• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cedar City, Utah Weekend Rally?! August 11th-13th! It's on!!

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
I was messaging Terry Defreese Utah's AAD about a possible rally in his beautiful area! We think we can pull it off! I found rooms at the Comfort Inn and Suites in the $110.00 range with tax for Friday and Saturday nights. Not sure how long those prices will hold up. So who's in?! Most of you know that the roads and scenery in Utah are very hard to beat! It would be a fun!!

would love to go but with national, big bend and devil's cut that's a bit more than I can do this year. if we plan one next year ...

Add Thursday and I'm your Huckleberry.
Like a run over hwy 12 to Torry and back with a side trip down the Burr trail to ride down long canyon ( its like a slot canyon for bikes ) then a walk up a dead end slot canyon. Is that what you want if you come a day early thur/Fri and get a extra ride in? If so I could be up to showing you that ride.

With all the excessive heat in the west I am going to put this rally off to later this year though likely late spring of next year. I love to ride this area and we had several riders interested but for many potential attendees the heat getting there and coming home was a negative and rates at hotels went up. We will have a rally soon again in Utah!

I love the Cedar City area around Brianhead resort. I just checked the temps in St George ( 105 ) as compared to Cedar City ( 93 ) as compared to Brianhead at 74 degrees... elevation is everything!

Yep! And coming to Cedar City and going home is also the problem if you have to cross the desert to get there and back. We will have a rally out there sometime in the next 9 months. Just too many terrific roads and places to visit not to go. :D

I just read through this and it appears the rally is postponed.

So the question comes to mind...is anyone still going for an "un-rally"?

Cross the desert in the wee hours of the morning and the trip is possible.

Chris

Okay, I'll plan for this. I may be a fool, but I've ridden in temps up to 116F for hours and survived just fine. If I didn't want a challenge, I'd drive my car with air conditioning.

Do you have a place you plan to stay? Comfort Inn? Friday and Saturday nights, 11th and 12th? Let me know. I'll start planning the trip down.

I'll confess I don't know the best roads in the area. If by myself, I'll figure it out. But I'd love to be shown around by the locals.

All too soon, the weather here in the Pacific NorthWET, will be just that. Wet. I have to take advantage of the good riding weather when I can.

I still get a chuckle out of you saying maybe we can get Daboo to take some pictures when we were at the Sierra Sidewinder last year. We'd sat together for an hour at least, and I said, "That's me.". :D

Chris

The excitement from last night has had a good night's sleep to come to grips with reality. I still really want to go. But I have to decide on a route that'll minimize the heat. Otherwise, like I told my daughter today, the ride could be a killer.

Chris

That's the thing Chris...Find a route or drive very early in the morning to do the best you can to beat the heat! I can get to Cedar City in one day but I am guessing I need to leave around 3am or earlier to get there by 12 noon. Would probably come out Thursday to have a couple of days of riding before I leave very early Sunday to get home before the heat hits me and something worse Traffic! Would it take you a couple of days to get there? It could be a killer....Be cool if Stubby could come and possibly others. Thinking Comfort Inn for a place to stay but it could be somewhere else.

I havea nice loop to show you some of what that area offers but it's about 360-370 miles for the day? I think Russ has been that fron a few years ago?

I'll be there. Just worked out a route that'll work. I'll make reservations tomorrow. It's a go for me.

Return route...that's not settled. I'm only interested in getting there.

Ephesians 6 lays out how the Christian puts on the armour of God. It reminds me of each time I ride, whether local or long distance. I put on an assortment of gear for whatever ride I take. I have to plan for the ride. Where I'm going. What the conditions will be that I'll ride in. We don't get those challenges in life today. The Ephesians understood what Paul was writing about because they saw Roman soldiers putting that armour on every day. Preparing for a ride, is much the same thing for me. Preparing for the drive...is about where I turn the dial to on the automatic air-conditioning in my car.

We have so few challenges in life today, that I'm looking forward to this.

Comfort Inn???

Chris

Would probably come out Thursday to have a couple of days of riding before I leave very early Sunday
I'm thinking something similar. I'll try to plan the ride to check in on Thursday early afternoon. It'll take at least 2 days for me to get there.

