

After a few years of using Angel GT A-spec's and my last set lasting nearly 10.5K miles, I'm going to try something new. I have the PR4 GT's mounted and after a short dry ride, they feel good initially in the short twisty curves in my area. Only time and weather will tell how they'll hold up. I'm hoping these PR4 GT's have a good grip in the our rainy winter season and can last just as long as the Angel's did!  >:D

strum said:
Wish I could get 12-13k out of a set . The best Ive got so far is 7k on a set of P4 GTs  The rear was toast  but i may have gotten 500 -1000 more out of the front.

I am thankful that I got 12.5 out of the Angels. No interstate, mostly US and State highways in all sorts of weather, always 42 psi cold. Not many curves in Indiana, ohio, Illinois and Michigan but long trips down to VA on US 35 through Ohio are 4 lanes. Most days are 150 to 4oo miles with short days of 30 to 60 mile commutes on state highways. Wear is all straight lines with the only curves being when I turn out of the driveway and the cloverleaf at the end of the road if I am heading south on the 4 lane.

PR4s usually give me 15K easy. Most miles at 62 mph on state roads and 73 on 4 lanes. Things are what they are....if I had some curves i would be a little happier but I am really impressed as the first day on the Michelins we had buckets of rain and I remembered how nice they are on the wet stuff

robertv said:
After a few years of using Angel GT A-spec's and my last set lasting nearly 10.5K miles, I'm going to try something new. I have the PR4 GT's mounted and after a short dry ride, they feel good initially in the short twisty curves in my area. Only time and weather will tell how they'll hold up. I'm hoping these PR4 GT's have a good grip in the our rainy winter season and can last just as long as the Angel's did!  >:D

I LOVE my Angel GTs, but you're not going to be disappointed by the PR4 GTs

I spooned off my rear Angel GT 2 A-spec last night in prep for a new of the same; front going on the gig next. I've loved them; haven't used the Michelin set because I've been so pleased with the Pirelli I haven't bothered to change. These are not completely shot (8k or so on them), but I have another trip or two planned and my front it worn enough for handling to deteriorate. I bought this set @ Revzilla for $329; less than the set I bought last August.

I hope so! I've read/heard so many positives on the PR4 GTs its worth trying. I'm definitely a huge fan of the Angel GTs especially the A-specs. I want to say I've been using Angels for about 5 yrs with great mileage, excellent handling and cornering. Yet I had nothing to compare it to in terms of riding experience, or any other tire for that matter. Previous years I've always found a deal on the GTs, this year- nothing at least based on timing. I had to shell out some extra $ for the PR4s, so going to make it count when it matters to get a feel for these puppies!  :great:

Egodriver71 said:
I LOVE my Angel GTs, but you're not going to be disappointed by the PR4 GTs

freebird6 said:
strum said:

I am thankful that I got 12.5 out of the Angels. No interstate, mostly US and State highways in all sorts of weather, always 42 psi cold. Not many curves in Indiana, ohio, Illinois and Michigan but long trips down to VA on US 35 through Ohio are 4 lanes. Most days are 150 to 4oo miles with short days of 30 to 60 mile commutes on state highways. Wear is all straight lines with the only curves being when I turn out of the driveway and the cloverleaf at the end of the road if I am heading south on the 4 lane.

PR4s usually give me 15K easy. Most miles at 62 mph on state roads and 73 on 4 lanes. Things are what they are....if I had some curves i would be a little happier but I am really impressed as the first day on the Michelins we had buckets of rain and I remembered how nice they are on the wet stuff
Plenty of curves in southern Indiana!  Come on down! :motonoises: :motonoises:

Ive read So many tire threads like this one, and I'm just gonna say it:

If you're getting 10K miles on a set of tires, you simply aren't trying hard enough.  :nananana:

Exercise that throttle hand, it'll make you young again!

gr

I could not agree more.  Bridgestone S21's I can not get more than 3000 miles out of the rear and about 8K out of a front.  Did a 4K trip this summer with a Road 5 on the rear and got 6500 miles but at least 3K was freeway.  My guess is for my normal riding the road 5 would be good for about 4500 miles.  Not worth the extra money becasue I mount and balance my own tires.  I am 70 years old and ride hard mostly on the back roads of SW Wisconson.  Anyone getting high mileage on any kind of tire is not having much fun IMHO. :)

I wore out my PR4s in about 6k, that's ther most miles ive ever gotten on a set of tires. I think it's the sport tourer, I've run way more highway and freeway than i ever did on my sport bikes. After careful perusal of sl the available options, I've ordered a 55 series Angel ST to drag around behind a Diablo Rosso 3 front tire. I'm happiest with the sharper steering profile of pirelli supersport tires and generally wear out a softer front at the same rate as a harder rear. The Michelins lasted nicely and stuck ok though they got greasy feeling when pushed hard. The last thousand miles the front has steered like a truck though. Looking forward to getting back on the Pirellis.