My post-retirement ride was down in that area. One of the coolest sights I've seen is this one.
AIL4fc8EP8ceb6qzjzWq-bv2yawMUU4kHnKif4zi26Iw5bw-Gxgnwtu-xP8svzWG-lrPRjhygzk20xLSv8CPw-lWT2tMXmEnr2bE3HXKuj4E_bhiYTPJ2xpxmYs65wa4HZSNZGC5K12ZT6-GcSvqfiNqVvWwog=w1673-h941-s-no

That reminds me of one of those cookies they put in a sundae, sticking up out of the ice cream. The image and cliff faces on the right are surreal.

@Stubby - What are you thinking of for rides?

Chris

Comfort Inn is good but there are other choices. I guess we need to make a decision on lodging really soon. :D I will check on booking.com.

I'm thinking something similar. I'll try to plan the ride to check in on Thursday early afternoon. It'll take at least 2 days for me to get there.

My post-retirement ride was down in that area. One of the coolest sights I've seen is this one.
AIL4fc8EP8ceb6qzjzWq-bv2yawMUU4kHnKif4zi26Iw5bw-Gxgnwtu-xP8svzWG-lrPRjhygzk20xLSv8CPw-lWT2tMXmEnr2bE3HXKuj4E_bhiYTPJ2xpxmYs65wa4HZSNZGC5K12ZT6-GcSvqfiNqVvWwog=w1673-h941-s-no

That reminds me of one of those cookies they put in a sundae, sticking up out of the ice cream. The image and cliff faces on the right are surreal.

@Stubby - What are you thinking of for rides?

Chris
That's Cainville/swing arm city area ya pretty cool looking they did a bunch of freestyle videos there. As for a ride from Cedar I was thinking Cedar>Escalante >Boulder ( side trip down the burr trail for about 16 miles it's worth it )>torry/lunch >Loa> around to Otter Creek> Junction> Panguitch> Brian Head> Cedar city.
With the side trip it's about 375 miles if I remember right? Some of it will be hot but a fair amount at 6-8K so hoping cooler? That would be one big loop and show you a lot of different southern UT. I guess maybe I should go look at my bike it's been setting there for 6 weeks Unwashed? Lol

That's a really good loop Dave!! Some I have ridden in the last year and the rest it's been a few years! I am sure your bike will be ready to go!:) (y)

Those that are interested in going next week to Cedar City and riding. Let me know here. 3 riders are staying at the Comfort Inn in Cedar City coming in on Thursday August 10th. Heading home Sunday August 13th.

I am also booked into the Comfort Inn and Suites 8/10-13. $100.00 per night for a Double Queen + tx if booked 3 nights and you are a Choice Hotels member. Booked on 8/1.

Last edited:
What is the plan for the Saturday ride? I think Dan and I are riding through Zion on the way up. I am open to whatever, just curious what the group is doing together.

What is the plan for the Saturday ride? I think Dan and I are riding through Zion on the way up. I am open to whatever, just curious what the group is doing together.
I think Saturday will be a major loop that Dave (Stubby) put together! It will have most of the really good roads and sites to see!

The shit I get myself into sometimes SMH. 🤔
Would you rather someone who lives 2000 miles away decide where to ride? :D I'll volunteer to take you (or anyone) around the Pacific Northwet...but not here. TripAdvisor would probably be better than me for Utah.

Today was great. Blue skies. Light winds. Open road before me...except for the couple mile long construction backup going toward Ellensburg. But once past that...clear sailing.

1691554433857.png

There's something about the open road before me, that catches my soul. And when it does, the miles and time go by as a delight, not a burden.

I'm surrounded by God's Creation, with a path through it all that brings me joy and delight as I pass through it. I see the beauty. The colour contrasts. The textures....and it all comes alive and fills my heart with joy.

Utah does something to me that is different than anywhere else. There is so much packed into such a small area to see and soak in.

I was a little reluctant the last couple days to leave my normal routine. A resting body is reluctant to pick itself up and embark on new adventures. At least this one is. But as I started out, instead of saying to myself, "Why are you doing this? It is crazy!" I told myself, "I can do this."

It's good to be on the road. To experience that incredible feeling of being one with the bike, and to meet up with friends at the end of the road.

Chris

Would you rather someone who lives 2000 miles away decide where to ride? :D I'll volunteer to take you (or anyone) around the Pacific Northwet...but not here. TripAdvisor would probably be better than me for Utah.

Today was great. Blue skies. Light winds. Open road before me...except for the couple mile long construction backup going toward Ellensburg. But once past that...clear sailing.

View attachment 36589

There's something about the open road before me, that catches my soul. And when it does, the miles and time go by as a delight, not a burden.

I'm surrounded by God's Creation, with a path through it all that brings me joy and delight as I pass through it. I see the beauty. The colour contrasts. The textures....and it all comes alive and fills my heart with joy.

Utah does something to me that is different than anywhere else. There is so much packed into such a small area to see and soak in.

I was a little reluctant the last couple days to leave my normal routine. A resting body is reluctant to pick itself up and embark on new adventures. At least this one is. But as I started out, instead of saying to myself, "Why are you doing this? It is crazy!" I told myself, "I can do this."

It's good to be on the road. To experience that incredible feeling of being one with the bike, and to meet up with friends at the end of the road.

Chris
Are you on a BMW by chance?

How many people are registered? Everyone keeps asking me how many people will be there. Thanks!
We are leaving Tucson tomorrow afternoon, and riding to Flagstaff. Friday, leave Flagstaff and go through Zion National Park, then on to Cedar City!
Looking forward to meeting you all!

Belt drive the one that had a rear hub problem at the BC?
o_O With that one issue at 97,000 miles, I'd say the smiles have far outweighed the frown.

And the belt drive wasn't the issue. The grease was gone on the inner bearing.

It's been going strong now for another 4K.

Chris

How many people are registered? Everyone keeps asking me how many people will be there. Thanks!
We are leaving Tucson tomorrow afternoon, and riding to Flagstaff. Friday, leave Flagstaff and go through Zion National Park, then on to Cedar City!
Looking forward to meeting you all!
I think we will have between 10-12 riders coming. Is John ( Jetfixxer) coming with you too?

I'm confused...happily. I thought the rally was canceled, so I asked if anyone was interested in an "Un-Rally". Oh my gosh! 10-12 riders showing up!

It's going to be a great time. Whatever we call it.

I got from Lewiston to Burley today. Temps great for most of the trip till the last couple hours. Mostly mid to high 90s, with a foray up to 100. Scenery was good up in the Hell's Canyon area and south.

I plan to be at the Comfort Inn for dinner. Probably sweaty and stinky, but my wife and kids say I clean up well.

Chris

o_O With that one issue at 97,000 miles, I'd say the smiles have far outweighed the frown.

And the belt drive wasn't the issue. The grease was gone on the inner bearing.

It's been going strong now for another 4K.

Chris
I just remember helping you get your bike pushed into the motel and looking at it. Glad it turned ok.

Lol I'm just over the mountain in Hatch trapped by a 2" an hr rain storm. Don't know what it's going to do to the road over to Cedar City?

Made it home today at 1:20pm local time! I had a terrific time at our Meet and Greet! Carving the Curves! The Unrally! The Riders! Let's see if I can remember all the attendees!

Attila, Chris, Tony, Dan, Peter, John, Dave, Doug, and myself!

Lots of fun roads and sites to see! Great conversation! Thank you all for coming! And a special thank you to Chris to keep the fire alive for having this Meet and Greet! The Sierra Sidewinder Rally is up next! September 15th-17th. Sign up and come! I promise you a great riding weekend! :D (y)

Dan and I had a great ride home yesterday. We arrived back into Tucson around 5pm. The ride home was amazing, well except for the last 90 minutes in 100+ degree temp and high cross winds.

This was my first COG get together and I had a blast! It was so nice to meet all of you, and the riding was top notch. Thank you to everyone for being so welcoming. I have only owned my Connie for a short time, and to be around this much wisdom was great.

I would like to make a special thank you to Dan for letting me tag along the whole way. You are very gracious, and it was great riding up to Utah, and back here to Tucson. I need to up my riding skills!

Link takes me to my FB page but not the video.
Hmm, it takes me directly to the video. I had trouble linking it to facebook at all. The shortcode used by this forum doesn't seem to work.
Try copying and pasting the link. Take the space between the https: and // out: https: //www.facebook.com/788649180/videos/1282709099019588/

Hmm, it takes me directly to the video. I had trouble linking it to facebook at all. The shortcode used by this forum doesn't seem to work.
Try copying and pasting the link. Take the space between the https: and // out: https: //www.facebook.com/788649180/videos/1282709099019588/
It may be your privacy settings. Only friends can see it?

Just got home last night. Lolo Pass was wonderful. The pavement was about as good as it gets. No traffic. A little cool. I'll post pics later after I get caught up.

Chris

A couple of pics.

The "rally" is not just the destination to me, but the trip as well.

2023-07-10 13_54_48-.png

2023-08-08 21_07_29-161001LA.MP4 ‎- Photos.png

There were a few moments of humor along the way as one guy was fascinated with my bike. A moment before, he was bent over inspecting the belt drive.

sJyfSdH.jpg

Dave, Russ and John took me sightseeing along some roads I hadn't seen before. These are the Vermillion Cliffs. I learned a new color. When I was growing up, we had eight crayons in my Crayon box, and "vermillion" wasn't one of the colors.

5G56j6u.jpg

WrGWn9F.jpg

OOWx1WZ.jpg

At the Slot Canyon.

lXVcFyw.jpg

Obligatory motorcycle pic...

eG9oLO5.jpg

UVhGvQn.jpg

vt7Qli0.jpg

On Monday, Dave (Stubby) took me out through four canyons before I headed north to home, and he headed south.

These are from Cedar Breaks National Monument. It looks a lot like Bryce Canyon.

F3ShyCQ.jpg

A little closer to pick up the detail.

dT3iL6O.jpg

jemxcl2.jpg

ssb9IWC.jpg

No, that's not me. I rarely see another F800GT in the local area, and to see one in the wild like this was pretty special for me.

gF4yFj2.jpg

Lolo Pass in one of the iconic motorcycle roads on most people's bucket list. Good reason. A pleasant river for scenery alongside a road that has one twist and turn after another for over 100 miles. The pavement was great. The traffic was non-existent. And the LEOs were absent. :)

4kFS9Gc.jpg

pgy8NlS.jpg

On Monday, Dave (Stubby) took me out through four canyons before I headed north to home, and he headed south.

These are from Cedar Breaks National Monument. It looks a lot like Bryce Canyon.

F3ShyCQ.jpg

A little closer to pick up the detail.

dT3iL6O.jpg

jemxcl2.jpg

ssb9IWC.jpg

No, that's not me. I rarely see another F800GT in the local area, and to see one in the wild like this was pretty special for me.

gF4yFj2.jpg

Lolo Pass in one of the iconic motorcycle roads on most people's bucket list. Good reason. A pleasant river for scenery alongside a road that has one twist and turn after another for over 100 miles. The pavement was great. The traffic was non-existent. And the LEOs were absent. :)

4kFS9Gc.jpg

pgy8NlS.jpg
Its a great road.

Outstanding pictures and videos!! I was going to post some pictures but I am truly in awe of what has been posted here! Just a wonderful place to visit and to ride! Thank you to all that came! I really had a terrific time on this adventure!

Outstanding pictures and videos!! I was going to post some pictures ...
Understand ... those who didn't ride that far still like photos - bikes, routes, scenery, people - 'cuz they give ideas. I hope to get down there this next year (most likely on long car tour - Denver, Utah, Phoenix, Sacramento) :)

OK! By Popular demand here are pictures I took from our very fun rally!

First two pictures from the Burr Trail!
Last three pictures from our lunch stop in Escalante at Nemo's ! Picture three -Attila, Picture 4- Doug, Dan and Peter! Picture 5-The bikes!

Attachments

• CC1.JPG
    CC1.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 45
  • CC3.JPG
    CC3.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 44
  • CC4.JPG
    CC4.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 45
  • CC5.JPG
    CC5.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 44
  • CC6.JPG
    CC6.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
More pictures!! :)

First picture Nemo's lunch stop!
Pictures two and three near Bryce Canyon NP
Pictures four and five on Highway 89 near Page, Arizona Navajo Bridge a beautiful walking only bridge over the Colorado River! Parallel to the highway bridge. A must stop!

Attachments

• CC7.JPG
    CC7.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 46
  • CC8.JPG
    CC8.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 41
  • CC9.JPG
    CC9.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 42
  • CC10.JPG
    CC10.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 42
  • CC11.JPG
    CC11.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
More Pictures! (y)

Picture one and two is the parallel bridges over the Colorado River Highway 89 and Navajo Bridge!

Pictures three and four with Dave, Chris and John near the Navajo Bridge!

Attachments

• CC15.JPG
    CC15.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 48
  • CC14.JPG
    CC14.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 47
  • CC13.JPG
    CC13.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 45
  • CC12.JPG
    CC12.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Both pictures!

Arizona! Vermillion Cliffs National Monument! Beautiful Colors!

Attachments

• CC16.JPG
    CC16.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 44
  • CC17.JPG
    CC17.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited: